Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Rolling in and destroying the government of a country and then installing your own is a conquest by any definition, even if it isn't intended to be permanent.
Okay, according to the literal definition you're right. It's a very different sort of conquest from annexing territory and adding it to your state though, which is what the Russians are doing.

Friendly Humour posted:

And furthermore Mexicans aren't a race.
You're right. The Mexican population is a continuum from native to mixed to white, and in that regard more diverse than many other Latin American countries, where the population is generally more uniformly mixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're right. The Mexican population is a continuum from native to mixed to white, and in that regard more diverse than many other Latin American countries, where the population is generally more uniformly mixed.

I was making fun of you, but if you insist on being an idiot then go ahead!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

I was making fun of you, but if you insist on being an idiot then go ahead!
There's a reason why I made an overly serious reply, and it wasn't because I took your comment seriously.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ah, I've fallen for the moron gambit. Goddamnit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

waitwhatno posted:

I admit that I don't know that much about France and NATO, but I was under the impression that the decision to leave only came about after De Gaulle's return and that it was a massive change of course for the country. Do you have some source on that subject?

First, France did not leave NATO altogether, they only withdrew from the integrated command.

Secondly, the main reason for leaving integrated command was sovereignty and independence: it coincided with the development of French nuclear deterrence, and this deterrent had to remain 100% under French control.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's hardly conquest.

It's called "forced vassalization" in Europa Universalis, and "puppet city" in Civilization. In both cases you can just annex it afterwards if you feel like it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

It's called "forced vassalization" in Europa Universalis, and "puppet city" in Civilization. In both cases you can just annex it afterwards if you feel like it.
It's clearly a case of the US using "Establish Protectorate" and then having the country tell them to gently caress off nearly immediately afterward.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
:cripes:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIYq5xMW98I

Really missed opportunity to show the doctor shoot the patient that leaves the queue in the head there, as is standardised EU practice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did she get cured by a chest Xray?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Really missed opportunity to show the doctor shoot the patient that leaves the queue in the head there, as is standardised EU practice.

Good to see that this monumental decision in UK history is not being guided by outright lies. :ironicat:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

The "inside the EU" story continues in 28 days later I think.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's hardly conquest.

By your definition France wasn't conquered by WW2 either because it was only ~temporary~.

Kicking in the door, shooting HOO-HA, killing everyone in the room, smashing what is left and then declaring MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, staying for years is very much conquest.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Good to see that this monumental decision in UK history is not being guided by outright lies. :ironicat:
It's an election, are you expecting the truth to show up for one of those?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

YF-23 posted:

That makes leaving the EU look like a good idea

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

It's an election, are you expecting the truth to show up for one of those?

I would hope that while they'd skew the facts they wouldn't just straight up make poo poo up. Stuff like this is why referendums should never be a thing. It's like a regular election, only waaaaay worse in every way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The referendum isn't legally binding to my knowledge, so if it's close I'm wondering if the government will just ignore it.

Because Leave is hardly going to be advantageous for them, especially if it doesn't even have much of a popular mandate.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Okay, according to the literal definition you're right. It's a very different sort of conquest from annexing territory and adding it to your state though, which is what the Russians are doing.

No, it's according to every commonly used definition in the context of military conquest. There's nothing in the concept of conquest that necessitates permanent annexation, and I've really got no clue why you're twisting the term in this way.

Cat Mattress posted:

First, France did not leave NATO altogether, they only withdrew from the integrated command.

Secondly, the main reason for leaving integrated command was sovereignty and independence: it coincided with the development of French nuclear deterrence, and this deterrent had to remain 100% under French control.

If we're brutally honest the main reason was the de Gaulle wanted to feel like one of the big boys.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

But applicable human rights are a council of Europe product not eu 😱

Technically EU membership amplifies the effect of the ECHR since the Lisbon treaty.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

No, it's according to every commonly used definition in the context of military conquest. There's nothing in the concept of conquest that necessitates permanent annexation, and I've really got no clue why you're twisting the term in this way.
Sorry, I was trying to admit that I was wrong, while explaining the difference I had in mind between the two types of conquest.* I was using literal in its most literal definition, as in; I was literally and definitely wrong, no question about it.

*The original distinction being between Russia taking territory from Georgia and adding to the Russian state, and the US invading and occupying Iraq and then getting kicked out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The referendum isn't legally binding to my knowledge, so if it's close I'm wondering if the government will just ignore it.

