Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
x-posting from the pizza thread

I made a pizza video featuring my sourdough Margherita - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IO0x35ONcg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Is this a sponsored post?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is this a sponsored post?

I'm just a pizza obsessed dude. Not selling anything, just show some good eats!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ogopogo posted:

I'm just a pizza obsessed dude. Not selling anything, just show some good eats!

It does look good and your production is great. Just the title of the video is the name of the pizza oven, which we see quite a bit, whole lot of effort to make a video to post on SA, etc.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It does look good and your production is great. Just the title of the video is the name of the pizza oven, which we see quite a bit, whole lot of effort to make a video to post on SA, etc.

Totally fair! I've spent 8 years working on my pizza, and have gone through 5 iterations of oven - this Pizza Party is just a rad oven for the money, I'm very proud of it :) You can see my post history in this thread alone - I've come a long way in my pizza and ovens!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
That's a drat nice looking pizza.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Ribeye and aspergers for dinner last night. 130°F sous vide and finished on the Baking Steel.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bob_McBob posted:

Ribeye and aspergers for dinner last night. 130°F sous vide and finished on the Baking Steel.

lol and also looks good

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bob_McBob posted:

:drat:, I need a baking steel.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Does this do anything that a cast iron pan doesn't?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Does this do anything that a cast iron pan doesn't?

Yes it makes the neighbours jealous as gently caress

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate chillies are finally ripe, so I picked a few and made garlic & chilli butter, which I then used to baste my 600g ribeye :D. Delicious and radioactive... Sorry for the poor quality phone pics but I was drinking heavily and watching my football team lose so I'm shocked that I remembered to take any photos at all.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

iajanus posted:

My Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate chillies are finally ripe, so I picked a few and made garlic & chilli butter, which I then used to baste my 600g ribeye :D. Delicious and radioactive... Sorry for the poor quality phone pics but I was drinking heavily and watching my football team lose so I'm shocked that I remembered to take any photos at all.

Those look like Satan's testicles. Looks tasty as gently caress though.

Last pizza cook in the desert for a couple weeks.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Made kebabs

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Salmon with dill and a quinoa cucumber salad dressed with a lemon vinaigrette. My wife made this on Saturday night and I absolutely demolished it.

I tried pressure cooking a chicken. It worked SUPER well, but took almost twice as long as the "5 minutes per pound" rule I ran into everywhere when I was investigating it. The skin was a lost cause but it's okay since I was just planning to pick it apart anyway.

Here's a bowl of stock that came out of the pressure cooker. It came to about a quart and once chilled, had a nice half inch of schmaltz on top. What should I use both the schmaltz and the stock for?

I know it's not pretty but this was my first attempt at shakshuka and it came out loving dynamite. I'll need to cook the eggs a bit less next time so the yolks are runnier, but it was so good that I couldn't stop shoveling it into my face while burning hot...so much so that it had me sweating (along with the extra serrano I threw in there).

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

I made some elderflower syrup! It was surprisingly easy, I just soaked fistful of flowers in some water for a day and got about 500 ml of deliciously potent flower syrup. I'm gonna gather a good bag and make a huge bottle or two, plus maybe try my hand at elderflower liqueur. Elderflower everything, they're weeds anyway :neckbeard:

Sweet potato, carrot and pea samosas plus spicy peach and ginger chutney.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Kind of terrible mobile photo (and not best plated because of that), while my main camera is being borrowed by a friend for a few days, but I've been on a seafood kick recently - especially while working lates, as it's pretty quick to prepare and cook.

Grilled prawns on a bed of shredded carrot and cucumber, crispy fried noodles, miso-soy sauce, garnished with chilli, coriander, and spring onion.

The day before I did prosciutto-wrapped cod served on mixed bean salad with paprika-flavoured couscous and baby tomatoes (tomkin variety), but apparently the photo didn't save. Welp.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 8, 2016

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Made Ramen (spicy pork) for the first time yesterday.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Raikiri posted:

That looks good. How did it taste?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I'm still sweating, but really good.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I made home made french fries. Thin cut, w/ a brine solution of water, 1 part salt, 2 parts sugar. Next time will make it 1-1 so the sweetness is balanced out. Twice fried, turned out real tasty and the color was lovely. Sorry for crappy phone pics.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

How much potatoes, how much water, and how long did you brine them for? They were sliced already I presume?

I've done fries before but I can never get them to the restaurant shoestring quality I want. Did you parboil? What kind of oil?

I fuckin love French fries and I want to make them good!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Roasted eggplant and whole wheat angel hair pasta with romesco sauce and crumbled local feta.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How much potatoes, how much water, and how long did you brine them for? They were sliced already I presume?

I've done fries before but I can never get them to the restaurant shoestring quality I want. Did you parboil? What kind of oil?

These potatoes were kinda small, so I used about 5 or 6 of them. They were in the brine for about 12-15 minutes, not very long at all and yes, they were added in when sliced.

