Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess I learned something about myself. I really enjoy figuring out how to fool people into standing close to explosives and then setting them off. The golf ball in Sapienza and now the remote mine during the interview in Marrakesh are my two favorite assassinations so far. And I only just unlocked the remote explosive so now I'm going to do the same thing in Paris.

I really like that unlocking items in one location effects how easily you can get things done in the others. Going back and getting to Mastery level 20 in Paris was great for convenience in Marrakesh, no need to go down into the tunnel for a remote explosive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mastery weapon unlocks carry over? That explains how I have that sniper rifle in Sapienza then.

My girlfriend watched me be Hitman No. 1 Best In World (rest in peace Hitman No. 1 Best In World, if only you had bumbled in another direction) and she laughed at all the British people in Italy and kept asking why nobody was speaking in Italian. She also thought 47 looked like a dork in the shirt and sunglasses. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thief posted:

But at the same time, that sort of chaos can be exploited by the player because it completely disrupts guard behavior. It won't net high scores at the end but it absolutely will give them the experience points needed to unlock upgrades that allow for more subtle or creative approaches.

I really like how this system works. It rewards you in a way for pulling off the 'perfect' hit, like the old blood money days. But you don't actually use the points for anything, unlike blood money. You don't buy upgrades with cash. Instead you unlock them by completing objectives. And those objectives can be completed as part of a very low-score run, and its fine! That's fantastic design.

Even better is like some other goon posted before, you can actually complete an objective in the middle of a run, and then just stop and reload a save from earlier, and you've already gotten credit for that objective. You're not actually required to go all the way and kill all 3 targets and escape successfully to get credit, which is great. Sometimes having to play through the whole mission just to test one particular assassination method would be tedious. You're totally free to do that if you want! Which is great! But you don't have to! Freedom!

RBA Starblade posted:

Mastery weapon unlocks carry over? That explains how I have that sniper rifle in Sapienza then.

My girlfriend watched me be Hitman No. 1 Best In World (rest in peace Hitman No. 1 Best In World, if only you had bumbled in another direction) and she laughed at all the British people in Italy and kept asking why nobody was speaking in Italian. She also thought 47 looked like a dork in the shirt and sunglasses. :v:

Budgets :smith: It is a little silly. But hey, everybody in the show Rome was British too! :cheeky:

Yeah weapon unlocks and also the equipment unlocks carry over, which is fantastic. And made me go back and clear out the rest of Paris that I hadn't done so I could unlock things, even though I was preferring Italy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 7, 2016

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jeoh posted:

I did that and it still didn't get the loving achievements.

Did you kill the general before or after you brown-nosed the pictures? I didn't get the unlock, but I killed him during my rampage and maybe the steps have to be taken in order for it to trigger.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ymgve posted:

Did you kill the general before or after you brown-nosed the pictures? I didn't get the unlock, but I killed him during my rampage and maybe the steps have to be taken in order for it to trigger.

The way I did it was to disguise as soldier, look at all the pictures, then switch to the headmaster disguise and kill the general.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Has anyone else gotten Let's Dance/Dance 'Till You Drop? I thought I had it figured out, but I didn't. I looked it up online, and drat. I have no idea how you're supposed to get that without some kind of significant hint. It's a pretty hilarious callback to The Greatest Level In Blood Money Ever, though.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone is supposed to figure that out, but it's funny as hell. The thumbnail gives zero clues, and even if you figure out the boombox, it doesn't show up until you dismiss 8 soldiers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm doing escalations for the first time and doing the first one on the boat map. Is there a special reason why the galley crew can't pick up kitchen knives? It's a crime, somehow.

e: I just whipped a pair of scissors at Helmut in the yard then hauled rear end for the chopper and somehow didn't die lol. Can't do that next time though :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 8, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ymgve posted:

I checked all the pictures, dumped a toilet on his head, then checked them again. As the headmaster.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I haven't touched new Hitman yet, where do you guys put it on a scale of Absolution(or Contracts) to Blood Money?

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

I haven't touched new Hitman yet, where do you guys put it on a scale of Absolution(or Contracts) to Blood Money?

