Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My company wants to reduce my title and salary because "our team is too expensive for the value they provide." I only took this job over other offers because of how much they were going to pay me. I have zero passion for the domain problems they address.

I'm ready to jump ship already because this place is a mess but I've only been here since February and don't know how that will look on my CV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

My company wants to reduce my title and salary because "our team is too expensive for the value they provide." I only took this job over other offers because of how much they were going to pay me. I have zero passion for the domain problems they address.

I'm ready to jump ship already because this place is a mess but I've only been here since February and don't know how that will look on my CV

A single short employment period can be explained as a poor fit. It's when you get several of them strung together that potential employers start thinking you're a jobhopper. That said, you will definitely be required to explain why you didn't stay with that job.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

Get out.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Sever

But yeah one blip that you can explain (more or less say what you said here except the whole "I took this job for money but don't care about it") shouldn't sink you with anyone you'd actually want to work for anyway

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 7, 2016

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod
Interesting situation for me.

I worked as a software engineer for 8 years out of undergrad (most recently, VP/Senior level software engineer at a leading investment bank in NYC) and quit after doing a part-time MBA to do a stint as an investment banking associate, started almost a year ago.

What a horrible, horrible mistake. I know that a lot of software developers think they want to be investment bankers, but take it from me (without going into too much detail), you only think you want it...in actuality, I'm assuming 95+% of the people do not actually want it. I've given my resignation and am actively trying to get back into software. Going back to my old job...might be a possibility, but not yet sure. What I'm finding is that, with my current CV, I'm not getting much traction just sending out resumes/applying to jobs, and I'm not sure if it's because I have this year of doing i-banking as opposed to engineering? I've tried to minimize the past year on my resume by only giving it 2 bullets, is this a mistake?

I've been applying to all types of jobs for senior software engineers, with anywhere from 4-8 years of experience (as I said, I have a little bit over 8 years of experience). I have all the latest Java skills, new javascript frameworks, database, etc. I worked at a name-brand bank as a developer, and a different name-brand bank as an investment banker. Was actually surprised at how little traction I'm getting, as when I used to apply with said name brand bank, I'd almost always get responses. Any thoughts?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

No Safe Word posted:

Sever

But yeah one blip that you can explain (more or less say what you said here except the whole "I took this job for money but don't care about it") shouldn't sink you with anyone you'd actually want to work for anyway
Honestly, not that you should go out of your way to say it, but "I took this job for money" is fine at certain salary levels. Like, "I'm a thirty-year-old who would like to own a home with more than one bedroom in it and my last job wasn't cutting it" is perfectly acceptable. It's when you get to stuff like "I'm doing fine, but I really thought someone with my pedigree deserves a Maserati" range that you're getting yourself into trouble. Everyone knows this to 100% be the case hiring anyone with past jobs in certain industries like finance anyway.

e: funny timing, Don Wrigley

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Don Wrigley posted:

I worked as a software engineer for 8 years out of undergrad (most recently, VP/Senior level software engineer at a leading investment bank in NYC) and quit after doing a part-time MBA to do a stint as an investment banking associate, started almost a year ago.

What a horrible, horrible mistake. I know that a lot of software developers think they want to be investment bankers, but take it from me (without going into too much detail), you only think you want it...in actuality, I'm assuming 95+% of the people do not actually want it. I've given my resignation and am actively trying to get back into software. Going back to my old job...might be a possibility, but not yet sure. What I'm finding is that, with my current CV, I'm not getting much traction just sending out resumes/applying to jobs, and I'm not sure if it's because I have this year of doing i-banking as opposed to engineering? I've tried to minimize the past year on my resume by only giving it 2 bullets, is this a mistake?

I've been applying to all types of jobs for senior software engineers, with anywhere from 4-8 years of experience (as I said, I have a little bit over 8 years of experience). I have all the latest Java skills, new javascript frameworks, database, etc. I worked at a name-brand bank as a developer, and a different name-brand bank as an investment banker. Was actually surprised at how little traction I'm getting, as when I used to apply with said name brand bank, I'd almost always get responses. Any thoughts?
Post it in the BFC resume and interview thread.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Don Wrigley posted:

What exactly makes you hate iBanking? Is it worse then programming for an advertising firm or other non-finance industry? And did you look into Quant work?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

Here's how the conversation would go:

Interviewer: "Why did you leave that job after 4 months?"

