Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nah. Lex is talking to reporters after stopping some bank robbers in his supersuit, Superman decides he has to finally show himself and confront Lex. They start fighting and Jimmy Olsen's like "Perry. We need a reporter down here STAT!" You see someone running out of the Daily Planet going "On it!"
When he arrives, Jimmy's all "But you... but he..." and he goes "I assure you, it's really me." Then they all end up together and Lex is all like "And another Kent? Who are all you pretenders?!" and Doomsday busts in.

The way you said this I hoped Doomsday came in dressed as Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So for this week Rebirth issues:

- Flash was the best one. Williamson struck a perfect balance between the changes brought by the N52 and the old canon. Wally's meeting with Barry was handled better than in Rebirth and Barry meeting with Bruce really got me interested on see what will be next. This is a book I'll be following.

- Action Comics was a lot better than Superman although not a big fan of the way pre N52 Superman is lashing out at Luthor, the thing with Clark is also bugging me but overall a decent read.

- Detective Comics wasn't horrible but it wasn't impressive either. Just a pretty by the numbers story that feels like cribbing ideas from Arkham Knight.

- Aquaman was just sort of there and compared to the other issues was the one with the worst art.

- I hated WW. Azzarello's run was the first time I cared for the character and thus seeing Rucka pretty much giving Azz the middle finger with his story was like a slap in the face. So, this a series I won't be reading.

But now, is time to talk about the issue of the week for me. Red Hood Arsenal's final issue

This issue is leap and bounds better than the end of RHATO. Is clear Lobdell had a lot more time to set up this ending and was more or less given freedom to end it on his own terms.

The Iron Rule ended as nothing more than a plot device to bear the brunt of Jason's rage and dissapointment while Duela ultimately was just a minor hurdle. The thing that broke the boys wasn't Duela's machinations but the bystander's actions. In a pretty clever twist, the online poll was the final nail in the coffin for Roy and Jason's friendship. While was indoubtly awesome to see Jason go all out and take swiftly take down the Iron Rule, the palpable bitterness at the poll results is what struck the most to me. He really tried to change, to trust in people's goodness but his faith was misplaced. Ironically, Duela did break Jason's spirit but not in the way she wanted.

Given the preview pages I was fearful Roy would end scared of Jason and that being the reason of his separation but the truth was more satisfying and poignant: he was still willing to forgive Jason for his actions and start anew. This way Roy proved himself to be a true friend until the end. However, this was too much for Jason than realized if they continued together, Roy would be swept by his darkness and cynism, losing everything Jason valued in the first place. And thus, he decided to cut ties with him. This resolution makes feasible for the series' events to happen before Titan's Hunt making logical the reasons Roy ends with the Titans rounding his character's trip.

For Jason's character this is huge. For the longest time his needs and wants were the only thing that mattered to him but now, Lobdell managed to develop him into someone genuinely selfless willing to put other's needs over his.
I couldn't help but notice how Lobdell depicted the breakup in a way reminicent of a couple so, he gave something to everyone in this issue. The backup story is the perfect cap for the boys' adventures in the N52, perfectly emulating the feel of the silver age comic book stories and reminicent of the end of the UTRH animated movie.

Anyways, great issue. Lobdell finally topped RHATO 18 as his best work with these characters and it leave me anxious to see Jason's new adventures in the Rebirth. Hopefully, he and Roy will cross paths again and rekindle their friendship even if is just for a brief moment.

So long Rent-A-Bat, you were the best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Action, Flash, and Detective were all really good. Wonder Woman was kind of a nothing intro issue, but it was fine. So far I'm still on track to be reading all the books I've tried.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Red hood embracing it's homoerotism is actually nice.

Plus a book acknowledging it's wasted your time is also weirdly nice

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Action Comics was loving terrible. Like atrociously bad.

Same guy who did this:

Punches Lex apropros of nothing because he's Lex and therefore inherently evil.

And this was after Superman Rebirth being really good too. Can't just have a nice Superman, have to make him a oval office immediately.

Anyways, beyond that Detective Comics was loving great, so whatever. Like really fantastic. I'll just pretend that everything that happened in Action was left over from New 52, but just, man. Fuckin' DC.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 8, 2016

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't enjoy this week as much as last week. Aquaman was Aquaman, Flash felt like the Director's Cut of DC Universe Rebirth and Wonder Woman's "Everything I Know is a lie" is a garbage opening.

Wonder Woman being the embodiment of DC constantly smooshing all of its histories together is sad.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

Action Comics was loving terrible. Like atrociously bad.

Same guy who did this:

Punches Lex apropros of nothing because he's Lex and therefore inherently evil.

And this was after Superman Rebirth being really good too. Can't just have a nice Superman, have to make him a oval office immediately.

