Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GopherFlats posted:

Maybe it depends on the car? My sister has had her CRV back for almost a month now. The dealer gave her a loaner to drive while they had her car so maybe theyre priority is getting loaner vehicles back first?

Toyota had my mom's Avalon in and out the same day, and if Toyota's recall website is correct, it looks like they also addressed the recall on the airbag control unit while they had it.

I'd like to say that was 2 or 3 months ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
To promote the new generation of Chevy Camaros, GM spent God knows how much money on the new Transformers movie, leading to this.... divisive design for what is supposed to be an old VW Bug.

While everyone was mad about that "classic character being ruined", no one noticed that the new Bumblebee was actually just a rebadged Scion tC RS7

Airbagchat: I got mine done within a week of the first big recall notice, but I got 2 additional recall notices for my airbags 8-9 months afterwards, even though my car only has 2 airbags that have already been replaced.
I mean, my understanding was that the recall was because these paste-eaters decided that instead of having more stable propellants to inflate airbags in a more controlled manner, they were going to use the notoriously unstable ammonium nitrate instead. :downs:
For the unaware, ammonium nitrate is a very dangerous explosive that is very sensitive to temperature and humidity, and infamous for blowing up factories that produce it and ships that carry it, but is a great fertilizer and a cheap explosive when properly manufactured and stored, so we still use it anyways. This chemical that is known throughout the world for becoming more and more unstable the longer it is exposed to just about everything it could possibly be exposed to, they decided to make in extremely humid environments, by unqualified laborers, with no quality control. Their brilliant and forward thinking plan was to make pellets out of it, coat them in wax, and pray that the wax wouldn't ever melt or crack, so that they couldn't reach the hilariously low humidity required to fuse the all of the pellets together with the wax and turn a safety device into an IED. :wtc:

Once it's been replaced and you don't have goddamned ANFO pointed at your loving face anymore, there shouldn't be any issues, right?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 7, 2016

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

My understanding is the early replacements for the highest risk inflators (older cars in humid climates) were just replaced with newly manufactured versions of the same 'unsafe' unit. Those replacements will themselves need to be replaced at a later date. (from http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/takata-faq.html)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just tire necklace every last Takata excutive.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fyodor posted:

Just tire necklace every last Takata excutive.

Go all ISIS and tie their faulty airbags to their necks with a rig that forces them to look face first into them.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

PCOS Bill posted:

Gotta make sure you get that sweet atheist cred in.

Not quite enough over the top to come around to cool

That's the guy's 2nd Sky, this was what he had before

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
The Sky/Solstice is such an unlovable car. I really should like a 4 cylinder (could be turbo) RWD roadster, but it's just so... Unfortunate looking.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Octopus Magic posted:

The Sky/Solstice is such an unlovable car. I really should like a 4 cylinder (could be turbo) RWD roadster, but it's just so... Unfortunate looking.

edit: Miata with an Oreo addiction

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 7, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of my co-workers has a black Solstice and I don't completely hate it. It feels to me like they wanted a compact roadster and also wanted a shooting brake, but couldn't commit to one or the other. So they ended up with a weird thing in the middle that looks like a Miata with an Oreo addiction.

But with some more money and refinement into the design I think it could have been a pretty cool little car.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Someone in my neighborhood has a white Solstice Coupe on black TE37's. It's actually quite handsome. I can't figure out who it is though as I see it maybe once a year so it's probably a garage queen.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The Sky is pretty good-looking, but the Solstice is a bloated caricature.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
slow day at work, so just started reading about the GM Kappa platform and was looking at the Opel GT page

here's something interesting:

quote:

Only two 2010 model year, VIN-coded cars were built under regular production, which were validation completed during the plant closure. While little known, it makes the 2010 MY Opel GT the rarest GM car in regular production, ever.

code:
Production by model year
Model Year	Total Opel GT (Roadster) Production
2007	         2,365
2008	         4,851
2009	         301
2010	         2
Total	         7,519

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I always catch myself going "ooo whats that coming the other way!? oh, just a Sky.." Good looking from afar and far from good looking.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

FatCow posted:

Not sure about Japan, but Korea is harsh on corporate execs. That ferry crash that killed 170 put the captain in jail for life, a lot of the crew for 10+yrs and the CEO for 10 years.
That's really harsh. But why CEO?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ultimately the CEO makes all the decisions for how hard the business should be pushing itself, etc, that lead to the sort of pressures that cause fatal mistakes. Same as how the Challenger disaster was ultimately not due to faulty design* or poor assembly, but due to pressures by NASA leadership to increase the launch rate; there were no criminal charges in that case afaik, but the core concept is the same. When people say "the buck stops here", sometimes you gotta hold them to that.