You: "They cut my salary because they decided that the team I was on was too expensive."

Interviewer: "Yeah, that's a pretty good reason to leave."

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Analytic Engine posted:

What exactly makes you hate iBanking? Is it worse then programming for an advertising firm or other non-finance industry? And did you look into Quant work?

I've resigned and it's over so maybe not worth pontificating too much, but basically it's horribly boring work. Your work as an investment banker boils down to reading through stacks and stacks of company filings/research trying to either find a number, a proxy for that number, or making up some way of coming to that number. Not very intellectually stimulating, but still a massive time drain. It's not the hours per se, but doing boring work that's not intellectually stimulating for an average of 80-90 hours a week weighs on you, fast. In addition to this, the senior people you work for are people who have done this and enjoyed it (the 5% of investment bankers that stick around to make VP) and have an expectation that you love doing it as well; really, really hard to work with people like this. Lastly, incredibly hostile environment; horrible culture. You have zero autonomy, everybody is stressed out (and frightened; either of the client, or their superior) literally all the time. Again, not the hours per se, but given the nature of an expectation of 24/7 coverage, this type of environment weighs on you, fast.

Happy to discuss this in detail with someone looking to get into investment banking--but I think that gives a general idea. With software engineering, even when I was a fresh-faced 22 year old, I felt I had autonomy, my opinions mattered, and I was doing work that required intellectual stamina rather than just straight putting up with crap for my entire life. Is it better working in a non-finance programming role? This is only hearsay of course, because I've only worked at finance companies, but from the experiences of colleagues, yes, investment banking is much worse than engineering in a non-finance setting. As for quant work--I have looked into it, and in fact looked at it pretty closely shortly after I made VP at my old firm, but found it difficult to break in given the education requirements (I used to work with quants a lot, and math/physics/stats PhDs seemed to be the norm, I just don't have that training).

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

A MIRACLE posted:

Also want to add that employee compensation is like the single most predictable expense when you're running a business. So either they are so bad at running a business they can't figure basic arithmetic, or their revenue just went dramatically in the toilet recently. Neither of these scenarios are ones you want to stick around for.

Get out now.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've had plenty of crappy jobs with terrible culture and bad work environment outside banking and for mediocre salaries for even a programmer or software engineer (go work in any company's cost center, I dare you). On the other hand, one of the lowest job satisfaction ratings comes from investment bankers roughly in the 14% range normally.

Quant work is possible to get into with just a bachelor's but you'd need to have some supporting evidence of really liking math for obvious reasons. But I haven't heard of a person getting into quant work with a non-math background at a no-name university with mediocre GPA like I have with much of software engineering.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

necrobobsledder posted:

I've had plenty of crappy jobs with terrible culture and bad work environment outside banking and for mediocre salaries for even a programmer or software engineer (go work in any company's cost center, I dare you). On the other hand, one of the lowest job satisfaction ratings comes from investment bankers roughly in the 14% range normally.

Quant work is possible to get into with just a bachelor's but you'd need to have some supporting evidence of really liking math for obvious reasons. But I haven't heard of a person getting into quant work with a non-math background at a no-name university with mediocre GPA like I have with much of software engineering.

I worked in cost centers, exclusively, for almost a decade before joining investment banking. Some good culture, some bad, but anything paled in comparison to the toxic culture of investment banking. This is certainly different from person to person, but I'd say of the incoming analysts/associates at my bank this year, this was the consensus of 9 out of every 10 people you asked. The analysts stick it out because otherwise they'll lose their PE jobs, the associates stick it out because otherwise they'll go bankrupt (student loans, which as a part-time student, I didn't have) but there's a reason investment banking has the attrition rates it does--and it's not because people can't hack the work.

While I don't mention it anymore because it's a decade ago and nobody I've interviewed with in the past 5 years has cared, I went to a brand name university with 3.7+ GPA (both undergrad/CompSci and MBA). Still, I tried internal mobility a couple times into a quant role, but was unable to make the connection. Not sure it's right for me anyway--as to be honest, I don't think I have that interest in math. I'd be quite happy sticking with software engineering; and have just found it curious that I haven't been getting traction with applications, as I've gotten all of my last 3 jobs this way, all without too much effort.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Does your resume have the MBA on it?

