Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Considering NikkolasKing regularly plays and enjoys hard-mode game hacks, I can see why he enjoys FF3DS. Not as a knock against him or anything (I'm all for people liking the games they like even if I don't), but in a way it's pretty similar to those types of hacks, though I'd guess the hackers spend more time actually trying to get the game properly balanced first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

there's way more wrong with ff3ds than the original and that says a lot considering they had almost 20 years of experience with the formula between the two.

the biggest kick in the dick is the end boss being able to wipe your party before you can do much of anything and well.. hope you liked the last dungeon cause you're doing it all over again.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have no idea how things like that actually get made but it's kind of surprising no one has made difficulty mods for X/X-2/XIII/XIII-2/LR etc now that they're on PC

E: I guess X/X-2 have only been on PC for like a month but I was thinking more about mods for XIII

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

You can write down all the paragraphs you want,

What the gently caress? ZMBS wrote an excellent, thought-out post perfectly articulating the woeful decisions behind FF3DS, and you reduce his point like that because "well I enjoyed it, so there"? You regularly play difficulty mods of FF games, no poo poo you got past the changes. That doesn't immediately invalidate them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I have no idea how things like that actually get made but it's kind of surprising no one has made difficulty mods for X/X-2/XIII/XIII-2/LR etc now that they're on PC

E: I guess X/X-2 have only been on PC for like a month but I was thinking more about mods for XIII

Screw difficulty mods, I want a mod that replaces Lightning with Cloud dressed like a woman.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What the gently caress? ZMBS wrote an excellent, thought-out post perfectly articulating the woeful decisions behind FF3DS, and you reduce his point like that because "well I enjoyed it, so there"? You regularly play difficulty mods of FF games, no poo poo you got past the changes. That doesn't immediately invalidate them.

To be fair, I think it's reasonable to read a giant long effort post from someone like Sunning or ImpAtom but not feel inclined to read ones from people with suspect opinions even when I agree with them. There's been a lot of callouts on the last page and I'm not going to name names but some part of my brain has been completely wasted on keeps tabs on who in this thread likes and has defended FF8 and/or FF13 and it colors how I read all this poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX kind of has its own hard mode built in with NSG runs.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

bloodychill posted:

To be fair, I think it's reasonable to read a giant long effort post from someone like Sunning or ImpAtom but not feel inclined to read ones from people with suspect opinions even when I agree with them. There's been a lot of callouts on the last page and I'm not going to name names but some part of my brain has been completely wasted on keeps tabs on who in this thread likes and has defended FF8 and/or FF13 and it colors how I read all this poo poo.

I'm gonna go ahead and say FF8 was my first and I love it for all its faults. I will defend the junction system.

E: Rinoa can eat a dick though. Hated the time spent on the romance and it still made little since.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mega64 posted:

Screw difficulty mods, I want a mod that replaces Lightning with Cloud dressed like a woman.

Isn't that what Lightning already is though? :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

bloodychill posted:

WOW lotta hate right here. Calling me a Squall Sympathizer. (But no seriously the only things I'll defend from 8 is that the junction system was a neat idea and that FF13's combat was a neat concept and LR actually made it fun and cool by adding in sick character action just-defends and parries).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Considering NikkolasKing regularly plays and enjoys hard-mode game hacks, I can see why he enjoys FF3DS. Not as a knock against him or anything (I'm all for people liking the games they like even if I don't), but in a way it's pretty similar to those types of hacks, though I'd guess the hackers spend more time actually trying to get the game properly balanced first.

Well I do enjoy hard mods for two reasons.
1. It makes me utilize every aspect of the game. There is nothing more confusing to me than a challenge run where you actively ignore The powers and abilities and equipment you are given. I'd rather play a hack that makes me have to employ everything at my disposal to win.
2. The good mods change things besides stats and the like. The Final Fantasy IX hacks I've played introduced several new abilities for every character, for instance. So I think that's pretty cool as it gives you a refreshing take on things you thought you already knew.

