Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

a kitten posted:

Additionally, Square Enix revealed details on a new partnership with online retailer Amazon for North American distribution of special items previously available in Japan through 7-Eleven. From June 14 through June 27, those who make a qualifying purchase of $19.99 or more will receive a digital code to unlock in-game items such as an original Fat Chocobo mount, Maid and Butler attire, a Titan-themed Crag mask, an Ifrit-themed Inferno mask, and a set of 99 Magicked Prism wings (consumable item). More information on this promotion will be available soon.

Hopefully I can do this from outside of NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they've already said it is NA accounts only

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

and I found that fight hilariously easy because it's all mechanics that have been used in the game before, nothing new to surprise you
It is easy, I know all the steps by heart.. While I admit to being pretty bad at videogames, I'm not the problem

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

mallamp posted:

No, I give up. No Final Steps until I re-sub next patch and it's nerfed, it's just not going to be happen when your healer is called Tyrion Lalannister and dies to every second aoe. Got to see all phases couple of times in my latest DF attempt, that's enough for now

We had a healer like that last time we ran it. We managed to get through though. Out of interest, what server are you on?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

mallamp posted:

It is easy, I know all the steps by heart.. While I admit to being pretty bad at videogames, I'm not the problem

The fight is easy enough once you've seen all the mechanics, people are just hilariously bad at video games. So many people dying to the area swipe mechanic when he's in the air because they run to the very edge of the area instead of the center and can't get out in time. I've failed it with 4 different DF groups, I think I'll recruit goons for my next attempt. My last group could have cleared it (we got it down to ~9%) but one of the DPS ran around on an ank instead of staying still and ruined us.

That said, it's a fun fight and if people would just loving dodge AoE properly and stay still for Ank it could be cleared with ease.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Anyone having trouble with Niddy should absolutely be recruiting goons to help. And if you aren't on Excal to recruit goons, well, that's your problem, isn't it? :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Goddamn though if Weeping City isn't beautiful from start to finish (well at least up to Ozma :v:) and Ozma is a gorgeous fight and IMO fun as hell once people know what they're doing. The weird ethereal version of Echidna's theme during the middle phase is great, too bad there's probably no Orchestrion for it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

my only grievance with ozma is that you need the other two full parties to actually beat the fight, which causes it to be a loving nightmare

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I beat Nidhogg on my fourth try with a full pubbie group. :shrug:

It helped that there was a tank that claimed he knew what everyone should do and everyone pretty much did as asked. No idea if standing in the circles during phase shift is required but concentrating on that seemed to keep everyone in fighting condition. Between tries I noticed people more or less getting used to staying near the middle at all times instead of running all over to avoid AOE.

Heck, we even wiped only once to Akh Morn and that was because people didn't see the huge loving arrows pointing where you need to go. Granted it usually spawned right under Niddy's rear end so it was kinda hard to see.

Anyway, it was a great fight with little special mechanics. I remember having a lot more trouble with original Steps thanks to the dragonkiller/snares mechanic that is unique to the trial. People seem to generally recognise mechanics shared between encounters.

My condolences for having bad luck on DF though, it can be really aggravating at times.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

mallamp posted:

No, I give up. No Final Steps until I re-sub next patch and it's nerfed, it's just not going to be happen when your healer is called Tyrion Lalannister and dies to every second aoe. Got to see all phases couple of times in my latest DF attempt, that's enough for now

Wait a few days and then run it with goons, instead of doing this:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

jyrque posted:

I beat Nidhogg on my fourth try with a full pubbie group. :shrug:

It helped that there was a tank that claimed he knew what everyone should do and everyone pretty much did as asked. No idea if standing in the circles during phase shift is required but concentrating on that seemed to keep everyone in fighting condition. Between tries I noticed people more or less getting used to staying near the middle at all times instead of running all over to avoid AOE.

Heck, we even wiped only once to Akh Morn and that was because people didn't see the huge loving arrows pointing where you need to go. Granted it usually spawned right under Niddy's rear end so it was kinda hard to see.

Anyway, it was a great fight with little special mechanics. I remember having a lot more trouble with original Steps thanks to the dragonkiller/snares mechanic that is unique to the trial. People seem to generally recognise mechanics shared between encounters.

