Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
She is doing all the work in this. I am the one here to make sure she survives the next 7 months without getting sick and/or going crazy. I cant be there every minute but when I am, I am her gofer, delivery service, and jack of all trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Sharks Below posted:

Dude, I cannot even describe how blindsided I was by the exhaustion. I have NEVER felt anything like it. Like, absolutely the closest I've come to passing out just from tiredness. Nap every day after work and sometimes at lunch time, and early bedtime. SO TIRED.

yeah, totally! I was like a slug for the first couple of months. It does get better, I am feeling almost normal now apart from having a belly :3:

That's a weird thing to get used to, pretty much all my life I've had a reasonably flat stomach (thanks to having a super-long torso) and now I have a belly and....it's fine :) I've also found I am wearing things I wouldn't normally wear- my body is not what I am used to at the moment so I am taking the opportunity to wear mad things, check out this awesome monstrosity I got from TK Maxx today (It was only £7 I liked it £7) I can't stop laughing at it.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I LOVED that about pregnancy - I've had body issues for a long time, and I was a bit worried about how growing uncontrollably would make me feel, but I adored my bump and loved feeling comfortable in tight-fitting clothes for the first time ever. And I'm more comfortable with my body now than I was before it proved itself awesome enough to grow the coolest little person I know :3:

Also I was mad exhausted the first trimester, but it passed and didn't return until the end of the pregnancy.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sockmuppet posted:

Also I was mad exhausted the first trimester, but it passed and didn't return until the end of the pregnancy.

Thank god. I've been sleeping 12-15 hours a day if I can and it's still not enough.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

the_chavi posted:

Thank god. I've been sleeping 12-15 hours a day if I can and it's still not enough.

I feel you sooooooo muuuuch.. Though in week 12 it is getting better! The heat seems to make it much worse.

For some reason now that I've gone public on fb I really *feel* pregnant today, lol. It might also be because I am getting a definite small bump instead of "is this bloat orrrr" (it's still partly bloat, but some is definitely bump now).

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Haha just wait till a few weeks down the line when it's the 'was that a kick or digestion?' phase. I've felt Rondlette moving around....but I don't think any actual kick type things.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
When I was pregnant, the tiredness got progressively worse as I went along but I just put it down to being pregnant, and having to walk around the very hilly university I was attending at the time. Around the half way mark I started getting very short of breath and a blood test revealed that I was anaemic and probably had been for quite some time. Apparently babies can really deplete your iron levels. Once I got treated for that, I felt a lot better. So that's just something to be mindful of, I guess :)

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'm 32 weeks and mine was head banging earlier. He's head down already so he was hitting my pubic area. Major ouch.

Hello from the other side of pregnancy were I just want to lay my head down on my desk at work and catch a few zzzs in the middle of the day. And sleep 10 hours (minus pee breaks) every night.

Something Positive
Jan 10, 2010

MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHERMOTHERMOTHER MOOOOTTTHHHEEERRRR
Spiffster's wife here. Very excited/trepidatious since this is our first pregnancy, but I'm getting real tired of this nausea bullshit.

jemsy
May 27, 2010

DOG EATS APPLE
:3:
The nausea and fatigue peaked around 8 weeks for me. I still get mild spells on occasion now, but it's more manageable. Before, I was literally nodding off on my desk at 3 pm every day.

Now I'm suddenly dealing with allergies. Or the pregnancy sniffles.

Really though, the unisom + B6 was doctor-approved, and it provided some much needed relief from the nausea.

I finally had my first appointment today at 10 weeks. They tried to listen for a heartbeat, but they made me give a urine sample first thing and I guess it's easier to pick up a fetal heartbeat if your bladder is full. Needless to say, the doctor couldn't find it.

Even though he didn't think it was necessary (because I have regular periods), I insisted on getting a dating ultrasound scheduled because I need some sort of affirmative confirmation that this pregnancy is viable beyond "your cervix looks good and your uterus feels around the right size!" So that's next week.

My mom is chomping at the bit to go public, even though this isn't her first grandchild AND she's already told most of our extended family anyways (with the caveat that we're not going public with the news yet). :rolleyes:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My mum was like that (her third grandchild too!) and told loads of people despite me asking her not to. 'It's my news mum' 'well it's my news too!!'

I love my mum but she can really miss the point sometimes.

Mmmm Pie
Jun 17, 2007
Me like pie
I told moms and siblings too early last year (I miscarried at 12 weeks) so this time around we just kept it to ourselves until I hit 12 weeks and made sure this one's alive. I'm 17 weeks now and I'm still nodding off at my desk >< I go nap on my second break of the day and that seems to help.

