Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nippythefish posted:

Hey, you were the guy that got that 5 billion credit bug, right? I still don't have anywhere close to that. :gonk:

Welcome back. As with most games, goons are what make it fun. I couldn't imagine playing this game without someone giving me direction, but it's that direction that makes it worthwhile. Definitely hop into the PGS thread to get a better sense of what we're doing.

Well yeah, I mean I'm already annoyed as hell at this game and its utter lack of content but even I have to admit that playing with goons makes this game worth it, just like any other on-the-face terrible game. You will have fun in the Diamond Frogs, that's a guarantee. Too bad you're also guaranteed to not have a very fun time just playing the game any appreciable length of time without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Found the post, from Jan 2, 2015.

Ambaire posted:

Frontier, you done hosed up. Keep in mind I only started playing this game about 3 days ago, and been in solo mode 100% of that time as I learn how to play the game. Last night, thanks to the server troubles, one of my modules bugged out and let me sell it for about 4.5 billion credits or something insane. This morning, I log on and it actually sold for that much; I had over 5 billion credits.

So, I did the obvious and went and bought myself an Anaconda for shits and giggles.

I know this will be most likely rolled back but the absurdity of having this so early is killing me. What shall I do with it? In addition to top tier armaments I also put 2 med mining lasers and a 10 slot refinery.. I have over 4 billion credits left...
Edit:

e. oh man, that old ship fitting screen. You know, I think I liked it better than the new one. I checked my assets and I have a vulture with 3A beam lasers and 22 million credits.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 8, 2016

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Ambaire posted:

oh man, that old ship fitting screen. You know, I think I liked it better than the new one. I checked my assets and I have a vulture with 3A beam lasers and 22 million credits.

not bad, although I'd switch those beams for pulses and beef up your shields with shield boosters instead. Get rid of any SCB's you might have, since they've been nerfed to the point where you have to use them in conjunction with heat sinks (plus they have a delay now). Check the OP of the PGS thread for our Discord information and you'll be able to wing up with goons and shoot poo poo.

e: you could also go one beam one MC, but I tried this loadout and found more success with just lasers. Individual results my vary.

nippythefish fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 8, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

nippythefish posted:

not bad, although I'd switch those beams for pulses and beef up your shields with shield boosters instead. Get rid of any SCB's you might have, since they've been nerfed to the point where you have to use them in conjunction with heat sinks (plus they have a delay now). Check the OP of the PGS thread for our Discord information and you'll be able to wing up with goons and shoot poo poo.

e: you could also go one beam one MC, but I tried this loadout and found more success with just lasers. Individual results my vary.

SCB's?

e. checked the ship fitting, this is what I got total. 3C not A beams.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 8, 2016

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Shield Cell Boosters. One-button shield recharging modules. The 4A SCB on my FdL sends my ship's temperature up to 170% if I don't launch a heat sink at the same time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I love all the hamfisted balancing acts they've done with the SCB system rather than the sensible step of just having them be limited to one per ship.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I love all the hamfisted balancing acts they've done with the SCB system rather than the sensible step of just having them be limited to one per ship.

god, that would be nice.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Clearly the lore friendly reason is a resupply scam :pseudo:

"What's that son? You want a 36 second scoop time on your Asp Explorer? That will be 28 Million credits! What? TWO scoops? What do you think this is, Raisin Bran!?"

On that note, is there anything but Fuel scoops and shield generators (Shields! The other renewable resource!) that are One Per Ship?

More SCBS meanwhile, mean more money. Money to buy more SCBs. Money to buy more ammo for them. Money to pay for the extra ammo you blew through trying to break through someone's SCBs. It's the greatest marketing strategy since charging people to buy exploration data for populated systems they haven't visited personally!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 8, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Back in the day shield strength was determined by how many generators you packed onto your ship, if I recall correctly.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Can I have multiple ships setup in a garage yet?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Krataar posted:

Can I have multiple ships setup in a garage yet?

You've always been able to do this.

Or is this some esoteric way of asking for a thing you know isn't in the game as an avenue to shitpost about it?

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Ambaire posted:

e. checked the ship fitting, this is what I got total. 3C not A beams.

weapons don't have E through A like other modules do. 3C/F is the fixed large hardpoint beam. I'd switch those to one beam, one MC, or two large pulses. Also, buy the D class life support. Always upgrade from E to at least D. It's lighter and allows you to remove a lot of the mass from your ship, which helps you jump further. Here's my Vulture build, which has suited me for a very long time.
https://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/2patfFalddksif31e1e00040404B22b2o6625.Iw19kA==.EwBhEYy6uSg=?bn=Irritable%20Doorstop

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

No shitpost. I just remember last time I played this i couldn't have my configured freighter, explorer, and combat ship in the same station or something like that.

Am I just retarded?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Krataar posted:

No shitpost. I just remember last time I played this i couldn't have my configured freighter, explorer, and combat ship in the same station or something like that.

Am I just retarded?

