Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No one told me housing prices wouldn't go up forever!
No one told me I'd need a new financed truck every 2 years to feel virile !
No one told me pulling out all my guaranteed pension and putting into home improvements and consumer spending and lovely investments that explicitly stated the funds were locked in would ruin me!
No one told me gearing our entire economy towards oil and housing would ruin loving everything!

We are all uninformed victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Baronjutter posted:

We are all uninformed victims.

Well, none of us actually asked to be born...

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

eXXon posted:

I like the sociopathic use of positive adjectives like "strong" to describe the "health" of housing markets, as if wild price growth is a good thing.

Well "strong" growth is a lot less panic inducing than "malignant" growth, but you could use either one to describe housing prices.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

cowofwar posted:

No one told me that my waterfront property was on the waterfront!

This is the condo being built at the end of my street. On the right side it is literally over the ocean. A unit can be yours for only $850,000

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm planning on investing in firearms

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I'm planning on investing in firearms

Wise. SKS is a good choice, used by Soviet conscripts, and still encountered to this day. Buy a few crates of ammo too! Be prepared. Canned food would be a good investment. (Christ, I'm channelling my father).

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quaint bucket posted:

Did the Ontario Teacher Federation run into some issues with their pensions?

Not recently. The only issue they're facing right now is how to manage a plan where their members are living longer than they spend time working. Otherwise they've been arguably one of the best plans in the country.

The thing is not all pension plans are equal. A lot of single employer Defined Benefit plans can tank pretty easily for a variety of reasons: employers can take contribution holidays when times are good expecting investments returns to cover the gap, unions can negotiate lower contributions during contract negotiations regardless of how it affects the plan, or the company/government used to be able to raid a fund. Laws have were developed to prevent that happening in most sectors hat so that's not possible anymore. Ontario under the Rae government declared certain large manufacturing companies Too Big To Fail which exempted them from certain restrictions and pension law. That went about as well as you'd expect.

Jointly sponsored multi-employer plans generally are better run and tend to be largely in a surplus position even after 2008. They've got a big enough pool of money that they can invest in big infrastructure projects which provide good, long term returns, and their investments are spread out to minimize risk. A lot of it comes down to how these companies are run, and how tight pension laws are in the particular country/province/state.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 9, 2016

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Dreylad posted:

Not recently. The only issue they're facing right now is how to manage a plan where their members are living longer than they spend time working. Otherwise they've been arguably one of the best plans in the country.

The kicker is that you can collect on OTP and continue teaching as a substitute/part time. Because the older teachers are more experienced, they tend to get the substitute work over junior teachers. This is a big part of why it is so difficult for young teachers to find work. loving boomers.

But yeah, OTP is one of the best run pension plans in the country - if not the best.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Saltin posted:

The kicker is that you can collect on OTP and continue teaching as a substitute/part time. Because the older teachers are more experienced, they tend to get the substitute work over junior teachers. This is a big part of why it is so difficult for young teachers to find work. loving boomers.

But yeah, OTP is one of the best run pension plans in the country - if not the best.

Double Dippers.

OTPP has invested quite a bit recently in international infrastructure and is getting healthy returns.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Dreylad posted:

Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

We're middle east famous baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se8OvDwgTFs

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

4 years of nursing education

You can clean up after patients and distribute meds that a DOCTOR (who actually went to school to learn about medicine) prescribes.

I also went through schooling, but I would never give you medical advice because I'm not a doctor. I could give you some financial advice, but I'm not a firefighter so that's up to you to determine whether I'm qualified.

you are qualified at being loving retarded lol, you have no idea what you are talking about.

anyways people here should stick to talking about the actual topic of the thread or their own chosen professions cause you all sound like complete idiots.

DUuurRR nurses and firefighters are awful and stupid right guys?! if only they could be as smart as me, a full stack 6 figgy computer man with a severe hayweed allergy.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
My mind is blown about the "why didn't anyone tell meeeee?"

I kinda figured knowing that "storms can make the ocean angry" was pretty well understood by most children.

Combined with being an adult who has been hearing for at least the last 20 years or more that "sea levels will rise and storms will get more powerful and frequent"... Uhhg.

We're loving doomed.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

The Butcher posted:

My mind is blown about the "why didn't anyone tell meeeee?"

I kinda figured knowing that "storms can make the ocean angry" was pretty well understood by most children.

Combined with being an adult who has been hearing for at least the last 20 years or more that "sea levels will rise and storms will get more powerful and frequent"... Uhhg.

We're loving doomed.

As someone who has lived near the ocean his entire life and spent a lot of time in it, I'm always astonished when people ask if I'm afraid of sharks. The water itself is the most dangerous part of the ocean, that poo poo scares me far more than sharks. People just don't get how much energy the ocean projects on everything and without mercy on even superficially calm days.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MickeyFinn posted:

As someone who has lived near the ocean his entire life and spent a lot of time in it, I'm always astonished when people ask if I'm afraid of sharks. The water itself is the most dangerous part of the ocean, that poo poo scares me far more than sharks. People just don't get how much energy the ocean projects on everything and without mercy on even superficially calm days.

That and jellyfish. gently caress jellyfish.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

PT6A posted:

That and jellyfish. gently caress jellyfish.

Super gently caress them.

But yes, water is the biggest cause of concern. We got properties along the nechanko River that's dealing with soil erosion on the edge.

I think one property lost 1 metre of his land due to the river in 1 month alone.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quaint bucket posted:

I think one property lost 1 metre of his land due to the river in 1 month alone.

A meter you say?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/a-massive-ontario-landslide-washed-away-a-cottage-and-wiped-out-10-hectares-of-land-overnight

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ban AirBNB but enshrine negative gearing, let's get this bubble working into OT.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I've been pretty circumspect about calling a top since I first started yelling about this topic on here in 2009, but I smell the poo poo tsunami coming.