We have horses and the farmer dudes are baling hay. They've brought the first 8 or so tons over. I'm totes using kidlet as an excuse to be at the bottom of the hay elevator this year instead of stacking on the top of the pile :p

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I'm still really early like maybe 4 weeks? 6 by my LMP but that can't be right. I'm having a fair amount of cramping like I would before a period. Twinges and such. Is that normal for so early?

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
It's 4:30am on my due date.

I went to bed with a headache at 11. Woke up with the same headache. Now I'm getting semi regular contractions, about 4 minutes apart. I'm tentatively optimistic, though not all of my contractions hurt "enough".

I hope it isn't false labor again. This weekend I was having really painful contractions at regular intervals and took a couple of baths to ease the pain. I think I somehow managed to stop the labor with the baths, because everything sort of halted after the second one. That was pretty frustrating!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mmmm Pie posted:

I told moms and siblings too early last year (I miscarried at 12 weeks) so this time around we just kept it to ourselves until I hit 12 weeks

My mum did the same thing with my sister (told everyone and then my sister miscarried) so I was hoping she'd have learned from that but no. It was certainly a relief to get past those first couple of months and see the scan and know that it is So Far So Good.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Miranda posted:

I'm still really early like maybe 4 weeks? 6 by my LMP but that can't be right. I'm having a fair amount of cramping like I would before a period. Twinges and such. Is that normal for so early?

Totally. Even light spotting can be totally normal for 6 weeks GA. If you have a big frank bleed/prolonged bleeding it's worth having an ultrasound to see if it's a viable pregnancy-- at 6w a transvaginal ultrasound usually has good success at picking up embryonic heartbeats. Severe pain beyond normal period level cramps is always a good reason to go in to ED though. But it could be absolutely nothing to worry about still, growing uteruses and rising hormone levels do crazy things like round ligament pain and constipation.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

nyerf posted:

Totally. Even light spotting can be totally normal for 6 weeks GA. If you have a big frank bleed/prolonged bleeding it's worth having an ultrasound to see if it's a viable pregnancy-- at 6w a transvaginal ultrasound usually has good success at picking up embryonic heartbeats. Severe pain beyond normal period level cramps is always a good reason to go in to ED though. But it could be absolutely nothing to worry about still, growing uteruses and rising hormone levels do crazy things like round ligament pain and constipation.

Yeh I figured it was normal. Being a NICU nurse I know all the fun things that can go wrong whee! Don't see my doc til next Monday. And my back is hurting but that's normal for me. I was on pain management for it but I dunno what I'll be able to take if anything.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
You might be surprised. I was given the ok to take mercyndol forte (not sure what it's called outside of Australia but it's a prescription codeine and muscle relaxant mix) for migraine treatment.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

dopaMEAN posted:

It's 4:30am on my due date.

I went to bed with a headache at 11. Woke up with the same headache. Now I'm getting semi regular contractions, about 4 minutes apart. I'm tentatively optimistic, though not all of my contractions hurt "enough".

I hope it isn't false labor again. This weekend I was having really painful contractions at regular intervals and took a couple of baths to ease the pain. I think I somehow managed to stop the labor with the baths, because everything sort of halted after the second one. That was pretty frustrating!

Don't be too bummed if it is. I'm sitting at 41 + 2 and every twinge gets my hopes up, but so far the prodromal labor has been just that. Most first time mothers go over 41 weeks and due dates are basically made up. My best advice for all newly pregnant goons is to lie to your parents and friends about your due date and add 2 weeks to it, so you're not turning off your phone and not answering your door like me when you don't go into labor by your due date. If I get one more "Soooo, how are you doing?" or "Have you tried...?" text or call I might just stab someone.

Castor oil tomorrow! Yay!

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Eponymous Bosch posted:

Don't be too bummed if it is. I'm sitting at 41 + 2 and every twinge gets my hopes up, but so far the prodromal labor has been just that. Most first time mothers go over 41 weeks and due dates are basically made up. My best advice for all newly pregnant goons is to lie to your parents and friends about your due date and add 2 weeks to it, so you're not turning off your phone and not answering your door like me when you don't go into labor by your due date. If I get one more "Soooo, how are you doing?" or "Have you tried...?" text or call I might just stab someone.

Castor oil tomorrow! Yay!

Good luck!!!

