Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, I still don't get why everyone automatically becomes a cannibal when electronics stop working. I guess the iPhones the kids these days have their faces stuck in keep us inline from tearing each other limb from limb.

It's all just a reflection of how small minded and terrified of anything these kind of people are.

To be fair, when waiting in a long line, that isn't too far from the truth. Jetpack Joyride keeps the post office rage inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Knowing where the shelters full of food and supplies is also useful survival knowledge if you are in contact with raider gangs

They shouldn't be so quick to laugh at those not prepping. Some of us are, just in different ways

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just hoping the raider gang I run into doesn't already have someone willing to put on a stupid hat and act like a complete idiot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The danger from EMPs is that they'll gently caress up the electrical grid. How badly depends greatly on the size and location, but it could result in a lot of hosed up substations.

Of course, thats from a real life EMP which is a nuke going off in the ionosphere.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Epic High Five posted:

Knowing where the shelters full of food and supplies is also useful survival knowledge if you are in contact with raider gangs

They shouldn't be so quick to laugh at those not prepping. Some of us are, just in different ways

Planning on being a pretty good decorative skull, myself.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Otisburg posted:

Planning on being a pretty good decorative skull, myself.

My plan is stay in major population centers so my vaporization is quick and relatively painless.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hermetic posted:

My plan is stay in major population centers so my vaporization is quick and relatively painless.

Av-post combo

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Myself, learn Spanish and/or Portuguese, and flee at the country for South America the moment it looks like a war might be inevitable. Pretty much all the nukes are going to get expended in the northern hemisphere and the fallout is likely going to stay there thanks to how the jet stream works.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the only way you're flatlining a large portion of the US is with a thermonuclear device mounted on a large rocket

the US will see any such launch, and immediately respond to said EMP attack with nuclear hellfire, which is why you'll never see an EMP attack

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Myself, learn Spanish and/or Portuguese, and flee at the country for South America the moment it looks like a war might be inevitable. Pretty much all the nukes are going to get expended in the northern hemisphere and the fallout is likely going to stay there thanks to how the jet stream works.

If I'm in charge when the big one comes around, I'm sending a couple to every big country in the southern hemisphere too. Gotta be a level playing field for the dark times after you know

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

If I'm in charge when the big one comes around, I'm sending a couple to every big country in the southern hemisphere too. Gotta be a level playing field for the dark times after you know

I could actually see us or the soviets doing this at our most paranoid, thinking that "oh the government will somehow survive the nuclear war but our military will be in tatters so we better make sure Venezuela (US) / Australia (USSR) can't sneak attack us while we're busy!!!"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

The thing is that most of the superpowers knew this. In fact, it's supposedly one of the reasons for Operation Condor in the '70s, to help create "neutral" countries that would be used for the U.S. government in exile in the event of a war. The thing is that I doubt any of them had planned to attack South America or Africa because 1) WW3 would be a "use it or lose it" situation, with warheads being assigned to either destroy other enemy warheads in a first strike (what they called counterforce) or used against population and industrial centers, transit hubs, fuel reserves, naval yards, and other vital items in rebuilding and rearming in the retaliatory strike (what they call countervalue). So, what ends up happening is that you end up doubling or tripling up on warheads for that retaliatory strike to ensure you get the maximized destructive potential, because you'll likely lose 50% to 75% of your nuclear arsenal in the enemy's first strike. And you can't really choose where those targets are going, so it's going to be the luck of the draw. So, you can't really afford to throw away nukes on spoiled sport targets especially when...

2) you're going to need their help to rebuild your own country or hide out there while you run the reconstruction process from a far. While bombing allied nations was encouraged, nuking neutral nations would get them pissed, especially when you have bomber and naval crews relocating there in the aftermath. It would be a great way to get you and your people lynched by the natives the moment they stepped on their ground. I'm pretty sure this is why the French and the British had kept subequatorial assets like Guyana and the Falklands.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There was a time when nuclear war was thought to be limited to the northern hemisphere, but it's really not gonna go down like that. Australia, India, Brazil and a few others would get waxed by the US or Russia to deny potential allies.

Not as bad as, say, Europe, but no one is getting by unscathed. Besides, lowering the sun penetration over 50% of the planet cools the entire planet, anyway.

e- you want to die with the flash in a nuclear war, is what I'm saying

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

look at this loser who doesn't even want to die digging in the frozen soil for radiated grubs on a dying earth under a soot-black sky

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was looking forward to a crazy vault-tec experiment myself

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

hobbesmaster posted:

Everyone hopes to be the 1 man 100 women vault but you're just going to end up in the 1 man 50k beanie babies one.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Al! posted:

Why would you use a canon when you could just build a fire against the door then chop through it when weakened enough?

Why would I expose myself or people on my side to their defense when I can sit back in safety and laugh as I destroy their awesome, primo defensive structure?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Krinkle posted:

Everyone hopes to be the 1 man 100 women vault but you're just going to end up in the 1 man 50k beanie babies one.