Anyways, beyond that Detective Comics was loving great, so whatever. Like really fantastic. I'll just pretend that everything that happened in Action was left over from New 52, but just, man. Fuckin' DC.

I try not to :goonsay: often but the Superman in Action Comics is definitely not that guy, as that is a pre-Crisis panel. The Superman we are reading about now debuted in 1986.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Space Fish posted:

Lumberjanes / Gotham Academy #1 does everything right.

I am excited to hear that. Lumberjanes sounds like a comic I'd really like, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I really like Gotham Academy, but I just got the second trade and it reads kinda... rushed and disjointed? It feels like it should be slowed down a bit and maybe like I'm missing a few bits and pieces.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

That kind of one character show is always a tricky thing. Do you have the character actually talk to themselves? Do it all internal monologue? (I only just got around to reading the full issue) I actually think Rucka did an admirable job leaving the Azzarello run open and valid for those that liked it. It didn't feel like he was unduly weighting the other versions. And there was some nice use of the negative space in the gutters. I'd agree that there could maybe have been a better setting than Diana moping in a hotel room, but as a mission statement, I don't think it was too wordy, mostly because while the theme is simple, the context is actually quite complicated and if you're assuming (rightly, given the pre-orders and our own Toxxupation's admission) that this is someone's first Wonder Woman comic, they NEED a lot of this info to make sense of what's happening.

At least it wasn't a monologue of "As you know, your mother, the queen..." type stuff.

I mean, yeah. I don't know really anything about what WW's done basically ever beyond some stuff she does in team-ups and not even then, and all I know are her abilities - lasso, bracers, etc. So for me it totally worked as a way of cutting to the heart of why I should care about WW and I think its metanarrative aspects were an interesting hook - to me, it makes perfect sense given the convoluted canon that is the DCU and WW's main weapon is the Lasso of Truth that her introductory story is her being confused over her own backstory. It makes for an immediately interesting and appealing character that I want to see more of while emphasizing the themes that define WW as a character. Really just fantastic stuff from top to bottom. And even though it was expository, since it wasn't overt exposition I didn't come to it from a rejective point of view.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

I try not to :goonsay: often but the Superman in Action Comics is definitely not that guy, as that is a pre-Crisis panel. The Superman we are reading about now debuted in 1986.

Fair enough, but even taking that into account Superman's immediate negative reaction and aggressive stance felt completely unearned and outright dickish. And it's just weird because the morality was so cluttered I have zero idea whose side I'm supposed to take. Is it Superman? Because he's a giant dick and as Lex even notes he attacked Lex with zero provocation. Is it Lex? Because if it is, then the comic needed to be more strident that what Supe was doing was wrong, as opposed to his son and wife watching what he's doing on TV and cheering him on.

It was just bad. Just bad, bad bad bad bad. I was totally on board with watching the adventures of married Clark Kent living in seclusion raising his son and helping from the shadows on an Earth not his own, but this single issue blew all that up so he could be a total douchebag. And this was supposed to be the blue sky, bright and shining future or whatever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Come on, you know he's totally right though.

I really liked Wonder Woman and this is my first issue of it, I know nothing about the Azarello run. How exactly was this making GBS threads all over it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

I really liked Wonder Woman and this is my first issue of it, I know nothing about the Azarello run. How exactly was this making GBS threads all over it?

It really wasn't. It present all of her backstories as conflicting and confusing yet seeming equally valid to her, and for someone that Rucka's positioned as the Goddess of Truth in the past, that's inherently disturbing. The only thing I can see that it utterly dropped was the "Amazons are child-murdering rapists" which... uh... anyone who isn't named Brian Azzarello would immediately have dropped anyway.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 8, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

greatn posted:

I know that, so it says something for how much of a douche Superman is that even knowing he's right and knowing Lex is up to some dirty poo poo Superman still comes across as a judgemental rear end in a top hat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Flash was fun, Action was great but the art was only so-so. Detective was also pretty enjoyable, WW was good but holy poo poo Aquaman was just so boring.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Flash was fun, Action was great but the art was only so-so.

I thought that the art on Flash was only kind of so-so and on Action it was great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I thought that the art on Flash was only kind of so-so and on Action it was great.

Flash was a bit sloppy. Action just looked kind of muddy to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait when were Jason Todd and Speedy sidekicks at the same time? Even in the compressed N52 timeline, wouldn't Jason have been some combination of dead or not yet Robin during that time?

EDIT: Why do I even care?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Endless Mike posted:

Wait when were Jason Todd and Speedy sidekicks at the same time? Even in the compressed N52 timeline, wouldn't Jason have been some combination of dead or not yet Robin during that time?

EDIT: Why do I even care?

Dr. Manhattan stole ten years from them, so, uh....LOOK OVER THERE!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What's funny about Speedy and Red Hood is that the last time anyone cared about those characters was when one was dead and the other was a junkie.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Madkal posted:

What's funny about Speedy and Red Hood is that the last time anyone cared about those characters was when one was dead and the other was a junkie.

