Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The deadline is today! Tonight! gently caress it, tomorrow!

1938: The Anschluss

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope the people that left it until 11:50pm on the day of the deadline don't all leave it until the same time on the new deadline.

Some people have access issues or scheduling problems where it's not fair to just say "shoulda planned better, scrubs :smug:" but that can't account for anywhere near all of those flooding the site just before midnight on the last day, and I hope people take a hint.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

New voting registration deadline: midnight Thursday (no foreigns)

It's like Cameron has realised too late that most of those people he disenfranchised are likely to be Remain voters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I just love how desperate Cameron is to get people to vote now he can't just plain-sail his way to victory.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

gently caress you marktheando don't beat me to it. :argh:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Tesseraction posted:

oh hey a left-winger came out with a reason to leave the EU that isn't entirely dogshit http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/08/eu-reform-green-brexit

a good article ?

Tesseraction posted:

Well, it provides an impetus for the EU to improve - if one country is willing to leave, the thread of other countries to do so becomes more realistic than if we keep going "no really, we're leaving this time!" and then doing nothing.

It's not to say leaving will definitely improve the EU, but that in her eyes it provides a more realistic root to improving it.

surely the best argument is that the exit of non euro (or in this case non cooperative) states removes all external resistance to what the eurozone needs the most: full fiscal and political union.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Metrication posted:

surely the best argument is that the exit of non euro (or in this case non cooperative) states removes all external resistance to what the eurozone needs the most: full fiscal and political union.

That too!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

marktheando posted:

It's like Cameron has realised too late that most of those people he disenfranchised are likely to be Remain voters.

Maybe. I think it's more that our government, of any flavour, is loving useless with anything involving IT.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

I just love how desperate Cameron is to get people to vote now he can't just plain-sail his way to victory.

Presumably all these new, young, probably-not-Tory people are getting added to the electoral roll and thus will be able to vote in future elections not just this referendum.

Suck it, individual registration!

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

yeh but the boundary review will be based on registration before this, and almost all those young people will move and have to reregister before the next election

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Tesseraction posted:

oh hey a left-winger came out with a reason to leave the EU that isn't entirely dogshit http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/08/eu-reform-green-brexit

it's still dogshit, demonstrated in the one sentence "sustainable traditional methods of farming in eastern Europe"

and, really, anybody who comes out against "economic growthism" in the present macroeconomic climate has questionable judgment at best. Yea the GFC was an environmental miracle, but humanity is hardly better off for it

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Can I still vote if I live overseas? :ohdear:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

and, really, anybody who comes out against "economic growthism" in the present macroeconomic climate has questionable judgment at best. Yea the GFC was an environmental miracle, but humanity is hardly better off for it

Surely the current macroeconomic climate is exactly the time to consider that growth fetishism isn't great for humanity?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Tesseraction posted:

Surely the current macroeconomic climate is exactly the time to consider that growth fetishism isn't great for humanity?

well, no, imo. "Isn't poverty great?" is less appealing under high inequality, high unemployment, and low growth.

but that's not quite my point. In terms of political sense, announcing that you can't convince Europe at large to abandon material prosperity and so your alternative plan is to convince Britain at large to abandon material prosperity, well, like I said, I would question your judgment

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Eden Festival in Dumfries.

Cheers guys, just wanted to double check.

Judging from the (cool looking but not particularly famous) line up, the (relatively cheap) price and the info in the about section, I'd be pretty confident in saying that they'll be absolutely fine for this one. I mean, assuming they don't go around stabbing people or anything

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Buy to let landlords win 'David and Goliath' (sic) legal battle

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tony blair is being a oval office again and i hope he goes to prison for being a war criminal

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

well, no, imo. "Isn't poverty great?" is less appealing under high inequality, high unemployment, and low growth.

but that's not quite my point. In terms of political sense, announcing that you can't convince Europe at large to abandon material prosperity and so your alternative plan is to convince Britain at large to abandon material prosperity, well, like I said, I would question your judgment

But that's not what her point is, though, is it? Her point isn't that poverty is great but that overconsumption is a problem and can, in fact, cause poverty in one area due to overconsumption in another. I mean, if you have a sustainable plan for economic growth please put it forward.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Tesseraction posted:

I kinda want Farage to get into the House of Commons so he can impotently whine about Europe and not affect votes one way or another.