Statistically they're probably be in one of the vaults that was deliberately overcrowded.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

There was a time when nuclear war was thought to be limited to the northern hemisphere, but it's really not gonna go down like that. Australia, India, Brazil and a few others would get waxed by the US or Russia to deny potential allies.

Not as bad as, say, Europe, but no one is getting by unscathed. Besides, lowering the sun penetration over 50% of the planet cools the entire planet, anyway.

e- you want to die with the flash in a nuclear war, is what I'm saying

Nu-uh, I buried a school bus in my backyard and filled it with mayo tubs I'm ready for the post-apocalypse

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Epic High Five posted:

Nu-uh, I buried a school bus in my backyard and filled it with mayo tubs I'm ready for the post-apocalypse

Can't wait for the aliens to discover our hidden bunkers and buried storage caches filled with cave mayo after we annihilate ourselves with nuclear weapons. They won't know what the gently caress.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Epic High Five posted:

Should have taken the kids out first, genius.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Murderion posted:

Should have taken the kids out first, genius.

They'll keep.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Rick_Hunter posted:

Can't wait for the aliens to discover our hidden bunkers and buried storage caches filled with cave mayo after we annihilate ourselves with nuclear weapons. They won't know what the gently caress.

They'll probably just assume they're religious sites, just like football stadiums and anything else that seems weird or inexplicable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rick_Hunter posted:

Gotta protect the royal jelly!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"What boggles the mind is our discovery that these remote shrine sites do NOT feature the golden trimmed iconography found at the larger palaces of the empire. We do not, as of yet, understand the significance of this. It's very clear based on other materials found that these were very crucial areas of the empire, what we think are large caches of weapons and previously mentioned iconography, however it seems that this lack of golden trimming signifies a break with the ocean temples found elsewhere.

Why these shrines seem to be buried in the middle of nowhere, with every one containing remains yet clearly not a tomb, we do not yet understand."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Everyone should read A Canticle for Leibowitz it's really good at this sort of "people figuring out history centuries after a nuclear apocalypse." Like it becomes mythologized that God gave man the power of the sun to use for good but the vain princes that ruled the land took it for themselves and so God punished them with the sun's fire and a great beast known as The Fallout. They also think a fallout shelter is a shelter where The Fallout lives and stuff like that.

It's also a great book about the Catholic Church

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
When I typed the above I was thinking more of David Macaulay's 'Motel of the Mysteries.'

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably more relevant is David Brin's The Postman which is set in a post apocalyptic society where the fall of civilization is put directly at the feet of the survivalist movement of the 80s. The main character talks about how things were kind of bad but they were actually on an upswing until the survivalists got a charismatic leader who preached the gospel of "take whatever you have the strength to take."

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Probably more relevant is David Brin's The Postman which is set in a post apocalyptic society where the fall of civilization is put directly at the feet of the survivalist movement of the 80s. The main character talks about how things were kind of bad but they were actually on an upswing until the survivalists got a charismatic leader who preached the gospel of "take whatever you have the strength to take."

The guy ended up lynched, too, but this didn't stop his followers from ruining everything.

Edit: Also, they ended up with exactly the sort of neofeudal society they wanted and end up invading Oregon, where the book takes place. Except it turns out they're running away from an uprising that seems to literally be the New California Republic

NewMars has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Jun 9, 2016

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

that sounds a lot better thought-out than what little i remember of the movie

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

zeal posted:

that sounds a lot better thought-out than what little i remember of the movie

The movie is terrible. The book on the other hand, is quite good. David Brin's a pretty good author.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Quorum posted:

They'll probably just assume they're religious sites, just like football stadiums and anything else that seems weird or inexplicable.

Let's be honest, with the fanatical devotion some people give to their favorite teams sports are basically a religion anyway.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Let's be honest, with the fanatical devotion some people give to their favorite teams sports are basically a religion anyway.

I am a disciple of Tiny Football God, for his bullshit miricles brought the Holy Lombardi Relic to Seattle

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that we built a weird monument at the hoover dam because it's likely to be here (or at least part of it) long after we're obliterated and aliens can see it from space and marvel at it :3:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Why do you think I'm heading for Disney World when the bombs drop? :smug:

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
The crazy is spreading to England.

quote:

The mystery of the 'legal name fraud' billboards

Scores of posters have appeared around the UK warning of "legal name fraud". What does this mean and who is paying for the adverts?
The message is spelled out in bold capital letters. "LEGAL NAME FRAUD," it says. Then below: "THE TRUTH." And finally: "IT'S ILLEGAL TO USE A LEGAL NAME."

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This sound like something that would be in Scarfolk.

http://scarfolk.blogspot.com

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Ape of Naples posted:

This sound like something that would be in Scarfolk.

http://scarfolk.blogspot.com

One of my friends once altered the poster to change "Scarfolk Council" to the local county name, and then printed up a bunch of them and posted them around work after hours. The confusion and amusement that resulted over the following week was pretty great.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW4eFYSl9C8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So the fatal miscalculation was actually that it really wasn't rabbit season.