Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Icedude posted:

Even at 1/4 speed I still can't figure out what happened here :psyduck:

That explosion effect really looks like Junkrat's riptire. So it was a single ult denial (and it was, the killfeed wasn't showing anything about the Pharah killing anyone and she was apparently aiming at an invincible Zenyatta), combined with Torb's ult, followed by him promptly getting blown up by another ult.

Torbjorn activating an ult to stop an ult being fired at another person's ult, then promptly being blown up by an ult. Simple stuff.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Macaluso posted:

Does getting a loss even... do anything? Especially if you come into the end of a match that's a defeat you get little or no XP anyway right? I dunno why people care if you still get counted at a loss, you aren't punished for it

Went against a defense team that went 6 Torbs. We couldn't move the car more than a few inches. We couldn't destroy the turrets faster than they could go back up + the ults. I don't have any idea what to do or suggest to the group to do in that situation, even with the counters for them like Phara or Junkrat or Winston. And the range on the turrets is insane. It's the one "all X" composition that a group I've been in has never been able to beat.

We faced that on hanamura. Got point a easily, but b was a slog until we had 2 reinhardts to cover soldier and pharah clearing the turrets. Got a few ults up and staggered their respawn then it was over.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bluhman posted:

I tried using PTT in this game tonight, and god drat is it impossible to use with the default ` binding. I simply don't have time to press a button mid-game to inform everyone about key stuff like the tracer/reaper flanking us or the widowmaker ult or any of that crap. Dunno what it is; TF2's V seems more natural? But I so rarely used voice in that game I really don't know if that's the case, and I'm pretty sure that key has some other function in Overwatch I don't want to unbind.

I use M5 for in-game PTT but I generally use mumble anyway and I use capslock for that

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Also, Winston is considered a counter for torb turrets? That's news to me. I always considered torb turrets to be a counter for Winston.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wouldn't call either a counter to the other. Like yeah a Winston will beat a turret in a dps race, especially with his bubble, but there's much better things for him to be doing with his time when one of his teammates could burst it down in half a second from behind a bubble. I certainly don't think turrets are a counter to Winston though.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Countblanc posted:

I wouldn't call either a counter to the other. Like yeah a Winston will beat a turret in a dps race, especially with his bubble, but there's much better things for him to be doing with his time when one of his teammates could burst it down in half a second from behind a bubble. I certainly don't think turrets are a counter to Winston though.

They're a counter for bad Winstons, I guess. That would include me.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How does reaper even work? Shotguns can do good damage but only at close range to unarmored targets most of which are squishy already. And how am I supposed to sneak up on anyone with loud "death comes" and stompy boots. How do you accomplish anything with the reaper?

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013

Sanctum posted:

How does reaper even work? Shotguns can do good damage but only at close range to unarmored targets most of which are squishy already. And how am I supposed to sneak up on anyone with loud "death comes" and stompy boots. How do you accomplish anything with the reaper?

Play against deaf people, i never hear reaper coming from behind and get reamed

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Sanctum posted:

Simple early tactic: Teleport waaaay behind 'em, then cut down the enemy team from behind while they're distracted by a big firefight. Don't engage enemies one-on-one if you can avoid it. Come at enemies sideways while they're focused elsewhere.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

The random hero brawl is so great, finally I can play guys like Hanzo or Widow or Mei without thinking that I'm being slightly detrimental to my team. I played it yesterday evening for a few hours, and basically the only hero that made me go "poo poo I didn't want this" was Genji, and there's nothing wrong with Genji, it's just that I'm really bad with him at least until I get some mouse with more buttons and key binds that I'm more comfortable with. And of course, Symmetra and Toblerone are kinda bad in most attack scenarios, but that's just random and I'll make the most of it. Anyways, I'll probably skip the usual pre-made group quick plays this week for the most part, because the brawls will most likely just be boring gimmicks for the next 10 weeks.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 9, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The brawl gives less exp though, yeah?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Hmm, does it? I didn't get that kind of feeling, but I didn't look closely at the numbers. Felt normal to me. You can do it in a group too.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 9, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DeafAsianQT posted:

Play against deaf people, i never hear reaper coming from behind and get reamed
Speaking as a hearing impaired person this is 100% true. If footstep sounds are supposed to be a balancing thing for flankers then Blizzard really needs to add some sort of subtitle cue for it.

Verranicus posted:

I think so, but it's not as drastic as the drop from vs. AI play. It doesn't count towards your rankings or anything though.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Sanctum posted:

the shotguns do big dick damage to tanks, actually.

jkr266s
Feb 16, 2008

Sanctum posted:

If you crouch you make no footstep sounds, or they are at the very least incredibly quiet, haven't actually tested it for sure.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Sanctum posted:

You can do tons of damage to armored targets too. You have 8 shots before you have to reload, which is enough to kill any hero at close range.

