Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

pakman posted:

I was watching Star's stream yesterday and he got headshot by a widow while he was completely behind a wall in the killcam. He was next to the corner but still behind it. The widow couldn't actually see any part of his character model.

hitboxes do have generous vertical extensions even for hitscan weapons but this is probably the killcam desynching for shooter/shootee/replay lag since it's less likely that your head hitbox's vertical extension goes around a corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Nvm

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This is how I know y'all got tinnitus.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Spotted on the way home from lunch today :v:

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah the random hero mode is completely ruined by ults. The team that gets Mercy pretty much always wins because they have a healer and she can revive them with their ult charges. So while most of the enemy can't get a single ult up you can comfortably keep your entire team alive because her ult charges so fast.

"It's terrible that the random hero mode sometimes picks Mercy as a random hero."

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Zoness posted:

hitboxes do have generous vertical extensions even for hitscan weapons but this is probably the killcam desynching for shooter/shootee/replay lag since it's less likely that your head hitbox's vertical extension goes around a corner

There have been several videos posted in the thread showing that hit boxes do extended around the corner, from both shooter and shootee perspective.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Men's ult callout is loud, echoey and you can hear the robot making excited noises, and can be heard across the map! I don't understand how anyone can say they can't hear it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Macaluso posted:

Men's ult callout is loud, echoey and you can hear the robot making excited noises, and can be heard across the map! I don't understand how anyone can say they can't hear it.

They have racist ears.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

this discussion is like that black/blue gold/white dress thing but somehow more boring

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Alman posted:

Spotted on the way home from lunch today :v:

i have a GENJI sushi bar & grill on my way home from work :3:

Macaluso posted:

i'm legit starting to wonder if there's a bug with people's audio settings. i don't want to believe that people are that oblivious.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's easy to hear Mei's callout

actually spotting where she threw the thingy before you're hosed is hard as hell

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Macaluso posted:

that describes most of them. I hear hanzos instantly where ever I am and immediately start looking for places to sidestep to. Same for mcree and 76, and you hear junkrats from a mile away. Widowmakers is very quiet, and mei's i cannot recall ever noticing.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Prav posted:

actually spotting where she threw the thingy before you're hosed is hard as hell

Can you deflect the thingy

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Prav posted:

you can escape it even after the circle forms though

Fried Watermelon posted:

Can you deflect the thingy

yes and if you do it belongs to your team

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the only issue i have with ults is sometimes is till confuse genji/hanzos enemy ult callout but thats because they both begin with "ryu" and i tend to just identify whats going on by voice/first syllable.

every other ult is p clear to understand imo?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

klockwerk posted:

"It's terrible that the random hero mode sometimes picks Mercy as a random hero."

The problem is that you lose your ult charge when you die and respawn as another hero, but keep it if a Mercy resses you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

klockwerk posted:

I mean given it completely throws the balance of the mode out the window, yes. A team that gets to keep their ults on death will just snowball the other team most of the time.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
im concerned about the balance of a mode where your team comp is randomly chosen

(but sure, make ult meters persist in general in that mode or something)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean given it completely throws the balance of the mode out the window, yes. A team that gets to keep their ults on death will just snowball the other team most of the time.

Someone's gonna be like "oh no the gimmick mode isn't balanced" while missing the point.

AHAHAHAHAH YESSSSS

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

^^ Nothing to miss here.

It's almost as if Brawl is purposely intended to be a completely unbalanced game mode to just have fun in and not worry about balance.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
theres something wrong with your ability to learn and perceive if you've played this game for several hours and can't associate the sounds yet

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Because as we all know gimmick modes are never tuned for balance so that they're playable and fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imbalance is fun.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i also get really mad when the random gimmick mode doesn't go according to my meticulous plans

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
ah yes that explains the mode that heavily favors powerful high cooldown abilities

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

theres something wrong with your ability to learn and perceive if you've played this game for several hours and can't associate the sounds yet

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE MEANS NOTHING etc. etc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
random heroes is cool BUT- BUT!!!! - it should make it so you keep ult charge on death

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it's also weird to be concerned about the balance of a gimmick mode when the default mode isn't balanced

barring near-mirror comps ofc

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Zoness posted:

No, you can't, unless you're maybe one pixel inside it. I tried sprinting out as 76 from roughly in the middle between the edge and center, and couldn't make it.