After falling back asleep I awoke with just the headache, no more regular contractions. My body is trolling me.

How long have you had the prodromal labor? Has it been pretty constant, or does it frequently stop and restart?

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
I've had bouts of prodromal labor for 3 weeks. Some lasting 5 hours and others 1-2 hours with intense regular contractions and then suddenly they just go away. Now I've stopped timing them and basically ignore them. I figure I'll either be induced or walk into the hospital at like 8 cm after not believing anything was really happening.

I really wish the US didn't have a 42 week cut off, since it really ramps up the pressure to go into labor which doesn't help anything.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Eponymous Bosch posted:

I've had bouts of prodromal labor for 3 weeks. Some lasting 5 hours and others 1-2 hours with intense regular contractions and then suddenly they just go away. Now I've stopped timing them and basically ignore them. I figure I'll either be induced or walk into the hospital at like 8 cm after not believing anything was really happening.

I really wish the US didn't have a 42 week cut off, since it really ramps up the pressure to go into labor which doesn't help anything.

I'm at about 3 weeks since the start of this stuff too. But they didn't start hurting until this weekend.

I think what's really made this harder for me is that I've been measuring ahead and having false labor, so I just was sure that I would have her early or on time.

I'm going in for an appointment in a half hour. I'll see if he'll give me a membrane sweep I guess? And see if my cervix made it past 1cm!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My wife and I had our 36 week appointment yesterday.

Baby is breech and has been at every ultrasound.

So they scheduled a C-section for 39 weeks.
Unfortunately, my wife is also 3cm dilated already and the doctor told us very bluntly that we should not expect to make it to that C-section.
It is further complicated by the fact that she had a spinal fusion when she was a teenager, and that means most likely a c-section will lead to general anesthesia

Not looking for advice as there's nothing really to get. Just venting; I've taken full time telework from work indefinitely at this point, so we're ready to go at a moments notice. Less than ideal situation, but we'll manage.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Ahhh that's a real bummer Walked. I'm sorry. Sending "turn baby turn" vibes :(

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Miranda posted:

I've had way more cramping with my pregnancies than I ever did with any period, it's weird. I guess some uteruses just don't like stretching. In my experience, it let up around the end of the first trimester.

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005

Eponymous Bosch posted:

Now I've stopped timing them and basically ignore them. I figure I'll either be induced or walk into the hospital at like 8 cm after not believing anything was really happening.

I'm 36 weeks and I'm trying to make this my general philosophy for the next month.--just ignore it until I can't any more, or else I'm going to overthink every little thing!

Anyone else working right up until labor? There are all kinds of women on the WTE boards who are already off on leave and I just want to scream every time they write something about how they "took sooooo many naps today!" I know it's all rooted in jealousy that America's maternity leave policies suck (I don't have any paid maternity leave, which is why I have to save every day I have), but man their whining about how they had to take three naps in one day makes me want to scream when I'm getting up at 7 five days a week to sit in an uncomfortable office chair. I guess I should be glad I'm not on my feet, though. :sigh:

jemsy
May 27, 2010

DOG EATS APPLE
:3:

ucmallory posted:

I'm 36 weeks and I'm trying to make this my general philosophy for the next month.--just ignore it until I can't any more, or else I'm going to overthink every little thing!

Anyone else working right up until labor? There are all kinds of women on the WTE boards who are already off on leave and I just want to scream every time they write something about how they "took sooooo many naps today!" I know it's all rooted in jealousy that America's maternity leave policies suck (I don't have any paid maternity leave, which is why I have to save every day I have), but man their whining about how they had to take three naps in one day makes me want to scream when I'm getting up at 7 five days a week to sit in an uncomfortable office chair. I guess I should be glad I'm not on my feet, though. :sigh:

I'll be working right up until labor. Also, since the baby is due in early January, I have to keep in mind that only 8 vacation days rollover - which is better than my husband, who gets 0 rollover vacation days!

There's another pregnant woman in the same building as me with a standing desk. I have no idea how she does it.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I was set to work until my due date, but since it fell on a Tuesday work gave me the full week off to start my maternity leave. In retrospect I could've easily worked past my due date for that week (which would have put us at 40w3d) since bub didn't show until 9 days post dates! And my due date was as exact as it was going to get, we were tracking ovulation and scans matched exactly. Hell, if rostering wouldn't have been an issue I would have kept going until my waters broke since I work upstairs from the maternity ward. Mind you I work sitting mostly, with only minimal walking in between patients. I wasn't jogging up and down corridors by the end but I was still walking 2-3km in a day without any issues besides being slow and heavy. That's just me though, and pregnancy in general had been exceedingly kind to me compared to the endless litany of woes I've heard from like 90% of people I've talked to/come into contact with.

