Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CharlesM posted:

Stop taking it so personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

corn in the fridge posted:

Hey man, I really tried to give deadpool a chance, I really wanted it to be good. It's not my fault it was so bad!

You've got some misfiring synapses if you didnt find at least ONE part of DeadPool Good...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slidebite posted:

Likes: Beaches, relative quiet (not super crowded), decent food, landscape sightseeing and some poo poo to do... maybe short hikes and a bit of snorkelling. Things like a pineapple plantation tour might be kind of neat too. Nightlife isn't a biggie as we're now both at or over 40 and other than the odd show, nightclubs don't do anything for us anymore. For reasons which I won't go deeply in to, we sort of want to stay away from the Caribbean.

First class is "only" about $1K more

I've also heard that food is quite costly pretty much everywhere in Hawaii and the inside thing to do is make sure your room has a basic kitchenette so you can cook some meals and not be stuck with a $50 breakfast every day. C/D?
Big Island mellow, Maui tourists, Kauai super mellow. Big island is awesome with beautiful beaches, mountains and everything in between. Hilo and Kona are both pretty mellow laid back places with cool farmers markets, restaurants and everything else from what I remember. On Maui, we spent a week at Ka'anapali Beach Hotel a few years ago, great snorkeling off the beach and tours go out a few times a day if you're into that. A zip line place close was worth the high prices, Haleakala crater sunrise is a must IMO and you can rent a bike and coast down the mountain if you'd like. If the Mrs. doesn't get car sick drive the road to Hana.
First class round trip for 1k more, I'd splurge and do it or at least get economy comfort if you're flying Delta.
Food and booze is expensive. Kitchenette is a really good idea, stock up at Costco for breakfast/lunch then do dinner out.

Scheduled a Pensacola trip with the girlfriend for next month. 8 hour drive and a week together in a small condo on the beach should be a good test.

Fab shop that did unsatisfactory work on the E21 has offered to take it back and fix the things I wasn't happy with everything I had them do. Meanwhile it's been at the main shop since February with various issues. At this point I'm not even sure I want them to take it back since getting things done in a reasonable time frame doesn't seem to be possible for anyone. I'd be in more of a hurry to get it back but I'm actually enjoying having one less car at the moment from a garage space point of view.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ferremit posted:

You've got some misfiring synapses if you didnt find at least ONE part of DeadPool Good...

Not to cast my lot with those two, but I can't remember anything from watching deadpool beyond his costume and that he had some snappy zingers. Oh and he broke the 4th wall a lot.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fyodor posted:

Not to cast my lot with those two, but I can't remember anything from watching deadpool beyond his costume and that he had some snappy zingers. Oh and he broke the 4th wall a lot.

Anal.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
So... is this we're we begin to have combat via keyboard again?

Yeesh.

Annnyway..... I think I am having some very bad thoughts about a new car. A very powerful, a very fast and obnoxious one that will cost me a godawful amount. Maybe just once I'll be ridiculously irresponsible or maybe I'll save some pennies and turn the Forester into a sleeper. I dunno - the cost would be murder and it's a seriously unwise financial idea. But... 600hp and the drat thing is a hoot to drive.

Doubt I'll do it i the end.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Ferremit posted:

deadpool was alright but i didnt find it super funny and the action scenes were pretty subpar so for me it was stuck in an awkward middle ground between superhero film and comedy.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

slidebite posted:

The travel forum seems pretty quiet and I think a lot of you guys can probably answer my questions/give advice so figured I'd ask here if you don't mind :)

For the first time in, like, ever, Mrs. Slidebite and I are planing on pulling a 3 week vacation this fall - Sept 3 to 25 time frame to coincide with our anniversary and Hawaii is in our cross-hairs, although we're not completely decided yet.

We've never been, but pretty much everyone we have spoken to has said Maui is their favourite island so we're thinking of splitting the trip between there and the big island.

Why the big island? I absolutely want to go tho Mauna Kea and check out the telescopes and also hit Hawaii Volcanos national park because we're both huge geeks. I understand the beaches and scenery on Maui are really nice. The only real appeal Oahu has for me is Pearl Harbour and it really doesn't appeal to me that much. Should we be considering another island?

