Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shnicker posted:

Like which phone? The S7 is one of the best reviewed phones around. I guess I should've mentioned that I prefer Android, but are there any other phones that I should be considering?

iPhone 6S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Can you get cash paid (i.e., I don't want to access my credit or attach my name to the line) iPhones, preferably on Verizon's network?

Cost isn't really an issue, I've been paying ~$120/month for one line, and I've bought the last two iPhones in [maximum size] out of contract.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Any unlocked iPhone will work on Verizon, so yes, buy a SIMless one. Unless you mean you literally want to hand over a stack of bills, in which case, I'm not so sure.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Any unlocked iPhone will work on Verizon, so yes, buy a SIMless one. Unless you mean you literally want to hand over a stack of bills, in which case, I'm not so sure.
I guess I'm more looking for "plan" recommendations, sorry. If I want a "burner" (albeit one I intend to keep), am I limited to crappy flip phones and the like? Do any of the major companies offer plans like this or is it the exclusive domain of Walmart and seedy shops in Brooklyn?

edit: That was unclear, now that I reread it. I want a burner phone, and need to find out where I can get the service. Also, I'd like to use an iPhone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, you can buy prepaid cards for all the prepaid networks, including Verizon. For Verizon you might have some trouble getting a SIM, but I *think* if you buy a super-cheap prepaid phone then swap SIMs into an iPhone it should work fine, but don't quote me on that. Any GSM prepaid service (Cricket is AT&T so should be 95% as good as Verizon) will also work how you want.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, you can buy prepaid cards for all the prepaid networks, including Verizon. For Verizon you might have some trouble getting a SIM, but I *think* if you buy a super-cheap prepaid phone then swap SIMs into an iPhone it should work fine, but don't quote me on that. Any GSM prepaid service (Cricket is AT&T so should be 95% as good as Verizon) will also work how you want.
Ok, perfect. If I bought my iPhone from an Apple Store, without renewing my contract, is there anything else I need to do to throw a Cricket or other carrier SIM in it? It's an A1688, if that matters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope, stick the new SIM in and away you go. Maybe reboot.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

I ordered a G4 (retail price) from Best Buy's site to replace my aging Galaxy S3. When I get it in the mail, do I just swap the SIM card from old to new phone and away I go? I hate having to involve Verizon employees in my life if I can avoid it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If they're the same size yeah should just be a matter of swapping SIMs

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Welp, after 20 years owning cell phones I finally destroyed my first one. Guess I should be springing for cases after all. So my Nexus 6 is done and I'd really like to wait for new Nexus devices to come out in the fall. In the mean time I can either use my old Nexus 4, which still works fine as far as I know, or borrow a brand new K7 from a friend. Alternatively I could fix the screen on my N6 for $150ish dollars or buy something of a comparable price to tide me over (if there's anything in that price range better than a nexus 4 or K7).

I'm leaning toward just using the Nexus 4 since the K7 screen is garbage. I don't really do anything that requires a lot of memory or processing power on my phone, so I'm hesitant to pay money repairing the N6.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If it's otherwise in great shape, I'm sure you could sell it for more than $150, so I don't think it makes sense to not repair it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah that makes sense. I'll just use my Nexus 4 until I get parts for the 6 then see if I feel like buying one of their new devices if/when they are released in the Fall.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm in need of a new phone.

Current carrier: Verizon
Current phone: Droid Maxx

Apparently the antenna in my current phone has poo poo itself and neither 4G nor GPS is working. A dude at the Verizon store near me tried a new SIM card without success.

Our current plan is used by my wife and myself. We currently have 4 GB of data shared between us. In the past five months or more, we haven't exceeded 2.6 GB.

The rep at the store said under their new plans we could either switch to a 3 or 6 GB plan. The former would cost $45 per month and the latter $65. I'm eligible for an upgrade and the rep told me this would allow a $20 discount off the monthly cost of any phone. So a phone which would normally be (making this up) $640 total with a monthly cost of $23 per month, would instead cost a total of $150 with a monthly cost of $3 per month.

So, I'm asking first - does that deal make sense?

Second, I'm not sure which phone to get. The most important things for me are:

Processor speed
Camera quality
Screen/phone size (large to very large)
Battery life

Really the only game I play is Puzzle and Dragons. Otherwise the phone is used for general web-fuckery. I have kids so I take thousands of pictures per day so a nice camera will be good to have.

Can anyone please help with a phone suggestion? Cost isn't too much of a factor I guess if the deal they're offering is as good as it sounds (it sounds like I'll be paying at most around $13 depending on the cost of the phone.

Should I just go with the Galaxy S7?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 1, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It sounds like the rep either didn't tell you about the line access charge or you forgot. Each line costs $40, which you then get a $20 discount on if you sign up for the phone payment plan, so it doesn't work out quite as nicely as you thought. Though the 6GB plan is $60, not $65.