Right now, I'm replaying FFVII New Threat Mod, which has changed substantially in the two years since I last played it. I recommend it to anyone here because it's far more than just a hard-mod. Sega Chief has altered cutscenes, introduced tons of new bosses and sidequests to get weapons, and there's even several new mechanics to make each character special. In addition to altering their stats to give them de facto classes - like, Barret is totally a tank with absolute poo poo Mag and Dex - each character has "Innates." These are special abilities unique to them. Barret's Innate is, depending on whether he is in the Front or Back Row, he gets bonuses o Attack or Defend .Yuffie's Innate is, depending on whether she's attacked physically or magically, she gets bonuses to that evasion stat. Tifa's Innate is she can survive being KO'ed once and is insta-revived with 1 HP. Not even revived really because she keeps her Limit and everything. Also you gain "SP" which you can exchange for select sets of Sources. So say, Barret is the tank. You thus can give him the set of 10 Power Sources, 10 Vitality Sources. Or you can try to compensate for his weaknesses by giving him the set with 10 Speed Sources and 10 Luck Sources.

It's way different from when I last played the game and he's still constantly working on improving things.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I didn't say they were wrong, I said they were his complaints but I don't share them. I didn't argue his points because I can't. I played the game once and that hardly makes me an expert. I'm also not a very analytical gamer, I just roll with things. Every point he makes can be 100% valid but that doesn't really effect me, does it? I mean, gently caress, I regularly whine about how awful FFVIII is and how none of it makes sense and how everything in it is absurdly broken. I can tell you right now, it's made no impact on anyone. Pointing out how laughable the Junction system and abilities and level scaling are balanced doesn't seem to make any dent in the enjoyment of other gamers I regularly talk to. They still love the game, in spite of all these objective flaws. And the level scaling vs. Junction system mechanics are objectively terrible because they introduced level scaling in the one game where levels don't matter.

So perhaps I phrased it badly and was just being a rude rear end in a top hat. I apologize for that.

Help Im Alive posted:

Ahem. I'd be playing it now if I wasn't horribly poor and stuck with a lovely PC.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 8, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

WOW lotta hate right here. Calling me a Squall Sympathizer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bloodychill posted:

I don't think there's a bad poster in this thread, personally. At the very least it's a poor idea generally to judge an idea based on the person who said it over what the idea actually is.

I mean, I don't like 8 and 13 but I wouldn't argue they're terrible games or anything (even though I nitpick stuff about 13 once a month or so). I'd rather learn why people like those games and see if it'd help me rethink the way I view those games a bit (Cool Ghost's FF8 LP did a great job with this for me, even though I'm way behind on it right now).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

It was a joke poorly delivered.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say FF8 was my first and I love it for all its faults. I will defend the junction system.

E: Rinoa can eat a dick though. Hated the time spent on the romance and it still made little since.

Same here except I can't completely hate Rinoa because of her cool dog. Also FF8 had some good animations

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mega64 posted:

I don't think there's a bad poster in this thread, personally. At the very least it's a poor idea generally to judge an idea based on the person who said it over what the idea actually is.

I mean, I don't like 8 and 13 but I wouldn't argue they're terrible games or anything (even though I nitpick stuff about 13 once a month or so). I'd rather learn why people like those games and see if it'd help me rethink the way I view those games a bit (Cool Ghost's FF8 LP did a great job with this for me, even though I'm way behind on it right now).

I agree, I was (half) joking. FF8 went a long way from being a game I could only greet with complete disgust to a game with good music, a solid card game, really neat set pieces, a dog bazooka, and even a cool final dungeon. It was just saddled with a plot with too many very low lows and a combat/progression system that was simultaneously too easy to break and too easy to screw yourself with. I guess I have this thread to thank for my changing opinion on that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF8 also had cool music and a kind of interesting pseudo-modern fantasy design with the elaborate outfits for the sorceress, the Garden flying modes, Esthar in general and the time-compressed castle. And it also has chill spots like Winhill and the Shumi Village. The story is a bit goofy but I liked the aesthetic more than FF9's more traditional style.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I don't think there's a bad poster in this thread, personally

greetings

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Electric Phantasm posted:

Same here except I can't completely hate Rinoa because of her cool dog. Also FF8 had some good animations

I want to post same, but its a simultaneous same for Squall and the jumbo cactuar.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

WOW lotta hate right here. Calling me a Squall Sympathizer.