Likes: Beaches, relative quiet (not super crowded), decent food, landscape sightseeing and some poo poo to do... maybe short hikes and a bit of snorkelling. Things like a pineapple plantation tour might be kind of neat too. Nightlife isn't a biggie as we're now both at or over 40 and other than the odd show, nightclubs don't do anything for us anymore. For reasons which I won't go deeply in to, we sort of want to stay away from the Caribbean.

I guess my questions are:

How long should we think of staying on each island? Especially if we want at least 2 or 3 beach days on each... if not more (I presume the big island has some decent beaches?). Where on the islands should we stay? A postcard "room on the beach" would be great but of course we can't expect that. We're tentatively thinking of spending a total of 14-17 nights, leaving the first Saturday (3rd) Is that reasonable? We're not planing on the full 3 weeks as in my experience there is nothing worse than coming home from a big trip on a Saturday/Sunday only to go back to work Monday and feel like poo poo from the travel... so we'll probably come back the Tues-Thurs time frame.

Costco travel seems to have some good vacation package rates including all flights (inter-island included), rooms and car rental and lots of upgrade options for hotels. I'm leaning towards booking with them but obviously haven't decided on anything at this point. Good resources to recommend for island activities? Airlines to avoid? It looks like Costco would be putting us on Delta from YYC-SEA-KOA/OGG. First class is "only" about $1K more so we might splurge to be able to recline as my wife actually got a DVT in her leg when she was in her early 20s so we get a little concerned of limited legroom for flights more than a few hours.

I've also heard that food is quite costly pretty much everywhere in Hawaii and the inside thing to do is make sure your room has a basic kitchenette so you can cook some meals and not be stuck with a $50 breakfast every day. C/D?

tl/dr Tell me about Hawaii

JAC Mauna Kea, specifically:

Fly into Hilo, rent a Jeep from big name rental place. Access road is off HI 200 (Saddle Road) directly South of the mountain.

Visitor's Center is at 9,000' elevation and it owns. Awesome views of the East and South, and at night they have some 12" and 16" telescopes to look at poo poo through.

They have tours starting at the Visitor's Center, but they're infrequent and you have a Jeep. Drive carefully, watch engine temp on the way up, pulse brakes on the way down. You want to go up in the daytime, as it's pretty restricted at night and you have to cut your lights off if they do allow you up. The telescopes are at 13,800' elevation.

NASA Infrared is awesome. Knock on the door, hopefully a maintenance guy named Maurice answers. He toured us around.

Subaru is the biggest and newest and looks really neat but when I knocked on their door I only heard very tense Japanese firing back and forth so I left.

Album with me in a required Hawaiian shirt, cheesing at all the telescopes

e: oh also it's like 50°F up there in the summer.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 9, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My wife rang me earlier in a panic, said the cats been shot and she was taking it to the vet then hung up.

She rang me again a few minutes ago, apparently kitty had an abscess burst so at least it's not malicious and the vet dealt with it easily. I bet she'll be feeling sorry for herself right now, poor girl's 14 years old now. That was a tense wait for a phonecall though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Getting my project car back yesssssss.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

JAC Mauna Kea, specifically:

Fly into Hilo, rent a Jeep from big name rental place. Access road is off HI 200 (Saddle Road) directly South of the mountain.

Visitor's Center is at 9,000' elevation and it owns. Awesome views of the East and South, and at night they have some 12" and 16" telescopes to look at poo poo through.

They have tours starting at the Visitor's Center, but they're infrequent and you have a Jeep. Drive carefully, watch engine temp on the way up, pulse brakes on the way down. You want to go up in the daytime, as it's pretty restricted at night and you have to cut your lights off if they do allow you up. The telescopes are at 13,800' elevation.

NASA Infrared is awesome. Knock on the door, hopefully a maintenance guy named Maurice answers. He toured us around.

Subaru is the biggest and newest and looks really neat but when I knocked on their door I only heard very tense Japanese firing back and forth so I left.