As for phones, these will be the fastest with the biggest screens (in size order):

Nexus 6P
LG V10
Galaxy Note 5
Galaxy S7 Edge
iPhone 6S Plus

Of these, I'd recommend the iPhone or the Nexus, followed by one of the Galaxies, depending on whether a stylus sounds like something you want or not. I think the Edge might be slightly more powerful, but probably not so much that it really matters. The regular S7 is smaller than any of these, but if it fits into "large" you can also add the HTC 10. I wouldn't really change my recommendations here, though.

*The Nexus 6P is only available direct from Google, however, it'll work just fine on Verizon. You can sign up for a payment plan with them or buy it outright, and you'll still get the $20/line discount on your service plan.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thank you. I feel dense (or maybe just old at this point) because phone shopping is a bit confusing. I always feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

Here's our plan right now:

Plan: MORE EVERY UNL TLK&TXT 4GB
Data: $60.00
Line Access Fees: $80.00
Estimated Total Monthly Cost (with discounts): $140.00 (doesn't include taxes and fees)

It sounds like with the cost of a new phone figured into a new plan, I'll be paying about the same per month for less data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It kinda looks like you can pay ~$5 more for less data or ~$20 more for more data. Breakdown is something like this:

Data 6 GB: $60/ 3 GB: $45
Line access fees: 2 x $40
Payment/BOYD discount: 2 x -$20
Phone cost: 2 x ~$30

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks again. Our contract is up in July so I think at this point I'm going to continue using my broken phone and we're going to shop around for other providers. My wife really wants to go back to T-Mobile for some reason. Project Fi from Google sounds pretty good to me but I haven't done a ton of research on it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I currently use Fi and, while I like it, I want to get an iPhone. I used ATT before in my area and it worked great. I used Fi and was similarly pleased with it and use about 1.5 - 2.5 GB a month. I was thinking about using the GoPhone service which is $40/mo. It's about the same price point as Fi and gets me 3GB+unlimited slow data, unlimited talk/text, and no contract.

Am I making a mistake here? The alternative is to have a postpaid plan that's $55/mo+ through ATT. Idk if there are any pitfalls to using GoPhone other than weird poo poo like not being able to use WiFi calling which I never used.

Also, I've been led to believe GoPhone doesn't charge a per-line fee per month like a normal plan, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I currently use Fi and, while I like it, I want to get an iPhone. I used ATT before in my area and it worked great. I used Fi and was similarly pleased with it and use about 1.5 - 2.5 GB a month. I was thinking about using the GoPhone service which is $40/mo. It's about the same price point as Fi and gets me 3GB+unlimited slow data, unlimited talk/text, and no contract.

Am I making a mistake here? The alternative is to have a postpaid plan that's $55/mo+ through ATT. Idk if there are any pitfalls to using GoPhone other than weird poo poo like not being able to use WiFi calling which I never used.

Also, I've been led to believe GoPhone doesn't charge a per-line fee per month like a normal plan, right?

Usually people recommend that if you're going to use an AT&T MVNO that you go with Cricket being as they're wholly owned by AT&T. The price is about the same and at least there will be local stores you can go to when or if you have trouble.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

cricket is good and if you use autopay would be 5 dollars cheaper than the gophone option for the same network

e: although 2.5 rather than 3 gb data

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Usually people recommend that if you're going to use an AT&T MVNO that you go with Cricket being as they're wholly owned by AT&T. The price is about the same and at least there will be local stores you can go to when or if you have trouble.

It's actually opposite, Go Phone is supported in ATT stores, Cricket is not. You have to go to a cricket store or cricket customer care. Unless this changed in the last 8 months when I was last in an ATT store that's how it is.

Also, someone clarified in the ATT thread, apparently Go Phone doesn't throttle at 7MB for data. Just FYI.

Honestly, I would think Go Phone and Cricket will be about the same coverage wise, so it's a bit of preference and who has the current best plan.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

It's actually opposite, Go Phone is supported in ATT stores, Cricket is not. You have to go to a cricket store or cricket customer care. Unless this changed in the last 8 months when I was last in an ATT store that's how it is.

Also, someone clarified in the ATT thread, apparently Go Phone doesn't throttle at 7MB for data. Just FYI.

Honestly, I would think Go Phone and Cricket will be about the same coverage wise, so it's a bit of preference and who has the current best plan.

I'm genuinely surprised but you are the expert. I've never even heard of Go Phone but I'd sure recommend them based on this information.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OK, see if you can help me here.

Country/Provider:
UK, O2

Current contract status:
Due for upgrade.

