Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

mariooncrack posted:

Over the decade, he's tried to pay several people to do the work. He had a builder I think and then got ripped off. He found another builder that then got really sick, swore up and down to finish the car, closed up shop, and then ripped him off. I think he then found a "racing engine" builder.

bolded for importance, as CobaltGuy has admitted to burning money on this project since early 2007

Ten years, three or four builders. $300K and counting (savings gone, house remortgaged). All with the intention of turning a turd into a sub-10 second drag car.

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
CobaltGuy is living the true American Dream.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
We don't know whether it's Sisyphean yet because they haven't had a set back so major that they need to go find another rotten Austin Mini.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You leave project Binky alone!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I suppose they won't need another Mini since they've replaced every inch of metal already.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

fyodor posted:

Yea I suppose they won't need another Mini since they've replaced every inch of metal already.

The Mini of Theseus.

It's funny watching the first episode, when they (hilariously under-) estimate how long the project will take.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Exactly. I've been following Binky and I'm also a fan of crazy car builds, but fuuuccckkk they are putting work into that bastard! It'll be a cool rear end car when it's done but drat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Cobalt guy just wanted to build this car to reconnect with his brother whom he's had a falling out with a long time ago and they haven't spoken since, but brother has died and now Cobalt guy is really sad but doubling down on completing it.

Seriously, it's in there somewhere. I spent about 15 minutes just reading posts on random pages of it.

His motivation does not change the fact that he is a goddamned idiot.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Whenever I watch project binky I hope that the reason it takes so long to make an episode is because they're non-stop fabbing awesome poo poo for real paying customers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

8ender posted:

Whenever I watch project binky I hope that the reason it takes so long to make an episode is because they're non-stop fabbing awesome poo poo for real paying customers.

This is the case, Binky is a side project. An amazingly cool side project but a side project.

I can only pray that when it gets finished it doesn't get stacked and killed immediately.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Scam?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5617081636.html

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5627466278.html

Three project trucks for scrap value.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Seems like a reasonable price. Image isn't showing up elsewhere on TinEye, probably legit.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

Seems like a reasonable price. Image isn't showing up elsewhere on TinEye, probably legit.

That's $10k less than what I see a fastback of that year go for in Georgia/southeast. Durn.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Coredump posted:

That's $10k less than what I see a fastback of that year go for in Georgia/southeast. Durn.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1970-ford-mustang

Maybe it's a 10 footer.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah I would love to find a "Concours" level 69-70 fastback for $24,400. Or an "Excellent" condition for $16,700. I don't know where Haggerty is getting these numbers. I mean I skimmed their page on how they get their numbers but I haven't seen any of those prices reflected in any of the places I've been looking over the last few months.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Coredump posted:

Yeah I would love to find a "Concours" level 69-70 fastback for $24,400. Or an "Excellent" condition for $16,700. I don't know where Haggerty is getting these numbers. I mean I skimmed their page on how they get their numbers but I haven't seen any of those prices reflected in any of the places I've been looking over the last few months.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ack&_sacat=6001

Hard to be sure just how good some of these are, but Ebay prices line up pretty well with theirs.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ack&_sacat=6001

Hard to be sure just how good some of these are, but Ebay prices line up pretty well with theirs.

Yeah there are some Mustang fastbacks selling in those price ranges, but not for the corresponding condition. I'm not seeing "excellent" Mustang fastbacks for ~$17000.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Coredump posted:

Hagerty is notoriously high. The more they make you think your car is worth the more they can charge you to insure it and they're expensive as hell. Downside is their site has become kind of a go-to when pricing 'special' cars so now everyone is pricing poo poo high.

edit: I'm an idiot and read that wrong

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 10, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

But in this case Hagerty's prices are low to what I've been seeing in the last few months? :confused:

Edit: Yeah if I could find a 69-70 Mustang Fastback in excellent condition in blue for less than $20k I'd be all over that.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-porsche-911-3/
still under $20K

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That looks like a completely reasonable way to die in a ball of fire going backwards off a cliff. Wonder what that will end up going for.

Still bummed I didn't bid on this monster, went for just under $24k to a good friend

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 10, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:iia:

might be worth dying in

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SneakyFrog posted:

:iia:

might be worth dying in

That car is one of the few times I've been angry about owning my Corvette. I kinda wanna swap.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Used in an Eddie Murphy movie you guys!!!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bowfinger isn't an Eddie Murphy movie. It's a Steve Martin movie that Eddie Murphy had the pleasure of guest starring in.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
There's a car on BaT right now that I was talking about with my barber because it's pretty rare and the Carfax shows its first owner registered it in my town of 37,000. 70 year old dude two chairs down getting his hair cut: "That was my neighbors, it was a piece of mother-loving poo poo, don't buy it."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

blk posted:

There's a car on BaT right now that I was talking about with my barber because it's pretty rare and the Carfax shows its first owner registered it in my town of 37,000. 70 year old dude two chairs down getting his hair cut: "That was my neighbors, it was a piece of mother-loving poo poo, don't buy it."

Well don't just leave us hanging, where's the link?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5604449768.html

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Seems optimistic.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
When only one type of wood grain just won't do.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/5632661099.html
(the side paneling, and then behind the rear license plate)

Those seats!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
GoodLifeDecisions.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

hard to believe that thing isn't on 20s.

MTK337
Jul 11, 2005
RB25DET Triumph GT6 !?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5612406946.html

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Those rear tires. The erotic sacrilege of the swap. That stance. :stare:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
The driving position looks incredibly uncomfortable with the seat angle @ 90°

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:stare: Holy Crap

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/5632182240.html

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I really dislike people who put 1 [currency] as the price, and then put the whole price in the description.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

I really dislike people who put 1 [currency] as the price, and then put the whole price in the description.

Kijijiji is the craigslist equivalent here an if you list something as "free", it ends up in the free section, There are a ton of loving morons who list it as free, and then put "it's not free, don't bother me asking for it for free, the price is $300"

So i message them asking where i can pick it up for free.

Three is a ton of free poo poo out there. If you wanted to start a piano store, at any given moment there are like 20 free stand-up pianos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

Three is a ton of free poo poo out there. If you wanted to start a piano store, at any given moment there are like 20 free stand-up pianos.

Yeah you find that everywhere... Nobody wants to move a piano or pay to have it tuned since nobody in the family really plays, and it's just been in the house since grandma died, please come take it away.