Again, I think this beast could chug along on fumes for a surprising amount of time yet, but I think we've finally started the fall. China looks proper hosed and Poloz just called Vancouver and Toronto dangerously overvalued. :allears:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Franks Happy Place posted:

I've been pretty circumspect about calling a top since I first started yelling about this topic on here in 2009, but I smell the poo poo tsunami coming.

Again, I think this beast could chug along on fumes for a surprising amount of time yet, but I think we've finally started the fall. China looks proper hosed and Poloz just called Vancouver and Toronto dangerously overvalued. :allears:

Yeah it's weird, the tone seems to have changed from "there's no bubble" and "it'll be a soft landing, don't worry"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

Ban AirBNB but enshrine negative gearing, let's get this bubble working into OT.

Re: AirBnB, I was reminded today I was supposed to leave a 10% tip for the maids in my hotel room by custom (it's been a long time since I stayed in a North American hotel, I forgot). Do you think part of the fondness for lovely "disruptive" businesses is also that people are loving sick of North American tipping culture and these businesses are doing away with it?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'd say you're on to something! Afaik Spain doesn't do tipping, could you maybe shed some light on that particular aspect of Spanish culture? You seem knowledgeable about the region.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I hosted an elderly Chinese couple from Vancouver a couple of days ago. The arrived left their bags, took off, and didn't come back until late in the night. Next morning they took off before I had a chance to see them so I didn't get to say 2 words to them for the entire time. They left a $5 bill on the dresser. First tip I've ever received in my life. :unsmith:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never stayed at a hotel in north america so I have no idea what the tipping culture is here. I'm planning a small roadtrip that might involve a couple motels and now I'm paranoid I'm going to get my... sheets spat in? Considering the lack of anything other than the most superficial cleaning that goes on in hotels this probably isn't big deal.

When we stayed in an AIRBNB in Netherlands we actually left the apartment cleaner than we found it and bought a couple extra minor kitchen tools it was lacking, the owner was extremely thankful. As a traveler AirBnB is amazing, but brutally enforce zoning bylaws related to it in my own home town!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Please don't poo poo this thread up with tipping bullshit.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Saltin posted:

Not only do they have more experience, they also have the connections with administrators that get them in over young teachers.

Here in NS they have a certain number of days they can work before it affects their pension, 59.5 days or something. A common complaint I've heard is that they cannot afford to live on their pensions and didn't plan for the reduced income, as if they never saw it coming and I'm supposed to feel bad for them. Most retired teachers come in until they reach the point where they're working for free, then stop.

Except for the fanatics. They're the ones that they warned us about in Education, the ones who let their job become everything about themselves to the point they cannot conceive of the school operating without them, and they almost feel obligated to keep coming into work because what would they do without them? Besides, they don't have anything like hobbies at home, so they work every day they can and go to school with a smile on their face.

Cathy is like that. I liked Cathy when she was teacher, now that she's a Fanatic Retired Sub I hate her with every fiber of my being.

When she complains that the students were terrible to her? Stop subbing.

She refuses to go back to another school because of how she thinks it's being run? Stop subbing.

I could have screamed the day she told me she cares for young teachers and wants them to get experience. She pointed out that when she was a teacher she would have the principal put her daughter in for her whenever she had to take a day off.

gently caress I hate Boomer Teachers, especially Cathy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I've never stayed at a hotel in north america so I have no idea what the tipping culture is here. I'm planning a small roadtrip that might involve a couple motels and now I'm paranoid I'm going to get my... sheets spat in? Considering the lack of anything other than the most superficial cleaning that goes on in hotels this probably isn't big deal.

No, you'll be fine, I'm just pointing out that two of the most "disrupted" industries are ones where you're expected to tip, but unlike servers in restaurants, they get paid a wage that does not assume they will be tipped on a regular basis.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You're expected to tip cabbies and chambermaids because the industries are so exploitative hth

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've been to Europe, do you think the debt bubble is fueled by tips?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Saltin posted:

The somewhat morbid flip side to this is HOOP will probably always do quite well because nurses (the vast majority of their members) tend to die soon after retiring.

But yeah, I know a guy who is in his 80s and still goes in for substitute teaching. The weird part is he fully acknowledges that Boomers were lucky and young people today got a raw deal. Man, you're part of the problem!

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 10, 2016

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Franks Happy Place posted:

I think that for most folks with even a cursory knowledge of economics, when they see the graph change into shooting-straight-into-the-moon mode they start getting a little nervous.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Butcher posted:

I think that for most folks with even a cursory knowledge of economics, when they see the graph change into shooting-straight-into-the-moon mode they start getting a little nervous.

I think you overestimate the average Canadian.

By a lot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

You're expected to tip cabbies and chambermaids because the industries are so exploitative hth

Why should the consumer be expected to make up the difference personally, in a way that can't even be written off or expensed, then? Obviously, we should punish these industries until they pay their workers properly.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Furnaceface posted:

I think you overestimate the average Canadian.

By a lot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

Why should the consumer be expected to make up the difference personally, in a way that can't even be written off or expensed, then? Obviously, we should punish these industries until they pay their workers properly.

You can't expense tips? Are you tipping so much that it's above the receipt-required threshold?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Average person can't interpret any graph. It looks like moon language to them.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

cowofwar posted:

Average person can't interpret any graph. It looks like moon language to them.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

I'm dying laughing! Where did you get this?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Saltin posted:

OTP is maybe the best run capital investment company in the world even if they will admit they need a recapitalization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Walrus covered OTP a few years back and interviewed a few teachers who objected to their contribution rates and took the commuted value out so they could take control of their retirement savings. They all ended up like that NS firefighter.