Personally, I'd minimize things that don't apply to software (MBA, tasks at bank) as much as possible or leave them off entirely. My personal anecdote is when I worked as a Sr. Dev/Architect at a finance F500, I had the role of Vice President (as does everyone that isn't a scrub.) This caused issues with my resume at most development shops. Changing that title to Sr. Dev fixed all that.

Maybe hiring managers are worried about your top-school MBA, because they assume you'd eventually be gunning for their job.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

necrobobsledder posted:

getting literally million dollar checks every other year for doing some presentations and helping align customer needs with a product roadmap like some guys I know is basically the end game for senior sales guys. Many make much more than the CEO of their companies, especially smaller ones. The painful reality of sales in software is that the worse the product, the likely it is that your checks will be higher (SAP sales guys regularly bring in $900k+ / yr I've heard).

How do I go from being a software engineer at LinkedFaceGooberZon to a sales job like this?

Alternatively, my girlfriend works in sales in a different industry- how can she find one of these jobs?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Google has enterprise sales engineers around DC that primarily work with defense customers (I'm mostly familiar with the Google Earth side and licensing search as an integrator). But most of the big software companies aren't quite as sales culture heavy to throw engineers under the bus constantly to pay sales so much, and that's where companies like IBM, HP (don't go there, they've lost almost all good SEs because of the changes to commissions years ago), and dinosaurs like CA (a guy I know was making $280k / yr basically giving a demo once a month and learning whatever product he wanted to learn). There's also Salesforce and Service Now for slightly better engineering that is also sales culture oriented. Also, Pivotal software is pretty awesome as an engineer but still on the mediocre end for sales comp because they are still innovating instead of squeezing value from a dead rock.

Look for enterprise centric companies specifically, not even b2b. But still, the guys I know with the $1MM+ comps are making nothing compared to their F100 executives and almost all of them were well over 40 and have relationships from being around that industry. Bay Area people are in a different ecosystem with VCs attracting a lot more people than sales, although it was easy for me to find startups needing SE type roles. However, if you're used to top engineer pay in the $170k+ range the $150k pay for a lot less technically challenging roles can be a downer. Beats going down to $80k+ like for those same companies as a software engineer, but sales engineering is an easy job for 40-something former engineers to do IMO and gets pretty decent job satisfaction at least.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

sales engineering is an easy job for 40-something former engineers to do IMO and gets pretty decent job satisfaction at least.

This is pretty much my plan. I don't totally buy in to the ageism complaints about only hiring young developers, but there's little doubt that many companies will pass over 40+, and especially 50+ developers. Even they hire you, will it be like Disrupted where you feel like grandpa watching the grandkids. That really only leaves some boring management position (with mediocre pay) or the sales side.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Has anyone dealt with serious burnout? I've been out of work for a couple months already but I still can't even look at code without cringing. I can sorta remember what I enjoyed about it in the first place but it burns to even think about it still. And needless to say the thought of getting another job right away is downright excruciating, even though I can probably only go a few more months without one. Did anyone here completely burn out and then eventually find a way to enjoy work again? What did you do?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

HondaCivet posted:

Has anyone dealt with serious burnout? I've been out of work for a couple months already but I still can't even look at code without cringing. I can sorta remember what I enjoyed about it in the first place but it burns to even think about it still. And needless to say the thought of getting another job right away is downright excruciating, even though I can probably only go a few more months without one. Did anyone here completely burn out and then eventually find a way to enjoy work again? What did you do?

Yes. I moved back to Tennessee to start a music studio. Hanging out with a quasi homeless transient musician crowd will give you ambition again

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
This presentation about burnout is pretty interesting: https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa14/conference-program/presentation/lehtonen

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I think I got burnt out twice in my life. The first time I noticed was after graduating from my last semester of undergrad, after an intense semester. It wore off after a week or so, it wasn't that bad, and it was only a semester. The second time I noticed was after leaving a job. After giving 2 weeks notice I was still motivated to go to work and get stuff done, unlike in my previous job's 2 weeks. But I knew overall the job was making me gradually go crazy. Anyway, after leaving, for about 2 months, my brain basically turned off. I could only think about one thing at a time -- you know how you keep a stack of stuff on your mind while thinking about stuff? I had a stack of depth 1. And it wasn't, like, 1 big thing, it was 1 small thing. Like imagine your cognitive ability, when coding after spending 24 hours awake. It was like that. I can only hope the brain underwent a useful refactoring. Then it got better, and a month or two after that, I started getting weird urges to go apply for jobs.

