Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

what the gently caress indeed :stare:

can't say i saw that coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
HOLY gently caress

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
The properties of rubber and gum really are spectacular.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
I :love: Hisoka.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wow, nothing can beat something with the properties of both rubber and gum.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
No one likes a sore loser, Hisoka.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That was a turn I wasn't expecting but this is going better than I could have imagined.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol. not sure which bit of the chapter was more ridiculous

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, so, I don't remember if I posted it here but I had been thinking that Chrollo wins, Troupe goes after the boat was a possibility. I did not, however, predict murder-zombie Hisoka chasing them down out of revenge. That is amazing. As is post-revival Hisoka's face, holy poo poo that was great.

I do like being right that Hisoka was going to lose here though. As I said, given everything that happened and how he walked face-first into a trap, he completely deserved this loss. I was wrong about him bringing himself back, but, well. I don't think anyone could have predicted this.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Well I guess his aura does

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

The properties of rubber and gum really are spectacular.

Gyges posted:

Wow, nothing can beat something with the properties of both rubber and gum.

GODDAMN IT :argh:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
He's doing it to take away Chrollo's stolen abilities for the rematch

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the properties of whatever the gently caress he wants apparently

won't he have to manipulate the rubber foot and hand using nen still?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
what the fuuuuuuuuu

that's a nice smile hisoka! :eyepop:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Relin posted:

the properties of whatever the gently caress he wants apparently

won't he have to manipulate the rubber foot and hand using nen still?

Yes. Also it's not a perfect imitation; notice his foot squishing as he walks out of the bathroom with Kortopi's head. Also also RIP Kortopi and Shalnark.

Wild Horses posted:

what the fuuuuuuuuu

that's a nice smile hisoka! :eyepop:

Hell yes, that page made this chapter for me.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

He looks like Shin from dorohedoro, shame he fixed his face so quickly

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hot drat, this is way better than expected. This once again shows just how over the top idgaf Hisoka is about anything, including his own death jesus.

The only dumb thing is how he didn't let machi heal him before he went after the rest of the spiders. I mean, rubber limbs are propably really convenient and a great addition to his bag of tricks; "Oh no you just took my leg off. Oh wait it was gone anyway hahaha", but you have to constantly control it. I bet he can get healed through some other way anyhow though.

Anyway, I honestly expected the spider to be involved in the continent arc some way, so now we know how. Now the only one's that are missing are gon and killua, and I kinda expect at least gon to join, even if killua is propably not going to get involved because of his brother.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

Yes. Also it's not a perfect imitation; notice his foot squishing as he walks out of the bathroom with Kortopi's head. Also also RIP Kortopi and Shalnark.

I took it to mean that he noticed Shalnark and turned his nen foot into a rubber bouncepad to jump over to Shalnark superfast.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

alkanphel posted:

I took it to mean that he noticed Shalnark and turned his nen foot into a rubber bouncepad to jump over to Shalnark superfast.

Oh, maybe. That's a possibility. Doesn't negate the earlier bit about control, but that is an interesting thought.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's how I interpreted it too.

I'm a bit confused about his motivations. From the way he says "You got it all wrong, I'm actually fighting my enemies unprepared" it sounds like his plan was to kill the troupe all along. Fight Chrollo with the troupe's powers > Possibly win > defeat the rest of the troupe who's now handicapped. The "win" part didn't go through but yeah.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Hahaha, Hisoka the based gawd.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God drat what a chapter.

So did he have some master plan to get chrollo to steal the troupe's powers so he could knock them off one by one? Or maybe there was some condition I forgot about where the stolen power user has to be alive?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Did he just immobilize Machi there instead of killing her?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Never has the title of this thread been more appropriate than it is now.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I've said it before but god drat do I love this comic. This fight went in a better direction than I could have possibly imagined.

(Also some A+ Machi face this week.)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Cool poo poo is happening that doesn't just feel like setup for a future conflict 3 hiatuses down the line and I'm actually following it week by week. Am I actually reading HxH? I kinda want the hiatus to roll around already so I can just stop dreading it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

Yep, that was a supremely dick move.

"Thanks for everything so far, Machi. Welp, off I go to kill all your friends! Take care!"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Laughing Zealot posted:

Yeah, pretty sure she's supposed to be the messenger. A quick "we're not done yet" to Chrollo and the crew, if you may.

