Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I find DRK the easiest tank, to be honest. Unleash and AD work better to grab threat than flash and overpower from my experience. As long as you aren't terrible at managing MP you'll be fine.

I do love WAR at times though. Berserk triple fell cleaves and triple decimates for trash packs are pretty much the best.

I think DRK is the trickiest because it's the easiest one to accidentally run out of MP and suddenly uh oh you can't use an ability that you need to use right now to grab threat. With PLD and WAR, if you run out of TP or MP it's because it's either a very long fight or you spammed overpower way too much, but with DRK, it's easier to accidentally gently caress yourself and cause a real problem briefly.

You're right in that it's fine as long as you're not terrible at MP management, there's just way more room to be terrible at it than there is with the other classes.

Fun when you get the hang of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ugh guess they moved the ffgoons server to the new thing again. It's not working. Working with the provider on it, but no ETA at this time.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I just went into Sohr Kahi and got a Scholor who never summoned a fairy and was trying to DPS without cleric stance.

We somehow managed to slug our way through the first boss but I quit cause the shear stupidity of how long that took was mind boggling. All of them had been in the instance before.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
My first venture into Sohr Khai involved a tank who thought four stacks of vulnerability up was a normal and cool thing for a tank to get, and then promptly blamed everyone else when we kept wiping on the second boss.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I want to do a server transfer to a (much) more populous server, but there's the gil limit, so I need to invest to preserve my gold. I haven't played the game for almost a year, so I have no idea what's valuable or consistently sells. What kinds of items should I look at for committing arbitrage, going from a tiny server with a depressed economy to a larger server? I realize this depends on the server markets, but I need to start somewhere.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Do the research and figure out what's valuable on your destination server.

At the very least, if you do not do that, convert your gil into Clear Demimateria and Allagan Coins before transferring.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Or just punt and buy something like grade V materia which will always be fairly valuable on any server.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

When I get to Heavensward and get my post 50 Conjurer skills, will I have to radically change my hotbar?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

When I get to Heavensward and get my post 50 Conjurer skills, will I have to radically change my hotbar?

Nah, bread and butter skills remain bread and butter. If you have Stone 2 on a very handy key/button, it might get replaced with Stone 3, but that's it.

For WHM, at most you'll want to make sure Assize and Tetra are on handy buttons. Everything else is a bit situational.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ugh poo poo's super broken and they're kind of dumping it on me to figure out. Working on it but also trying to get them to like, do this because im not a loving rackspace engineer or know why their poo poo is broken, but who knows how long this will take.

Sorry, I'll try to get things working as soon as I can but gently caress knows when that will be.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Final Steps Duty Finder group clear on our second try.

Late night pubs apparently not retarded.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i like how the crafting changes have panned out, since with universal sets there's now a clear progression path beyond "i don't know, spend all the money on the server overmelding eight sets"

also the augmented red scrip stuff costing 1/2 as much as the original red scrip stuff did is very nice

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ArtIsResistance posted:

it was all you, the group of stupid pubbies was just waiting for a goon to save them from the boss in the 24 person raid

On my first run of Mhach, it became very apparent about 4 tries in that we were wiping because of a single extremely bad healer in Alliance B who couldn't stay alive or heal for poo poo and the other healer couldn't keep up by themselves. As soon as they were replaced, we cleared Ozma and the final boss in a single attempt each.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Time like this I really wish I hated the people on my server more so I could transfer to excal. Spent 5 hours in steps tonight. 2 groups made it to phase 2. More groups than that wouldn't even survive until the adds.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I like how Dragonsong starts in the long cutscene, continues through the interstitial area, and then into the Final Steps fight itself without interruption. That was a pretty cool way to segue into it that I don't remember getting used much if all prior to this.

The fight is also great even if pubs are going to be bad at the dps check for a while. The second party I was in succeeded, the first liked standing in cauterize paths too much.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Thankfully the pubbie scum that I ended up running with weren't pants on head retarded. Also, it's really nice to be back in this game now that there's actual loving content to do other than "Run Alexander until you loving bleed and die."

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Koji you are magnificent

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sohr Khai is my preferred of the two new 4-man dungeons in terms of gameplay but Hullbreaker HM is great just because the last part of the dungeon just gets me hyped up more.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hullbreaker HM has this really great, chill pacing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought Hullbreaker was disappointing, probably because of the first "boss." Sohr Khai was pretty nice though, and I really like the music playing there. Haven't ventured much into weeping city yet, although at least around the first two bosses it's a really nice looking place. Seems really intense for a 24 man, so I hope it doesn't tilt me off like Steps is doing.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Boten Anna posted:

Ugh guess they moved the ffgoons server to the new thing again. It's not working. Working with the provider on it, but no ETA at this time.

Figures poo poo would go stupid on me just as I managed to get back to the promised land. rip me.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Well, didn't make it past Ozma. That is a fun, difficult fight however. It's harder than midas but not quite ex primal difficulty.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zweihander01 posted:

Koji you are magnificent

:darksouls: in my FF14? It's more likely than you think.

Griz
May 21, 2001

5 aquapolis runs, 2 room 7s, a gatherer's grasp V materia, and half my lore cap for the week

I'm just gonna do maps instead of expert from now on

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Does it matter what Grand Company you join?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Just what glamour you prefer and who you play some endgame PVP stuff with, nothing gamechanging.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

GloomMouse posted:

Not really. Also you can switch.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Griz posted:

5 aquapolis runs, 2 room 7s, a gatherer's grasp V materia, and half my lore cap for the week

I'm just gonna do maps instead of expert from now on

didnt the treasure map system back in like 2.1/2.2 have this exact same problem where you could cap your weekly currency super quick

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That's a *problem*?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

:darksouls: in my FF14? It's more likely than you think.

The best part is he's wearing the mistbeard mask.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

For the maid/butler amazon event is it a random code for each $20 purchase? I was under the impression that it'd be all the items but I don't want to deal with RNG if not.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Further details are to come, but I'm sure we'll be trading those codes around with each other anyways.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Alder posted:

For the maid/butler amazon event is it a random code for each $20 purchase? I was under the impression that it'd be all the items but I don't want to deal with RNG if not.
It should be everything with one code (the full Japanese promotion was roughly $20 in purchases also).

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zweihander01 posted:

Koji you are magnificent

Literally the first thing I thought of when I saw the transition happen. Between that, the general music being pretty much Doma from ff6 and the return of Whelk, Hullbreaker HM is my favorite dungeon of the two.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

GloomMouse posted:

Pick one you like thematically and it's probably the right choice, also you can change it when you're max rank

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
A friend of mine slapped together a very quick visual guide for Ozma:

http://imgur.com/a/TVULx

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So where have we seen this emblem before?

If you were the kind of horrible dweeb to get a video game tattoo, you could do lots worse than that.

Zweihander01 posted:

Koji you are magnificent

There is absolutely no chance in hell that this is an accident.

The only misgiving I have about Hullbreaker HM is that they used "Bullet Hell" for this fight and not for the giant crew of all-female gunners that make up the first boss of this place. :livintrope:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's a *problem*?

the design intent of basically every other aspect of the weekly gameflow is either a full raid tier clear or logging in every day and doing daily activities

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

FrostyJones posted:

A friend of mine slapped together a very quick visual guide for Ozma:

http://imgur.com/a/TVULx

Your friend should know that the balls do exactly 50% maxhp damage. As a result, you're better off having the tank stand in melee range, having the rest of the party stand on the opposite corner, and having a healer pop balls, like in A4/A4S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mazed posted:

So where have we seen this emblem before?

If you were the kind of horrible dweeb to get a video game tattoo, you could do lots worse than that.

It's similar to Ratatoskr's depiction in the slat scroll that accompanies Hraesvelgr's discussion of The Truth in 3.0. Betweem the two we actually have a decent idea of what she must have looked like. And it's another reason I'm rather surprised they didn't go with the "hey, guess what, she can be resurrected like her dad and bro" angle I thought they'd been setting up for, really, almost two years.

Mazed posted:

The only misgiving I have about Hullbreaker HM is that they used "Bullet Hell" for this fight and not for the giant crew of all-female gunners that make up the first boss of this place. :livintrope:

Well I mean, with that avatar of course you'd think that. :v:

• Locked thread