Like, imagine, you could have a job! Think how fun that would be! Way better than your boring, lonesome life.

Edit: Also, do not try playing a round of golf in golf shoes that you know are too small for your feet. Not even at a relatively flat course like Shoreline. Your toenails will be ruined.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 9, 2016

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

necrobobsledder posted:

Google has enterprise sales engineers around DC that primarily work with defense customers (I'm mostly familiar with the Google Earth side and licensing search as an integrator). But most of the big software companies aren't quite as sales culture heavy to throw engineers under the bus constantly to pay sales so much, and that's where companies like IBM, HP (don't go there, they've lost almost all good SEs because of the changes to commissions years ago), and dinosaurs like CA (a guy I know was making $280k / yr basically giving a demo once a month and learning whatever product he wanted to learn). There's also Salesforce and Service Now for slightly better engineering that is also sales culture oriented. Also, Pivotal software is pretty awesome as an engineer but still on the mediocre end for sales comp because they are still innovating instead of squeezing value from a dead rock.

Look for enterprise centric companies specifically, not even b2b. But still, the guys I know with the $1MM+ comps are making nothing compared to their F100 executives and almost all of them were well over 40 and have relationships from being around that industry. Bay Area people are in a different ecosystem with VCs attracting a lot more people than sales, although it was easy for me to find startups needing SE type roles. However, if you're used to top engineer pay in the $170k+ range the $150k pay for a lot less technically challenging roles can be a downer. Beats going down to $80k+ like for those same companies as a software engineer, but sales engineering is an easy job for 40-something former engineers to do IMO and gets pretty decent job satisfaction at least.

Thanks for this! I have more questions now! :)

1. Do non-technical, non-sales-engineering sales people make the $1MM+ comps?
2. Are there more and better opportunities for those without technical knowledge, or is being a "sales engineer" pretty much the only way to make the huge bucks in sales?
3. Which company is "CA"?

My girlfriend wants to reach that level in the next 10-15 years, and she's trying to figure out which paths are most likely to get her there while she's in school. She could definitely pick up computer science knowledge, though, as she likes the material and it comes pretty easily to her. And while I like the $170k+ pay, I'm also keeping an eye out for long-term career options for myself. Senior engineers at my company top out at $250k/yr with over 5 years of experience, but I see a good chance that the increasing number of new software engineers will push wages down before I reach that level.

Thanks again!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thanks for linking it although it's really validating the part of my brain that wants to leave tech.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been working from home a lot recently, about 2 days out of the week. My current job doesn't seem to have any problem with it, at least not in the sense that people are pulling me aside asking what's going on. I'm just as productive at home than I am at work, and I do enjoy going into the office to hang out with the cooler co-workers there, but I just don't think I'm much of an office worker. I like having that balance of going in vs. staying at home, especially since there's no real difference between the two setups. The one thing that stops me is that I haven't had any feedback or anything about it. My manager only seems to be around 2-3 days out of the week anyway, and he's really busy with other things too (I think). It just feels too quiet, I guess. Is this something to worry about?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Nope, I'm out of the office 4 days a week and the day that I'm in is pretty much one meeting and a team lunch.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I'm out of the office 3 days a week, sometimes 4.

But that's mainly because my office is 2.5 hours away

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I wouldn't worry. If you can prove that you are just as productive, nobody will care. I've had two types of coworkers who worked from home (WFH) frequently - the introverts and the overextended. The introverts did fantastically. You knew that when Jane stayed home to work, it was to knock out a big, hard task, and that she'd be back in the office for code review and bugfixes. These coders were usually on a standard schedule - in-office Monday, Weds, Fri, at home Tues, Thurs.

The overextended tended to say they were WFH whenever they had prior conflicts - the cable guy coming over, babysitter suddenly AWOL, feeling "stressed out" - they didn't produce much of anything nor were they very responsive over email or instant messenger. It was very evident that they were just using it to avoid having to take vacation or sick leave, and they were known to be flaky and were somewhat resented for it.