Man, that was a weird chapter. Rubber and gum truly can do whatever the gently caress Hisoka wants them to, even literally revive him - and now we're getting the Spiders into the boat with Kurapika and the murderous clown that will be going after them. I can't wait for the clusterfuck.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't remember does Chrollo lose an ability he's stolen if the previous owner dies? I thought Shalnark's power could be used with any phone but it doesn't come across that way

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Jose posted:

I can't remember does Chrollo lose an ability he's stolen if the previous owner dies? I thought Shalnark's power could be used with any phone but it doesn't come across that way

Yes he does, it was specified as a limitation way back in the Yorkshin arc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Cool poo poo is happening that doesn't just feel like setup for a future conflict 3 hiatuses down the line and I'm actually following it week by week. Am I actually reading HxH? I kinda want the hiatus to roll around already so I can just stop dreading it.

Togashi's apparently been dieting and doing exercise(!) so he may be trying to keep up his health now. That is, at least based on the latest author comments.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Elentor posted:

Yeah that's how I interpreted it too.

I'm a bit confused about his motivations. From the way he says "You got it all wrong, I'm actually fighting my enemies unprepared" it sounds like his plan was to kill the troupe all along. Fight Chrollo with the troupe's powers > Possibly win > defeat the rest of the troupe who's now handicapped. The "win" part didn't go through but yeah.

The way I saw it:

Hisoka thought his opponent was Chrollo, but during the match he quickly found out his opponent was potentially the entire Troupe. Therefore, try to reset then go with a different strategy. Kill the troupe, Chrollo loses those powers, go after other ability owners(?), go after Chrollo.

He got lucky he died of asphyxiation instead of explosion. That allowed his nen to resuscitate him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

Togashi's apparently been dieting and doing exercise(!) so he may be trying to keep up his health now. That is, at least based on the latest author comments.

Yeah. His health sounds awful but he's working on it, which is good. I hope he gets better, not just because of the series but for his own sake and all that. Guy sounds like he's been having a rough time, he deserves a break.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mikl posted:

Yes he does, it was specified as a limitation way back in the Yorkshin arc.

Wait, then how is he using the Sun/Moon ability. I thought that whole things shtick was that it was such a powerful move that it stuck around after his death? Which also brings into question how Chrollo got it in the first place. Unless I misread that section and it was just talking about how the marks stick around after death.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
What were the little Killua panels meant to signify?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
that togashi along with many manga artists has sameface disease

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Crain posted:

Wait, then how is he using the Sun/Moon ability. I thought that whole things shtick was that it was such a powerful move that it stuck around after his death? Which also brings into question how Chrollo got it in the first place. Unless I misread that section and it was just talking about how the marks stick around after death.

That was a special ability, the owner's motivation was far too strong to leave, even after death. compare with pitou's resurrection in the ant arc, you need extreme emotional drive for that to happen. Don't think shalnark or kurotopi had that anchor before they died, but togashi might do it. Nen does get stronger after death, but the elder in meteor city was a sort of protecting figure of vengeance, and his ability was perfect for staying after death.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relin posted:

See: All of Saint Seiya characters.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Crain posted:

Sun/Moon specifically lingered after death as a curse. Because it was bound to his book before the owner died it persisted afterwards that's the loophole that Chrollo encountered, but it was an unexpected one which means he was prepared to lose the ability at some point. No idea how he got it first though, but since it belonged to the leader of Meteor city we can assume Chrollo was either gifted it or stole it. Probably the former imo.

Am I the only one disappointed with how Hisoka managed to pull off a nen curse so easily? It's cool don't get me wrong but throughout the entire series we've only seen two nen curses and Pitou's Terpsichore felt much more believable than Hisoka's given how much led up to that. Hisoka basically does the equivalent of "Hey aura, do this after I die" and it works seemingly circumventing brain damage that would occur from lack of oxygen to the brain and other trauma.

I do like him going all slasher on the Troupe but it feels kind of cheap how he lived and reminds me that he's Togashi's pet character.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
So, Kurapika just got a new best friend then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Relin posted:

Oh poo poo, obviously rushed reading on my part. They were Machi panels and I was going off hairstyles more than anything. Thought maybe Hisoka was thinking of Killua and/or was signifying this was something Killua had done in the past.