I stand with the Headmaster. :colbert:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I'm having a blast with this ROM patcher, the Final Fantasy III(US) Beyond Chaos Randomizer. Here's an idea of what to expect, from the readme(the default is randomize all, of course):

If you would like to customize your experience, here is a list of flags and what they do:
o Shuffle characters' in-battle commands.
w Generate new commands for characters, replacing old commands.
z Always have "Sprint Shoes" effect.
b Make the game more balanced by removing exploits such as Joker Doom,
Vanish/Doom, and the Evade/Mblock bug.
m Randomize enemy stats.
c Randomize palettes and names of various things.
i Randomize the stats of equippable items.
q Randomize what equipment each character can wear and character stats.
e Randomize esper spells and levelup bonuses.
t Randomize treasure, including chests, colosseum, shops, and enemy drops.
u Umaro risk. (Random character will be berserk)
l Randomize blitz inputs.
n Randomize window background colors.
f Randomize enemy formations.
s Swap character graphics around.
p Randomize the palettes of spells and weapon animations.
d Randomize final dungeon.
a Organize rages alphabetically (default)
h Organize rages by highest level first

I knew it was something special when I fired up my freshly patched ROM and the into's lightning flashes were ultra-teal. Then I died on the Whelk when I attacked it with Blaster, which is a suicide attack, apparently. It's like the FFV 4-job fiesta on bath salts.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

I don't think there's a bad poster in this thread, personally.

FF13 is my favorite final fantasy

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Electric Phantasm posted:

Angelo turned out to be the best character.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Angelo turned out to be the best character.

I think on my next play of FFVIII I'll have Rinoa and Angelo swap names.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ventana posted:

FF13 is my favorite final fantasy

You gotta do worse than that. I would say this thread has a consensus on XIII being an okay game. Some people do dislike it but I don't think you'd get anything more than a weird look for saying that, as opposed to cries of burn the heretic.

If I had to hazard a guess at the most unpopular titles in here...
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III DS
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy XIII-2

And I'm not so sure about XIII-2. People in here seem to regard it as the worst of the XIII Trilogy nowadays but I dunno if that lumps it down there with the other games mentioned.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest had a lame-rear end soundtrack.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Toshimo posted:

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest had a lame-rear end soundtrack.

Mods??!?!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

You are a good poster, LT.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

bloodychill posted:

I agree, I was (half) joking. FF8 went a long way from being a game I could only greet with complete disgust to a game with good music, a solid card game, really neat set pieces, a dog bazooka, and even a cool final dungeon. It was just saddled with a plot with too many very low lows and a combat/progression system that was simultaneously too easy to break and too easy to screw yourself with. I guess I have this thread to thank for my changing opinion on that.

I screwed myself on the Junction system and again on doing terrible on the various SEED tests during my first playthroughs of FF8 (leaving me with low stats and not much gil). Which was annoying because I liked the world and the music. Squall was kind of a bland character, though, and the story felt mediocre as a result.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thedaian posted:

I screwed myself on the Junction system and again on doing terrible on the various SEED tests during my first playthroughs of FF8 (leaving me with low stats and not much gil). Which was annoying because I liked the world and the music. Squall was kind of a bland character, though, and the story felt mediocre as a result.

I keep forgetting that the SEED test is full of tricky things that will deduct points off you that you wouldn't really expect. Lotta small things too--when I played FF8, I actually had a guide for it, which came with an issue of Gamepro if you can believe it. This must have been the loving golden age for published game mags because this was a straight up thorough insert guide to FF8, including the card sidequest. Even better, it was actually relatively spoiler free, since they just bullet point the game with a screen shot for each thing.

