Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Did some texturing on my dog. Playing around with with the brushes i found something that resembled a scab/disease etc, so i ran with it.

Hope to render it properly once i can afford marmoset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Haha, what the hell happened to Siggraph videos? Not complaining but it's such a major shift in tone with the upbeat music and the narrator guy.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Haha yeah, it's super cheesy!

Speaking of which, I'll be at SIGGRAPH on Monday and Tuesday if there any goons that want to meet up!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ah I missed the days of going to SIGGRAPH.

SIGGRAPH New Orleans and Orlando represent!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Haha, what the hell happened to Siggraph videos? Not complaining but it's such a major shift in tone with the upbeat music and the narrator guy.

Don't worry the separate technical videos are just as clinical as usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO1TuBwup4Y

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
The newest substance painter update seems to have brought UDIM support to some degree. Waiting to see what the changelog says, but after updating today I now have some options relating to it when importing a mesh.

I know lack of UDIM support has been a sticking point for some and it's been on the books for a while, so it's nice to see some progress there.

E: UDIM, 4K monitor support, 8k texture support (!!), Linux support, and substance in Houdini (not sure the details but the blurb said it was integrated somehow). That's a sweet bunch of updates that should make people happy!

E2: omg, it can now bake maps for all materials at once! No more having to click bake for each material on a mesh.

https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/substance-painter-21-here

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 2, 2016

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Im glad theyre removing the checkers on the quick mmask. Its hard trying to use it when you cant see through the overlay.

Edit. Now wheres a function to bake down materials, my poor laptop has a really hard time with all the layers.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 2, 2016

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Eastdrom posted:

Im glad theyre removing the checkers on the quick mmask. Its hard trying to use it when you cant see through the overlay.

Edit. Now wheres a function to bake down materials, my poor laptop has a really hard time with all the layers.

While I don't think there's a "collapse layer" function, what I've done when hitting slowdown from too much crap is export textures, make a new file, and import those textures to it. It's not super ideal, but as long as I keep multiple .spp's for each "bounce" I can go back and change things, re-export/import, and eventually have a rather complex material that would've killed my machine otherwise.

E: you prob understood this, but just for some clarification for anyone else who wants to try, what you're doing is exporting a flattened texture set (so base color, roughness, metallic, normal if you're using the met/rough PBR workflow) of whatever point you're at, then making a new painter file with the mesh and dragging and dropping those exported textures to whatever (now blank) material they were on the original. You probably need to do some massaging of settings to make sure the right textures get assigned to the right layers, but once those are good you'll have a simple image texture representing the complex multi-layer material you built originally, and you can go and start doing the painter thing on top.

The reason you want to save the original (and each subsequent bounce) is for later changes. It's as easy as opening up the original, making changes, exporting it, then opening up the second file and replacing the base textures with the new ones. I haven't tried doing multiple bounces and having them set as separate layers, but I think that could work for extremely complex materials where you might want some added control in how the multiple bounces are blended.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 2, 2016

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Oh that's a good idea, i'll keep that in mind thanks!

Just realized I only have substance painter 1 anyway, and i don't know if the difference between 1 & 2 is worth the upgrade. Though there is a handy %50 discount for already owning the first on steam.

Edit: 50 percent, 75 dollars.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 3, 2016

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Now Substance is a viable option (maybe? haven't used it that much) for vfx and can compete against Mari, should be interesting times

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

Looking good. As it stands right now though I think it lacks the correct sense of scale. I think lots of smaller things like antennae, sensors and other detail on the outside will give it a good scale. Also, that camera angle ain't doing it any favors! You're making it look like a sci-fi gun instead of a ship!

Thanks for the feedback, sadly I cant add too much more geometry to it since its for a game and i was trying to stay under 12k tris.

Here's a render with more angles and some wiresframe action, still trying to figure out how to do good wireframe renders from modo.

And if you'd like to check it out from other angles or play with the lighting the sketchfab 3d view:
Cruiser 3d model view

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you recolored that ship it would look great in a homeworld:remastered mod

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Aviator rabbit for a class demo this weekend. Helmet and goggles still have a long way to go.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So when it comes to managing your meshes, specifically keeping the polys low, how do you guys do it?

Do you just start as low as possible and only add when really needed or start with whatever and clean them up later. Or a mix of both?

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Kanine posted:

If you recolored that ship it would look great in a homeworld:remastered mod

The project is setup so that I can do that easily, part of having indecisive art directors in the past has forced me to setup projects to be changed easy :)
This is just a quick example:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Crain posted:

So when it comes to managing your meshes, specifically keeping the polys low, how do you guys do it?

Do you just start as low as possible and only add when really needed or start with whatever and clean them up later. Or a mix of both?

Start low and stay low. More polygons are more trouble, and this is doubly true on organic meshes. It becomes really hard to manage poly flow and little adjustments will result in very unsightly and frustrating to get rid of bumps, only add more poly's when you need more detail, learn to squeeze as much as you can out of each poly, for peace of mind as well as performance down the road (it matters for non-gaming stuff too).