My condolences for having bad luck on DF though, it can be really aggravating at times.

Regarding the oft discussed "Circles" bit for Final Steps story mode, they're 100% cosmetic. The deciding factor is whether or not any of the adds are alive when Nidhogg roars and knocks you back before his super death jump. Even if the last add dies one second after he roars, you die.

It's Chrysalis 2: Dragonsong Boogaloo in terms of Duty Finder hangups.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 8, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it is DF-able but it's really luck of the draw if you get people who will actually know how to do things like dodge and focus burn on the add phase. The circles during the big attack are cosmetic, everybody should just stack so your healers can pop Collective Unconscious/Sacred Soil or at least stack Medica II and Asylum if you somehow end up with a double WHM group.

I've also seen pub tanks hit LB on that, which makes it kind of trivial.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SpaceDrake posted:

Anyone having trouble with Niddy should absolutely be recruiting goons to help. And if you aren't on Excal to recruit goons, well, that's your problem, isn't it? :colbert:

I tried recruiting goons, but everyone was too busy playing with their dollhouses.

And the goons did worse than the pubbies (myself included)

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

one of my biggest recommendations for nidhogg is to kill one of the adds being tanked first and save the untankable one last, because a tank able to leave tank stance and do DPS is very valuable with moron pubbies

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Lemon-Lime posted:

Wait a few days and then run it with goons, instead of doing this:

hahaha pubbies, only goons would get this post :)

Wasn't much of a fan of Nidhogg, maybe bard mode will be more fun but compared to sephirot it was shittier in every way (especially the song)

Also I heard you need both the Vark and City token to get your 230 eso gear upgrades, is that true?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

ArtIsResistance posted:

Also I heard you need both the Vark and City token to get your 230 eso gear upgrades, is that true?

yes, you need a farthing and a penny to get the upgrade items

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sword_man.gif posted:

Huh. That's an odd requirement. Not that I'm not sitting on a bunch of farthings, but still... weird.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I highly recommend everyone do the post-end of patch side quest, unless you are the kind of person that skips cutscenes

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

SirPhoebos posted:

I tried recruiting goons, but everyone was too busy playing with their dollhouses.

And the goons did worse than the pubbies (myself included)

I hope you all learned a valuable lesson about standing in AoEs. :colbert:

Also that one of the pubbies learned a valuable lesson about not running out of the group with Akh Morn.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I got bored awhile back trying to get to the actual heavenward content and unsubscribed. Has there been any QOL changes with regard to getting to the point of playing the dlc or do I still have to go through the old story stuff still.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Managed to do most of the MSQ stuff last night which doesn't usually happen for me. The trial was something special indeed. Not only is it a tough and fun fight but the cutscenes leading up to and following it are fantastic. I really wanted to give Alphinaud a big hug, I think he did a good job :3:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

I got bored awhile back trying to get to the actual heavenward content and unsubscribed. Has there been any QOL changes with regard to getting to the point of playing the dlc or do I still have to go through the old story stuff still.

Is deleting content a QoL change? Play the old stuff and just enjoy it. It's about the journey, not the destination, my friend.

And besides, it's not like you can't wrangle up people in the FCs to run just about any old dungeon or primal.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

sword_man.gif posted:

cool not like void ark is boring as poo poo at this point or anything!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ChaseSP posted:

If it's your first time doing it, all that "old" content should be new to you and thus worth doing at least once. The game doesn't suddenly change once you go into expansion content. It's more of the same with a story that won't make a drat bit of sense if you didn't do the initial content.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

PhilippAchtel posted:

Is deleting content a QoL change? Play the old stuff and just enjoy it. It's about the journey, not the destination, my friend.

And besides, it's not like you can't wrangle up people in the FCs to run just about any old dungeon or primal.

I was thinking more just being able to jump from quest to quest faster. The story is cool I just got tired of going to NPC, talk then talk to another NPC in a different region, do a dungeon and repeat.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ChaseSP posted:

I was thinking more just being able to jump from quest to quest faster. The story is cool I just got tired of going to NPC, talk then talk to another NPC in a different region, do a dungeon and repeat.