"Performative work" is bullshit you do to prove you are doing actual work, and it is stupid, but very useful, esp if your manager is a non-coder. On any day where you WFH, make sure you tell people exactly what you're going to achieve, and show them after the fact. This can be as simple as "I'm going to work on a big chunk of the email feature" and then coming back and pairing with Mark on said email feature. Be responsive on email and instant messenger from 8 - 5 (or whatever), and announce when you'll be offline - "Going to take lunch, back at 1:30" / "Done for today - see you tomorrow" / etc.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

oliveoil posted:

www.ca.com

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

vonnegutt posted:

I wouldn't worry. If you can prove that you are just as productive, nobody will care. I've had two types of coworkers who worked from home (WFH) frequently - the introverts and the overextended. The introverts did fantastically. You knew that when Jane stayed home to work, it was to knock out a big, hard task, and that she'd be back in the office for code review and bugfixes. These coders were usually on a standard schedule - in-office Monday, Weds, Fri, at home Tues, Thurs.

The overextended tended to say they were WFH whenever they had prior conflicts - the cable guy coming over, babysitter suddenly AWOL, feeling "stressed out" - they didn't produce much of anything nor were they very responsive over email or instant messenger. It was very evident that they were just using it to avoid having to take vacation or sick leave, and they were known to be flaky and were somewhat resented for it.

"Performative work" is bullshit you do to prove you are doing actual work, and it is stupid, but very useful, esp if your manager is a non-coder. On any day where you WFH, make sure you tell people exactly what you're going to achieve, and show them after the fact. This can be as simple as "I'm going to work on a big chunk of the email feature" and then coming back and pairing with Mark on said email feature. Be responsive on email and instant messenger from 8 - 5 (or whatever), and announce when you'll be offline - "Going to take lunch, back at 1:30" / "Done for today - see you tomorrow" / etc.

It was only once I got a chance to focus on my intra-company project at home that I figured out what I really needed to do for it, and I got a hell of a lot more done yesterday than I have over the past few days at work, so I'd certainly say I'm more productive at home than in the office. At least, it seems that way to me.

As for the second situation, it's a little hard because it does kind of make sense if you have to work at home cause a plumber is coming over, or if your kid is sick, or if you have a major doctor's appointment that day. Working at home just cause you feel kinda eh isn't as good an excuse, but as long as you're productive I don't feel it should be resented or anything.

The main problem in my sense is that there's actually very little and rather poorly implemented communication between team members, so letting others know of our productivity is neither common nor well-supported. This is currently taking a backseat to the problem that nobody is actually managing or leading the main product that I work on, because our project manager left on a sabbatical for four months and we've had no leadership since :shepface: That's the biggest concern I have, project management is pretty balls and that makes WFH kind of dangerous - how else can you prove productivity? I just don't wanna get dinged for something that's not really something I've been able to change while I've been here.

Either way, I got a tagging system to work on :suicide: Thank god for Rails, funnily enough.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

HondaCivet posted:

Did anyone here completely burn out and then eventually find a way to enjoy work again? What did you do?
I'm between jobs but am mostly motivated that if I don't improve my skills and make money somehow then I'll have to work for a likely crappy company again. But I'm working on projects that I'd written down concepts for years ago and using languages I'd just played around with on more serious efforts now that I can get 12 hours of uninterrupted time.

Really though, I'd just go do whatever else you wanted to do besides code. Burnout is more a function of you wanting to do something other than what you do at work I've found whether it's going fishing, spending time with your kids, or something as simple as sleeping 8 hours / night. Once that's out of your system you'll have to assess whether you even want to work anymore and have the perspective to realize how it can't be so bad working in software.

oliveoil posted:

Thanks for this! I have more questions now! :)

1. Do non-technical, non-sales-engineering sales people make the $1MM+ comps?
2. Are there more and better opportunities for those without technical knowledge, or is being a "sales engineer" pretty much the only way to make the huge bucks in sales?
1. People like Jeff Dean, Andrew Ng, or even the lead engineer for highly visible projects like Google Maps can easily make more than the $1MM / yr mark primarily via RSUs rather than just raw cash. But for most companies, sales is where the money is, that's just how most businesses work even in technology companies. Microsoft's SEs and sales guys can pull that sometimes as regional managers but those guys are all among the best of the best probably. Sales tapers off in compensation packages at most companies where upper management will make more, and that's typically where you should have gone to an Ivy League college and gotten an MBA by 25 or something and launched and sold 5 companies before you turned 30 kind of levels of overachievement / connections. Your CEO probably shouldn't make less than a random sales manager, but then there's companies like Google where a random search executive that's been with Google since near the beginning gets $50M+ / yr to never go to competitors basically.