Because Leave is hardly going to be advantageous for them, especially if it doesn't even have much of a popular mandate.

You're forgetting why the vote is happening in the first place. It was a gamble by Cameron to pacify the nationalist part of the Tories and to not lose seats to UKIP in the last election. If the vote actually turns 'leave' and he decides to ignore it the next election is going to be very interesting.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Randler posted:

Technically EU membership amplifies the effect of the ECHR since the Lisbon treaty.

link

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Article 6 para 3 TEU

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Randler posted:

Article 6 para 3 TEU

hm true, but udner the same technical reasoning, do you believe this adds anything seeing as how britain is signatory to the echr alreayd

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

You're forgetting why the vote is happening in the first place. It was a gamble by Cameron to pacify the nationalist part of the Tories and to not lose seats to UKIP in the last election. If the vote actually turns 'leave' and he decides to ignore it the next election is going to be very interesting.

The next election is going to be very interesting anyway given that HM Government officially supports remain so if the vote comes up leave that's discrediting the government, and Cameron already has open rebellion on the subject among half his cabinet.

As he personally is supposed to be stepping down anyway before the next election and there's no clear successor except loving George Osborne and nobody of any particular political talent among the cabinet, the next election is already looking to be anybody's guess.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

YF-23 posted:

No wonder the NHS is at its breaking point when people just drag grandma to the ER at the slightest sign of a caugh. Have some decency and go to your GP, grandma.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

waitwhatno posted:

No wonder the NHS is at its breaking point when people just drag grandma to the ER at the slightest sign of a caugh. Have some decency and go to your GP, grandma.

I was wondering that, you're not supposed to go to the doctor with cold symptoms.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

I like how it only takes an breathing mask to magically heal the patient if the UK leaves the EU.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again confirming the suspicion that she went to A and E with a cold. A lie down on a bed seemed to greatly improve her condition.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

waitwhatno posted:

She's very old, and you don't know her medical history

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

But applicable human rights are a council of Europe product not eu 😱

The current UK home secretary supports staying in the EU but wants to withdraw from the ECHR :tipshat:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

hm true, but udner the same technical reasoning, do you believe this adds anything seeing as how britain is signatory to the echr alreayd

EU primary law beats national law. ECHR only trumps national law if the country in question says their implementation trumps other national law.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Randler posted:

EU primary law beats national law. ECHR only trumps national law if the country in question says their implementation trumps other national law.

That's not exactly true. Both are international law according to British legal tradition and thus both are only applicable (according to the UK) insofar as national law implements it. Both were (via the European Communities Act or Human Rights Act) and both can be cancelled. It's just that the European Court of Justice is a bit more cavalier in reasserting the primacy of EU law, but it's not like its status is any different from the ECHR's.

EDIT: and both will cause the liability of the UK in international law if it decides to tell the Council of Europe or the EU to sod off.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Indeed for the Netherlands they share applicability under the Constitution (monist system)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT: and both will cause the liability of the UK in international law if it decides to tell the Council of Europe or the EU to sod off.

Are you telling me that if I vote leave I might be able to get the EU to hang Tony Blair?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Are you telling me that if I vote leave I might be able to get the EU to hang Tony Blair?

Now there's a campaign ad that would sell people on leave.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deltasquid posted:

That's not exactly true. Both are international law according to British legal tradition and thus both are only applicable (according to the UK) insofar as national law implements it. Both were (via the European Communities Act or Human Rights Act) and both can be cancelled. It's just that the European Court of Justice is a bit more cavalier in reasserting the primacy of EU law, but it's not like its status is any different from the ECHR's.

Any member of the EU has treaty obligation to implement its decisions, while there is no such obligation for other organisations, is the difference. Naturally the implementation is in the purview of national governments, but lack of compliance with the intergovernmental agenda is a violation of international law.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 9, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

steinrokkan posted:

Any member of the EU has treaty obligation to implement its decisions, while there is no such obligation for other organisations, is the difference. Naturally the implementation is in the purview of national governments, but lack of compliance with the intergovernmental agenda is a violation of international law.

That's essentially what I meant, yes. Although article 46 of the European Convention on Human Rights establishes a similar binding force on the UK as the European Treaties do.

