Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brosnan posted:

That's why I just continue calling him Pudge, everyone knows what it means

When I was playing Tracer in random hero mode I kept mashing R trying to use her rewind. An old Dota 2 habit from playing Weaver because his ult is basically identical to Tracer's rewind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I actually don't. What is a "Pudge"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzPvtc8h7S0

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Oh, a dota thing. I will continue to ignore it then.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

So, uh, random hero mode has revealed the fact that I don't know how to play Zarya at all. Like, at all. Everyone stops shooting when I use my shield and I never get a chance to charge my gun and it does piss poor damage as a result and then the shield ends and I get slaughtered. What am I doing wrong here?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Winston does not counter Widowmaker if the Widowmaker isn't bad. It's a dumb, awful meme that needs to stop being parroted as if that somehow justifies the state she's currently in.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Baby Babbeh posted:

So, uh, random hero mode has revealed the fact that I don't know how to play Zarya at all. Like, at all. Everyone stops shooting when I use my shield and I never get a chance to charge my gun and it does piss poor damage as a result and then the shield ends and I get slaughtered. What am I doing wrong here?

Nothing, Zarya's biggest weakness is that everything bar her ult, and in limited situations her alt fire, is useless against teams who actually know not to shoot her, unless you can charge up using autofiring torb or symmetra turrets.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't knw what meme you're talking about but double winston is a legit competitive strat to deal with widowmaker in pushes?

Baby Babbeh posted:

Zarya doesn't sustain front line soaking like reinhardt can. She has to position well to get in and out of combat to make up for her active shield's downtime and she also needs to be quick on shielding whichever teammate comes under fire.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

Don't use your shields to protect people. Treat your shields as a quicktime event that says "get a shitton of damage applied to this to boost your damage" and you'll start throwing it at people who are actively taking fire. It doesn't last long enough to be like "yo I've got your back, go in there" despite Zarya's lines suggesting it's exactly that. Use it to intercept already happening damage. You can also do it to nullify some ults like Junkrat's tire if you can bait them. I even sometimes see Zarya self-barrier and dip briefly into a Hanzo dragon to fuel up. Basically it's not pre-emptive protection. Put it on someone who's already getting hosed up or they're just gonna avoid shooting it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Very few maps don't have chokepoints, and those chokepoints are a great way to build Zarya energy unless the entire other team is hitscan.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

NTRabbit posted:

Nothing, Zarya's biggest weakness is that everything bar her ult, and in limited situations her alt fire, is useless against teams who actually know not to shoot her, unless you can charge up using autofiring torb or symmetra turrets.

Getting them to not shoot you or a team mate for two seconds is actually pretty useful, even if you don't get the bonus damage. You can even body block to force them to stop firing at you and your team.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Using your shield to pre-emptively protect a key target is fine even if your opponents can choose to pull off that target. I actually feel like worrying too much about getting weapon charge is the trap on zarya - if you protect valuable enough targets whenever possible you will naturally be at high energy and the beam is fine even at low energy.

Also she works better with naturally high profile targets such as pharah, reaper (and mercy of course). A pharah with a zarya shield applied as she jumps can in fact pressure a widowmaker.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Don't try to bubble against Bastion. It don't care about your puny 200 HP shields.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

All that chart told me is I need to play more robot monk.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zoness posted:

Using your shield to pre-emptively protect a key target is fine even if your opponents can choose to pull off that target. I actually feel like worrying too much about getting weapon charge is the trap on zarya - if you protect valuable enough targets whenever possible you will naturally be at high energy and the beam is fine even at low energy.

well i mean iw ouldnt call an 80 dps weapon with weird hit detection (you have to be hitting the person during a server tick for it to register damage) "fine"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fans posted:

Getting them to not shoot you or a team mate for two seconds is actually pretty useful, even if you don't get the bonus damage. You can even body block to force them to stop firing at you and your team.

But then your team dies around you, and you're left alone with a shield that may or may not be in cooldown, and even if it isn't you either spend the time hiding and waiting for respawns, or dying horribly to overwhelming firepower that kills any charge you may have gotten anyway, because the gun is chancy even at full charge, let alone at minimum. The only time I've ever seen a good Zarya is when my idiot team repeatedly shot at her shields, and she ended up with the achievement for keeping the charge above 50 all game. The few other times, we or they would have been better off with a Reinhardt.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Zoness posted:

the beam is fine even at low energy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Don't use your shields to protect people. Treat your shields as a quicktime event that says "get a shitton of damage applied to this to boost your damage" and you'll start throwing it at people who are actively taking fire.