Then I remember we'd be paying him to do that.

Hopefully only until the almost inevitable expenses scandal.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

gently caress buy-to-let landlords, but I don't think allowing lenders to just unilaterally raise contractual interest rates would have been a good thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Regarde Aduck posted:

I live in a "relatively Europhile" area and there is nothing but "leave" signs and "leave" leaflets through my door. So I don't know what is going on other than the "remain" campaign doing a piss poor job. Unless they think they don't have to campaign in this area? Bad idea. Bad bad idea.

This isn't surprising at all. It's a waste of time leafletting in Leave heartlands AND in Remain heartlands, the most likely people to persuade are people who lean a bit europhile but not much.

For me I've had a couple of leave ones plus one of each with my postal vote and Cambo's Cards Against Humanity leaflet, but otherwise very little.

I consider myself fortunate in this.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

El Scotch posted:

I already have.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, why were they ever offering BTL mortgages at 1.49% anyway? That's some 2007-level madness.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Tesseraction posted:

But that's not what her point is, though, is it? Her point isn't that poverty is great but that overconsumption is a problem and can, in fact, cause poverty in one area due to overconsumption in another. I mean, if you have a sustainable plan for economic growth please put it forward.

dealing with long-term overconsumption (taking it as given) through promoting material privation is striking similarly to dealing with long-term structural deficits through austerity in the slow-growth here and now

keeping that in mind: a lot depends on how you quantify it, but 'most' environmental damage is caused through inefficient agriculture straightforwardly taking up lot of the arable space, thereby driving ecological destruction. If you want sustainability, the Campaign to Protect Rural England is its antithesis. A sustainable postindustrial civilization herds most of humanity into a smaller amount of dense metropolitan regions, fed with high-intensity highly-industrialized agriculture - not numerous tiny cantons that practice low-technology pastoralism. Density and the collapse of smaller towns and polities without any corresponding duty of larger cities to absorb the displaced is obviously traumatic, even if made in the larger national (international?) good, so any form of concession to decentralized or localized sovereignty likewise militates against sustainability through good governance

not that you'd hear that from a Green, ofc.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

Mwa ha ha ha.

There's also the leader of Dipra (Democratic Institutions for Poverty Reduction in Africa) who talks about it, as documented in dying rag The Telegraph:

Interesting that we only have a trade policy with South Africa. Kinda grody in the implications really.

Although couched in terms of being 'internationalist', thats a pretty right wing argument for leaving - so we can pursue even more neoliberal trade policies (I note it makes no mention of allowing protectionist policies in Africa).

I have also never heard of DIPRA - and google results for it and Mr Akai are sparse (and include him being cited by the BNP). I have a suspicion it may be an 'astroturf' NGO, wheeled out when a right wing journalist/organisation needs an 'African voice' to support their argument.

Anyway, I worked for a 2011/12 high level panel that made various recommendations to 'revitalise' the Commonwealth. Although its true that businesses in Commonwealth countries find it easier to do business with one another (due to prevalence of English, similar historical legislation and public institutions, etc), the appetite for negotiating bilateral trade agreements just isn't there. Nobody wants to go through the fuss of negotiating a new bilateral trade agreement with a medium sized European country on the other side of the planet - its not worth it. Same with migration policies - the Group I worked for made various recommendations on streamlining visa processes/waivers, etc, these were all kicked into the long grass, and it wasn't just the UK that was iffy about them.