I can't say I was going for restaurant shoestring quality because that would involve other time consuming steps (such as freezing; overnight in the freezer really changes the texture of fries) and also, I was not following a recipe. No parboiling was done and in this instance, I used a mixture of olive and canola oil because I was at a friend's place and they didn't have enough of the latter. I would personally just use all canola or vegetable oil because your fries won't be as oily and it heats up faster.

For the first fry, I cooked it for about 7-10 minutes on high before taking it out and letting them cool on a tray. Then put it back in the oil, fry for another 5-7 minutes medium high until you get a nice golden brown (the sugar brine helps bring a caramel colored coat as well as bring out the sweetness of the potato). The end result were golden fries with a crisp outer coating and creamy interior. Like I mentioned, a little on the sweet side, so less sugar in the brine is ideal for me because I wanna aim for savory fries.

Oh yeah, and the potatoes were russet.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 9, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If you are very interested in fries, you should try Heston blumenthal's thrice-cooked fries. It's fussy and takes forever but the fries are legit remarkable.

https://youtu.be/MCB9jIpNGzY

E: on looking again at the last link I posted, the recipe was incomplete. See this vid for the real deal and start at 1:50 if you're in a rush

https://youtu.be/F-VsLRVemzk

Sorry bout my lazy sourcery

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 9, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

emotive posted:

Roasted eggplant and whole wheat angel hair pasta with romesco sauce and crumbled local feta.

That looks like a perfect hearty and satisfying weeknight meal. Great job!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Last night we made macarons and I'm really happy with how they came out.

Also I am a child.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

overdesigned posted:

Last night we made macarons and I'm really happy with how they came out.

Also I am a child.

Is this your website? http://macarons-and-dick.tumblr.com/

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Raikiri posted:

I would appreciate a recipe because that looks brilliant.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Nazareth posted:

I would appreciate a recipe because that looks brilliant.

This is approx, as I eyeballed it completely

Ingredients:

1 clove garlic
0.5" ginger
2x birds eye chillis
1 tea spoon sesame oil
2 spring onions
half a carrot
120g pork loin
1 egg
sesame seeds
sriracha
veg stock
dried egg noodles (medium)

Medium hard boil egg for 7-8min then cool in cold water.

Slice spring onions and carrot, and one chilli.

Finely dice 1 chilli, garlic and ginger. Fry at a low heat in sesame oil for a few minutes.

Add veg stock cube, 3-400ml water and some sriracha to the ginger/garlic/chilli and simmer for 9-10 minutes. Then put the noodles in (6 mins).

As the broth is simmering put pork loin under the grill for 3-4 mins each side, rest in tin foil. Put the noodles/broth in a bowl, remove shell from the egg, add the carrot, spring onion, chilli and egg. Thinly slice the pork loin and add that, then top with a little more sriracha and a few sesame seeds.

Struggle with chopsticks.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Raikiri posted:

That food looks real good, and also, do those chopsticks have little grippy ridges? Where can I get chopsticks with little grippy ridges? The very concept of chopsticks having little grippy ridges is really blowing my mind.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-5-Pairs-Natural-Bamboo-Painted-Chopsticks-Reusable-/201300350313?hash=item2ede6f9569:g:trMAAOSwe-FU5yMi

I believe these are the ones I have, they do have little grippy ridges... not that it makes me any less useless with chopsticks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A huge majority of chopsticks you buy that are actually proper chopsticks will have some kind of indentation or something at the end ostensibly for grip on the food.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

A huge majority of chopsticks you buy that are actually proper chopsticks will have some kind of indentation or something at the end ostensibly for grip on the food.

No...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The tips that are roughened and vaguely sandpaper like are a lot better than the tips that have ridges cut into them. Seems like a lot of internet sellers don't care about showing the tips of the chopsticks, though. Best way is if you can browse a good Japanese store like Uwajimaya.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I suppose I can only speak to the ones I saw in my area (HK Chinese mainly) while shopping for chopsticks. The only ones IIRC that didn't have indents were the ones less than $15.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I suppose I can only speak to the ones I saw in my area (HK Chinese mainly) while shopping for chopsticks. The only ones IIRC that didn't have indents were the ones less than $15.

That doesn't make them any less 'proper chopsticks' just cause they're cheap hahaha. Most of the time when I see the indented ones, they're used for cooking tbh. I've never seen a family use the indented ones mostly because everyone just buys the huge packs of cheap ones that have pretty nice slick comfortable wood.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

taqueso posted:

The tips that are roughened and vaguely sandpaper like are a lot better than the tips that have ridges cut into them. Seems like a lot of internet sellers don't care about showing the tips of the chopsticks, though. Best way is if you can browse a good Japanese store like Uwajimaya.

I bought some of these, and HATE them. The grittiness is extremely off-putting should they come in direct contact with your teeth.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Burged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Tonight was an experiment. Chilean sea bass cooked sous vide in duck fat on top of quinoa with parmigiano reggiano topped with a spicy chimichurri. The "scales" are thinly sliced zucchini blanced in salt water with a few drops of fish oil. It was pretty drat good for a first attempt.

• Locked thread