You'd be amazed at how many people die before you can put the shield on them, or run and hide as soon as they get it, rendering the entire affair a pointless waste of time.

I mean sure, putting the shield on a cart pushing Reinhardt gets you charged, but with the Reinhardt doing the actual tanking, Zarya is just taking a spot far better used by S76, Pharah, Tracer, et al, someone doing necessary ranged or flanking damage to those dug in bastions and torb turrets.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Countblanc posted:

well i mean iw ouldnt call an 80 dps weapon with weird hit detection (you have to be hitting the person during a server tick for it to register damage) "fine"

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks the hit detection on the beam feels really weird

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The real Zarya secret is turning the shield on when Rein is going hammer crazy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cowcaster posted:

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks the hit detection on the beam feels really weird

it also comes out the side of your screen instead of the center which gets pretty messy during frantic team fights, and that doesnt help

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

You'd be amazed at how many people die before you can put the shield on them, or run and hide as soon as they get it, rendering the entire affair a pointless waste of time.

I mean sure, putting the shield on a cart pushing Reinhardt gets you charged, but with the Reinhardt doing the actual tanking, Zarya is just taking a spot far better used by S76, Pharah, Tracer, et al, someone doing necessary ranged or flanking damage to those dug in bastions and torb turrets.

this is not how you use Zarya

her shield makes up for situations where other heroes would be more vulnerable than normal, such as when reinhardt has to drop his shield, or when a healer is under pressure from an opposing flanker, or when an ally is caught by one of several things that incapacitate and then kill them.

It also more or less guarantees that pharah and reaper cannot be killed easily during their ults without costing a lucio ult as setup.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Baby Babbeh posted:

I like to drop shield mid fight so that they usually don't have time to think to stop firing. Same with giving my teammate a shield

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

NTRabbit posted:

But then your team dies around you, and you're left alone with a shield that may or may not be in cooldown, and even if it isn't you either spend the time hiding and waiting for respawns, or dying horribly to overwhelming firepower that kills any charge you may have gotten anyway, because the gun is chancy even at full charge, let alone at minimum. The only time I've ever seen a good Zarya is when my idiot team repeatedly shot at her shields, and she ended up with the achievement for keeping the charge above 50 all game. The few other times, we or they would have been better off with a Reinhardt.

She's mainly there to save the rear end of people who Reinhardt can't.

If you're quick you can save someone who's been McCree flashed, or Roadhog chain pulled or Reinhardt charged where they'd just die otherwise. If a Winston jumps over to gently caress up your Mercy or Lucio, you can make your healer invincible long enough they could just kill Winston themselves. If Mei turns up, you can make someone immune to her freeze gun for 2 seconds and it even clears any freeze she's built up on them, as well as being a get out of jail free for her Ultimate too. She's also hilarious to team up with a Mei, because a Mei who's basically invincible for 2 seconds is a terror. If they're spamming explosives Zarya can just eat them for free charge and then lob her own back. She's also tough enough to handle Reaper's and Tracer's, her beam and explodey balls do enough dps that they can't really harass you as easily as they could a Reinhardt as you can just make them gently caress off all by yourself.

She's also great for supporting Ults. A Pharah will appreciate a 400 life shield so the enemy Widow doesn't just blast her out of the sky and her own Ult is basically a big gently caress you to control point fights.

Reinhardt's great and pretty much always useful, but Zarya brings stuff to the team he can't do.

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 8, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

^^ Anyone getting hooked by Roadhog is going to be dragged out of your range, there is a point beyond which you can't target a friendly anymore.

Zoness posted:

this is not how you use Zarya

her shield makes up for situations where other heroes would be more vulnerable than normal, such as when reinhardt has to drop his shield, or when a healer is under pressure from an opposing flanker, or when an ally is caught by one of several things that incapacitate and then kill them.

It also more or less guarantees that pharah and reaper cannot be killed easily during their ults without costing a lucio ult as setup.

People who get shields on them do not go out and take damage, they run and hide like the shield isn't there. Unless you're putting it on a tank, the majority of the time you go to put the shield on someone already taking fire they die before you can do it. If there's already a better tank to put the shield on, why are you bothering with Zarya?

There is no correct way to play Zarya against people who know not to shoot her shields, the gun never gets charged, the beam range is vastly insufficient and has hit detection issues, and you're basically reduced to a budget Junkrat lobbing grenades until your singularity ult charges.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 8, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zarya's shield also breaks Symmetra's gun lock temporarily on cast, for what it's worth.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Zarya does sick damage and has arguably the second best Ult in the game. Zarya Ult can both instantly stop pushes (a good tool for stopping someone from triggering overtime) and can very easily lead to a Team Kill.

