Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dias posted:

My "stack" has an Anubis countdown, it usually takes 4 games for us to see the dreaded Anubis Offense and for my brother to get really mad.

i really hate that drat chokepoint. Yes you can overcome most of the BS defensive poo poo like 5 torbs or whatnot there, but its real hard to do without actual teamwork. an extra doorway would go a long way towards making that less stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Gate posted:

Mei's ult callout is terrible, for sure. It's a random phrase in Chinese that sounds like any number of the other random things she can say, then suddenly your team is frozen. Also, its not louder than normal voice lines, so it's super easy to miss in a fight. And the item itself makes almost no noise when you toss it out, until it activates and starts the freezer noise at which point you're already hosed unless you have a movement ability that will get you out.

I'm a mandarin speaker and it owns. Can't believe there are people who don't understand all of mei's lines.

Also yeah, "Dong Zhu, Bu Xu Zou" is a very typical cop phrase in chinese television dramas. The dual meaning of freeze does carry over in Mandarin as well.

Also who needs a movement ability - one lucio crossade counters mei's ult hard.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 8, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lol just smh if you didn't learn basic Mandarin French and German for the call out lines... unbelievable

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
IDK, as someone who has never known any Chinese I think it's a pretty distinct callout. Doesn't really sound like any of her other lines.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
When does the daily reset happen when you can get the "First win of the day" bonus?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ularg posted:

When does the daily reset happen when you can get the "First win of the day" bonus?

for blizzard games it's usually really early in the morning, like 3am-5am depending on time zone.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i'm going for the nogovonsteel - zarya

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Symmetra idea: Give her turrets a collision box from above so she can make stairs with them. She in no way needs this buff but flanking with her is so hilarious that I want more ways to do it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Did they change Hanzo's ult callout? I haven't played in a few days, but all of a sudden it sounds twice as fast.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

flashman posted:

Lol just smh if you didn't learn basic Mandarin French and German for the call out lines... unbelievable

loving casuals

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
A few pages back, but on the subject of Hanzo's ult:

If you are not killing people with the dragon you are probably that Hanzo that presses Q on cooldown. Wait until a fight starts. Where does the enemy want to be? Put the dragon there.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

HellCopter posted:

Did they change Hanzo's ult callout? I haven't played in a few days, but all of a sudden it sounds twice as fast.

Everyone has the wolf skin now, which changes the first word and kind of makes it less noticeable.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The other night there were probably 6 or 7 people in the process of defending/attacking spot B on Anubis and I killed them all with D.Va's ult;?That alone was worth the 60 bucks I put down for this silly game

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

FiftySeven posted:

This guy got really really salty when I asked him when he last showered.

15 days since release = 360 hours.

If we assume he sleeps 6 hours a day then that's 270.

149/270 = 55%.

55% of his waking hours playing this game.

For reference, I work a full time job and have only spent 32% of my waking hours doing that in the last 15 days.

Christ on a cracker. :psyduck: I hope he's a teenager on summer break, because otherwise wtf.

Tiggs posted:

Achievements really shouldn't be something you just complete in an afternoon, eventually you'll get lucky and the stars will align.

Like the unlocks, I prefer not to even see what's available and just be surprised.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 8, 2016

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Achievements really shouldn't be something you just complete in an afternoon, eventually you'll get lucky and the stars will align.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Zoness posted:

I'm a mandarin speaker and it owns. Can't believe there are people who don't understand all of mei's lines.

Also yeah, "Dong Zhu, Bu Xu Zou" is a very typical cop phrase in chinese television dramas. The dual meaning of freeze does carry over in Mandarin as well.

Also who needs a movement ability - one lucio crossade counters mei's ult hard.

Yeah all those Chinese cop dramas we have here in <literally any nation besides China>.

It's not that it's Chinese, mainly, it's that it's quiet. Most callouts cut through the normal sounds, they override the regular combat. HIGH NOON is loud and clear. Mei's ult is spoken like a normal interaction line and gets really drowned out. Since the orb doesn't make any noise until it's freezing you, you're hosed if you miss the incredibly quiet callout most of the time.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Mortimer posted:

I want a mime skin for mccree so he doesn't say anything during high noon

talking in whispering or mumbling ultimates = OP (wolf hanzo, any of mei's)

It's replaced with a voiceover of Tom Bodette saying "It's Mime Time"

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Tales of Woe posted:

What's the best plan for capping the second point on Volskaya when the enemy team has a bunch of torbjorns and bastions set up around it in the hallways and on the catwalks? I feel like that's one of the hardest points to get in the game even without turret hell.

If bastion/torb is set up on the back catwalk you can snipe them with impunity from the stairs leading up to the floating platforms.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

It's replaced with a voiceover of Tom Bodette saying "It's Mime Time"

Billy Crystal saying "Don't talk back, mime is money".

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Mei Ult call out sounds like "ushi da" to my English ears.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

flashman posted:

Reinhardt's line isn't even in German though. He just shouts "HAMMER DOWN!"
Oh wait I guess you're talking about Mercy huh...

