Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Shut it down people, Twilight made money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

No, it's a fine defense, because it demonstrates how hyperbolic and ridiculous the excuse of "rape culture" is when it comes to hand wringing about words. It's just another excuse to try and tell people how to talk and what to say. It's all dramatic and serious, so people take it seriously, but when you are literally saying that people making jokes that involve rape is somehow turning rape into something people think is okay is patently absurd.

You know what I see, of due note, when rape cases hit the headlines? I see a lot of people outraged and furious and aghast and disgusted. I see people who expect criminal proceedings and are disgusted that somebody would assault somebody else in such a way. And I interact with a whole lot of different people on a daily basis, both urban and rural residents. Do you know where I hear about things like victim blaming and these accounts of women not being believed when they were victims of assault? I hear about them from loving clickbait articles that are saying the same poo poo you guys are.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How much did Twilight gross again? How many romance novels are published every year? I mean, even James Bond had Daniel Craig slow walking out of the ocean and that's basically the most chauvinistic of all franchises.

At the end of the day, shallow characters are shallow regardless of their gender.

gbt reddit

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Strong feelings about how much one doesn't care about video games seems to correlate strongly with ending up on my ignore list.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

We need a Go Back To Reddit Emote.

Hbomberguy posted:

Shut it down people, Twilight made money!

Since your here, you mentioned on Twitter you started getting response videos to your stuff? Can you post them?

anyway, movie nights posted the top ten moments from the Quantum Leap novels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufoseag-wRA. 20 of these books were made? :psyduck:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 8, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

That stuff

He's also a big gross piece of poo poo about transpeople.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

He's also a big gross piece of poo poo about transpeople.

yes i know, i was the one who quoted that stuff into this thread too :v:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

MrSlam posted:

A silly lampshade moment like that would've been welcome. Instead Kojima has encyclopedias of stupid explanations for every character's idiosyncracies. Why does that one soldier love puppy paw pads so much? Did his father own a puppy farm in southern Ukraine that was destroyed by the elite Soviet Flightless Water Fowl Squad?

For me the weirdest explanation for a thing in MGS will be the time in 2 where spamming Plisken on the codec had him tell me Vamp wasn't called Vamp because of that whole vampire thing he had going on. No he's called Vamp because he was Bisexual. And it then went into how he was shagging that woman who deflected bullets and her father. I remember thinking as an impressionable twelve year old, cool, so why is he called Vamp then?

Seriously is Vamp American or Japanese slang for a bisexual or was it just completely there to give false depth to a nanomachine vampire?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

For me the weirdest explanation for a thing in MGS will be the time in 2 where spamming Plisken on the codec had him tell me Vamp wasn't called Vamp because of that whole vampire thing he had going on. No he's called Vamp because he was Bisexual. And it then went into how he was shagging that woman who deflected bullets and her father. I remember thinking as an impressionable twelve year old, cool, so why is he called Vamp then?

Seriously is Vamp American or Japanese slang for a bisexual or was it just completely there to give false depth to a nanomachine vampire?

A vamp is another word for a seductress or femme fatale. That's probably it from Kojima's view; he's a male vamp.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
All we needed was a scene of him rubbing himself in the shower or gyrating to some kickass 80's tunes in the chopper (maybe an explanation that he was infected with the ringworm of sexuality) and this thread would be 20 pages shorter, cause I'm sure it's not the first time it got brought up. It's sad though, because he does go into the shower a lot as a game mechanic.

I don't remember it being mentioned earlier but WHAT! PHELOUS ISN'T REVIEWING A CARTOON! Here's his Hellraiser: Hellworld review. They tried making a slasher flick, got confused on the plot details, threw in the stupidest shocking twists that made it even more incomprehensible, and threw in a Pinhead cameo to ride off the few diehard fans of the Hellraiser series. Still, it's great to see Horror Phelous again.

Also Guru Larry's sick so Dan Ibbertson talks about 10 Amazing Kickstarter Games That Could Have Been. Human Resources was too big to succeed and that Kung Fu one would've been really interesting to see.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 8, 2016

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Augus posted:

James Bond is sexy and appeals to men because it makes them want to be like James Bond.
That is not very often the case with female characters.

I legit wished I could be Bayonetta when I was playing the game. Not just the looks, but the way the character just oozes confidence and style. Went right through the gender barrier!

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I got a request to talk about some Yu Yu Hakusho episodes, which I have decided to use as a springboard to talk about more under-the-hood elements of visual storytelling. So here's my video on the first episode, where I focus mostly on visual framing and the use of subjective narratives.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

poparena posted:

I got a request to talk about some Yu Yu Hakusho episodes, which I have decided to use as a springboard to talk about more under-the-hood elements of visual storytelling. So here's my video on the first episode, where I focus mostly on visual framing and the use of subjective narratives.

YYH is a really good choice if you're gonna talk about the technical aspects in animation and how it's used in storytelling. The animation that show had was really creative and impressive, especially for its time.

The music especially is always going to stick with me, the track just feels perfect for the show. It never feels out of place, they always use the music perfectly. Hell towards the end they start extensively using one of their best tracks "Takatai no hate", a track which most other anime teams would only use for emotional moments and still somehow manages to make it work every single time they use it, they even somehow make it work during a goddamn training montage.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

PZ Meyers rted him so that's already a major factor.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alaois posted:

yes i know, i was the one who quoted that stuff into this thread too :v:

You're doing God's work.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How much did Twilight gross again? How many romance novels are published every year? I mean, even James Bond had Daniel Craig slow walking out of the ocean and that's basically the most chauvinistic of all franchises.

At the end of the day, shallow characters are shallow regardless of their gender.