Roy was fine until Final Crisis.

Jason Todd was great in Hush.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Mr Hootington posted:

Jason Todd was great in Hush.

You mean when he wasn't Jason Todd and was actually Clayface?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Alright. Having read WW Rebirth, I have to agree/maintain that the writing is super wordy and stilted. :j:"The truth matters. Or it doesn't. Does it? It should. Or maybe it shouldn't. Or it does. It did. Or did it? Maybe it never did.":j: It sets up a distinct, noir-investigation sort of tone, I suppose, but is still the sort of poo poo I would rag endlessly on any other writer for.

Aside from that aspect of the writing though, I loved basically every part of the story. A lot of these Rebirth storylines seems to hinge on the concept that there is this profound mystery that our heroes have to solve -- some heretofore unseen danger that the protagonists have to discover -- and I can't help but get pulled in by these hooks. Reestablishing Wonder Woman as a truth-seeker, whose very nature is emblematic against lies and confusion and yet has been assaulted by those very things, was a really cool way to present the central conflict of this story. The fact that "Boy, I sure have been rebooted a lot and it makes my life real confusing" is a central motif here kind of alleviates the inherent confusion of this being, well, another comparable reboot.

Sending Azzarello's terrible changes straight to the wood chipper would almost be just a bonus at this point, though I admit to loving how Rucka seems to be in-synch with my own notions and impressions of those changes...which makes sense I suppose, considering he's the one who instilled those notions and impressions within me in the first place. The intentional contrast he gave of Diana's old upbringing -- loved and nurtured by her many mothers -- versus her new upbringing -- shamed and ostracized by her disapproving sisters -- felt like it was lifted straight out of my brain. And I sure felt real gratified at Diana crushing the God of War helmet and her realization that the Olympus that has been appearing in these stories is not actually Olympus at all. The part where she goes "I think I am the god of war. Yet I think that cannot be true." is the only part of the narration I really enjoyed. Succinct. Fitting. A concise, if generalized, send-up of the core of what went wrong with Nu52 WW. I love how worn and pithy and insignificant that helmet looked. I love how easily she crumpled it, practically by accident, as if it -- the lies -- were nothing more than cardboard in her hands.

And yet, I don't think it's going to be as straightforward as it seems; there's some definite secret fuckery going on and more to the story than just "Everything in the last fifty issues is fake." What's going on with the fact that there are two completely different versions of Hippolyta, for instance? I do have some...theories...about how Rucka is going to go about this, but for I'm real content to see where we go from here.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The thing about Wonder Woman Rebirth is even in Azzarello's run Diana did not want to be the God of War, she was horrified by what the Amazons were doing, etc. Breaking Ares' helmet would not remotely be out of character for her even in the New 52 canon.

Azzarello's run also opened by revealing that everything Diana had been told about her past was a lie, which was just as much a slap in the face to the previous thirty years of storytelling as Rebirth was to the last five. So come on. Chill out, trust one of the best writers working in comics, and let him tell his story.

Detective Comics though, that book was everything I was hoping it would be. I can't wait.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tavarin posted:

You mean when he wasn't Jason Todd and was actually Clayface?

I stand by what I posted. :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Flash Rebirth was alright. It definitely reads like the DVD extras to DC Rebirth, but I don't see how it's a "clusterfuck." I've only had second-hand knowledge of Nu52 Flash and I followed everything here just fine...maybe because a lot of it seemed to be based off of the TV show storyline, admittedly.

Aquaman was...literally every single Aquaman storyline you've already read. There are scenes and dialogue in here that seem to be, like, carbon-copy clones of other Aquaman books. And screw you Mera, how can you not like chowder. :argh:

Agreed that Detective Comics was great. I love how Bruce probably had this massive dramatic reveal speech prepared for Kate and she's just like "lol finally." Tim needs a better name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Azzarello's run also opened by revealing that everything Diana had been told about her past was a lie, which was just as much a slap in the face to the previous thirty years of storytelling as Rebirth was to the last five. So come on. Chill out, trust one of the best writers working in comics, and let him tell his story.

"It's okay when it results in a run I like" is the central truth of the DC Universe. It is the one constant that survives the ever-changing multiverse.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

"It's okay when it results in a run I like" is the central truth of the DC Universe. It is the one constant that survives the ever-changing multiverse.

You gotta take good comics where you can find em. I did like Azz's run too, to be fair.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'm poorly read on basically all of DC, what was the big controversial thing about Azz's Wonder Woman that WW:Rebirth got rid of?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Abbreviatedly: that instead of being made from clay by her mother Hippolyta and given life by the gods, Diana is instead the birth daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus. That was the first major one that caused the most buzz, when it came out.

