Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Azazell0 posted:

I just started the endgame and let me just say that The Land of a Thousand Fables came right outta nowhere. :psyduck:

And I'm not even finished yet.

Watch out for Goldilocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok so I just bought the DLC thinking I'm far enough in the game to do them

Turns out I just got to Skellige. HOW. I'm dozens of hours in

I did do pretty much every sidequest I could before I went over though

The main game is like 80 hours long if you're even vaguely completionist about doing sidequests (not counting all the treasure hunts etc).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

The main game is like 80 hours long if you're even vaguely completionist about doing sidequests (not counting all the treasure hunts etc).

I already have a semi-upgraded set of cat armor and that took a lot of time to be fair

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

B&W DLC endgame spoilers: the fight with Dettlaff leaves me just stumped. I can't get any hits in when he goes into second phase and his big bat attack just annihilates me.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 9, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

Main story endgame spoilers: the fight with Dettlaff leaves me just stumped. I can't get any hits in when he goes into second phase and his big bat attack just annihilates me.

Run as far away as possible. You can fairly easily roll out of the way but only if you have plenty of time to see it coming.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

StoneOfShame posted:

I looked it up and some are saying that either doing the five quests before hand or having the Witcher 1 save will work some aren't even full quests for one you just have to tip the messenger boy who brings you the quest maybe Comte could confirm so we dont argue this forever.

Using a W1 save doesn't matter, I'm using one. By the time you get the quest you could easily have completed the 5 virtues because they will count whether you get the quest first or not. Each virtue has at least 2 methods of getting them either via a choice in a sidequest or a choice in the main blood/wine quest.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Regy Rusty posted:

Run as far away as possible. You can fairly easily roll out of the way but only if you have plenty of time to see it coming.

Rolling is definitely the way to go, and you need to roll quite late in the attack - there's a big build-up before it's actually going to hurt you.

The good news is that stage 3 is super easy.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Azazell0 posted:

Main story endgame spoilers: the fight with Dettlaff leaves me just stumped. I can't get any hits in when he goes into second phase and his big bat attack just annihilates me.

In my opinion it's much easier to avoid the attack via running rather than trying to roll. When you see him go airborne, walk slowly away so you build stamina. Then just hold the run button and go perpendicular, and his attack won't hit you.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I managed to get through and got the ending where the sisters reconciled. I didn't tell Damien or Anna about who the fifth victim was supposed to be. Would it have changed things if I had? But, I figured out I didn't want to get her executed anyway.

e: Poor Regis though, after all Dettlaff did for him, and after all he did for me. I'll always think of him as my awesome vampire-bro.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 9, 2016

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Azazell0 posted:

You can get a good amount of hits in if your have the Yrden damage ability, or its magic trap alternate. If you put it down when he's about to do his swooping attack, it will knock him out of the air, and he'll just stand there dazed for a while, and you can just wale on him.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Can anyone think of some out of the way quests that might be missed if you don't go exploring every ? on the map? I just did Equine Phantoms (which was awesome) but I probably would have missed if I didn't see it mentioned in this thread then google where to start it. I'm pretty sure I've done all the notice board quests for B&W. Also there was a woman yelling for Geralt near where you come out of the Hare Hunt quest but I went past it figuring I'd come back later but the quest marker is gone.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I'm just starting Blood and Wine but I also didn't do Hearts of Stone so I did that first. What an awesome story. The devs just killed it. I was pretty enthralled the entire time, and the entire part with the big painted house had a good creepy atmosphere.

I've literally just started Blood and Wine but so far I've noticed two things. One, it's already gorgeous in this new place and two: Geralt has NO place in this fairy tale land with knights in shining armor and poo poo, which makes it hilarious. Also I currently have a shovel that restores health equipped as my non-monster weapon thanks to Hearts of Stone so that's cool as well :buddy:

edit: Oh and am I crazy or does the game just straight up make fun of Slenderman at the very beginning of this expansion

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

There are a bunch of red ! around the city which show up as you walk around Beauclair, think they do stay on the map once triggered. Particularly there's the painter wanting to do a portrait of Geralt and the theft from the statue exhibit, oh and some dwarf who owes Geralt money too.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 9, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Macaluso posted:

edit: Oh and am I crazy or does the game just straight up make fun of Slenderman at the very beginning of this expansion
I took a screenshot of that too because I thought 'lol the Beast is Slenderman' so you're not the only one.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Avalerion posted:

There are a bunch of red ! around the city which show up as you walk around Beauclair, think they do stay on the map once triggered. Particularly there's the painter wanting to do a portrait of Geralt and the theft from the statue exhibit, oh and some dwarf who owes Geralt money too.