*Yes, the O-ring failed, but it was operating outside of the conditions it was designed for. You wouldn't say it's a design flaw if you popped a tire while driving across lava or whatever.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've long taken the view that CEOs are highly paid not because they are super smart or business savvy but because the usually are the ones to fall on the sword when some major bad poo poo happens at a company.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nitrox posted:

Well I bet the next CEO will make a pretty honest effort to make sure that poo poo don't happen again.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

1500quidporsche posted:

I've long taken the view that CEOs are highly paid not because they are super smart or business savvy but because the usually are the ones to fall on the sword when some major bad poo poo happens at a company.

In the US, they just get a golden parachute and go on to ruin some other company.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wallaka posted:

In the US, they just get a golden parachute and go on to ruin some other company.

Well yeah that's the broken part of the system. The Wall Street CEOs actually should've done jail time after 2008.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

wallaka posted:

This.

After ValuJet ended up killing 110 people in Florida due to their executives being cheap bastards, their CEO proceeded to found Allegiant Air, which is basically "ValuJet 2.0", and has only avoided an accident caused by shoddy maintenance due to blind luck and skilled flight crews.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

azflyboy posted:

This.

After ValuJet ended up killing 110 people in Florida due to their executives being cheap bastards, their CEO proceeded to found Allegiant Air, which is basically "ValuJet 2.0", and has only avoided an accident caused by shoddy maintenance due to blind luck and skilled flight crews.

My old hospital network spent $15 million on rebranding these well established, local hospitals that everyone knows under one name because they were all bought by the same company and should have the same name because of it? The logic never added up to me. New signs, new signs for the ~40 affiliated physicians and clinics, banners everywhere, ad spaces, new everything for our new brand, but our CEO never bothered to check if the name was already in use, so while we were at least $80 million in the red, with +$300 million in payments from the state being multiple years late, our $15 million "investment" was pissed away and litigation was threatened immediately. We got bought out a couple months later, the rebranding effort was immediately forgotten, and the CEO who oversaw that decision stayed as the regional director under the new company, with a healthy bonus for stepping down willingly.

My hospital used to have one of the best ER High Census/Bypass systems in the country, but our CEO forced our ED director and then the interim director to quit, put in a yesman, dismantled the Bypass Protocols, cut salaries and staffing, and then never went on Bypass because we get fined for being on Bypass. Surprise, surprise, we had a 250% increase in serious safety events, in which patients are directly harmed because we had frighteningly small amounts of nurses taking on an unsafe workload for weeks on end, to the point that some nurses stopped showing up, and there would be 3 nurses for 60 ER patients, with 100 more in the waiting room. He's still the CEO, even though he also directly caused 6 other department heads to quit and made our entire staff of psych doctors walk off the job, shuttering our psych floors and further clogging the ER.

I wish I had that kind of job security

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You don't understand, let me tell you about job creators and,

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The Door Frame posted:

My old hospital network spent $15 million on rebranding these well established, local hospitals that everyone knows under one name because they were all bought by the same company and should have the same name because of it? The logic never added up to me. New signs, new signs for the ~40 affiliated physicians and clinics, banners everywhere, ad spaces, new everything for our new brand, but our CEO never bothered to check if the name was already in use, so while we were at least $80 million in the red, with +$300 million in payments from the state being multiple years late, our $15 million "investment" was pissed away and litigation was threatened immediately. We got bought out a couple months later, the rebranding effort was immediately forgotten, and the CEO who oversaw that decision stayed as the regional director under the new company, with a healthy bonus for stepping down willingly.

My hospital used to have one of the best ER High Census/Bypass systems in the country, but our CEO forced our ED director and then the interim director to quit, put in a yesman, dismantled the Bypass Protocols, cut salaries and staffing, and then never went on Bypass because we get fined for being on Bypass. Surprise, surprise, we had a 250% increase in serious safety events, in which patients are directly harmed because we had frighteningly small amounts of nurses taking on an unsafe workload for weeks on end, to the point that some nurses stopped showing up, and there would be 3 nurses for 60 ER patients, with 100 more in the waiting room. He's still the CEO, even though he also directly caused 6 other department heads to quit and made our entire staff of psych doctors walk off the job, shuttering our psych floors and further clogging the ER.

Yeah but how's the share price? That's all his overlords care about, and the only metric they use to gauge his performance. It's apparently not a U.S.-only thing because that chucklefuck from VW could net up to $67M on his severance package.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Octopus Magic posted:

also, good luck fitting in it if you're over like 5'9" or so. I'm 6'2", and my eyes are above the windshield with my knees in the dashboard. Worse than an NA Miata, amazingly (which I am sad about, but I would totally drive an NA Miata if I could fit in it, because cheap light roadster).