There was a bug I think, where the game flipped out if you had more than one ship of the same class in a station. Like two Adders or something. Aside from that, you could always do this.

Edit:

Or was the last time you played during the Beta? Maybe you couldn't store multiple ships at first and at some point before release in 2014 it was added in?

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 8, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think he's asking about switching equipment between ships that isn't a batshit crazy process involving selling stuff to the station and buying it back.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Interesting video on NPC AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0JnMF5hDfQ

Gotta say I agree with him, after they removed them having mods and fixed the weapon bug, I no longer really agree with people complaining about the AI difficulty (in general). I'd say they did a good job.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

AI is still hella predictable though. Viper III's are the most blatant offenders.

"Why yes I would like to motor about in a lazy oval as the ship I'm fighting tries to get on my rear end and boosts whenever it reaches a certain point in my firing arc. My turrets will kill it eventually."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AI is still hella predictable though. Viper III's are the most blatant offenders.

"Why yes I would like to motor about in a lazy oval as the ship I'm fighting tries to get on my rear end and boosts whenever it reaches a certain point in my firing arc. My turrets will kill it eventually."

To be fair, if that ship was piloted by me, the AI would be right. :v:

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I haven't played in like 2 years. Might try it out again.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I was heading back to base in a mining fitted Asp few days ago and I got interdicted by a deadly rated Courier. I tried fighting him but he was much more nimble than I and managed to take my shields down with a huge barrage of missiles. Eventually I did manage to land a few shots on him but his shields held firm, since I was only armed with 2 medium pulses. In the end I jink and jived like mad and managed to jump out, with 50% of my hull.

My pride was hurt and I was angry, so I went looking for trouible.I ran into a Imp Eagle in an Asteroid field and thought "no problem", he was wanted and I knew that he would attack me, so it seemed natural to strike first. I managed to get behind him and took his shields down with a few well placed shots. They were the only shots I managed to land, since I couldn't even draw a bead on him once he knew he was in a fight. Eventually I managed to get away but with 12% hull left. I think he was using PACs

Before the update I could have taken on both ships with confidence, the Eagle would not even have given me pause for thought. In these latest battles, the ships acted as they should, I in my lumbering trade/mining optimised ship was easy pickings for skilled pilots in combat fitted ships. As it should be.

All they need to do is up the rewards.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm just going to leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1oBDQHhfM

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

I halped make this :3

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

This 100% reaffirms my decision to buy a gunship yesterday

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

This 100% reaffirms my decision to buy a gunship yesterday

Yes it requires some skill with FA-off but the dakka game is on point.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Will an all-kinetic build get through shields?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Seven of them do :haw:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
This is why the God-Emperor of Man invented incendiary ammo. Slap extended ammo upgrades on all those multicannons and pray to get incendiaries - those deal both kinetic and thermal damage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seven of them do :haw:

Its not enough though. More dakka is necessary.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
:orks: NEVA ENUFF DAKKA :orks101:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Well I'm convinced. Who can argue with Ahnuld?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

hobbesmaster posted:

Its not enough though. More dakka is necessary.

Paint it red. It'll go faster.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Yes it requires some skill with FA-off

Well then I guess it's time to git gud or :frogout:

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

As a tentative new player, is it worth diving into the game now? This bug of incessant interdictions by high-powered pirates has me spooked. Also the broken mission boards.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Interdictions are really not that bad, and most of the pirate issues were a bug that was fixed/design that was reversed.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I've been doing basically this since the gunship dropped. Sold it so I could rebuy a Python cause I wanted to fly one again but I imagine it's even more fun now that large MCs and incendiary ammo exists.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES
the creator of that video is one of the worst brown sea posters, but I might have to buy a gunship now.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Well, spent near two days trying to locate 2 Polonium to upgrade my drive range to grade 5 from grade 4.

Got two a percent increase in optimal mass. 0.4 light years.

gently caress RNG. Just gently caress it. Give us value for effort.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Experimental Skin posted:

Well, spent near two days trying to locate 2 Polonium to upgrade my drive range to grade 5 from grade 4.

Got two a percent increase in optimal mass. 0.4 light years.

gently caress RNG. Just gently caress it. Give us value for effort.

Upgrading optimal mass is just half the puzzle, you then drop the mass on your other parts and you should see a nice jump in effect.

Also a general note for everyone doing mods: You don't need to grind straight to rank 5! Throw on a ton of rank 1 and rank 2 mods for waaaay less effort to start.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Where is the cheapest place to buy this? Reading about Dangerous Games seems like they are trying to make this into a less sperglord EVE online. When I first heard about this game I figured it would get support dropped soon after launch, but it seems they are in this one for the long haul.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Space Skeleton posted:

Upgrading optimal mass is just half the puzzle, you then drop the mass on your other parts and you should see a nice jump in effect

Yes, that's understood. Me point was, from a potential increase of 14% after two days tootling about cracking rocks I'm given 2%. It's effectively wasted my two days.

• Locked thread