The bankers beucracy quest was one of the more amusing quests I've done.

The system has declared Geralt as dead and to reverse that, so you can access your accounts, will require form 23B. But the lady with form 23B says she will need to see form 202 first. The guy who can fill out form 202, which I need to get form 23b, says he can't do it for me because the system says I'm dead.

Really, Blood and Wine, a great ending to one of the best games I've played so far.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If anyone is craving more bureaucratic adventures, Douglas Adams wrote a pretty good text-based adventure game back in the 80s called Bureaucracy that the quest really reminded me of.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Avalerion posted:

There's also a bard at the southern docks

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Azazell0 posted:

That's not the main story that's Blood and Wine come on

it's not a major spoiler but that's twice now I've thought a spoiler tag was referring to non DLC content.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hit the first bunch of notice boards in blood and wine and my quest tab filled up. they're doing that thing again aren't they were they say "30 hours" is the barest loving minimum. i can see this poo poo taking me double that. hearts of stone is meant to be 10 hours and that took me close to 30 after all said and done. :|

not complaining, i'm just old these days.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I never played Witcher 1 & 2 or read the books. Can someone give me a little synopsis of Regis (Blood & Wine spoiler)? He seems like an interesting character, but the character page on him only gives the barest amount of details besides "he was a good vampire

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, same but this thread was always loving terrible about spoilers.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Narrative timing question about Blood and Wine:

I've kept a save that's right before the Isle of Mists quest in the base game to do the DLCs with, mainly because the ending is so final and the world being emptied of most important NPCs after the main quest makes it feel inappropriate to keep playing, even for DLCs. For HoS this had some payoff, as there was some bonus, pre-finding Ciri dialogue here and there. However, Blood and Wine seems decidedly set after the main quest, regardless of your actual progress through it. For instance, when first meeting up with Regis at the cemetery, Geralt says that him and Ciri defeated the Wild Hunt even though that hasn't actually happened yet in this save. So would it make more narrative sense, timing wise or thematically or whatever, to leave Toussant, wrap up the main quest, then come back and continue Blood and Wine afterward? Or, Geralt's remark to Regis notwithstanding, should I keep playing Blood and Wine and then go through the main quest's endgame one last time after BaW?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Destro posted:

Euphoria is bugged and does get disabled after combat. Fortunately there is a mod to fix it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1587/
But the icon definitely comes back when you enter combat again. Has anyone actually tested to see if the damage bonus is really desynced from the icon?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

it's not a major spoiler but that's twice now I've thought a spoiler tag was referring to non DLC content.

I'm sorry, it was a blunder on my part. I guess I just thought everyone had already finished the REAL main story and I've been just writing about B&W while playing. I'll edit it accordingly.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Finally ran into Equine Phantoms, what a fun quest.

Geralt openly yawning during one long speech in particular cracked me up, as did him spotting that Roach had got bored and started eating grass.

God, this quest was great.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Cirosan posted:

Narrative timing question about Blood and Wine:

I've kept a save that's right before the Isle of Mists quest in the base game to do the DLCs with, mainly because the ending is so final and the world being emptied of most important NPCs after the main quest makes it feel inappropriate to keep playing, even for DLCs. For HoS this had some payoff, as there was some bonus, pre-finding Ciri dialogue here and there. However, Blood and Wine seems decidedly set after the main quest, regardless of your actual progress through it. For instance, when first meeting up with Regis at the cemetery, Geralt says that him and Ciri defeated the Wild Hunt even though that hasn't actually happened yet in this save. So would it make more narrative sense, timing wise or thematically or whatever, to leave Toussant, wrap up the main quest, then come back and continue Blood and Wine afterward? Or, Geralt's remark to Regis notwithstanding, should I keep playing Blood and Wine and then go through the main quest's endgame one last time after BaW?

It would make more sense but that's the only mention of the main game that comes up as far as I can tell. There is a little surprise at the end of Blood and Wine so it might be worth it if you went with Yen.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Is pinning recipes for alchemy and crafting broken for anyone else since the UI overhaul? Because it's definitely broken for me now or I am just dumb

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Is pinning recipes for alchemy and crafting broken for anyone else since the UI overhaul? Because it's definitely broken for me now or I am just dumb

Someone mentioned something earlier, is it this?

Anti-Hero posted:

Is anyone else playing on an ultrawide monitor, and experiencing the same formulae pinning bug as shown below?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Someone mentioned something earlier, is it this?