The Commonwealth is not a substitute for the EU in any conceivable form. It is a very very different type of organisation - relations between the various countries are much shallower, and there is little appetite or scope for deepening them. Anyone who argues for leaving the EU to strengthen links with the Commonwealth simply doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Holy poo poo, why were they ever offering BTL mortgages at 1.49% anyway? That's some 2007-level madness.
The mortgages in question were issued in or around 2007.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

El Scotch posted:

As long as you've not been there >15 years

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

tony blair is being a oval office again and i hope he goes to prison for being a war criminal

I say this almost daily, often before I've even looked at the news.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ronya posted:

'most' environmental damage is caused through inefficient agriculture straightforwardly taking up lot of the arable space, thereby driving ecological destruction. If you want sustainability, the Campaign to Protect Rural England is its antithesis. A sustainable postindustrial civilization herds most of humanity into a smaller amount of dense metropolitan regions, fed with high-intensity highly-industrialized agriculture

Industrialized agriculture produces less food per acre than small, labour-intensive farms and thus requires more space to produce as much food, not less.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tigey posted:

The Commonwealth is not a substitute for the EU in any conceivable form. It is a very very different type of organisation - relations between the various countries are much shallower, and there is little appetite or scope for deepening them. Anyone who argues for leaving the EU to strengthen links with the Commonwealth simply doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.
Depends what parts of the Commonwealth too. The SACU and Malaysia would probably be most keen on new preferable trade and migration treaties, which are the ones that the "bring back our EmpireCommonwealth" types would probably be least keen on.

Parts of the Caribbean have shown interest in closer ties, but the main attraction for them is Britain's EU membership.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Bank of England base rate is 0.5% so as long as house prices don't collapse (hello Brexit!) then mortgages are pretty safe. It's a lot different to what happened in the US with sub prime because they were actually building a shitload of housing that wasn't worth anywhere near what they were selling them for and that's why prices collapsed 60%+ in a lot of places leaving huge negative equity. It's hard to imagine London prices collapsing anywhere near as much as that even in the event of Brexit because a lot of our housing bubble is due to a supply/demand mismatch because our economy is so geographically unbalanced.

Compare London

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_report.htm?location=london&all=1

to, e.g. Las Vegas

http://us.spindices.com/indices/real-estate/sp-case-shiller-nv-las-vegas-home-price-index

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The Bank of England base rate is 0.5% so that house prices don't collapse
Fixed. I guess inflation is below target too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oh dear me posted:

Industrialized agriculture produces less food per acre than small, labour-intensive farms and thus requires more space to produce as much food, not less.

Citation needed. I hope you're not doing something silly like including land used for biofuel production in the former category and omitting it from the latter.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Also Also: gently caress England.

Nationalist!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Citation needed. I hope you're not doing something silly like including land used for biofuel production in the former category and omitting it from the latter.

No I can see that, you could build a big vertical greenhouse if you wanted but it wouldn't be able to use a combine harvester.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Que?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Puntification posted:

Dunno if the polling this is based on still holds true but I found a regional breakdown of it from Feb, which some might find interesting:

And you wonder why Scotland wanted to leave England, it's like being stuck in The Odd Couple. :v:

TinTower posted:

No idea why Bradford is so eurosceptic, especially compared to Calderdale and Leeds. It's most likely down to the assuming it's the whiter parts of the district like Shipley but, on the other hand, Vote Leave have been caught telling white people they'll reduce non-EU immigration whilst telling Asians they'll increase it.
Wow, loving seriously? I mean that's the epitome of two-faced right there.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 8, 2016

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Renaissance Robot posted:

Citation needed.

It really should not be, because this has been known since the 1960s and frequently confirmed since, but people get misled by the concept of 'intensive' or 'efficient' agriculture, thinking it means 'more food per acre' when it only means more food - or just profit - per labourer. Here's a paper, for example, which cites lots of others you might care to check, and which ends with this quotation: "A shift from small to large farms will cause a major decline in global production, just as food supplies become tight. Fair trade might now be necessary not only as a means of redistributing income, but also to feed the world."

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 8, 2016

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

FinalGamer posted:

And you wonder why Scotland wanted to leave England, it's like being stuck in The Odd Couple. :v:

England is the jealous partner that doesn't like the friendship the other member of the couple has with the neighbours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The value of modern industrial farming is that it requires minimal labor, we have an abundance of farmland.

This place produces about 10% of all tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers in the UK, year round. It does, however, have a staff of about 500 people.

• Locked thread