With no movement abilities it's completely hopeless.

Additionally I'm one of those people who can't hear Mei's ult most of the time. I think it's because Chinese is so different from all the other languages in this game (which are all Germanic, I think?), so my brain just fails to parse it when combined with the other loud noises going on. That's my linguist opinion.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I've never had any problems hearing her callout so I think you're just deaf.

why shouldn't deaf people be allowed to play at a high level? there should be visual indicators pointing to an ultimate in case you aren't directly facing it. Maybe also put in an optional "footsteps" indicator, that's a huge one that you need to hear if you want to play a flanker. Deaf people can only play tanks and plain offense characters and without basic indicators not very well.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zoness posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UU8jqxAiHQ&t=126s

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
but no really the target audience of a random mode is in fact people who like randoming into something really powerful, not people who like to mix it up (you are just incidentally in the group of people who choose to play the random mode). thats why balancing the random mode would be silly.

but given that I think they could do whatever they want with the mode I think it would even be ok to just have everyone spawn with ults

That video doesn't demo using a hitscan weapon around a corner (although I've been told there are other videos that do)

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Zarya's shields nullify the slow from Mei's ult (And her primary, for that matter), so it's really useful for getting you and a lucky teammate outta there.

Genji is probably my least played Hero. How does he perform best? I find flanking with him difficult because unlike Reaper or Tracer you don't have an easy means to erase someone quickly. Do you harass at range until someone is weak and go for the dash reset?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zoness posted:

it's also weird to be concerned about the balance of a gimmick mode when the default mode isn't balanced

barring near-mirror comps ofc

Pffft.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Here's the solution to people that can't hear the ULT being called out: turn down the volume to music and sfx and keep dialog at 100.
Also, I believe the closer you are in proximity determines how loud it is to your character.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Zoness posted:

a few characters can use an out, and if you're right on the edge you can slowly crawljump out. which is still pretty hosed since you're being shot at.

i'm not complaining i'm just saying that if you get caught by her ult you're in serious trouble

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zoness posted:

That video doesn't demo using a hitscan weapon around a corner (although I've been told there are other videos that do)
No, but it does demo hitscan weapons hitting farther horizontally than the head's model, and so...

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 8, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Crusher posted:

Zarya's shields nullify the slow from Mei's ult (And her primary, for that matter), so it's really useful for getting you and a lucky teammate outta there.

Genji is probably my least played Hero. How does he perform best? I find flanking with him difficult because unlike Reaper or Tracer you don't have an easy means to erase someone quickly. Do you harass at range until someone is weak and go for the dash reset?

Playing Zarya feels like playing god sometimes.

"Hmmm...YOU will be the lucky teammate who survives this ult. Count yourself lucky."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Crusher posted:

The best Genji I've ever seen dominated myself and my team all on his own, by treating the Nepal Sanctum map like it was M.C. Escher's Relativity, and starring everyone to death between triple or better kills with his perfectly timed and positioned ults.

Bill NYSE posted:

Also, I believe the closer you are in proximity determines how loud it is to your character.

I can hear MccCree, Hanzo, Genji, and Torb when leaving spawn across the map, I can't hear Mei when I'm standing right next to her.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

IronicDongz posted:

No, but it does demo hitscan weapons hitting farther horizontally than the head's model, and you can deduce that it's possible from that.

Yeah you're really gonna shoot the crap outta people from around corners with that GENEROUS HITBOX buddy boy.