Album with me in a required Hawaiian shirt, cheesing at all the telescopes

e: oh also it's like 50°F up there in the summer.

I know what I'm doing next time I go to Hawaii.

I just did a week on Oahu last year. Touristy, yes, but also fun. Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, a couple of boat tours out to swim with sea turtles (can't touch em but they will literally swim right up to you), a shark cage swim, and Pearl Harbor.

Depending on how wide ranging your geekiness is, they do an in depth tour of the Missouri that is very worth it. It's an interesting mix since much of the ship is still as it was at the end of WWII, including mechanical firing computers and manual loading of the big guns, but you've also got Gulf War era radar and missiles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
For vacations I haunt junkyards.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I wanted to post last night but didn't want to do it on an ipad. Also wanted to look back at some of my pictures for reference.

I can't speak for big island, but I LOVED Kauai - definitely go there, some nice relaxation/beach spots and the various micro-climes are really interesting. One of the best moments I had was getting away from the people I was with (ex-gf and her family, a story in and of itself), and driving to mount Wai'ale'ale (roads were fun) and watching the sunset and the mist roll in.

Oahu was, as mentioned, touristy, but ok as there are ways to get away from the tourist traps and do other things like hike some trails and enjoy some of the nature of the island.

Bah, I could ramble on, but you get the picture.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Cakefool posted:

My wife rang me earlier in a panic, said the cats been shot and she was taking it to the vet then hung up.

She rang me again a few minutes ago, apparently kitty had an abscess burst so at least it's not malicious and the vet dealt with it easily. I bet she'll be feeling sorry for herself right now, poor girl's 14 years old now. That was a tense wait for a phonecall though.

I wish someone would shoot my cat. He's a 20 year old rear end in a top hat that shits and pisses on everything. Two decades of this bullshit, when will the fucker die?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

trouser chili posted:

I wish someone would shoot my cat. He's a 20 year old rear end in a top hat that shits and pisses on everything. Two decades of this bullshit, when will the fucker die?

Another good thing about dogs... they know when to bow out.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

trouser chili posted:

I'll shoot your cat for the itr, i foster cats so i feel my cat karma is good enough. also if cats had an itr im sure they would shoot me for one.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

trouser chili posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-G9vrgPLk&t=24s

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

slidebite posted:

tl/dr Tell me about Hawaii

Everybody already mentioned what I would have said except a few things. I thought the food on Maui was poo poo, but I don't eat seafood so take it with a large grain of salt. Look into AirBnB, it was so much cheaper than any hotel and we had a decent condo on the beach in Kihei with a kitchen so we could cook. Would definitely do the road to hana if your wife doesn't get carsick (mine did, in a Mazda SUV at about 2/10ths :v:) and see the sunrise at haleakala. We went to bunch of different beaches, I think the ones up north near the giant hotels were clearer but more crowded. If you want to try surfing I think the waves up north are larger.

We were in Maui for 10 days, which was too long IMO. Wish we would have traveled to the big island during that time but I didn't know before the trip if we would get to do everything in Maui in one trip.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wrar posted:

Getting my project car back yesssssss.

The FM46DE swap?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My hawaii suggestion: kauaii is great but i'd suggest no more than one week per island.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

May I suggest going to "locals" beaches, particularly if you are white. They love white people. Love 'em.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

fyodor posted:

May I suggest going to "locals" beaches, particularly if you are white. They love white people. Love 'em.

As someone with family on Maui and Oahu, I can confirm this. Helps keep costs down and they always know where the best plate lunch and shave ice are, too. Also, wear velcro strapped sandals to really fit in.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is some video I shot on my last vacation to Oahu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7nqgQIZKgw

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cross posting this from the tool thread because it's a great deal and it's one day only.

Home Depot has the FLIR One for Apple/Android on sale today for $199. That's a great buy for a great tool/toy. This is the second generation with improved resolution. I have the first generation and it's fantastically useful and fun.

http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy...1210757&cj=true

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

meatpimp posted:

Cross posting this from the tool thread because it's a great deal and it's one day only.

