Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

She's right though?

maybe they're both right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

Discord has an open mic system that is infinitely better than Overwatch's and it's own overlay that lets you see who's talking.

But goons aren't the only people in my life and I don't really care to have a ton of systems to accommodate each of them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
"Why do people want me to use discord?"
"Well, it has these advantages"
"OH MY GOD SHUT UP YOU INSUFFERABLE oval office"

Nehru the Damaja posted:

But goons aren't the only people in my life and I don't really care to have a ton of systems to accommodate each of them.

That's fine, but Discord is Good and useful for other things.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If you're on Discord people can drop into the channel and ask when you'd have a spot free.

More importantly you can poo poo talk the pubbies behind their back if you don't have a full group, a vital tool.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

"Why do people want me to use discord?"
"Well, it has these advantages"
"OH MY GOD SHUT UP YOU INSUFFERABLE oval office"

That's fine, but Discord is Good and useful for other things.

Thanks for proving my point.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Do we have a street date for Competitive mode yet? As much as I love this game, I think I need something more than the loot boxes at LVL up to keep me going now.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LoG posted:

Thanks for proving my point.

I don't even know who the gently caress you are.

BigRed0427 posted:

Do we have a street date for Competitive mode yet? As much as I love this game, I think I need something more than the loot boxes at LVL up to keep me going now.
Soon™

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fans posted:

If you're on Discord people can drop into the channel and ask when you'd have a spot free.

More importantly you can poo poo talk the pubbies behind their back if you don't have a full group, a vital tool.

You can switch between group and team chat in the client.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I see. You want them to accommodate you.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Would Zenyatta be OP if he could still shoot and apply discord during his ult

It seems like it would be a cool way to improve an ult that is basically a shittier version of Lucio's

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

NTRabbit posted:

Unless you're putting it on a tank, the majority of the time you go to put the shield on someone already taking fire they die before you can do it.

There is no correct way to play Zarya against people who know not to shoot her shields...

While I agree with you that Zarya sucks in comparison to other tanks like Reinhardt/Winston, part of it just sounds like you aren't quite fast enough to shield people before they die -- it's not much different than hitting E right before you die as Tracer (you just have to aim a bit). I've played against great Zaryas who deny me kills by shielding their teammates at the last second, and those 2 seconds of invulnerability where I don't shoot back is often enough to change the fight from me killing their teammate to their teammate killing me. I wouldn't discount the value of having 2 seconds of "don't shoot at me or else" as completely worthless.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cicadalek posted:

It seems like it would be a cool way to improve an ult that is basically a shittier version of Lucio's

Having a character that does a ton of damage have zero counterplay for an allotted period of time would be rather broken.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

fortocero posted:

While I agree with you that Zarya sucks in comparison to other tanks like Reinhardt/Winston, part of it just sounds like you aren't quite fast enough to shield people before they die -- it's not much different than hitting E right before you die as Tracer (you just have to aim a bit). I've played against great Zaryas who deny me kills by shielding their teammates at the last second, and those 2 seconds of invulnerability where I don't shoot back is often enough to change the fight from me killing their teammate to their teammate killing me. I wouldn't discount the value of having 2 seconds of "don't shoot at me or else" as completely worthless.

When you play with any kind of latency, pressing E just before you die doesn't work for anyone, because you've actually already been dead a second or so and the server just hasn't told you yet; same math applies to attaching a remote ability to someone else.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BigRed0427 posted:

June

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

I don't even know who the gently caress you are.

Soon™

Why would you? Get over yourself and get back to contrarian poo poo posting.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Lady Naga posted:

Having a character that does a ton of damage have zero counterplay for an allotted period of time would be rather broken.

You can still shield against him, hook him, charge him, airblast him, icewall him, pharah-blast him...or just get out of his way the same way you do with McRee or 76.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

An invincible blob that can float through your frontline and decimate your mercy/lucio/whatever without any possible reprisal would be a bit broken, yes.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Cool new Zarya skin I got. I hardly play her though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cicadalek posted:

You can still shield against him, hook him, charge him, airblast him, icewall him, pharah-blast him...or just get out of his way the same way you do with McRee or 76.

Neither of which are literally invincible during their ult.

LoG posted:

Why would you? Get over yourself and get back to contrarian poo poo posting.
I am very sorry for whatever I did to upset you personally.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

When you play with any kind of latency, pressing E just before you die doesn't work for anyone, because you've actually already been dead a second or so and the server just hasn't told you yet; same math applies to attaching a remote ability to someone else.

it seems like the problem is that you are playing this game on ping that exceeds a whole second

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
One time I got the achievement for hitting 5 people with Zarya's ult... none of them died and they killed me while the toast was still on-screen.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

He should be able to use those extra arms for something is all i'm saying

That one taunt doesn't count

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Blizzard made a pretty good sniping game. I mean, the maps seem a little cramped sometimes, they could be a lot bigger, with wide open spaces to snipe in. But as games about being a sniper go, this one is still pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9R21Z7PpyM

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cicadalek posted:

He should be able to use those extra arms for something is all i'm saying

That one taunt doesn't count

Heh...