Budget (phone/plan):
Up to £30 (poor as poo poo unfortunately)

Features I know I want:
Vanilla android (or near to it as possible), in particular marshmallow for the permission management. Screen size about 5". Not too bothered about data allowance since I work from home and use the home wifi.

I've been kind of going round in circles in my head over the last few days, and think i've reached a decision. My upgrade is with Carphone Warehouse, and out of the options they've got, the LG Nexus 5X seems to be the best for what I want. The rest seem to be overpriced, oversized, or are by Sony / Huawei and I can't really get on with their android versions.

The Huawei P9 looked good stat wise, but also seemed fragile as hell when I saw it (the in-store model was actually visibly bent by the holding clip). It also has the weird Huawei UI, but I could probably replace the launcher. I'm not sure about the likelihood of getting timely android updates either. The processor & memory look a lot better though.

Current phone is a 2013 Moto X (based on this thread's recommendation), which has been fantastic. I'd probably keep it if it wasn't for the fact that the handset's starting to slow down occasionally, and won't be getting the marshmallow upgrade. It also has a hardware bug (intermittent crackling from the rear speaker at weird moments).

I'd consider going to another store if they have a much better deal (or a better 5" phone with marshmallow), but prefer CPW since they have stores everywhere. I also prefer O2 as a network since I have dyspraxia and can't understand thick accents over the phone if I need to call support, and they have pretty good coverage even out here in rural Oxfordshire.

TL;DR: Is the LG Nexus 5X a good handset, and would I be making a massive mistake getting it on O2 at £28 a month (unlimited texts & calls, 1gb data)? Are there any notably better deals / phones I should be looking out for?

e: O2 have the 32gb nexus in for the same price, so i'll see if I can get them to match it.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 5, 2016

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My note 3 is starting to fall apart, and I want to get a new phone. I was thinking of getting a Nexus 5X (not the 5P). Any quibbles with it? I should just be able to pop the sim card out and swap it right? I'm on verizon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My note 3 is starting to fall apart, and I want to get a new phone. I was thinking of getting a Nexus 5X (not the 5P). Any quibbles with it? I should just be able to pop the sim card out and swap it right? I'm on verizon.

I think they're the same SIM size, so you can just pop in your SIM. Verizon will always give you a free SIM in store worst case.

LastInLine posted:

but you are the expert.

I wouldn't go that far. Good at pretending. Dumb enough to stay working in phones.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Hopefully this isn't too tall an order; my girlfriend wants an unlocked, reasonably cheap phone and her other criteria is that it needs a decent-to-good camera and isn't big. She has an iphone 5C right now and that's her upper limit on size (4.87" x 2.31") pretty much.

I'm getting a crazy-good BYOD plan through work that i've ordered a ZenFone 2 for. She was interested in one for herself but once I told her how big it was she said no thanks.

Any suggestions?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iPhone SE

Only other thing that's not completely horrible at that size is the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, but it's not really any cheaper than the iPhone and probably not as good a phone overall.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Not sure this is the right thread but-
Any recommendations for a full sized keyboard to go with the phone? (Samsung galaxy note 5, Verizon, Android. Gosh I have a lot of corporate overlords.) If it had like a clip or stand for the phone that would be cool, but not required. Is this just any old bluetooth keyboard?

Just grabbed the cheapest one at best buy. Logitech K480. A little on the heavy side but does the job.

Epitope fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 9, 2016

Made with Air
Jan 30, 2007
My boyfriend and I are both wanting new phones but neither of us keep up to date with cellphone technology.

Country/Provider: :canada:

Current contract status: I haven't been on a contract for years. I have a QC number and consequently one of the best plans around, while my boyfriend's contract with Rogers ended last month.

Budget (phone/plan): $500 / each phone. I've got my phone plan sorted out and my boyfriend's looking for around $50/month. As a bonus, I have about $75 in credit with koodo thanks to a grandfathered tab program, but I don't care if I don't have to use it.

Features I know I want:

He currently uses a Samsung S4 and is looking to maintain screen size (or maybe larger), improved camera, improved battery life, and potentially expandable storage. I think he's leaning towards S6?

I currently use an iPhone 5 and would like to avoid buying another iPhone. I'm looking for a bigger screen size, excellent dpi AND low-light reading, an above-average phone camera, and as vain as it sounds, I'd really like the phone to look nice too. I know this thread hates Oneplus but I'm leaning towards it almost solely for its aesthetics so someone please help me find an alternative! I also use my phone for a lot of metrics and take it with me when I work out, so I'd appreciate something that wouldn't fracture just looking at it. Saying that I take extremely good care of all my electronics and they have all died a peaceful death in retirement. Lastly, I'd like it if the phone used a nano sim so I could just pop in the one from my iPhone 5, but it's not necessary.