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Is there a way to pattern a feature in blender? Searching for that just get's me pattern select and tutorials for how to generate a field of things or how to make stuff like honeycombs or animated patterns for ocean scenes and stuff.

I'm making a tape deck/tape player as practice and I want to make a line of 5 buttons on the top here:

Getting the one is fine, but now I'm not having any luck making the rest of the buttons A) Be the same size, or B) be spaced equally.

In inventor I'd just select the one button, tell it a direction or two to go in, and then how many more to make and the program would generate new forms based on that info. Is there anything like that? Or failing that is there a consistent way to ensure my next cuts are a specific length? The buttons are the same width as that top face, so that's not an issue, but can I force it to be 8mm long? Or figure out how long the cut is and scale it down the necessary amount after?

I already have units set to metric and the rest of the part is pretty much defined as well I can (where needed, the inset face for the "window" isn't really a specific size I just made it look nice).

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Make the button a separate object for the moment and use the array modifier on it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Keket posted:

Make the button a separate object for the moment and use the array modifier on it.

Oh right,

Side question on that though: I'm planning on making this a 3d print so is there an easy way to merge the meshes after doing that?

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Alternatively there's a repeat action command so you could make the button and then repeat the duplicate-move action. Faster but less control.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Crain posted:

Side question on that though: I'm planning on making this a 3d print so is there an easy way to merge the meshes after doing that?

Boolean modifier to do it automatically with varying results or you can manually connect them after joining both objects (after applying the Array modifier) with ctrl+J.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Manually joining works fine for most situations, you might need to add some edges on the body where the buttons are going to join and manually merge (alt+m) the vertices of the buttons and body after joining to avoid overlapping geometry - then again that might not matter in 3D printing? I know nothing about that.

Blender's Boolean tools seem rather janky, I almost always have better results doing it manually even if it takes more time.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So turns out I don't need to worry about merging the meshes for saving as an STL. The individual parts just get saved as part of the same outer mesh when I convert to stl, and the slicer treats it as one whole object.

No extra steps needed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So far so good. Last thing I want to add is a belt clip on the back.

Might make that a separate part for printing.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Help :/

Dildo aesthetic aside, what does my missile look ok in 3dsmax but awful in real time?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Either collapse it to an editable Mesh, or apply an Edit Mesh modifier before you export it to .fbx.

Or also maybe try Resetting Xform on top of that too.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

KiddieGrinder posted:

Either collapse it to an editable Mesh, or apply an Edit Mesh modifier before you export it to .fbx.

Or also maybe try Resetting Xform on top of that too.

Wow thanks, I was messing around with smoothing groups etc for ages. Learned something new and important :)

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

cYn posted:

Wow thanks, I was messing around with smoothing groups etc for ages. Learned something new and important :)

Believe me, this same problem pissed me off for ages till I read about this trick. No idea why it works, but it does. :shrug:

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Just working on a pitch for an arms dealer. I'm going to hell.

https://skfb.ly/OY6t

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Another view without goggles.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

sigma 6 posted:

Another view without goggles.

Those massive spherical eyes are super uncanny/creepy, dunno if you were going for that. I guess that's why Zelda models have flatter, diamond shaped eye meshes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think it's the "blind eye" effect due to the lack of iris detail and pupil that makes it creepy more than the size necessarily. Giant eyes can certainly be creepy.

Disney's current style does the cg giant eyes in a really appealing way, but very specific to kids and family audiences.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I made a lantern! The reference I modeled it off of was significantly dirtier, and it was sort of weird having to tone back the grunge for once.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody else get the email that CMI VFX founder Chris Maynard died suddenly at his home? Strange. I've been using the site (which feels straight out of 1999) a lot... crappy design but lots of content on there.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BonoMan posted:

Anybody else get the email that CMI VFX founder Chris Maynard died suddenly at his home? Strange. I've been using the site (which feels straight out of 1999) a lot... crappy design but lots of content on there.

Yeah, that's pretty sad, he was only 41.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone know the best place to hire someone to do some photogrammetry captures? I know this probably falls within pretty much any vfx job really so uh....vfxjobs.com? Artstation, Cgsociety?

I'm in the US and would be asking for assets from say Mexico

I can't imagine someone on Fiver or taskrabbit doing it...

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I could help you with the scope but don't have the time to do it myself. Are the assets that need to be scanned in Mexico?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

made a katana based on an unused elysium concept

mview here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DNe9O

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Kanine posted:

made a katana based on an unused elysium concept

mview here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DNe9O

That's really cool, I could see it in a Snow Crash game if it was ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
I remember people doing a lot of photo scanning here. Anybody have any experience using the Kinect? I'm looking at getting one for really quick dirty scanning, instead of having to go through the whole 100 photos method.