Next time (if there's a next time) I'm tempted to revise my due date at least a week over so I get maximum time with baby ex utero while I'm on maternity leave- knowing my luck then we probably would end up going even later :P Being at home waiting for baby sucked- I was bored out of my mind without anything to do.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
My plan is to work for as long as I can but I have no idea when it will become untenable. Being pregnant with twins, my OB started to pressure me to stop working after 24 weeks or to work part time from home. Even if I could afford to not be at work for that long 1) FMLA laws in the US only require your employer to hold your job for 90 days of leave and 2) I would be bored out of my loving MIND!! Her reasoning for my stopping working or cutting back was "stress." My job has been stressful in the past but things have been pretty quiet and easy this year. Besides getting up early in the morning I actually enjoy being at work. It makes time go by faster and makes me feel like I am doing something productive. I am not at all stressed at work right now. I'm sure once it's time to go back to work after maternity leave I will hate work and want to be at home.

I'm not allowed to exercise and even walking around the grocery store for more than 20 minutes starts to kill my back. If I'm not working I will be sitting at home doing nothing but eating and sleeping. I don't need any help in the weight department as my OB is already getting on me about that as well. I have a really nice ergonomic chair at work that is actually extremely comfortable even now.

So I won't be stopping work until I have an actual medical reason to do so or I get so big that I can't drive myself to work anymore. The last time I was measured my bump was 7 weeks ahead (I was 23 weeks and measured at 30 weeks for a single baby). All my ultrasounds have been normal and both baby girls are normal size. One was 1 lb 11 oz and the other 1 lb 8 oz at 24.5 weeks. I'm 26 weeks currently and haven't had anymore complications since the surgery.

I have my glucose test on Thursday so I'm praying that it goes well.

Besides the glucose test I have all kinds of worries about them being in the NICU. I think they will be spending some time there, even if only for a couple days of observation. But in the event that they're there for longer, what am I supposed to do to keep my milk from drying up? Would I just be pumping constantly and freezing it for later? How hard is it going to be for me to go see them right after having a c section if they spend a couple weeks in the NICU?

Also, I'm thinking of going to bottles before going back to work after maternity leave but still pumping while away. Is that feasible? I may even go to bottles right away just so that other people can feed them (ie so I won't be on 24/7 feeding duties for twins and my husband or mom can do it some nights for me). I'd be using as much breast milk as possible. Is that an ok plan?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

What do you mean? Nursing your baby and then pumping while at work at he/she gets bottles while you are working? That's a pretty common scenario..

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Oh, but if you want to establish and keep a milk supply you should be pumping every time they eat so if nursing for a while is your goal you still should be pumping when the babies eat overnight. Especially in the first several months.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

sheri posted:

Oh, but if you want to establish and keep a milk supply you should be pumping every time they eat so if nursing for a while is your goal you still should be pumping when the babies eat overnight. Especially in the first several months.

Pumps are also not nearly as effective as actual breastfeeding when it comes to the stimulation required to sustain your breast milk supply. Ideally, bottles shouldn't be introduced until breastfeeding is well-established (at least three to four weeks). Any NICU time can complicate that, but there are other feeding options (syringe, tube). I don't think it's a guarantee that twins will go to the NICU, though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Both of my kids drank both, it's fine and normal.
Pumping while #1 was in the NICU was hell. I also found a benign lump that interfered with the pump and lemme tell yall, the time I got a mammogram while lactating is probably a favorite story for the radiology staff to gross out noobs.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
I'm asking because I really have no idea what to expect. I'm not sure if I can produce enough milk for two babies to use breast milk exclusively to begin with. Only time will tell.

Since I had the TTTS surgery, my chances of preterm labor are much higher than a normal twin pregnancy. And a twin pregnancy is already at a higher risk to begin with. That is why I am thinking they may spend some time in the NICU. I just hope it only ends up being for a couple days of observation only.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Amaterasu posted:

I'm asking because I really have no idea what to expect. I'm not sure if I can produce enough milk for two babies to use breast milk exclusively to begin with. Only time will tell.

Since I had the TTTS surgery, my chances of preterm labor are much higher than a normal twin pregnancy. And a twin pregnancy is already at a higher risk to begin with. That is why I am thinking they may spend some time in the NICU. I just hope it only ends up being for a couple days of observation only.