I actually had that guide before I ever played FF8 or any Final Fantasy besides a very brief exposure to FF6 when I was much younger. I'd read that guide over and over and squint at the screen shots to try and discern what they were supposed to be and I just dreamed of this mythic game that I'd yet to truly see for myself. I got FF8 for Christmas and I swear, pretty much nothing was more jaw dropping and awe inspiring to my young self than the opening crawl and that latin chanting song and the gunblades and sword fights and oh my god

So, I guess, I've always had a soft spot for FF8. It was my first real FF. It may even have been the first one I actually beat too. Either that or 7, which I played long afterward.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Baal posted:

You are a good poster, LT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexscAO0yFA

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do not lie

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I keep forgetting that the SEED test is full of tricky things that will deduct points off you that you wouldn't really expect. Lotta small things too--when I played FF8, I actually had a guide for it, which came with an issue of Gamepro if you can believe it. This must have been the loving golden age for published game mags because this was a straight up thorough insert guide to FF8, including the card sidequest. Even better, it was actually relatively spoiler free, since they just bullet point the game with a screen shot for each thing.

I actually had that guide before I ever played FF8 or any Final Fantasy besides a very brief exposure to FF6 when I was much younger. I'd read that guide over and over and squint at the screen shots to try and discern what they were supposed to be and I just dreamed of this mythic game that I'd yet to truly see for myself. I got FF8 for Christmas and I swear, pretty much nothing was more jaw dropping and awe inspiring to my young self than the opening crawl and that latin chanting song and the gunblades and sword fights and oh my god

So, I guess, I've always had a soft spot for FF8. It was my first real FF. It may even have been the first one I actually beat too. Either that or 7, which I played long afterward.

Haha holy poo poo I had that. There was also a complete guide in an old Expert Gamer rag with all of the seed answers.

Same about the soft spot for 8. I was eight when it came out and it's the first RPG I remember playing. That loving opening :allears:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Haha holy poo poo I had that. There was also a complete guide in an old Expert Gamer rag with all of the seed answers.

Same about the soft spot for 8. I was eight when it came out and it's the first RPG I remember playing. That loving opening :allears:

FF4 on SNES was my first and I was 7 or 8 when it came out so I have a big soft spot for it too despite its flaws. I'd bet a lot of people feel that way with their first RPG.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

bloodychill posted:

FF4 on SNES was my first and I was 7 or 8 when it came out so I have a big soft spot for it too despite its flaws. I'd bet a lot of people feel that way with their first RPG.

FF1 for the NES is technically my first, but I was a right tot when I played it, never made it past the Dark Elf until I was in my teens. FF4 for the SNES was the first one I beat, and I love it despite of all the over-the-top melodrama. Mystic Quest has a special place in my heart, too.

My fav'll always be FF9, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

You gotta do worse than that. I would say this thread has a consensus on XIII being an okay game. Some people do dislike it but I don't think you'd get anything more than a weird look for saying that, as opposed to cries of burn the heretic.

If I had to hazard a guess at the most unpopular titles in here...
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III DS
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy XIII-2

And I'm not so sure about XIII-2. People in here seem to regard it as the worst of the XIII Trilogy nowadays but I dunno if that lumps it down there with the other games mentioned.

I'll forgive TAY for giving us playable Golbez, in a solid outfit too. Cecil do you even lift?

DoC is the only one of those I haven't played, XIII-2 was... ehh, probably the worse of that lot (II was so numbing I don't remember it). Pretty Monster Dressup was not enough to scrub the pain of Academia 500 AF away.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I want an entire game in the dudbear language

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

DoC is the only one of those I haven't played

Did you enjoy VII?

http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII-Dirge-of-Cerberus/

Enjoy a... hateread? It's seriously bad, and the ending... :psyduck:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'll forgive TAY for giving us playable Golbez, in a solid outfit too. Cecil do you even lift?

DoC is the only one of those I haven't played, XIII-2 was... ehh, probably the worse of that lot (II was so numbing I don't remember it). Pretty Monster Dressup was not enough to scrub the pain of Academia 500 AF away.

I like every game on that list except DOC and The After Years, and I never played TAY. I really loved XIII-2.

The only FF I dislike is FFVIII. Even then, it has its good moments. There are precisely two video games in existence that I hate. As some will know, Star Ocean 3 is one and the other is Metal Gear Solid 4. Other than that, I can find something nice to say about any video game I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

kirbysuperstar posted:

I want an entire game in the dudbear language

Gak!