Gorson posted:

Yeah but how's the share price? That's all his overlords care about, and the only metric they use to gauge his performance. It's apparently not a U.S.-only thing because that chucklefuck from VW could net up to $67M on his severance package.

Man, I wish I could make stupid/uninformed/illegal decisions and make millions of $$ with no responsibility/liability.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Man, I wish I could make stupid/uninformed/illegal decisions and make millions of $$ with no responsibility/liability.

I think that's core curriculum for an MBA.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Well "The company budget for the safety training of the crew was $2 American, which was used to buy a paper certificate." probably didn't help.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Linedance posted:

I think that's core curriculum for an MBA.

I'm convinced that the entrance requirements for most MBA programs consist primarily of a test intended to make sure that anyone who isn't a borderline sociopath isn't accidentally admitted.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah most of the rest of the world, that's what the E stands for in CEO. You make executive decisions, and you get the perks and responsibilities of the station. And I'd probably edit it to say "not just smart and business savvy". Because my CEO is one of the smartest motherfuckers I've ever met, we chatted for about half an hour at the christmas party last year and he's on a whole different level to me.

Darchangel posted:

also, good luck fitting in it if you're over like 5'9" or so. I'm 6'2", and my eyes are above the windshield with my knees in the dashboard. Worse than an NA Miata, amazingly (which I am sad about, but I would totally drive an NA Miata if I could fit in it, because cheap light roadster).

I'm 6'1" and an NA MX-5 fits me like it was specifically designed to conform to my frame, without a single inch of wasted space. The only issue is the limited amount of room with the pedals, but as long as I'm not wearing boots I can drive one perfectly fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

1500quidporsche posted:

Yes, but there's a huge difference between "highly paid, in accordance with the level of responsibility" and "ridiculously overpaid and over-compensated, even after loving the entire company+its workforce over in multiple ways".

Or even just your basic "ridiculously overpaid compared to the level of responsibility and in relation to the general pay level of the company". Is a CEO really worth more than 300 times as much as his average ground floor employee?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

It worked for Rick Scott.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

azflyboy posted:

I'm convinced that the entrance requirements for most MBA programs consist primarily of a test intended to make sure that anyone who isn't a borderline sociopath isn't accidentally admitted.

No no, they're changing that. My MBA program required taking a semester long class in Ethics. Non-sociopaths won't feel as ostracized now!

The law program, however, did not require a class in Ethics.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
http://twitter.com/dawuss/status/740510550543699968

e: wait no I fixed it

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 8, 2016

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I mean yeah, that sucks, but it's not like ECU updates are a new thing.

I had my circa 2004 ECU updated to whatever the newest/final version was (~2008) a little while back and it actually ironed out a couple intermittent warm idle/stalling issues I was experiencing.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yea but modern ones are done through wifi or whatever network without you even knowing about it on the fly as you drive.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Preoptopus posted:

Yea but modern ones are done through wifi or whatever network without you even knowing about it on the fly as you drive.

Something about this statement seems inexact.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

I was just reading that a Lexus firmware updated bricked a bunch of infotainment/satnav systems. I guess updates are nice but no update for my UVO system has ever added the ability to play goddam mp3's in a folder by order of filename instead of the ID3 "Track Name" field so screw updates.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

fyodor posted:

Something about this statement seems inexact.

A specific example would be GM and OnStar. OnStar monitors your engine performance and has a fixed link with GM. If you rock non Dexos oil for example, it will will know and send that information to GM witch will void your warranty all without your knowing. Likewise, cars today are tested on the road by the owners more than at the factory. This gives the company a more real world grasp on what problems arise in the real world and more and more they are relying on that uplink to let them know whats going on with there engines. You therefore might have a small issue that's unnoticeable to you but is seen as a yellow flag over at HQ. If its something that can be fixed by software, (and more and more these days is) they will fix it with an update and you will never know you even had a problem.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Preoptopus posted:

. If you rock non Dexos oil for example, it will will know and send that information to GM witch will void your warranty all without your knowing.

And that works how, exactly?

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I often see this poor Mitsu in my work parking lot. A couple months ago the really horribly installed lightbar showed up. It's just screwed into the bumper, so it jiggles and shakes with road bumps. We recently got some very heavy storms and I see the headlight has taken on a more fishtank-like appearance. I wonder if the fishtank was killing bulbs, so they added the bar? It's terrible all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea but we were talking about ECU updates and you said "modern ones are done through wifi or whatever network without you even knowing about it on the fly as you drive."

:tinfoil: