Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ohgodwhat posted:

That loving idiot needs to make 6% a month just to cover his expenses. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to say someone with such unrealistic expectations is probably not trader material.
What do you mean 6%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nitrox posted:

What do you mean 6%?

The guy claims living expenses of $7,000/month and assets of $112,000.

7/112=.0625

So the guy would need to pull a >6% gain on his trades every month just to cover his monthly living expenses.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pig slut lisa posted:

The guy claims living expenses of $7,000/month and assets of $112,000.

7/112=.0625

So the guy would need to pull a >6% gain on his trades every month just to cover his monthly living expenses.

Don't forget short term capital gains. He has to net 6%.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

H110Hawk posted:

Don't forget short term capital gains. He has to net 6%.

At least with no earned income he would be paying the lowest rate :shepspends:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Is there such thing as a "cheap" part of NYC? This country bumkin has been lead to believe that an income of 70-80K is the minimum just to subsist in one of the five boroughs.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Some areas are cheaper than others, although yeah it's going to cost more than Dayton, OH regardless of the choices you make. That being said, me and my husband lived in Manhattan for a few years there on <$40k a year (no kids). We just had to make very careful choices in order to live within our means, but we were still able to do some fun stuff and eat out occasionally.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Living anywhere but Desmoine is irrational and bad with money.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

BadSamaritan posted:

me and my husband lived in Manhattan for a few years there on <$40k a year (no kids). We just had to make very careful choices in order to live within our means, but we were still able to do some fun stuff and eat out occasionally.
Same, me and boyfriend were spending around $4k a month w/out kids. Lived in Washington Heights for a bit, then up at the end of the 6 line in the Bronx. As long as you're not a racist who hates living near minorities, you'll be fine.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 5, 2016

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

FrozenVent posted:

Living anywhere but Desmoine is irrational and bad with money.

Every Forbes "10 Best Places to Live" article ever.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Come on over to adventure land! We're going to have a fun filled day

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vahakyla posted:

Superbike lol. You can do wicked acceleration on a NINJA 250 and get killed just as easy and still not spend more than like 1500$ from craigslist.

I know I'm late to this one, but the same NINJA 250 sent 4 different dudes to the hospital in my highschool. One guy bought it, crashed, then sold it to the next guy. Wash rinse repeat x4 until the last guy totaled it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Dik Hz posted:

I know I'm late to this one, but the same NINJA 250 sent 4 different dudes to the hospital in my highschool. One guy bought it, crashed, then sold it to the next guy. Wash rinse repeat x4 until the last guy totaled it.

How many of them had actual rider training and a motorcycle license?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nitrox posted:

How many of them had actual rider training and a motorcycle license?

Who cares?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Click through this bad boy for a long form defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory BWM tale. With a kicker.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Subjunctive posted:

Click through this bad boy for a long form defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory BWM tale. With a kicker.

quote:

For Ballard, he's considering hiring a lawyer to sort out his retirement income. He'd rather not be working nearly full-time hours so that he can spend time with his wife and his horses.
I had been hoping it would involve horses!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I was coming to this thread to straight up post that as well. Fukken' :laffo:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
BWM: Fleeing the country after you get sued.

quote:

The backstory: In early 2013, I spent over 600 hours researching a high-flying public biotech company; I concluded from the thousands of pages of SEC filings, 100s of research papers, originally-discovered primary source material, and more than a dozen interviews with industry leaders, that the story spun by this company was so ungrounded from reality that it posed an opportunity to publish a report on the company as well as short its equity. Since then the share price of the company has dropped by more than 70%.

I published 2 reports within 1 month of each other; the reports received moderate media coverage. Several weeks later, my LLC was sued for libel by the company. After spending 2 months attempting to determine my options, I concluded that even though the case was spurious and my claims were backed up by legal and financial filings, I did not have the financial ability to defend myself versus a corporation that was spending shareholder money for a large law firm (I was quoted figures in the $100k-$200k range, including the retainer).

I decided to drop my life in America and flew to Europe, leaving the case to unfold as it may. I learned from a family member that a default judgement had been made, requiring me to remove both reports from the internet. I did this.

Following this case, which I did not contest and reached default judgement, the law firm representing the company filed a lawsuit in the same state as my LLC (but not the state in which I resided), against me for libel. That suit required my presence in court, which I stated I could not fulfill given my residence in Europe. That suit concluded in default judgement again in February; after the plaintiff's attorney asked for damages ranging in the tens of millions of dollars,
the judge commented that he would have to actually review the report because it had footnotes citing evidenciary support for the claims and because he did not feel comfortable awarding such an amount of damages without having looked at the merits of the claims.

I am currently uncertain as to the status of the case
, and am trying to gain access to all available court documents (I do not have an address in the United States and have received no information whatsoever regarding this second trial; I found out about it through an article online after searching my former company's name and the suing company through a search engine).

I had told myself this case would eventually disappear,
folding under the weight of its own nonsense, but the legal team of the company has persisted in attempting to receive a verdict for damages that are not even remotely payable by me. I am unsure as to their motives.

I know that I have made a complete mess of the situation for the past 2 years. I'd like to think that being fresh out of university was an excuse for my poor handling and fear of the situation, but it is not.

I want to take the best possible action now, but I fear that it may be too late. I have limited funds to receive legal defense, but I believe in the veracity of the claims I made in my reports. They were like my children. This company will most likely be bankrupt or virtually nonexistant in 3-5 years, but I want to do what I can now to improve the shithole I have dug for myself.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I am sorry for the length, but it seems to be quite a story to me. Any advice on what I should do would be worth its weight in gold.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4mzumi/facing_multimillion_damage_verdict_after_not/

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

It just sounds so bankrupt that my only option is to plow tens of thousands of dollars into a case that I think was brought solely to silence me. My contentions were true, and the market has borne this out in the past 2 years.
If only there was some way to have dealt with this before it was a multi-million dollar affair. Using some sort of person who specializes in legal proceedings of this nature, maybe. Along with skipping the 'making yourself look bad by fleeing the country' part, if you want to get really crazy.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 8, 2016

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Haifisch posted:

If only there was some way to have dealt with this before it was a multi-million dollar affair. Using some sort of person who specializes in legal proceedings of this nature, maybe. Along with skipping the 'making yourself look bad by fleeing the country' part, if you want to get really crazy.

To be fair - fighting something out in court is difficult to being with. If its just you fighting a huge corporation with millions at their disposal, what are your chances of winning? After a certain dollar amount, there's no real difference between a huge legal bill and a multi-million dollar judgement, and a very real risk you'll lose anyway.

Yet I still agree - not hiring a lawyer was dumb.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Couldn't that guy just declare bankruptcy and be done with it?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

froglet posted:

To be fair - fighting something out in court is difficult to being with. If its just you fighting a huge corporation with millions at their disposal, what are your chances of winning? After a certain dollar amount, there's no real difference between a huge legal bill and a multi-million dollar judgement, and a very real risk you'll lose anyway.

Yet I still agree - not hiring a lawyer was dumb.

Isn't this what those anti SLAPP laws are for that we all learned about in high school?

I am very much not a lawyer but I have a funny feeling he was talking to lovely law firms.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Pretty sure it wouldnt matter since justice is an afterthought in the american legal system. Also there's no federal anti slapp law.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Guest2553 posted:

Also there's no federal anti slapp law.

well that seems like an oversight

Guest2553 posted:

Pretty sure it wouldnt matter since justice is an afterthought in the american legal system

even though this is true

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
You should also buy insurance to protect against libel suits if you're going to be writing negative things about big companies.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Also what the gently caress is the point of an LLC if you can't just fold the company and start another one? It's "limited liability"?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

kaishek posted:

Also what the gently caress is the point of an LLC if you can't just fold the company and start another one? It's "limited liability"?
I really wanted to ask this question. It sounded like he posted his report under his LLC. So why not fold?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

I really wanted to ask this question. It sounded like he posted his report under his LLC. So why not fold?

He also got sued personally and didn't attend that hearing either.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, wow. That is really something. I want to feel bad for the guy, because he looks so despondent, and his situation really does suck. On the other hand, holy cow:

quote:

"Would I do it all again? Oh, in a minute. It's what had to be done," Ballard said. "You gotta be where you were to be where you are."

Look at this. Just look at it.

quote:

Taking a big chunk in cash from the pension meant a hefty income tax bill. He took out a $49,000 line of credit to pay the tax man. Seven years later, the balance owed has budged only $155, though he's never missed a payment.