Neither of us play cellphone games besides sudoku and spider solitaire (we're super interesting people clearly) but spend probably 85% of our phone usage browsing and 15% texting, with 0.0000000001% calls. I'm more of a visual person and my boyfriend is more of a functional person.

I'd appreciate if a few phones were suggested for the both of us so we'd know where to start looking. Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If you want a good camera you really should stick with an iPhone though if you insist on Android I guess there's Samsung. Those are really your only options if the camera is important to you.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Aren't Xperia cameras supposed to be alright? GSM Arena seemed OK with the X series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, but good luck getting support for a phone from a company that has been very quickly firing their entire phone division.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That might just be in line with the reduction in the amount of phones they're putting out though:

http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-sells-fewer-phones-makes-more-money-2015-689945/

'Return to profitability by 2016' does not seem achievable though, especially with the price / spec ratio on the X line. Having said that, all of the phone shops in my town are sold out of the X, and it is a good looking phone, so it's possible it might work if it can hit the right mass appeal.

Sucks though. I got a Moto X just as Moto went down, and now i've upgraded again, Xperia is circling the drain. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That article seems to be implying fewer units, rather than fewer models. If they're supporting the same number of models with fewer employees, you can be assured worse support going forward.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Well, they're dropping the Z line for a start, and there are rumours the same might happen to the C and M lines. If they simplify their output instead of spamming the market with variants like Samsung, it could work.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan
I currently have a Moto X GSM unlocked phone (1st generation, I think) I purchased in June 2014. I'm going to be overseas this summer (departing June 28th) in UK and Europe.

I'd like to have phone access while I'm there, even if I'm limited to calling local (UK or European) numbers. I don't need the ability to call international from my phone. I ported my old phone number to Google voice a long time ago and typically call with it, if that matters.

While it might be useful to have smartphone functionality/Internet access (data plan) while I'm out and about, I don't consider it mandatory. I will have my laptop with me and expect (naively?) to have Internet access at the hotel.

My current U.S.A. plan

Country/Provider: USA, Straight Talk (AT&T is the actual provider, I think)
Current contract status: Active, already paid [halfway] through August, 2016
Budget (phone/plan): Around $50 for phone service on the trip? $100 maximum?
Features I know I want: phone

Should I be concerned about taking or using my phone overseas? It's running stock 5.1 that came from Motorola.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Well, they're dropping the Z line for a start, and there are rumours the same might happen to the C and M lines. If they simplify their output instead of spamming the market with variants like Samsung, it could work.

Not that this is the thread for this, but this is obviously not true on its face. I'd have to imagine that making that first smartphone is the hardest. Aside from things interfacing with the SoC and other components, most of the software you used on that first phone carries over to your other smartphones. But let's say that's not the case and for every variant you make you're duplicating 80% of the work every time, that still doesn't take into account that they simply can't sell enough phones to make it a profitable endeavor. There are too many companies splitting too small a market (the non-Apple/non-Samsung smartphone market) and they are competing on price meaning the margins are also too small. Reducing the models you sell doesn't change the economics enough to move the needle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dbcooper posted:

I currently have a Moto X GSM unlocked phone (1st generation, I think) I purchased in June 2014. I'm going to be overseas this summer (departing June 28th) in UK and Europe.

I'd like to have phone access while I'm there, even if I'm limited to calling local (UK or European) numbers. I don't need the ability to call international from my phone. I ported my old phone number to Google voice a long time ago and typically call with it, if that matters.

While it might be useful to have smartphone functionality/Internet access (data plan) while I'm out and about, I don't consider it mandatory. I will have my laptop with me and expect (naively?) to have Internet access at the hotel.

My current U.S.A. plan

Country/Provider: USA, Straight Talk (AT&T is the actual provider, I think)
Current contract status: Active, already paid [halfway] through August, 2016
Budget (phone/plan): Around $50 for phone service on the trip? $100 maximum?
Features I know I want: phone

Should I be concerned about taking or using my phone overseas? It's running stock 5.1 that came from Motorola.

You might want to ask one of the A/T or LAN threads about getting service, but your phone should work just fine wherever if it's an unlocked GSM model.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

Endless Mike posted:

You might want to ask one of the A/T or LAN threads about getting service, but your phone should work just fine wherever if it's an unlocked GSM model.

Thanks! Will do.

I found FrequencyCheck useful to check my phone compatibility in other countries (assuming the information is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dbcooper posted:

Thanks! Will do.

I found FrequencyCheck useful to check my phone compatibility in other countries (assuming the information is correct.

This is a cool link that should be in the OP.

EDIT: That said, the majority of the world using GSM uses the same four bands, so if you have those, you're pretty much covered. LTE gets more complicated, but for basic calling and even data, you'll be fine in most places.