Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, RoR is getting more and more rare. Like I payed around $60 on Amazon for a copy complete with original box and manual several years ago but now it tends to run triple that amount. I don't why Sony just doesn't put it on PSN because they actually own the rights to the game.

They probably don't know it exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster posted:

They probably don't know it exists
Chulip has been on PSN for years now so its not like they don't know Punchline didn't exist.

Though maybe the rights are tied up with Atlus? They were the ones who localized it in America.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 7, 2016

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

The really weird and pretty janky horror game Escape from Bug Island is another I remember that did a neat idea like this too.

"Ray will encounter some other characters through the first half of the game; however, after a visit to the Cave of Time, you will repeat the game in an attempt to prevent some of the character's demise."

Not quite. Bug Island uses it as a story piece that's explained, Escape from Dead Island doesn't. The ending happens, Cliff sends off the crate, it floats through the sea throughout the credit sequence. 6 months later, the crate floats past the yacht that Cliff and friends started on...and are on again, replaying the intro conversation, leading directly into New Game +.

I should add this could all be a hallucination because it makes about as much sense with that explanation too.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I actually bought a PS4 half for Until Dawn. I'm only an hour in and i'm excited

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

voltcatfish posted:

I actually bought a PS4 half for Until Dawn. I'm only an hour in and i'm excited
Woooooo, it's a fun, good game. Enjoy :D

I couldn't play it at night because it would make me too excited/full of adrenaline and I wouldn't be able to sleep. :ohdear:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Niggurath posted:

Anything that actually has the Dead Island name on it is super bad, such as that MOBA they did.
Actually it was "the world's first ZOMBA", thank you very much.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

voltcatfish posted:

It's really good :)

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Yardbomb posted:

The really weird and pretty janky horror game Escape from Bug Island is another I remember that did a neat idea like this too.

"Ray will encounter some other characters through the first half of the game; however, after a visit to the Cave of Time, you will repeat the game in an attempt to prevent some of the character's demise."
I'd argue that that makes a lot more sense. The Dead Island one sounds like the end of Triangle

I liked how Max Payne 2 let you save Max's love interest / female counterpart, Mona, if you beat it on the hardest setting, which was really, really hard. Shame that didn't count for Max Payne 3.

al-azad posted:

This reminds me of Breakdown. Everyone with an Xbox should play Breakdown. I don't know if it's backwards compatible with the 360 but I hope it is.
It's one of the two or three Xbox exclusives that I think people will really miss out on / are really missing out on by not having an OG Xbox emulator. I wish Namco would quietly release it to Steam or GOG.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Sakurazuka posted:

a Clock Tower spin off that's much better than the awful CT3.

alysssssssssssssssssssa

exploding mummy posted:

The PS3 Siren is basically a remake of the first Forbidden Siren, but it isn't a compilation and it deviates quite a bit from the original in casting. (Most of the cast is no longer Japanese and is replaced by Americans) It's also more Western horror themed, so it's a bit more action packed then the original.

I did not know this!

I enjoyed it though, it was very nervewracking the first playthrough, especially the small-town/hospital areas

the ending was super dumb though

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I really loved the PS3 Siren, I thought it was a really cool game and the approach of constantly switching between characters/narratives was great. It was a really beautiful game too, some really unsettling and weird moments. The monster design is great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first two Siren games had this weird non-linear structure which I liked and was sadly missing from Blood Curse. Each scenario had like an alternate way of solving it that would effect the timeline and change later ones and you could kind of jump backwards and forwards at will.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

voltcatfish posted:

Whatever you do, don't look up spoilers. It's tempting, but don't.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I beat Until Dawn

As for my end game stats, everybody lived but jessica, matt, and josh. 5/8 isn't so bad, especially since I found out that everybody actually can die

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's pretty hard to get everyone killed but I did it for the platinum

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I made it out with everyone except Ashley, which was my own stupid fault for not following my own logic.

Fun fact: Mike and Sam can't die until the very last scene. Despite all the danger everyone gets into, I think Matt is the only character who can die pre-wendigo reveal. You can actually go the whole game with nobody dying except for one stupid jock who falls off a cliff because of some deer.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nah, it may have been because I massively hosed up but Jessica died really quick, first, in like chapter 3 or around there

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

voltcatfish posted:

Nah, it may have been because I massively hosed up but Jessica died really quick, first, in like chapter 3 or around there

Yeah, if you're slow as hell while chasing Jess she dies first.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Speaking of Until Dawn, I bought a replacement case online and excitedly opened the package only to realize I already have a case... does anyone want a case?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

chitoryu12 posted:

I made it out with everyone except Ashley, which was my own stupid fault for not following my own logic.