You do that in the expansion to, so I dunno what your hurry is.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Verranicus posted:

You do that in the expansion to, so I dunno what your hurry is.

Well when you have people talking about nee cool stuff in the expansion area while you're in vanilla content it's a bit discouraging. This was on release day and I was looking forward to all of it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ChaseSP posted:

Well when you have people talking about nee cool stuff in the expansion area while you're in vanilla content it's a bit discouraging. This was on release day and I was looking forward to all of it.

They were all talking about the content you're on being cool when it was current too, and it still is. There's a ton of awesome quests and trials pre-expansion, and yeah the expansion is great but treating everything before it like its some slog or chore does it a disservice.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Verranicus posted:

They were all talking about the content you're on being cool when it was current too, and it still is. There's a ton of awesome quests and trials pre-expansion, and yeah the expansion is great but treating everything before it like its some slog or chore does it a disservice.

Yeah I guess I just got caught up in the expansion hype and wanted to get to it ASAP without appreciating the journey to it. It was a gift as well so I felt a bit forced as well combined with roulette dailies.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Meh, Heavensward isn't that different. Story is more traditional and epic. Lot of running has been put to optional sidequests though. You have to do bit of them to unlock flying so keep your running shoes on till you are 60..

3.x will be skippable when 4.0 comes but streamlined 2.x is just rumour, at least I can't find a quote so your best bet is to just deal with it so that you don't fall way back. Remember that you start gaining xp post-50 as soon as you buy Heavensward so you can mix your 50 dungeons and roulettes in, and get nice headstart to Heavensward

mallamp fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 8, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

everything in the content from 2.0 -> 3.0 is good too and nomatter how 3.0 sounds it will be more of the same, with a lot of travel and talking and cutscenes inbetween dungeons / trails

even at max level you always have to do a at minimum 3 stage quest, sometimes 25-45 min of questing to unlock new raids and dungeon hardmodes etc

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Please, everyone, if you're in a Nidhogg party and people are telling you to stand in the circles, call them idiots. I can see this stupid idea easily spreading.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm 0/2 on Weeping City attempts. :thumbsup:

The first attempt wasn't too bad but Ozma facepunched us into oblivion.

The second attempt Alliance C was a very special brand of morons that managed to wipe to the Atomos section and then refused to res other alliance healers on our last shot at the final boss before we ran out of time. :shepicide: Having a full FC party at least meant our own group was solid but unfortunately you can't really carry stupid very well in Weeping City.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Don't tank nidhogg in the center

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I read that they buffed reputation gains from old beat tribes, did they buff exp gains to be on par with the Heavensward ones too?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My first encounter of weeping city was interesting. A bunch of dps from one alliance ragequit after we wiped once on the second boss (first wipe of the run). They claimed they were looking for more members, but nobody filled the slots. Then a fourth tank gets added to the alliance, but he's not in a party. He doesn't get an alliance icon by his name, and he doesn't appear in any party lists, but he can talk to everyone in /alliance.

After a couple more tries with poo poo dps the run leads into a failure cascade and everyone bails.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Verranicus posted:

I read that they buffed reputation gains from old beat tribes, did they buff exp gains to be on par with the Heavensward ones too?

Nope. Just halved how long it takes to get to the end.

Fister Roboto posted:

Please, everyone, if you're in a Nidhogg party and people are telling you to stand in the circles, call them idiots. I can see this stupid idea easily spreading.

I don't understand this. Similar cosmetic stuff had shown up in animations before. This is no different than a Primal fight.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Then a fourth tank gets added to the alliance, but he's not in a party. He doesn't get an alliance icon by his name, and he doesn't appear in any party lists, but he can talk to everyone in /alliance.

This is incredible. I'm sorry your Mhach run was a bigger trainwreck than most peoples' seem to be, but I love this so much.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

This was from an in-progress run where I jumped in and saved them from Ozma, guiding them through the fight and killing it in one try. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Which tank class is least hard to gently caress up? I've never tanked before and I want to give it a shot as I want to do something other than healing for once.

Sub question: which one has the best looking armor/gear? I've never really paid attention to it.

Currently, I have GLD at 16, MRD at 11 and haven't touched DRK.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 8, 2016

• Locked thread