I am getting the opposite problem it looks like the pinned stuff must be off the screen, weird.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

I am getting the opposite problem it looks like the pinned stuff must be off the screen, weird.

No idea sorry. I guess report the bug and hope it gets fixed next patch?
http://en.cdprojektred.com/support/bug-reporting-guide/

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

hit the first bunch of notice boards in blood and wine and my quest tab filled up. they're doing that thing again aren't they were they say "30 hours" is the barest loving minimum. i can see this poo poo taking me double that. hearts of stone is meant to be 10 hours and that took me close to 30 after all said and done. :|

not complaining, i'm just old these days.

Yeah, there is no way it's that short. I'm just cleaning up my quests now and it literally feels like another Witcher game and I'm still finding quests. It's loving crazy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone like W3 in Polish? Thinking of my next trilogy play through being in Polish. Polish sounds great in W1 but by W2-3 the English actors/directors got their poo poo together.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I know there are websites and youtubes with images of all the armor sets, but is there anyway I could get a close up high res or even a 3d model of the pauldrons and knee guards used in the master griffin set?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

extra stout posted:

I know there are websites and youtubes with images of all the armor sets, but is there anyway I could get a close up high res or even a 3d model of the pauldrons and knee guards used in the master griffin set?

You could use the mod tools.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Along the way in B&W there were a couple of choices I had to make on quests and I felt that I chose poorly on both. This is some musings about them. These were

Guillaume & Vivienne and the Silver basilisk.

I let the basilisk live, but found afterwards that bandits were camping right outside to exploit the fact that the basilisk guy was paying compensation from each person killed and for the cargo, which the merchant guild (?) kept pumping out. So they just keep sending more and more not caring if they get killed or not. Hindsight's a bitch, but if I had stumbled upon that camp first (or thought about it for a moment) I would've killed the basilisk.

Now, I chose to not tell Guillaume, because Vivienne asked me to. But turns out she's a bit of a bitch and he's an rear end so maybe they did deserve each other after all?

Mind you, my choice was vindicated a bit after main story when I walked around in Beauclair and saw this scene:

Guillaume getting plastered, cursing me and slumping to the ground in a very non-knightly fashion. Funny as hell.

Also I'm still salty I missed out on that good Nilfgaard leader card during the tournament in the main game. Please have another way of getting it, if not anything else than my OCD.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 9, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

How was Vivienne a bitch?

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Well, looks like I got the bad ending in B&W

Rushed through the fairytale land and just got the three beans and left. Important lesson learned here is never leave a sub-objective behind

On my holidays at the moment, like I was when Witcher 3 main game came out, and it's the first game I've played since a child where I've been glued to the game for hours on end. Saying it's the best game in this generation is underselling it, it's the first game to bring my back to the joys of gaming I had as a child, around the time of the original Monkey Islands on the Amiga, and that kind of Nostaliga. Kudos to the developers, as I never thought I'd feel that feeling about a game agian.

General question though... does anything change if you let Detlaff leave in the sister dies ending. Guide says that Anna can die and her Sister live as well, how does that work

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone like W3 in Polish? Thinking of my next trilogy play through being in Polish. Polish sounds great in W1 but by W2-3 the English actors/directors got their poo poo together.

The voice acting for Dandelion in W1 is so bad that I feel like the dude reading the lines didn't even know what he was saying. I put more effort and context into reading my nephew a bedtime story than that VA did.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Azazell0 posted:

Along the way in B&W there were a couple of choices I had to make on quests and I felt that I chose poorly on both. This is some musings about them. These were

Guillaume & Vivienne and the Silver basilisk.

I let the basilisk live, but found afterwards that bandits were camping right outside to exploit the fact that the basilisk guy was paying compensation from each person killed and for the cargo, which the merchant guild (?) kept pumping out. So they just keep sending more and more not caring if they get killed or not. Hindsight's a bitch, but if I had stumbled upon that camp first (or thought about it for a moment) I would've killed the basilisk.

Now, I chose to not tell Guillaume, because Vivienne asked me to. But turns out she's a bit of a bitch and he's an rear end so maybe they did deserve each other after all?

Mind you, my choice was vindicated a bit after main story when I walked around in Beauclair and saw this scene:

Guillaume getting plastered, cursing me and slumping to the ground in a very non-knightly fashion. Funny as hell.

Also I'm still salty I missed out on that good Nilfgaard leader card during the tournament in the main game. Please have another way of getting it, if not anything else than my OCD.

are you on PC, because if so it's one console command away. Or just install the Gwent Card Merchant which sells every card in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Since The patch I have been getting infrequent crashes in crafting menus