Fun fact: Mike and Sam can't die until the very last scene. Despite all the danger everyone gets into, I think Matt is the only character who can die pre-wendigo reveal. You can actually go the whole game with nobody dying except for one stupid jock who falls off a cliff because of some deer.

I can't remember the character names, can't the annoying Asian bitch die before the reveal as well? She gets chased by -something- but it wasn't really shown iirc

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I can't remember the character names, can't the annoying Asian bitch die before the reveal as well? She gets chased by -something- but it wasn't really shown iirc

If she fails the chase sequence the wendigo is visible and kills her.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

VoidBurger posted:

Woooooo, it's a fun, good game. Enjoy :D

I couldn't play it at night because it would make me too excited/full of adrenaline and I wouldn't be able to sleep. :ohdear:

Heh heh...yeah. I can see that. Some of its early jumpscares are cheap when the kids are jumping out at each other, other times the tension is genuine.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Speedball posted:

Heh heh...yeah. I can see that. Some of its early jumpscares are cheap when the kids are jumping out at each other, other times the tension is genuine.

That goddamn hallway with Ashley...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rafza posted:

I did not know this!

I enjoyed it though, it was very nervewracking the first playthrough, especially the small-town/hospital areas

the ending was super dumb though

They generally keep the same plot beats though, even if they condense some characters. For example, Melissa is basically 3 characters condensed into 1.

Periodiko posted:

I really loved the PS3 Siren, I thought it was a really cool game and the approach of constantly switching between characters/narratives was great. It was a really beautiful game too, some really unsettling and weird moments. The monster design is great.

You'd probably like the other games, though they're less forgiving in terns of combat.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Honestly other than the difficulty I remember the British accent of the student girl in the original wasn't the classy kind.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Honestly other than the difficulty I remember the British accent of the student girl in the original wasn't the classy kind.

That reminds me that I totally love how the first 2 games skimped out on English voice acting, so everyone has British accents because they did the PAL versions first (and then never released the 2nd game in the US)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dead island's teaser compared to the actual game still makes me lol to this day.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dead Island is the first and only game that I was legitimately upset about finishing. Good lord what a terrible unredeemable game from start to finish.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

exploding mummy posted:

That reminds me that I totally love how the first 2 games skimped out on English voice acting, so everyone has British accents because they did the PAL versions first (and then never released the 2nd game in the US)

Professaaaahhh

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I'm still partway through Forbidden Siren 2 but it's a mixture between disturbing and frustrating. I think every mission I had available I couldn't complete ( I remember a security guard and a school girl in a prison with no lights and an enemy tracking you) so I shelved it. I did see a video with some of the later monsters and christ are they horrible :stare:

I really suck at stealth games so that's probably making a difficult game even worse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't remember any missions in Siren 2 being that bad (although there's one amusing one where you have to take out a sniper moribito using the sniper character by sneaking into the building he's on and attacking him up close from behind :v: ), but man if you think those are bad look at some vids (or play) the first one, it gives you next to no guidance at all.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Groovelord Neato posted:

dead island's teaser compared to the actual game still makes me lol to this day.

I wish I could do anything other than just sigh remembering it now, gently caress sake Deep Silver/Techland.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Techland made Dying Light so I can forgive them.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Friends and I had a great time playing the first Dead Island, but it is not a horror game, it's a fun exploration action game with RPG elements. I really don't know what people were expecting, but I got what I was expecting and it was fun times with glowing, flaming machetes and electric sledgehammers.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 10, 2016

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I mean playing it solo is tense as hell, if I put myself in the world. I thought it was alright. Now the "feminist whore" label the devs used for Perna in the code was just :allears:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

^^^ :doh:

Danaru posted:

Dead Island is the first and only game that I was legitimately upset about finishing. Good lord what a terrible unredeemable game from start to finish.

Wasn't this the series that tried to offer a decapitated, bloody, bikini-clad torso statue as part of a collector's edition?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 10, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Friends and I had a great time playing the first Dead Island, but it is not a horror game, it's a fun exploration action game with RPG elements. I really don't know what people were expecting, but I got what I was expecting and it was fun times with glowing, flaming machetes and electric sledgehammers.

Dead Island was alright as first person Diablo but coming from that trailer it's safe to say people expected walking dead and not Borderlands.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Wasn't this the series that tried to offer a decapitated, bloody, bikini-clad torso statue as part of a collector's edition?

Yep, as "zombie bait". Not to mention the first game had almost every woman character in the game have rape involved in their storyline in one way or another.

Techland is awful.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Danaru posted:

Yep, as "zombie bait". Not to mention the first game had almost every woman character in the game have rape involved in their storyline in one way or another.

Techland is awful.

Like I said, they used 'feminist whore' internally to describe a main character. Bastions of modernity I tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danaru posted:

Techland is awful.

The statue was actually Deep Silver and they are also awful.