Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Alright, it's been about a year and a half since lucasarts got in, when's Full Throttle coming back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If I heard correctly, Double Fine's remaking it so chances are the original version won't be showing up any time soon.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Fargin Icehole posted:

Alright, it's been about a year and a half since lucasarts got in, when's Full Throttle coming back?
Will this work?

http://www.doublefine.com/news/comments/announcing_full_throttle_remastered/

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
And Double Fine said 2017 in their announcement a few months ago. So, sometime in 2017.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Oh, alright cool, thanks.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
On the GOG/Steam synch page, it says that your Steam Privacy Settings & Profile Status need to be set to public. Does it need to be set like that just for initial sign-in, or does it need to remain that way?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Max Wilco posted:

On the GOG/Steam synch page, it says that your Steam Privacy Settings & Profile Status need to be set to public. Does it need to be set like that just for initial sign-in, or does it need to remain that way?

My guess: you can set it back to private afterward, as GOG is not likely to be in the habit of repeatedly checking your Steam account to see if you still have those games (why wouldn't you) and would not want to expend the resources in doing so. Their goal is to attract people to their service, not police the state of their Steam accounts. So you can probably switch your profile back to private and keep your GOG takings intact.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

My guess: you can set it back to private afterward, as GOG is not likely to be in the habit of repeatedly checking your Steam account to see if you still have those games (why wouldn't you) and would not want to expend the resources in doing so. Their goal is to attract people to their service, not police the state of their Steam accounts. So you can probably switch your profile back to private and keep your GOG takings intact.

I guess I can give it a try and see if it works. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, I've been reluctant to link the accounts. It doesn't help that there's only three games that would carry over at the moment (Braid, VVVVVV, and Shadowrun Returns).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well, now that I think of it, I suppose GOG could take the opportunity to scrape the purchasing and play habits of people who respond to their service and make some use of that data. If that bugs you, it might not be worth your while to get copies of games you already have. I think that that information is generally available to scrapers anyhow (if your profile is public), the only information you'd be giving up beyond that is a link to your existing GOG account.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Well, now that I think of it, I suppose GOG could take the opportunity to scrape the purchasing and play habits of people who respond to their service and make some use of that data. If that bugs you, it might not be worth your while to get copies of games you already have. I think that that information is generally available to scrapers anyhow (if your profile is public), the only information you'd be giving up beyond that is a link to your existing GOG account.

I guess I'll wait until something pops up that I'd want a GOG copy of (doesn't help that I've already double-dipped on a few games as it is)

Moving to another subject, D: The Game has been added to the store. It looks like it got a little overshadowed with the GOG Connect stuff and other miscellaneous releases.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Independence War is really good too, but coming from XW and WC "spaceplane" simulators the switch to newtonian physics can be the cause of much swearing.

More importantly, several things in Independence War (like your weapons, for instance) are tied in to the screen refresh rate, and even the Gog version isn't able to fix this. You need to force it to 30 Hz, otherwise your 'laser' gun will almost never score a hit, making combat all but impossible since enemy shields refresh too quickly. Also, joystick compatibility is a bit iffy. Most work for basic control, but a few things could be wonky.

It's not on Gog but I was always a big fan of Tachyon:The Fringe; it came at the end of the 90's and has everything good about WC in it, with a good story and great voice acting. Some portions are pretty tough, but almost all the tough bits are optional.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kangra posted:

It's not on Gog but I was always a big fan of Tachyon:The Fringe; it came at the end of the 90's and has everything good about WC in it, with a good story and great voice acting. Some portions are pretty tough, but almost all the tough bits are optional.

I also adore this game. I ended up getting a physical copy that had been "pennied out" at an EB games or some such, years ago. I don't have the physical copy anymore, but it's on Steam and it's very good. It genuinely plays well with two paths through the game that feel genuinely different. Plus, Bruce Campbell voices the protagonist, and I can state confidently that he is on form in that game. One of gaming's "best kept secrets", in my opinion.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kangra posted:

More importantly, several things in Independence War (like your weapons, for instance) are tied in to the screen refresh rate, and even the Gog version isn't able to fix this. You need to force it to 30 Hz, otherwise your 'laser' gun will almost never score a hit, making combat all but impossible since enemy shields refresh too quickly. Also, joystick compatibility is a bit iffy. Most work for basic control, but a few things could be wonky.

Tachyon is on Steam.

I just couldn't get into IW - it's so much of a step backwards in everything from gameplay to graphics from IW2 that I couldn't help but sit there and think 'I could just be playing IW2'.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
GOG just released some random remastered RTS.
https://www.gog.com/game/homeworld_remastered_collection

Little pricey, but looks ok?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Looks like Kona (still in early access) and Doorkickers have been added to GOG Connect.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Defender's Quest as well.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

OAquinas posted:

GOG just released some random remastered RTS.
https://www.gog.com/game/homeworld_remastered_collection

Little pricey, but looks ok?

Random? Homeworld? Seriously?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"Homeworld" sounds hella generic, probably one of those eastern European RTSs or something. Pass!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

"Homeworld" sounds hella generic, probably one of those eastern European RTSs or something. Pass!