You are such a dipshit

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

poparena posted:

YYH is legit one of my favorite fun shows ever, so I'm excited to watch this. I love how it actually makes the whole arena/tournament setup work for it rather than against it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Baka-nin posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2 almost has a Navy Special Effects Expert named Chinaman who, despite his name, was ethnically Vietnamese, and it is the greatest tragedy of history that this did not make it into the final game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baka-nin posted:

A vamp was a 1920's slang term for a sexually promiscuous woman. The difference from a slut is that a vamp was far more predatory and dangerous--see "femme fatale". It's a feminine term, but applied to Vamp himself due to his appetites. Has nothing to do with his vampire-like qualities.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A vamp was a 1920's slang term for a sexually promiscuous woman. The difference from a slut is that a vamp was far more predatory and dangerous--see "femme fatale". It's a feminine term, but applied to Vamp himself due to his appetites. Has nothing to do with his vampire-like qualities.

Okay so it is American slang. And yes it does have something to do with his vampire motive the whole conversation and name was chosen for that surprise factor for the play on words.

This is literally how the conversation goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpx5TW1A68I

Plisken: He survived by drinking blood.
Raiden: No wonder they call him Vamp
Plisken: What? No he isn't called Vamp for Vamp, its because he's bisexual.
Raiden: Huh?
Plisken: Yeah, he's shagging that blonde magneto, and was banging her dad.

See the whole thing revolves around a double meaning,one obvious the other not.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well that double meaning was there from the beginning. Vamp only meant femme fatale because of the vampire character played by Theda Bara in A Fool There Was.

Note I only know this from listening to the You Must Remember This podcast, not because it's really common knowledge.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It's a bait-and-switch joke you god drat sperglords.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

As the goofy sci-fi tie-in book guy, Allison's recent video on Quantum Leap novels is totally my jam.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

It's a bait-and-switch joke you god drat sperglords.

Baka-nin didn't know the other meaning, so the joke didn't make sense to them. We told them the other meaning, and then the joke made sense. What's "sperglord" about that?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I didn't notice that it was an 8-Bit Scholar post at first. Sorry for calling the rest of you sperglords and sorry to people with Asperger syndrome as well.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Some fine cherry picking on this Pre Rec short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnlDwEZkidI

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 9, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's sad that it became a thing to flail and cry about Naughty Dog just 'cause, when they still put so much time and effort into making cool things.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man gently caress Naughty Dog. They had a pattern and they broke it.

Where the gently caress is the Uncharted racing game, Naughty Dog? Where the gently caress is it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Moviebob tries out a new review format for Warcraft.
I hope you enjoy staring into an unpleasant visage for ten minutes while he yells at a camera.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hope you enjoy staring into an unpleasant visage for ten minutes while he yells at a camera.

He is way too close to the camera.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PassTheRemote posted:

He is way too close to the camera.

I do enjoy his blame the consumer justification for such a bad format. "Hey fuckheads, as long as Youtube sucks at copyright law, you poor bastards get to look at my mug!"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

As discussed before in this thread, there are lots of way less terrible ways to skirt around Youtube's lovely Content ID systems

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I am totally surprised that Warcraft is bad. :geno:

I'd still watch it before watching that video again.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dude's getting to be Jim Sterling levels of unhealthy looking.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Some fine cherry picking on this Pre Rec short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnlDwEZkidI

I don't think the Uncharted games are for them. The game's a bit slower than the previous ones but the dips have good character moments while the spikes in action are extremely well done and intense.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You know Bob, maybe you should just do short podcasts.

Or have a semi-animated avatar of yourself

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You know Bob, maybe you should just do short podcasts.

Or have a semi-animated avatar of yourself

I don't get why he doesn't just switch to doing podcasts. All of his yt stuff is just static images anyway.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Since your here, you mentioned on Twitter you started getting response videos to your stuff? Can you post them?
Here's a couple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z9RhsTfUb4
This guy edited jokes of mine to be his jokes (taking my looney tunes music sting, editing around the part of my video where I do that, to make it look like his original joke do not steal), while claiming my jokes aren't very good. Someone actually literally complained about the quality of my sense of humor while stealing it. That's a first!
Also, choice quote:
"You know you're not as funny as you think you are, right?" Like, no. By definition!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9_8ezVxdEo
This guy draws squiggles in Paint Shop Pro for 11 minutes, claiming they've detected a hypocrisy in my argument - if complaining about virtue signalling is a tactic to shut down criticism, isn't that what people do when they call you racist?
Apparently no-one told them that explaining that someone's ideas are bigoted is an actual piece of criticism, while telling someone they're wrong because they want to look like a nice person is not.

One more for now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7DGmrNMlko
The video's creator keeps coming onto my twitter asking me to respond to this. I think at one point on twitter he asked me to meet him in person to discuss it with him. (Yeah I just checked, the video ends with him asking expectantly to 'meet [me] in dialogue', whatever that means.) Their twitter is one long rhetorical trick, demanding people engage him in his version of a discussion, then when they give up or can't be bothered dealing with him any more, complain that they're clearly afraid of the truth and logic. I almost don't want to cover his video because I think it's really funny to blank people who demand attention like that.

I think there's more, and I know someone (vee?) did a long ranty video about how cultural marxism is real that references mine. I plan on covering responses to my work in a video at some point. The comments have been interesting. Earlier I was accused of not really thinking about the issues, of being too flippant. But for the last video I'm getting accused of sophistry. While it's possible I really am a dumb underthinky overthinker (in fact I know this is the case) I do enjoy seeing a full spectrum of complaints now being levelled. I feel like on some level I might be doing something right if I can be accused of both at once?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
By the way, Hbomb, I think I've found Rockin' Mr. E's day job:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Bread is for tankie bolsheviks. True free thinkers survive entirely on nibbling at the quotation marks they put around 'political correctness'.

• Locked thread