2. To be correct, the big bucks aren't even as sales engineering as individual contributors, just plain sales. The highest earning sales engineering guys I could venture to guess at were with Google and the guy I met had a comp structure I guesstimated with some coworkers that knew more about his deals leading to somewhere around $800k total comp for the year. But once you have n million in the bank plus a huge McMansion, people get itches to start their own companies typically because they've got a network of both investors and potential partners and employees setup, so they don't really need accelerators / incubators like YCombinator anymore to do well.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Pollyanna posted:

As for the second situation, it's a little hard because it does kind of make sense if you have to work at home cause a plumber is coming over, or if your kid is sick, or if you have a major doctor's appointment that day. Working at home just cause you feel kinda eh isn't as good an excuse, but as long as you're productive I don't feel it should be resented or anything.

That was kind of my point - showing how productive you are is key. The overextended coworkers who thought they would be productive working from home with a sick kid were usually ...not. Or at least not as much as they would be in-office. In those cases, it would be better to say you're taking a day off and will try to work a half day if possible. The resentment came from people acting as if they could put in a standard 8 hours, including being available by chat and email, and then clearly not achieving that.

It doesn't sound like your office has any kind of official policy in place, which makes it even harder - then you're relying on people's opinions and impressions of your productivity rather than actual work completed. In your position, I would be extra diligent to make sure your WFH days were well documented work days, however that works at your company.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

vonnegutt posted:

That was kind of my point - showing how productive you are is key. The overextended coworkers who thought they would be productive working from home with a sick kid were usually ...not. Or at least not as much as they would be in-office. In those cases, it would be better to say you're taking a day off and will try to work a half day if possible. The resentment came from people acting as if they could put in a standard 8 hours, including being available by chat and email, and then clearly not achieving that.

It doesn't sound like your office has any kind of official policy in place, which makes it even harder - then you're relying on people's opinions and impressions of your productivity rather than actual work completed. In your position, I would be extra diligent to make sure your WFH days were well documented work days, however that works at your company.

I'm definitely not keeping up with the "make sure your WFH days are well documented" part, which is partly due to the fact that there's very little intra-office communication, not much structure around day-to-day project management, and the fact that everyone's out at a hackathon this week except me :drum: WFH for me is literally working from home, I do the exact same things that I do in the office except with more focus and usually more success. Sure, it's convenient when I have a big doctor's appointment or something, but that's not the point of it and I'm doing work anyway. Maybe that's not something I should be doing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

I'm definitely not keeping up with the "make sure your WFH days are well documented" part, which is partly due to the fact that there's very little intra-office communication, not much structure around day-to-day project management, and the fact that everyone's out at a hackathon this week except me :drum: WFH for me is literally working from home, I do the exact same things that I do in the office except with more focus and usually more success. Sure, it's convenient when I have a big doctor's appointment or something, but that's not the point of it and I'm doing work anyway. Maybe that's not something I should be doing.

...so do you guys keep track of what you're doing, like, at all? How do you make certain that the team is effectively working together to accomplish tasks that the company needs to have accomplished?

The documentation is mostly to deal with office relationships, since it's very easy to lose track of what a WFH person is actually doing and therefore assume they're doing nothing. If you don't have that problem, then I guess you don't need to document things. I doubt your boss would mind you sending them an email saying "I just want to prove that I didn't slack off yesterday: here's what I did", though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

...so do you guys keep track of what you're doing, like, at all? How do you make certain that the team is effectively working together to accomplish tasks that the company needs to have accomplished?

The documentation is mostly to deal with office relationships, since it's very easy to lose track of what a WFH person is actually doing and therefore assume they're doing nothing. If you don't have that problem, then I guess you don't need to document things. I doubt your boss would mind you sending them an email saying "I just want to prove that I didn't slack off yesterday: here's what I did", though.

I can send an email, easy enough. I'll update my manager on the state of the project. I can say that I've accomplished a lot more in the past two days of hardcore Rails cramming than I have in about a week+ of loving around in Phoenix. First demo is this coming Monday, and hopefully it will go well (read: not be a disappointment). So, it's not like I don't have anything to show for it. I get kinda defensive over this stuff, though.