You're not really trying to sneak up on people, but you want to surprise them. Shadowstep can move you into weird positions very quickly, so always come at an angle they don't expect. You can two-shot a Mercy/Zen/Symmetra if they're not paying attention. Don't be afraid to be patient. People can hear your Shadowstep so use it to cross gaps between doorways, or up onto ledges, and then just chill out for a second. Dumb teams will forget about you and smart teams will have to adjust their movements because they know you're behind their lines.

Wraith form actually has a really low cooldown, so don't be afraid to dive in, murder someone, and then just glide away.

Health orbs drop from any enemy, even ones you didnt kill, and they're great at keeping you topped off when you're behind enemy lines for a long time.

His ultimate is incredibly easy to use, just watch out for stuns. Shadowstep somewhere high, wait for you team to distract them, then drop down and activate it as your about to hit the ground. It does 400 damage over the duration so you can usually geek at least two people if you aim right.

I play Reaper like a skirmisher, like a slower heavier hitting Tracer. Constantly be behind their lines, Shadowstepping around. If you can't get kills at least try to bind them up so they have to be worried about attacks from two directions. If you get into a big fight don't be afraid to go for tanks, you can walk right through Reinhardt's shield and massacre him if you're in a big chaotic fight.

Don't forget that Wraith form removes all debuffs, even stuns and snares. (Though maybe not Junkrat trap?). If you're quick you can Wraith form out of a McCree stun and then you'll have an advantage on him. You can also pick up health packs in Wraith form.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Asimo posted:

Speaking as a hearing impaired person this is 100% true. If footstep sounds are supposed to be a balancing thing for flankers then Blizzard really needs to add some sort of subtitle cue for it.

Problem is that competitive people would probably enable the hearing impaired settings even though they can hear just fine. Of course, having either sound on OR subtitle cues would be easy to code, but anything between...

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
We just did a defense as 5 Tors and 1 Sym on Gibraltar and they could only get around the corner. I felt kinda bad for them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Reaper isn't quite 'stealth' so much as he's 'surprise'. You don't really need to creep on people, just like, pop out of a blind corner and unload your shotguns and pretty much anything dies fast enough for you to be able to ghost out of the fight.

You're less serial killer and more jumpscare, you might as well just yell BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA while shooting.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If you're not playing Reaper solely to sneak behind their lines and murder their Widowmakers, you're not playing him right.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Also as long as they're not mccree I don't really care if they know I'm there. I can still choose my engagements and easily disengage at will. If I get to start the fight close enough I'll easily enough outdps them and wraith away to a healthpack. Also if it's a huge fight over a checkpoint or something, just getting in the backline and taking care of their sniper and mercy is more than enough even if it gets me traded off quickly.

edit: Basically the thing is even if they know you're behind them, you should still be able to choose only the battles you can win.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Rocketlex posted:

Also, Winston is considered a counter for torb turrets? That's news to me. I always considered torb turrets to be a counter for Winston.

Yeah Winston is an awful pick against Torbs. High fire rate low damage attacks are poor against Torb's plentiful armor, low range attacks are awful at breaking turret nests, Torbs shotgun attack will kill Winston quite easily. Don't pick Winston against Torb stacks, it's a terrible idea.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sanctum posted:

The teleport really isn't supposed to be used to get right on top of people. It's supposed to be for going up terrain, crossing gaps or simply eating up a lot of ground forward (I love doing this on the first point of the Japanese cherry-blossom garden level, just blink past everyone and watch as they freak out because the point's being captured). It's not supposed to be used in front of people because it's relatively slow and leaves you vulnerable a good, long time. However a little creativity means you can get in some awkward places without being seen whereas Tracer would be seen a dozen different times reaching the same place.

If you want to teleport into someone's face popping Wraith Form is better for that, since you're invincible and have a speed boost, but it's still not good. It's better used for pushing through a choke point full of heavy fire (just run through fire and jump down a side path, you're immortal and you have a speed boost when using it) or best used for retreating when you're about to lose. It's also good for just sitting on the point: like Mei's ice-block you still count as capping/contesting a point even when imimortal.

Basically unlike Tracer, Reaper is not supposed to really teleport in front of the enemy. He's supposed to sneak around the edges, pop out to gank a surprised player or two (his 8 shotgun shots give him a lot more damage/longevity compared to Tracer) then retreat and try to find a new awkward angle to attack from. His teleport is slow but it allows him to cross the map and bounce back and forth on an enemy team's flank without them seeing him. Also for a hit-and-run flanker he's surprisingly good when fighting on points since points are usually confined area that his shotguns will do well on and any player that dies, friendly or enemy, will drop a 100 health globe for you to gobble up. And obviously Deathblossom is made for clearing points.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bolivar posted:

Problem is that competitive people would probably enable the hearing impaired settings even though they can hear just fine. Of course, having either sound on OR subtitle cues would be easy to code, but anything between...