It's hella good. Worth the purchase. Much closer to Blood Money than Absolution.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

Giving Blood Money a serious run for its money as the best game in the series.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Above Blood Money.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
drat, so there's a lot of replay value? How's the AI? I've only seen the janky routine gifs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

drat, so there's a lot of replay value?

Yeah I played the second level about twenty times.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Alan Smithee posted:

drat, so there's a lot of replay value? How's the AI? I've only seen the janky routine gifs

It's not breaking any new ground, but I guess in a game like this if they made the guards TOO smart it'd stop being fun. They definitely get more aware. The latest level has a consulate portion where the security is real tight and really unforgiving.

The replay value is insane. Getting to level 20 mastery on each level will require at least 4 playthroughs I'd say, plus there's all the other opportunities and little missions to pull off on their own.

ALSO...

RBA Starblade posted:

The plague doctor outfit should be the master disguise for Italy. :v:

I still just play Sapienza doing a clown-only run. I enjoy re-creating that Clive Barker story "Dread" by stalking people as a clown.

At the moment I still rate Blood Money higher, but only because it's so entrenched in my mind. As soon as we get the rest of the levels for HM I'll probably change the rankings.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

There is lots of replay value, much more than before, but there will be less scenarios in total. It's one thing for the other.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Each level is like that Mardi Gras one from Blood Money but better. I love the crowds in these games.

Also... it seems time to gear up for an elusive target :350:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As soon as I get home tonight from having dinner with a bunch of 90 year olds, I'm totally gonna murder the poo poo out of this target.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
So is there going to be like a 3-4 month break before the next episodes? I haven't really followed their release schedule if they announced anything in advance, but a couple sites seem to say that US/Japan/Thailand are the last 3 episodes, and they'll come towards the end of 2016? And that it will just be these 6 episodes plus the tutorial?

6 episodes seems like a pretty good length of the game when they're released one-by-one and I'm spending like 4+ hours replaying each one, but if I bought the game on a disc later on I'd probably blow through the entire game in like 6-7 hours. I guess there's something to be said for the episodic release format after all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saladman posted:

So is there going to be like a 3-4 month break before the next episodes? I haven't really followed their release schedule if they announced anything in advance, but a couple sites seem to say that US/Japan/Thailand are the last 3 episodes, and they'll come towards the end of 2016? And that it will just be these 6 episodes plus the tutorial?

6 episodes seems like a pretty good length of the game when they're released one-by-one and I'm spending like 4+ hours replaying each one, but if I bought the game on a disc later on I'd probably blow through the entire game in like 6-7 hours. I guess there's something to be said for the episodic release format after all.

I think the replay value would be there regardless, but I would play the game a different way. If I had access to all 6 episodes at once, I'd probably play through them all in a row, which as you said would take about 8 hours. But then I'd go back and start doing the challenges and opportunities, and I'd jump around between the different episodes just doing whatever challenge I felt like doing at the moment.

Its kinda what I'm doing now already, since we have 3.5 levels to work with. The other night I went back to Paris to get my mastery up from 18 to 20, then went right back to Marrakesh because I wanted to use the remote explosive I'd unlocked in my mastering Paris.

Edit: People would definitely bitch though if a full-price game was released with only 6 levels, no matter how much replay value there is. Bottom line is this is really a niche series, the episodic release is probably the only way it was going to happen and still maintain the spirit of what the series has been in the past.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 8, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saladman posted:

I don't think so. They released these episodes pretty quick together.

I tried looking around and here's the dates that I found:

Thailand - June, 2016
USA - July, 2016
Japan - August, 2016
Unspecified Location - No current date
Full Disc Bundle Release - 2017

Now, they could end up delaying. But the last few updates were done in pretty quick fashion, so I'd expect Thailand in 2 months tops. Hopefully still on track for late June?

Saladman posted:

My thoughts exactly. Episodic release actually fits Hitman like a glove, forces you to really play through each level before you move on.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

People mention unlocking the remote explosive, is this duck bomb thing I have some exclusive to the version I bought?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Junkenstein posted:

People mention unlocking the remote explosive, is this duck bomb thing I have some exclusive to the version I bought?