The guy cashed out $720,000, then took out a line of credit to pay the taxes on it. What the gently caress? Did someone say the phrase "opportunity cost" around him, or something?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

kaishek posted:

It's limited liability that doesn't apply to torts personally committed by you.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I can't really fathom how the guy thought 720k was enough to retire on after taxes if he has horses...you know I was going to list the other things he had going on but holy poo poo. You need to live really frugally if you're going to retire at 59 on less than a million dollars.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Series DD Funding posted:

It's limited liability that doesn't apply to torts personally committed by you.

Good to know!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I don't have a link because I'm on my phone but there's a guy on Reddit right now who wants to buy a sailboat with his friends in Seattle and rent it out on AirBnB.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Hope he's got a good maritime lawyer on retainer!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I don't have a link because I'm on my phone but there's a guy on Reddit right now who wants to buy a sailboat with his friends in Seattle and rent it out on AirBnB.

I think you maybe mixing up a houseboat with a sailboat.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Found it. Unsurprisingly, all the replies are basically screaming "DON'T DO IT."

quote:

I'm thinking of buying a sailboat with some friends and listing it on AirBnB. I'm compiling a checklist of considerations before embarking. Am I missing anything? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 4 hours ago by stalefries

Local legal environment for AirBnB (Seattle)
Cost and profit sharing
Cost estimates and income modeling/projection
Competitive research/comparables in the area
Contracts and structure. Should we form a company to manage this? (LLC?)
Time/labor managing this
Anything else?

I have a specific boat in mind that I'm seeing today (coworker owns it, has lived on it, and wants to sell).

And while I was searching for that, I found this older thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3mv7me/living_aboard_a_sailboat_as_an_investment/ posted:

Living aboard a sailboat as an investment? (self.personalfinance)

I've always dreamed of living aboard a sailboat and taking several years to sail around the world. I had always hoped to achieve this goal later in life, but the more I'm considering it I think it may be feasible now. I'm curious as to PF's thoughts on buying a boat to live aboard and the financial implications in my current situation, which is as follows:

I'm 27 years old with approximately $100k in the bank (various investments). I own a duplex, where I live in one unit and rent the other. My rental income of $1,500/month covers the mortgage, taxes, and insurance. I project that I can earn an additional $1,400/month if I move out of my unit and rent it. Would it be a smart move financially to buy a boat for say $75k, and live aboard? I'm thinking of this scenario as buying another house for $75k which earns a rental income of $1,400/month! I have been wanting to buy an investment property for the last few years but the market is insane in New Orleans right now and everything is way out of my budget.

As far as the cost of living on the boat, the only expense that I don't already incur is a $200/month slip fee and boat insurance ($100/month max). Even if I somehow have to spend an extra $500/month, which is extremely high, I still feel that I would be coming out on top.

Am I overlooking anything with this assessment? Yes, I know a boat is a depreciating asset.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That second sailboat guy might not be totally insane if he can truly live in that sailboat. He's already renting half his house so presumably has a good idea of expenses and hassle of being a landlord (admittedly they will double but still).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Also reading further he actually has performed extensive boat repairs on a project boat and spent lots of time at sea. It's not truly an investment but he might be able to afford it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

lmao some goon's roommate decided to build a new room (:psyduck:) in the middle of their rental house

Forceholy posted:

So my roommate is going to get us kicked out of the apartment.

I live in a two bedroom that is a five minute walk from CSUN, a four year college we all attend with three other people. Two of my roommates share a bedroom. One roommate, which I will refer to as O, gets his own room and I sleep in the living room with deeply discounted rent. We just moved in last year and it was a pretty sweet deal. A five-minute walk to class as well as to my On-Campus job? Sign me up.

Recently, O got this idea into his head that he could build a new room in the living room as he paid enough rent and lived there long enough (since 2013). We all thought he was joking until I woke up this morning to find half the living room converted into a single bedroom (I slept in the other room since one of the roommates isn't home much due to his job). The room is so large, it eats up half the space of the living room and even cuts into the kitchen. When the two roommates and myself complained to O, he told us to gently caress off and to look for a new place to live. Apparently, he claims to know enough lawyer friends and building inspectors that it is within his right to modify the apartment however he wants. He claims that if something does happen, he'll be blamed since the apartment is under his name (Nevermind that all of our names are on our lease). I've decided to talk to my manager about this and to look for a new place.

So my question is how hosed am I when I talk to my manager about what my roommate did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pig slut lisa posted:

lmao some goon's roommate decided to build a new room (:psyduck:) in the middle of their rental house

amazing

• Locked thread