Honestly the foreign-language ult lines are the easiest for me because you always know that the English ones are on your team and the non-English ones aren't. I still have a little trouble telling whether Lucio and D.Va's callouts are from my team or not.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
all the ults are easy to hear except widows which I never ever hear

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Mei's ultimate has a reverb effect attached to it.

http://rpboyer15.github.io/sounds-of-overwatch/vo/vo_hero/Mei/Mei%20-%20Default/chinese%2008.mp3 (ultimate)

vs

http://rpboyer15.github.io/sounds-of-overwatch/vo/vo_hero/Mei/Mei%20-%20Default/chinese%2029.mp3 (rise icewall)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Tiggs posted:

Some of them seem more skewed to "virtually impossible" than others, though. Like Zenyatta's one to kill 4 people in 6 seconds with Discord Orb, or however it goes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Regalingualius posted:

Some of them seem more skewed to "virtually impossible" than others, though. Like Zenyatta's one to kill 4 people in 6 seconds with Discord Orb, or however it goes.

Those achievements are secretly not about "be good at Zenyatta", but instead "have friends who are good at Zarya/Reinhardt/maybe Mei".

I got the 4-kills-in-the-air cheevo as Pharah just by pressing Q at an amazing Graviton Surge.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Raid Wipe for Torbjorn seems an easy one to get wth his Ult
(Kill 4 players)

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

The Gate posted:

Yeah all those Chinese cop dramas we have here in <literally any nation besides China>.

It's not that it's Chinese, mainly, it's that it's quiet. Most callouts cut through the normal sounds, they override the regular combat. HIGH NOON is loud and clear. Mei's ult is spoken like a normal interaction line and gets really drowned out. Since the orb doesn't make any noise until it's freezing you, you're hosed if you miss the incredibly quiet callout most of the time.

It starts beeping before it lands, though??

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Fans posted:

There's a dead area before the Ult fires off so you don't get insta gibbed and beyond that it's really not difficult to dodge. It's no different to High Noon or "I got you in my sights", but instead of needing to find cover from them you instead need to back off from cover incase a slow moving dragon bursts out of it and kills you. Which makes it easier to dodge, because there isn't always cover to hide behind but you can always just stand in an open area and wait to see which way you need to dive.

I wouldn't say it's the easiest to dodge though. That goes to D.Va, which gives you so much warning that you'll only die to it if you're asleep. Even rocket boosted in it's not hard to tell where you need to go to avoid it.

Yeah I have a lot of hours on D.Va and I still struggle at getting more than 1 person with my Ult. It really is more of an area denial tool or get out of jail card for me, like when a Roadhog hooks me and blows my mech, I know I can explode it and either catch him in the blast or escape from everyone and instantly get back my mech. Also good for dropping it on the point in overtime to deny the other team. Not good at all for blowing up large groups of people.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I want an option where the characters speak english. Yeah I know what a novelty it is to have AAA game characters say funny words in your native language but I don't speak chinese and don't really want to learn until they invade the US.

Instead of saying "alajsdflkj lkjalkdjfjsf" mei would say "IM MAKING THE GROUND COLD" and the ult would seem less bullshit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

English only, U.S.A! English only, U.S.A!

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Slowpoke! posted:

Yeah I have a lot of hours on D.Va and I still struggle at getting more than 1 person with my Ult. It really is more of an area denial tool or get out of jail card for me, like when a Roadhog hooks me and blows my mech, I know I can explode it and either catch him in the blast or escape from everyone and instantly get back my mech. Also good for dropping it on the point in overtime to deny the other team. Not good at all for blowing up large groups of people.

I've concluded that D Va Ult only works as a meteor. You gotta launch into the sky and bring it down like a Bruce Willis movie, hope they don't notice

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
foreign languages are cool sorry if your ears are terrible and can't distinguish between very distinct sounds

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mortimer posted:

I want an option where the characters speak english. Yeah I know what a novelty it is to have AAA game characters say funny words in your native language but I don't speak chinese and don't really want to learn until they invade the US.

Instead of saying "alajsdflkj lkjalkdjfjsf" mei would say "IM MAKING THE GROUND COLD" and the ult would seem less bullshit

Ryuu ga waga teki go gently caress yourself

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mortimer posted:

What's it like being such a bigot?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mortimer posted:

I mean, nevermind the general imbecility of this, the different language ults are all enemy-side so when you hear gibberish you know it's your guys that are about to get hosed. I'd bet people learn those callouts WAY before the ones that are both in English.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are people seriously having trouble with Mei's ult? :psyduck: It's easily as loud as and distinct as Hanzo's.

Mortimer posted:

Do you honestly think languages other than English are a "novelty" or do you need to source your quotes?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I have actual for real hearing problems where I occasionally have trouble processing/identifying words, especially across digital mediums, and Mei's Ice Wall sound and Blizzard sound are both immediately and readily identifiable to me. They have, as mentioned, a reverb sound effect, as well as the loud beeping of the Blizzard-bot that goes along with it. Please just buy some goddamn decent headphones.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It'd be cool if there was an option for those characters to have all of their lines in their native language instead of just a couple

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I always counter mei's ult by singing "Jump Around" because it semi-nullifies her already lovely ult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mortimer posted:

tbh she should just say this

to be actually honest it doesn't matter if you understand what the words actually mean, cause i don't, but i recognize the voice and pattern of speech and direction it's coming from and that's all i need to know about what ult is going off where.

i mean if you can't tell the difference between ryu ga waga teki no kurau and it's high noon and dong zhu buxu zou and hammer down and heiden stebel nicht and fire in the hole and ryuujin no ken wo kurae at this point i dunno what to tell you