Yeah, I mean, spaceships? That's so passé.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They couldn't even spell the title right. Homeworld isn't a word, gosh.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Try not to spend everything:

http://www.gog.com

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

The gog summer sale has started. They have some bullshit xp system for free games now and still have their bundle deals I hate. But you can have a copy of system shock 2.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
H.H.Here's System Shock 2 - GONE.

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 8, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Witness: 15% off. Yeah, I'll get right on buying it at that price :allears:.

I know it's good and all, but that is some Nintendo-level resistance to sales pricing.

edit: Technobabylon is 75% off at $5. Go buy it right the goddamn-hell now if you like adventure games, cyberpunk or otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 8, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Witness: 15% off. Yeah, I'll get right on buying it at that price :allears:.

I know it's good and all, but that is some Nintendo-level resistance to sales pricing.

It's been out for four whole months, it's a bit dumb to expect a big sale on it. :cmon:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Eulisker posted:

The gog summer sale has started. They have some bullshit xp system for free games now and still have their bundle deals I hate. But you can have a copy of system shock 2.

Maybe I'll finally by Die by the Sword and (Re) buy Shogo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's been out for four whole months, it's a bit dumb to expect a big sale on it. :cmon:

usually only good games keep their pricing high

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Suddenly I'm only 5000 points away from the third free game.
Are the rewards giftable?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

gently caress, I don't have time to play games any more but there are 7 games, all adventure games for some reason, sitting in my checkout. Which of these are must-haves and which ones can I pass on?

The Last Door 1 & 2
Dropsy
Ether One
Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis
DoTT Remastered
Dreamfall Chapters

Or rather, which ones are good but still relatively short?

E: I also have an extra code for SS2 if anyone wants to post their mail/steamID/Gog name

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

gently caress, I don't have time to play games any more but there are 7 games, all adventure games for some reason, sitting in my checkout. Which of these are must-haves and which ones can I pass on?

The Last Door 1 & 2
Dropsy
Ether One
DoTT Remastered
Dreamfall Chapters

Dropsy is good poo poo. Chapters is good too, but you need to play Longest Journey and Dreamfall first.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

The Last Door 1 & 2
Dropsy
Ether One
DoTT Remastered
Dreamfall Chapters

E: I also have an extra code for SS2 if anyone wants to post their mail/steamID/Gog name

Fate of Atlantis is super good and is the real Indiana Jones IV

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Alright, thanks, I bought Last Door 1, Dropsy, Chapters and Indiana Jones. The rest weren't that much discounted so they can wait.

I have played TLJ and Dreamfall, so I've had my eye on Chapters for a long time. It seems the last chapter won't bring a lot of closure and everyone will be disappointed once it's out. But at least it will be something finished.

I have The Fate of Atlantis lying somewhere at my parents' house. But it's probably a bitch to run today and I never got very far into it as a kid.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I have The Fate of Atlantis lying somewhere at my parents' house. But it's probably a bitch to run today and I never got very far into it as a kid.
I think you should be able to run Fate of Atlantis fine if you use ScummVM.

Is there anything in the D&D Classics bundle that's recommended? I know the Gold Box games are pretty well regarded, but they look pretty primitive and it seems like they'd be hard to get into. I know that there are utilities like the Gold Box Companion, but I don't know how much it improves things. Some of the newer games like Menzoberranzan and the Dark Sun stuff looks a little more accessible.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Is there anything in the D&D Classics bundle that's recommended? I know the Gold Box games are pretty well regarded, but they look pretty primitive and it seems like they'd be hard to get into. I know that there are utilities like the Gold Box Companion, but I don't know how much it improves things. Some of the newer games like Menzoberranzan and the Dark Sun stuff looks a little more accessible.
The first Dark Sun is really good, more like a proto-Fallout than anything else, and you should be well-equipped to get into the Gold Box games after playing it

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Max Wilco posted:

I'm personally partial to Menzo and the two Ravenloft games made in the same engine. They have intuitive interfaces and are largely mouse-driven. I couldn't argue with anyone who finds the Gold Box games primitive, but I would still encourage anyone to try them. I agree with Larry that the Dark Sun games are more approachable, though. Not a bad idea to get started. Also, if you've never played the Eye of the Beholder games, you should. I love them all, even three which everyone piddles on.

I think that I am going to plump for Day of the Tentacle. I never played it before but it's a classic for a reason, and it comes with Maniac Mansion, which I have played and think is great. The best part about MM for me is that I barely remember anything about it from my last playthrough, so the next time will be practically like playing through it for the first time again.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh god, someone save me from my impulse-buying. Tell me these are all crap please! My wallet requests mercy...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

double nine posted:

Oh god, someone save me from my impulse-buying. Tell me these are all crap please! My wallet requests mercy...

Just buy Witcher 3, KRZ, and 80 Days.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

double nine posted:

KRZ > dead state
80 days is a text adventure and isn't fantastic
superhot lasts like 3 hours tops

the rest are cool and fun enjoy your purchases

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

double nine posted:

The Witcher 3 is really good. I've heard only good things about KRZ. The consensus seems to be Age of Decadence is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
80 Days can be had for $4.50 along with some other narrative games on the Humble Bundle right now. https://www.humblebundle.com/narrative-games-bundle