Why is that a problem?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

If you're not playing Reaper solely to sneak behind their lines and murder their Widowmakers, you're not playing him right.

Unless she has a mine in between you and her, or has her ult, or has her hook off cooldown.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Countblanc posted:

Why is that a problem?

Having options that are literally required for high level play is generally a bad idea and should be kept to a minimum, not to mention that the principle of needing to abuse such options that were intended for the impaired never makes people feel good.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Unless she has a mine in between you and her, or has her ult, or has her hook off cooldown.

Can't you shoot the mine? I'm pretty sure I've shot them.

I'm also pretty sure I've walked over about four times as many mines like an idiot as I have seen and shot, and still killed the oblivious Widowmaker.

You're assuming the Widowmaker isn't in 1337-sniper mode and isn't completely focused on her rifle sight. Like any sniper class you can safely assume they're totally oblivious 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time though you're probably fighting a player good enough to suck most of the fun out of the round anyways.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Still, I hardly think it's worth hand-wringing over something that's going to help a subset of people who currently are at a significant disadvantage play the game. People have been turning down graphics settings and reducing game music/increasing game sound audio for decades, I'm not going to lose any sleep over having a tiny bit more visual information on screen that's going to facilitate a more inclusive game.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Countblanc posted:

Still, I hardly think it's worth hand-wringing over something that's going to help a subset of people who currently are at a significant disadvantage play the game. People have been turning down graphics settings and reducing game music/increasing game sound audio for decades, I'm not going to lose any sleep over having a tiny bit more visual information on screen that's going to facilitate a more inclusive game.

The things people do to Counter-Strike still make me feel gross all over.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Can't you shoot the mine? I'm pretty sure I've shot them.

Yeah, but it warns her when her mine has been destroyed, which is ridiculous.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i dont want roadhog skins game!!!!!!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you can consistently gank a widowmaker as a reaper then that widowmaker probably wasn't worth ganking in the first place

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lady Naga posted:

The things people do to Counter-Strike still make me feel gross all over.

Look man if your TF2 doesn't look like this I don't know how you can even call yourself a gamer

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Countblanc posted:

Look man if your TF2 doesn't look like this I don't know how you can even call yourself a gamer

Even the tf2 stuff is perfectly fine to me (hell, I ran it on n64 settings for quite a while because I had a midrange graphics card and wanted M-M-MAXIMUM FPS) but deliberately playing on a lower resolution and the wrong aspect ratio and blowing it up is just aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
My TV doesn't really have good enough speakers for footstep cues to be helpful for me. If they're really that important, it seems like a weird thing to hinge game balance on.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Some CS people still use 4:3 monitors and I just can't abide by that.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Good reapers avoid the mine and headshot her before she even sees you :3:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Yeah, but it warns her when her mine has been destroyed, which is ridiculous.
It's consistent with all the other deployables there so I can't really fault Blizzard for doing it. It's just Widowmaker is in a crazy different position balance-wise from Torb/Junkrat/Symmetra.

Rocketlex posted:

My TV doesn't really have good enough speakers for footstep cues to be helpful for me. If they're really that important, it seems like a weird thing to hinge game balance on.
It's not... critical I guess, for casual play? But considering the number of people who say it's the best way to counter Reaper and other flankers (up to and including Blizzard including help tips about it and making louder footsteps a specific mechanic for on fire players) it's certainly a bad thing to not have access to.

Lady Naga posted:

Some CS people still use 4:3 monitors and I just can't abide by that.
C... can't you just use a 4:3 letterboxed resolution on a modern monitor if you were brain damaged enough to really want it...?

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Teikanmi posted:

Good reapers avoid the mine and headshot her before she even sees you :3:

Good widows hear reaper's super loud footsteps before he gets close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Asimo posted:

It's consistent with all the other deployables there so I can't really fault Blizzard for doing it. It's just Widowmaker is in a crazy different position balance-wise from Torb/Junkrat/Symmetra.

It's not... critical I guess, for casual play? But considering the number of people who say it's the best way to counter Reaper and other flankers (up to and including Blizzard including help tips about it and making louder footsteps a specific mechanic for on fire players) it's certainly a bad thing to not have access to.

C... can't you just use a 4:3 letterboxed resolution on a modern monitor if you were brain damaged enough to really want it...?

http://on-winning.com/cs-go-config-setup-settings-monitor-mice-sensitivity-pros/

400 dollar monitors and they choose to play them in stretched 4:3.