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

NTRabbit posted:

Sounds like a latency issue and not a Zarya issue then. Playing Tracer must suck for you as well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Zoness posted:

it seems like the problem is that you are playing this game on ping that exceeds a whole second

I'm playing in Australia, in whatever games the server puts me into. If a character only has a very small window of usefulness, and that window is closed by even the tiniest shred of latency, then that character has a problem that needs fixing.

I can actually play Tracer pretty well, but the latency does make it really hard to get the most out of Winston and Genji's ults, it's a real bastard trying to land small arc melee hits under those conditions. Aiming with Hanzo is pretty much just luck and random firing too.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

NTRabbit posted:

I'm playing in Australia, in whatever games the server puts me into. If a character only has a very small window of usefulness, and that window is closed by even the tiniest shred of latency, then that character has a problem that needs fixing.

A full second of latency is not a small window, that's 1000ms.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Something cool that happened, I got disconnected from a game, started the client back up and went right back into the same game. Is that new?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I should tried Symmetra sooner, she is pretty fun to play as. Never knew until playing her how deadly that laser she can shoot out can get. It went through Reinharlt in seconds when he got distracted by a turret. Any general tips on to use her. I seem to took some cues from people I played on where to stick turrets.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I play with 90-100ms and I don't have problems with lag, just the tick rate makes it seem like I'm still alive when I'm not

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I can actually play Tracer pretty well, but the latency does make it really hard to get the most out of Winston and Genji's ults, it's a real bastard trying to land small arc melee hits under those conditions. Aiming with Hanzo is pretty much just luck and random firing too.

What "fix" are you proposing? And wouldn't that just skew the problem the other way (the ability become too strong/useful for those with low ping)? Makes no sense to balance characters around your poor internet -- seems like they should set up better servers, closer to you, rather than mucking about with Zarya's abilities which are fine for others.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Grammaton posted:

Something cool that happened, I got disconnected from a game, started the client back up and went right back into the same game. Is that new?

it will automatically dump you in a game you've left if it's still going and a slot is still open. been like that since open beta or earlier.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
zarya should obviously :commissar: people who retreat with a shield on, that would be in flavor with the red army's treatment of retreating infantry during world war 2

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zoness posted:

zarya should obviously :commissar: people who retreat with a shield on, that would be in flavor with the red army's treatment of retreating infantry during world war 2

Problematic.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
zarya shields dont last very long so just use them as soon as you see a projectile about to hit a person

ganjis can reflect poo poo on reaction dont be a baby

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Keshik posted:

Blizzard made a pretty good sniping game. I mean, the maps seem a little cramped sometimes, they could be a lot bigger, with wide open spaces to snipe in. But as games about being a sniper go, this one is still pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9R21Z7PpyM

15 minute vid? really? cut to the good parts jabrony

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

fortocero posted:

What "fix" are you proposing? And wouldn't that just skew the problem the other way (the ability become too strong/useful for those with low ping)? Makes no sense to balance characters around your poor internet -- seems like they should set up better servers, closer to you, rather than mucking about with Zarya's abilities which are fine for others.

How about fixing her so that she's actually more useful than just in limited edge cases where a different character would actually be better anyway, no matter how fast your internet is? She's an exceptionally mediocre character no matter which way you slice it.

Doubling the range on her mediocre gun mmight be an idea, gives her a point of difference over all the other tanks, and takes her out of short range and into midrange, making her the ranged tank, as opposed to D.Va the flank tank, Winston the short/melee tank, and Reinhardt the tank tank.

Lady Naga posted:

When someone asks you "what fix are you proposing" they're usually asking you to provide a solution, not repeat what you've said in a slightly different variation and then act like you're objectively right when literally everyone else disagrees with you.

Do you ever get as tired of yourself as other people do?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 9, 2016

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
chuckles while throwing a flashbang on your side of the map

WOAH THERE!

fans you for 4000 damage

EASY!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

NTRabbit posted:

How about fixing her so that she's actually more useful than just in limited edge cases where a different character would actually be better anyway, no matter how fast your internet is? She's an exceptionally mediocre character no matter which way you slice it.

When someone asks you "what fix are you proposing" they're usually asking you to provide a solution, not repeat what you've said in a slightly different variation and then act like you're objectively right when literally everyone else disagrees with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Grammaton posted:

Cool new Zarya skin I got. I hardly play her though.

condolences