Home Depot has the FLIR One for Apple/Android on sale today for $199. That's a great buy for a great tool/toy. This is the second generation with improved resolution. I have the first generation and it's fantastically useful and fun.

I would if it was USB-C. Welp.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

meatpimp posted:

I never knew I wanted one of these until you posted this. Thanks, jackass, I'm 200 bucks poorer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Jesus loving christ, hospitals are so loving lovely.

We took my wife in for blinding pain and vommitting that turned out to be a kidney blockage. The Hospital ER was in network.

The doctor they contract out to in the ER was not in network. We had given them our insurance first thing, and yet somehow their lovely system couldn't match us with a doctor we could actually be seen by via our insurance.

How the gently caress. The LAST thing you should have to worry about going to the ER is if the doctor is covered by insurance or not.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

meatpimp posted:

Another good thing about dogs... they know when to bow out.

One of my dogs is 17. Half blind, deaf, and occasionally paralyzed in the rear.

He lives off spite.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

We took my wife in for blinding pain and vommitting that turned out to be a kidney blockage. The Hospital ER was in network.

The doctor they contract out to in the ER was not in network. We had given them our insurance first thing, and yet somehow their lovely system couldn't match us with a doctor we could actually be seen by via our insurance.

How the gently caress. The LAST thing you should have to worry about going to the ER is if the doctor is covered by insurance or not.

That's pretty loving absurd. So let me make sure I got this right...

The hospital is in network. The doctor, however, is not?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Tide posted:

Doctors are independent contractors for some hospitals. America has the most fuckered health system in all of eternity, we know, and we won't do anything about it, because we're stupid.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the Hawaii suggestions, really appreciate it.

So, maybe instead of big island and Maui, maybe big island and Kaui?

fyodor posted:

This is some video I shot on my last vacation to Oahu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7nqgQIZKgw
I already understand that. My plan is to where velcro sandals with black socks, a fanny-pack with a maple leaf on it, and talk REALLY LOUDLY to the locals to make sure they understand me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tide posted:

This is common as doctors are not employees of the hospital.
Also your surgeon may be in network, but his ansetheologist (i know I mispelled that) may not be. Also, they won't tell you and you get a bill for $50k!
The US healthcare system is a joke unless you're a billionaire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nm posted:

This is common as doctors are not employees of the hospital.
Also your surgeon may be in network, but his ansetheologist (i know I mispelled that) may not be. Also, they won't tell you and you get a bill for $50k!
The US healthcare system is a joke unless you're a billionaire.

Yeah, and now I'm loving scared because she had to get the stone surgically removed.

gently caress.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, and now I'm loving scared because she had to get the stone surgically removed.

gently caress.

Are you in CA? Kaiser has its issues, but it does solve all these problems. I've been pretty happy. It is basically a private single payer.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

There was some legislation I read about a while back, but now I can't remember if it was a state thing or national, where it would require all services provided by a hospital (and any contracted doctors) to be considered in-network if the hospital was in-network, just to prevent that sort of bullshit.

Even without the legislation, you can typically negotiate after the fact for the doctor to bill and accept payment at an in-network rate, but you still have to deal with the bullshit that shouldn't be necessary to get it all fixed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

For those of us that aren't :911: - what does this "in network" mean?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slidebite posted:

For those of us that aren't :911: - what does this "in network" mean?

Insurance plans have 'in network' and 'out of network' providers. Typically the in-network are where you want to go as the cost is less. Out of network usually means there is a lower percentage of the cost covered by the insurance, and there may not be a negotiated and set price for the service.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
To expand on that a bit, "in network" providers are those who have entered an agreement with your insurance company on prices of various services.

So instead of what the doctor/hospital (etc.) would like to charge your insurer they accept a lower payment in exchange for more patients being funneled their way

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just found out while her surgeon was in network, her anesthesiologist was not.......

....gently caress. That's like a $50,000 medical bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Just when you think you have a handle on how utterly hosed up the US medical system is, another fact comes along to prove that there's more and it's always a gently caress load worse.

.... how the flying gently caress is being gassed and monitored worth 50 grand anyway????

• Locked thread