As for keeping track of what people are doing, no. Nothing more than a time sheet with hours spent according to whatever project you've been working on belongs to. People just fill it out with 40hrs/week all in advance. There is a weekly huddle, but that's on an inter-office level, not individual project teams, and it's kinda BS anyway. It's really disappointing, typical glacier waterfall management.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I like working from home because I would lose a lot of time on my commute flying to California from New York every day.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Besides "I was starting my career in a kinda crappy place where this was the only way to get paid and that's why I came to this nice place," how do you explain why one wants to go from contracts to FTE? Or is it probably worth just getting some exchange obamacare and keeping up with contracts until you get old?

Also never, ever get too comfortable. Being monkey in the middle between two leads can quickly result in a "bad fit" pat on the back out the door. ALWAYS CYA.

Why the gently caress are some people so disagreeable and hard at just cooperating?

EDIT: Also, what's the correct way to gracefully dodge the question and not badmouth a prior employer besides "bad fit," particularly when your employer's policy is to not discuss anything whatsoever except time of employment?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Space Whale posted:

EDIT: Also, what's the correct way to gracefully dodge the question and not badmouth a prior employer besides "bad fit," particularly when your employer's policy is to not discuss anything whatsoever except time of employment?
In my opinion, you can say negative things about a prior employer as long as it's a fact-based assessment.

The career track at a previous employer of mine would have had me doing more sales-like stuff as I moved up and less technical things, which was not something I wanted to do. It doesn't make them bad it just made it something I didn't want to do so I saw it as a negative. I don't think most people would think that's "badmouthing" them, so it's not burning any bridges or anything, but it does provide perspective on why I was interested in working elsewhere.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

No Safe Word posted:

In my opinion, you can say negative things about a prior employer as long as it's a fact-based assessment.

The career track at a previous employer of mine would have had me doing more sales-like stuff as I moved up and less technical things, which was not something I wanted to do. It doesn't make them bad it just made it something I didn't want to do so I saw it as a negative. I don't think most people would think that's "badmouthing" them, so it's not burning any bridges or anything, but it does provide perspective on why I was interested in working elsewhere.

What happened was "$priorJob signed a huge contract with NDA so a lot of people ran around like chickens with their heads cut off, CTO dancing around humming zipadeedoodah, I just did what was told instead of CYA-ing, and communication/management breakdown bit me in the rear end. I think. Nobody actually told me poo poo and the only fact is Monday contract signed Tuesday I'm gone. I have no idea if anyone else left as I was all but snuck out and on linkedin my coworkers were shocked."

If I say that I'm going to look whiny or resentful. I honestly don't care but someone's gonna ask why I was at a place only 8 months, especially when the first job in town had layoffs after only 3 months. That first job will happily explain it all, but the second won't say poo poo when HR answers, per their policy, and all I was told was "bad fit" and "I wouldn't even worry you are a good dev."

I'm moving again (Denver from Austin) and I might be able to say "lease up, didn't like Austin, but my gf has sold me on the place and she took me home with her" (which is actually very true) but I don't want this to be a thorn in my side for the next few years. I want to find a good place and stay put, not get lowballed out the door or go back to contractville and be locked out of a good long term full time job. I really want stability.

Edit: I'd honestly rather just tell the truth, but since everything is a drat kabuki show of manners and ritualized non answers I figured I'd actually start paying attention to CYA so this doesn't happen again.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Or in some rare cases there's press so bad it speaks for itself. :P

Me: "Because I worked at ------."
Interviewer: "I see."
Me: "Yup. You remember hearing about that bad press cycle? That barely touched the surface."
Interviewer: *sighs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Space Whale posted:

Besides "I was starting my career in a kinda crappy place where this was the only way to get paid and that's why I came to this nice place," how do you explain why one wants to go from contracts to FTE? Or is it probably worth just getting some exchange obamacare and keeping up with contracts until you get old?

Has anybody ever asked you this question? People bounce between contract and permanent (I assume that's what you meant by FTE) positions all the time. Regardless, there are a bunch of reasons to prefer a permanent position, just pick one. Just a few off the top of my head:

"I'd rather not deal with the tax/benefit situation as a contractor."
"I want to settle down and commit to one place for a change."
"I've felt like an outsider as a contractor before and I'd prefer to be a real part of a team."

I really feel like you're over thinking this, contract vs. perm is really just a matter of personal preference and opportunity.