Level 20 unlock in Paris

quote:

Its kinda what I'm doing now already, since we have 3.5 levels to work with. The other night I went back to Paris to get my mastery up from 18 to 20, then went right back to Marrakesh because I wanted to use the remote explosive I'd unlocked in my mastering Paris.

I did the same thing last night! I ended up placing the remote explosive in the stairwell and pulling the alarm and blowing up the banker as he ran past. Whoever said it made the game feel like a terrorism simulator was right

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 8, 2016

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Junkenstein posted:

Duck bomb was a preorder bonus. Though, I'm pretty sure you need a "real" remote explosive to plant them in like cameras and stuff - the duck won't work.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
RIP elusive to-be pope. As always, I cheesed it. Got a nice view down the alley between the church and the mortuary from the apartment 4 terrace. Sniped him, then ran like hell.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

Duck bomb was a preorder bonus. Though, I'm pretty sure you need a "real" remote explosive to plant them in like cameras and stuff - the duck won't work.

Ah, that all make sense.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing making the elusive target hard is you can't get out of the way of these bodyguards. I'm one of you! Stop hogging the doorway rear end in a top hat!

e: Got him! Used the exploding golf ball and the church getup, started in the safehouse. Waited for him to get to that little building behind the church, sat behind the statue he was in front, and lobbed it out. Got away by boat.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 8, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

abagofcheetos posted:

No, the preorder duck acts just like a remote bomb.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Including making guards freak out when they see it and take it to a weapon bin.

"Oh poo poo, someone left a rubber duck here! That could be dangerous."

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd appreciate it if the smg and shotgun's aim assist didn't lead the gun five feet to the right.

e: What am I supposed to do to disable the virus? I have the biolab security (which everyone knows I'm not), and can get a technician outfit (which everyone knows I'm not), and I have the card, but can't get close. And shootouts won't work because I die in one bullet and the guns don't aim at people.

e: I think I got it.

e: No I don't I can't get to the hazmat suit.

You can also shoot the virus with your silverballer from on top of the security trailer where the laptop is. If you aim it right you can shoot through the window without anyone noticing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
With a scientist disguise there's only like 3 people who can ID you in the biolab, so you just avoid them and make your way to the hazard suit. I've never had any difficulty getting to the suit, and then its pretty simple to destroy the virus from there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

3rd Elusive, I just silenced sniper'ed him from a corner of the villa complex. It was boring, I think next time I will try to do a risky infiltration, even if the chances to succeed are much smaller.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I failed.

I got a "get frisk" prompt when I approached the cemetery gate, so I went inside the wine shop and dropped my arsenal on the floor which inexplicably caused 47 to die. :(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just made my way through the sewers knocked out or killed some of the guards and Mario and then just jumped Evil Pope Francis when he was heading down into the catacombs with a knife.

Like I'm probably never going to get SA for these, but I'd had rather just get the kills so I can get something tangible in game like the suits rather than worrying about challenge points that I don't need.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Got him. Nice and easy Elusive.

Go up the Church belltower and wait. After meeting with the Priest, he waits under the bell to pray. It wasn't SA, but it was worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rookersh posted:

Got him. Nice and easy Elusive.

Go up the Church belltower and wait. After meeting with the Priest, he waits under the bell to pray. It wasn't SA, but it was worth it.

Haha, I was wondering if that'd work. I decided against it when I reloaded after poking it because I couldn't get through the door, and decided on the other method.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It would be cool if there were two tiers of rewards for the elusive targets, so there'd be some incentive to try for SA. Maybe weapons skins or something, I dunno.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

I just made my way through the sewers knocked out or killed some of the guards and Mario and then just jumped Evil Pope Francis when he was heading down into the catacombs with a knife.

Like I'm probably never going to get SA for these, but I'd had rather just get the kills so I can get something tangible in game like the suits rather than worrying about challenge points that I don't need.

I did the same thing, but knocked them all out instead of killing. got SA for it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I figure if you can drop the before the bodyguard gets into place he'd survive, I forgot about slight delay on dropping the bell and squished him good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was going to drop the bell on him, but I got impatient waiting for he to get into position. Eventually saw him go into the basement and just stuck a remote bomb next to the door and waited for him to come back out.

Did end up killing some guards while infiltrating the church, surprised the small firefight didn't make them evacuate the target.