If you are on FB I would search for a breastfeeding group and maybe a moms of twins group. There is usually some good information to be gleamed from there (and some crap).

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
One of the moms in the Facebook group was hospitalized for a large portion of her pregnancy, also had the TTTS surgery, her girls came early & were in NICU for awhile.

Her girls are thriving & she's been able to pump, nurse & bottle feed them. So it can be done, it just takes work.

In fact, you should join our Facebook group so you can get information from all our twin parents.

Go here & leave your email & one of the mods will add you.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/455100177924727/

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 9, 2016

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007
Oh hey! I logged in for the first time in like 4 years for you , ttts goon.
Had your mfm talked to you about how late they'll let you go? I was scheduled for 34 weeks, but only made it to 32+2. I'd had laser ablation at 23+3.

My girls were in NICU for 6 weeks and a day. The first two weeks of that were intensive care, the remaining 4 were "feeding and growing" as they say. This is a bit longer than typical for their gestation, they had trouble feeding. My donor was simply slow to learn, but my recipient was born with an unrelated birth defect (EA/TEF) and came home on a feeding tube. She finally got it out at 5 months of age.

As for milk. If you follow the pumping advise the NICU gives you (2 -3 hours during the day, no more than 6 at night), as well as eating and hydrating you'll be fine. I struggled with over supply for months, feeding both breast milk. But you CAN'T skimp on pumping in the early days and weeks. That's if they're too young to latch, which hopefully they won't be. If they're old enough to latch you'll be able to do a few feedings a day right away. My donor started trying at about 35 weeks and got the hang of it at 37.5 or so.

Are you on Facebook? I highly recommend the "ttts hope and connections" group.

Edit: out of curiosity, who did your ablation? How closely are you being followed now?

Edit again: I totally missed your other question. It was a few hours before I got to see them after my section. My husband went up with them right away. You should request a NICU tour so you aren't seeing it for the first time the day of. It can be a scary place if you don't know what to expect. Are you delivering at a hospital with a level 4 NICU?

Yoga fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 9, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My bff* was on hospital bedrest for twins, but went into labor before her scheduled c-section despite the iv anti-contraction medicine. The girls were kept in the NICU for about a month until they were both big enough to take home.

*We met in the hospital XD I lasted long enough to get the iv taken out (36 weeks) but my kid was born at 36+5 and spent a week in the NICU anyway.

So... I know it's frustrating to sit and wait, but listen to the doctor's advice.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen

Yoga posted:

Oh hey! I logged in for the first time in like 4 years for you , ttts goon.
Had your mfm talked to you about how late they'll let you go? I was scheduled for 34 weeks, but only made it to 32+2. I'd had laser ablation at 23+3.

Are you on Facebook? I highly recommend the "ttts hope and connections" group.

Edit: out of curiosity, who did your ablation? How closely are you being followed now?

Edit again: I totally missed your other question. It was a few hours before I got to see them after my section. My husband went up with them right away. You should request a NICU tour so you aren't seeing it for the first time the day of. It can be a scary place if you don't know what to expect. Are you delivering at a hospital with a level 4 NICU?

I applied to join both FB groups. Thanks for the heads up.

My ablation was more risky than normal as mine was done at 16+3. They found it on the very first ultrasound done by the fetal specialist at 16 weeks. It was done by The Fetal Center at Children's Memorial Hermann.

My regular OB is handling the delivery aspect but she is in close contact with the MFM and my other fetal specialist doctor. I think they want me to go as long as possible (37 weeks) but I was planning on asking my OB at my appointment today at what point they're actually going to schedule me. I've been having an ultrasound with the fetal specialist every other week (was every week for first 6 after surgery and will go back to weekly in another month).

The NICU at my delivery hospital is a level 3. We're doing a hospital tour this Saturday.

What I'm trying to figure out regarding the c-section vs NICU is, if I get discharged before they do, I assume it's going to be very difficult for me to go to and from the hospital to see them frequently when I may need help just to get up to use the bathroom. Maybe this is a silly thing to worry about but the more I read about NICU in detail the more it freaks me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well, this is it. My wife had high blood pressure the past two days, so her OB sent her to the hospital. When we were there, the blood pressure calmed down, but the doctor didn't like the low movement of our daughter. So since she was 39 weeks and 5 days, they admitted her and are inducing. They had her on Cervadil all night, and will be giving her Pitocin (sp?) soon. But it looks like we're meeting our daughter today!