Theoretically, Parliamentary Sovereignty means the UK could repeal the Human Rights Act or the European Communities Act and that'd be fine according to British legal tradition, although obviously the international institutions would be rather displeased and the UK would have a lot of explaining to do on the international legal level. I've read legal theory claiming that these acts are so important to British law that they are "entrenched" and can't be implicitly repealed and yadda yadda, but British courts have never ruled anything like that. The consensus, from my limited experience, seems to be that EU law is only directly applicable because the UK wills it via the European Communities Act. (Which the ECJ disputes, obviously, reaffirming its primacy ad nauseam.) But, If Parliament decides to repeal either of those acts, then the situation is identical: valid in the UK legal setting, a violation of its international obligations.

The important caveat is that the EU Treaties explicitly mention the ECHR. So the theoretical wish of leaving the Council of Europe so you can ship your indesirables off to war zones or curtail the voting rights of every prisoner will still be blocked by the EU, though the inverse is not necessarily true. The UK could leave the EU but remain part of the Council of Europe, but in this hypothesis they'll still be rattling their sabers at Strasbourg's Human Rights court.

As the Dutchman above mentioned, a lot of this is in the eye of the beholder. Monistic traditions like Belgium, France, the Netherlands... are a lot more accepting of just applying international law and seeing it as a natural extension of their national law systems. Dualistic countries like the UK consider a strict line to separate the national form the international sphere, and EU law is applicable nationally only by the grace of them allowing it to. The difference is mostly academical anyway, as I mentioned before, the European Communities Act pretty much serves as a funnel for EU law to apply directly in the UK.

If you're interested I can dig up some case law on the subject from when I was writing on that Tory proposal from some time ago to scrap the Human Rights Act. From the point of view of a filthy continental, it all seemed rather patronizing. "Oh, European Law is only applicable in the UK because we're so kind as to let it be." :jerkbag:

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 9, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Holy poo poo. :laffo:

I have a LITTLE sympathy for Georgia in the brawl, insofar as Russia was playing a really annoying game of Not Touching You in Ossetia and Saakashvili eventually got tired of it and made a really dumb decision.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

That's essentially what I meant, yes. Although article 46 of the European Convention on Human Rights establishes a similar binding force on the UK as the European Treaties do.

Theoretically, Parliamentary Sovereignty means the UK could repeal the Human Rights Act or the European Communities Act and that'd be fine according to British legal tradition, although obviously the international institutions would be rather displeased and the UK would have a lot of explaining to do on the international legal level. I've read legal theory claiming that these acts are so important to British law that they are "entrenched" and can't be implicitly repealed and yadda yadda, but British courts have never ruled anything like that. The consensus, from my limited experience, seems to be that EU law is only directly applicable because the UK wills it via the European Communities Act. (Which the ECJ disputes, obviously, reaffirming its primacy ad nauseam.) But, If Parliament decides to repeal either of those acts, then the situation is identical: valid in the UK legal setting, a violation of its international obligations.

The important caveat is that the EU Treaties explicitly mention the ECHR. So the theoretical wish of leaving the Council of Europe so you can ship your indesirables off to war zones or curtail the voting rights of every prisoner will still be blocked by the EU, though the inverse is not necessarily true. The UK could leave the EU but remain part of the Council of Europe, but in this hypothesis they'll still be rattling their sabers at Strasbourg's Human Rights court.

As the Dutchman above mentioned, a lot of this is in the eye of the beholder. Monistic traditions like Belgium, France, the Netherlands... are a lot more accepting of just applying international law and seeing it as a natural extension of their national law systems. Dualistic countries like the UK consider a strict line to separate the national form the international sphere, and EU law is applicable nationally only by the grace of them allowing it to. The difference is mostly academical anyway, as I mentioned before, the European Communities Act pretty much serves as a funnel for EU law to apply directly in the UK.

If you're interested I can dig up some case law on the subject from when I was writing on that Tory proposal from some time ago to scrap the Human Rights Act. From the point of view of a filthy continental, it all seemed rather patronizing. "Oh, European Law is only applicable in the UK because we're so kind as to let it be." :jerkbag:

Add me to your buddy list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Deltasquid posted:

I was basing my post on the view of the European Union not how England considers those respective treaties to translate in domestica practise. Also, just to so we're on the same page, my comment about European Law trumping national law was in regards to the primary EU law (i.e. the treaties themselves) and not secondary EU law like directives.