But the change that probably offended former Wonder Woman fans like myself the most was the "revelation" that the Amazons of Themyscira weren't actually enlightened, noble, peace-loving women, but that they secretly went out and raped and killed male sailors in order to give birth to new Amazons, and would have killed any of their sons if kindly god Hephaestus hadn't periodically bartered for them with his weapons. Basically setting up the Amazons as the stereotypical man-hating straw-feminazis that they were originally created to stand against.

Those were the two most significant ones, though Azzarello's run was more or less a long, drawn-out besmirching of Wonder Woman's former backstory, with many smaller changes meant to make her upbringing come across more oppressive and painful instead of loving and idyllic.

That being said
, WW: Rebirth hasn't gotten rid of any of it yet. So far it just establishes that Diana has contradicting memories about her past and that she has been somehow deceived about it, and at the end of the issue she discovers that the Olympus that's been appearing in the Nu52 isn't actually Olympus at all. We don't know yet what's actually going to end up being "true" by the end of the storyline.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, the whole point of Rebirth is that N52 stuff wasn't really the real timeline, so I think it's fair to say Azzarello's story will end up being false.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The only change that we can say is most likely happening at this point, is that Diana isn't the God of War, since if this Olympus isn't real then neither were the gods that bestowed her that title.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And people like the Azarello thing?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean, having read some summaries of Meredith Finch's run, it's not like DC hasn't already been quietly yet conspicuously salting the ground of Azzarello's stories. Apparently Zola's dead now? That's kind of a bummer.

greatn posted:

I found much of it overrated and unfocused, but I can see that Azzarello is, in general, a capable writer who crafts dark tones and intrigue very well. Half Tom King, half Ed Brubaker.

It's just that this story he told was wrong and disrespectful and should have been checked at the door. This whole "Diana's mother lied to her about her birth, her sisters are evil mankillers who hate her, and her mentor is Ares instead of Athena or Aphrodite" thing should have been an Elseworlds, and might even then come across tacky at best.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 9, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

greatn posted:

Yeah it was really good with great art.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

greatn posted:

I don't like all of the changes he made but the story is overall a really great read with incredible art the entire way through, yeah.

I look at it as an Elseworlds or Earth One story, as a self-contained, almost movie-like narrative, not so much as a blueprint for what the character should be like all the time. It's definitely a much more action-movie take on Wonder Woman. Batman 89 takes some wild liberties with its characters but it's one of my favorite versions of Batman. I might not want the comic books to all be about that guy, though. Same deal.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

After some thinking I decided not to get Aquaman, WW, or Wacky Racers. Will pick those up on a sale. I did pick Flash, Action, and Detective.

Action Comics was a great book. Lots happening here. A couple of good mysteries are set up. The art was good. I am enjoying the Kent Family dynamic. Will Luthor turn heel (I hope not)? Is that Doomsday? Who is Clark Kent? I am on board this book. Who would have though we would have two strong Superman books right off the bat?

Detective Comics was a great book. I am pumped after reading this. Did not know three of these characters were back and it is great to see them. I hope Azrael comes back. If not we have a good team anyway. Interested in the redemption of Clayface and I want this to stick. It would be a good bright spot in the usual darkness of Batman stories. Tim needs a new name and it is a little silly he needs MORE training. The art was also very good. This was a much better book than Batman: Rebirth.

First I want to say that Jason Pearson variant looks like rear end. The Flash was ok. Bit of a rehash of the main Rebirth issue and the art was spotty. I also found myself not caring about the mysteries that were set up. Oh look [spoilers] Zoom maybe murdered someone again!![/spoilers] Has the situation with the rogues been talked about yet? Are they still Metas?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 9, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Azz Wonder Woman run was really good and for a long while, maybe most of its run, I thought it was the best thing DC was publishing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

The Azz Wonder Woman run was really good and for a long while, maybe most of its run, I thought it was the best thing DC was publishing.

It didn't help that stuff like Superman and Batman have been on quality rollercoasters for most of the New 52 and WW didn't get lovely until the Finches took over, thirty five issues in. A consistently good thirty-five issue run in this day and age is nothing to sneeze at.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I quite liked The Flash. It was better than Batman at least for kicking off a new and interesting storyline. Detective Comics was quite fun too. Nothing beats a story where you bring the team together. I got a smile out of Clayface not having a Bat-Grapple.

How do you guys keep up with all of these books? I have a number of characters I want to keep up with and even that is like 50 million different books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

I quite liked The Flash. It was better than Batman at least for kicking off a new and interesting storyline. Detective Comics was quite fun too. Nothing beats a story where you bring the team together. I got a smile out of Clayface not having a Bat-Grapple.

How do you guys keep up with all of these books? I have a number of characters I want to keep up with and even that is like 50 million different books.

You either buy everything or make tough choices.