Any shortcomings she has are more or less instantly validated by her powerful Ult.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

NTRabbit posted:

^^ Anyone getting hooked by Roadhog is going to be dragged out of your range, there is a point beyond which you can't target a friendly anymore.

Roadhog's chain is a 20 meter range, Zarya's shield is 30. I mean yeah if you're standing on the other side of the map to them they're hosed, but if you're anywhere near the fight as it's going on it's not exactly a hard shot to make.

NTRabbit posted:

People who get shields on them do not go out and take damage, they run and hide like the shield isn't there.

If you're playing against a team MLG enough that they never shoot your shield with a team that's too stupid to know what Zarya's shield even does I don't think it really matters what character you play, you've lost.

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 8, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Goon groups goddamn just use the in-game voice system

Not everyone wants to remap all their keys to accommodate a second, third, and fourth voice thing when there's a fully functioning one in game that has the added benefit of showing who's talking and the ability to address random pubbies if we need to. It'd be cool to group with goons without one group saying "talk in discord" and the next saying "get in mumble" an entirely other set of people saying "get in teamspeak"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

an entirely other set of people saying "get in teamspeak"

i refuse to believe this happens

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Zarya is also a powerful skirmisher because half of her health pool is shields which means she doesn't need a Mercy baby-sitting her unless the Mercy wants extra Ult charge.

In other news, I suddenly remembered I have my 1600x900 monitor upscaled to 1960x1080 resolution, which meant enemies were significantly smaller on my screen than they should have been. Now that I have been training as a Widowmaker in the technical equivalent of the hyperbolic time machine, I am going to downscale my monitor back to its proper resolution and become a gaming god.

See you guys on twitch.tv where people will watch my sick snipes all day and donate big bux with meme donations

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

i refuse to believe this happens

Non goons but I have another friend who plays with ArsTechnica people and they still use that

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Goon groups goddamn just use the in-game voice system

Not everyone wants to remap all their keys to accommodate a second, third, and fourth voice thing when there's a fully functioning one in game that has the added benefit of showing who's talking and the ability to address random pubbies if we need to. It'd be cool to group with goons without one group saying "talk in discord" and the next saying "get in mumble" an entirely other set of people saying "get in teamspeak"

Discord has an open mic system that is infinitely better than Overwatch's and it's own overlay that lets you see who's talking.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

Same. I find the beam incredibly hard to hit for something that should be very easy (point and hold dot on enemy hero). Even when it's middling to almost fully charged it feels like it's often not hitting/doing-damage but maybe just hard to tell.

I still like Zarya but drat it's sometimes a little frustrating.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

a cat on an apple posted:

Zarya does sick damage and has arguably the second best Ult in the game

How is it the second best ult in the game? It does no damage and is entirely reliant on your team to make the most of it, which they usually don't unless you've got a Pharah sitting on her own ult.

Zarya just doesn't do anything that isn't done better by a different character, even the Mei freeze ult, which is fundamentally similar, is better at locking groups of enemies into place for picking off. Reinhardt is a much better tank, S76 is a much better skirmisher, Junkrat is a much better standoff grenade launcher.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

NTRabbit posted:

How is it the second best ult in the game? It does no damage and is entirely reliant on your team to make the most of it, which they usually don't unless you've got a Pharah sitting on her own ult.

I think the problem is the team focused character doesn't work when you're on a team of clueless pubbies who've no interest in working with you.

It's like trying to be a Mercy to a Pharah who can't shoot for poo poo or a Reinhart on a team who refuse to stand behind your shield. Not really the character's fault.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

Discord has an open mic system that is infinitely better than Overwatch's and it's own overlay that lets you see who's talking.

God drat you are insufferable.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LoG posted:

I would say the insufferable thing is randomly inserting yourself into someone else's conversation to try and lay a sick burn.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
lol if you don't literally have at least 5 VOIP programs running simultaneously at all times

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

LoG posted:

She's right though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fans posted:

I think the problem is the team focused character doesn't work when you're on a team of clueless pubbies who've no interest in working with you.

It's like trying to be a Mercy to a Pharah who can't shoot for poo poo or a Reinhart on a team who refuse to stand behind your shield. Not really the character's fault.

Yeah but even in that all too common situation, as a Reinhardt I can usually at least push the cart myself right up to the precipice unless they have a really hot poo poo Junkrat, playing Zarya instead is a recipe for not even reaching the cart unlock point.