Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out

I think my difficulty is not that I feel that I am inadequate, but that I see how

it is a very long road; there is very far to go.

I do make progress, slowly (this weekend, among other things, proved that; I am making progress), but when I look at the enormity of what remains to be accomplished

it's just a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FilthIncarnate posted:

I think my difficulty is not that I feel that I am inadequate, but that I see how

I do make progress, slowly (this weekend, among other things, proved that; I am making progress), but when I look at the enormity of what remains to be accomplished

it's just a lot.

everyone is worth it, good luck

also: deadbeat dad left while everyone was loading into the minivan for ice-cream and all he left was a booklet of coupons for free frosties at wendy's but they seem to have all expired :(

FluffieDuckie

Why uncle rusty :cry:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

eonwe

its the thought that counts tho

Grognan

by Fluffdaddy
ok, primary over. time to smoke a ton of weed.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

3D Megadoodoo

Grognan posted:

ok, primary over. time to smoke a ton of weed.

Did I win?

Grognan

by Fluffdaddy

probably not

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

Grognan posted:

probably not

drat! Well I'll just win the secondary, then.

Robot Made of Meat

Drythe posted:

hello, eonwe keeps telling me to post here so hello hi byob

Hi Drythe. Welcome to BYOB. Do you have any cute hobbies or interesting pets?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

shinmai

CHK Instruction

FilthIncarnate posted:

it's just a lot.

This is a very common problem with skilled people. Unskilled people don't have a good perspective of the enormity of a field of study, and don't realise how much they have still to learn.

Slow progress is, in my experience, a good thing. If becoming experienced at something is progressing very fast, I often find later on, that I've misunderstood something or haven't actually learned things properly.

e: poo poo, did I miss ice cream time :(

Piso Mojado

Anime has taught me that the most informally trained martial artists are often the ones who come out on top.

Robot Made of Meat

FilthIncarnate posted:

it's just a lot.

What you're missing is that all of us are in the same situation. Some of us see it, some don't. Some strive to be better, some don't. But none of us are perfect. All of us need improvement. All of us crave approval.

But you are a good person with good traits. Never lose sight of that.

In the end, it's only you who decide to see the glass as half-empty or to see it as completely full of a combination of liquid and gas.

Piso Mojado

the only other thing anime has taught me is that Japan is weird

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Robot Made of Meat posted:

In the end, it's only you who decide to see the glass as half-empty or to see it as completely full of a combination of liquid and gas.

Legit made me tear up. I'm saving this in my vault of good things to say. You're an awesome forums poster Robot Made of Meat!

Robot Made of Meat

Piso Mojado posted:

the only other thing anime has taught me is that Japan is weird

You needed anime to teach you that?

Macnult

Piso Mojado posted:

Anime has taught me that the most informally trained martial artists are often the ones who come out on top.

lmao

Robot Made of Meat

shinmai posted:

Legit made me tear up. I'm saving this in my vault of good things to say. You're an awesome forums poster Robot Made of Meat!

Aww. Thanks.

bean mom

there is still ice cream

----------------

BirryJoru

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
one scoop in a cone to go, please

NOPE!

FluffieDuckie

FluffieDuckie posted:

I know. Matoi came to your rescue. I'm trying not to fall off an exercise bike and reading on my browser.

Also I think the lady next to me is going to report me

eonwe sweetie it's hilarious that you reported this post saying you were the lady in the gym but if you could maybe be hilarious in a way that doesn't abuse the something awful reporting system that would be great kthxbye

alnilam

eonwe you are good but it would be nice if you didn't cry wolf as a joke imo but i'm sure you didn't mean any harm but still

ty manifisto

alnilam

hi

ty manifisto

FluffieDuckie

i mean it made me laugh.

but still

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

eonwe sweetie it's hilarious that you reported this post saying you were the lady in the gym but if you could maybe be hilarious in a way that doesn't abuse the something awful reporting system that would be great kthxbye

lol

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FluffieDuckie posted:

haha

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out

Piso Mojado posted:

I can't speak to anime, but it's true that in martial arts it's better to be taught concepts that you then learn to apply to movements rather than learning movements from which you're eventually supposed to intuit concepts.

But it's a lot easier to just have your class do a bunch of rote kicks and sequences forever, even though (while that will develop physical skill) it doesn't do a lot for your ability to think.

Informally trained martial artists can be interesting and creative; they have to be way more rigorous, though, or they'll end up making stupid mistakes.

I realize you're joking around but :shrug: I'm a very literal thinker.

Robot Made of Meat posted:

What you're missing is that all of us are in the same situation. Some of us see it, some don't. Some strive to be better, some don't. But none of us are perfect. All of us need improvement. All of us crave approval.

But you are a good person with good traits. Never lose sight of that.

I hear you.

I think that I less crave approval than I am bewildered by it; I've gone without for so long that to have it freely offered out of the blue is

it's strange; I don't know how to handle it.

I train the way I do because of physical necessity; I'm a big guy, and doing the quick stuff (or the high flying) other practitioners favor would blow out my joints. Since I intend to keep training for the long haul, I have to move

well

slowly and deliberately, which means I have to plan out my movements three to five seconds in advance.

shinmai posted:

This is a very common problem with skilled people. Unskilled people don't have a good perspective of the enormity of a field of study, and don't realise how much they have still to learn.

Slow progress is, in my experience, a good thing. If becoming experienced at something is progressing very fast, I often find later on, that I've misunderstood something or haven't actually learned things properly.

This seems accurate.

It's just that the enormity of the things I have yet to do is

it's humbling.

Measured by how far I have left to go, I have trouble thinking of myself as especially competent or skilled.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

FluffieDuckie posted:

lol

----------------

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
anime taught me that 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10 km of running a day are all i need to be the best

Piso Mojado

HighwireAct posted:

anime taught me that 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10 km of running a day are all i need to be the best

*horde of Starting Strength goons rush into thread to correct you*

Grognan

by Fluffdaddy

HighwireAct posted:

If you can do that every day you are good

----------------

Piso Mojado

FilthIncarnate posted:

I realize you're joking around but :shrug: I'm a very literal thinker.

I'm an illiterate thinker

Piso Mojado

im also illiterate irl :cry:

eonwe

I thought it was funny :shobon:

sorry lol

FluffieDuckie

Eonwe posted:

I thought it was funny :shobon:

sorry lol

It was. :glomp:

Now don't do it again :colbert:

Matoi Ryuko

HighwireAct posted:

I did that and now I'm invincible but alienated from the rest of humanity. :( also I did 13.5k a day instead of just 10.

Matoi Ryuko

Grognan posted:

If you can do that every day you are good

Thanks.

Anoia

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
eonwe said to come post here and I'm bored and so hi

Piso Mojado

hello. welcome to the thunderdome!

FluffieDuckie

Welcome anoia :wave: