Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People who use IRC in the military pronounce miRC like "merc" and talk about it as if no one in the world knows what IRC is besides them because it's a secret government technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sure, some might say that slack's integrations are just glorified IRC bots, but no one's written a eurodance anthem about a loving slack integration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7iU0GGVco8.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm surprised that guy didn't take off. He had a song about an IRC bot plus another song about playing Dota.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Boten Anna is legit sorry

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've read about Slack before and it just seemed like a worse version of email. Still its success isn't anywhere as bizarre as Snapchat and whatever the gently caress.

This was a pretty good episode even if it did still suffer somewhat from the decision to roll back Action Jack stuff completely, IMO. It was clear that Monica wasn't "getting" the interface the moment she looked at it, and I think the wider beta is going to be a bust because it was only their self-selected mega sperg target group that liked it.

A bit frustrating too to have Gavin be completely useless as it's not uncommon for these startups have a bunch of clones (Lyft/Uber, Washio/Prim/FlyCleaner etc) which would put a bit more pressure on them. It's not unrealistic for something like Hooli to gently caress up massively - just look at Nest, but I think it would've been more interesting if they had something working soon.

PS. Another reason I'm sad about Action Jack is that Stephen Tobolowsky was so great in the role. Maybe he could come back after suing them for unfair dismissal or something. Here's an unrelated video where he tells a story about filming with Seagal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cUNU8GkMso

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 8, 2016

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

In the discussion thread of a show about an industry where seemingly superfluous products often get wildly overvalued, why is everyone so hangup about slack?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rexides posted:

In the discussion thread of a show about an industry where seemingly superfluous products often get wildly overvalued, why is everyone so hangup about slack?

Are you telling us to give Slack some slack?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The only thing I know about Slack is that it had a weird-rear end Zootopia ripoff ad. Figured it wasn't anything to write home about until they mentioned it in the show.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!
Companies pay for Slack not because they're unaware of IRC, but because they don't want to run a goddamn in-house IRC server. In general companies like to pay for things so that there's recourse when something breaks — you can get on the phone and yell at someone and threaten to withhold payment.

And, yes, Slack is really easy to integrate with other services, and the basic HTML support means that a message can say "A build failed — click here to investigate" whereas in IRC it'd be "A build failed — {2,000 character URL that takes up ten lines}." When our company retired its Jabber server in favor of Hipchat, all the engineers grumbled because Jabber worked just fine. But now we use the hell out of the integrations. (Sadly, Hipchat lags behind in key metrics like “loving working properly,” and I'd be thrilled if we switched to Slack.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just wait until someone discovers HTML email!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

savetheclocktower posted:

Companies pay for Slack not because they're unaware of IRC, but because they don't want to run a goddamn in-house IRC server. In general companies like to pay for things so that there's recourse when something breaks — you can get on the phone and yell at someone and threaten to withhold payment.

And, yes, Slack is really easy to integrate with other services, and the basic HTML support means that a message can say "A build failed — click here to investigate" whereas in IRC it'd be "A build failed — {2,000 character URL that takes up ten lines}." When our company retired its Jabber server in favor of Hipchat, all the engineers grumbled because Jabber worked just fine. But now we use the hell out of the integrations. (Sadly, Hipchat lags behind in key metrics like “loving working properly,” and I'd be thrilled if we switched to Slack.)

So what you're saying is we need Cloud-IRC, or IRCaaS?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Seriously Slack's done a really good job of building a platform that's customizable and hackable enough for engineers while being user friendly enough for the sales team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RJZMSsH7-g

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

savetheclocktower posted:

Companies don't pay for the privilege of "yelling at someone to withhold payment" (though I can certainly see how that might seem to be the case when you're on the receiving end of the aforementioned yelling). Companies pay for things because it costs more to run them in house than to just pay for an outside vendor to do it.

In this case, do you really want to pay for an extra employee (or more likely employees, for redundancy) to run a loving in house IRC server? Hell no. That's a minimum $50k/year investment with wages and benefits, assuming you can even manage to hire a sysadmin for like $35-40k. Plus, you need to manage that new employee, and have meetings about the IRC server, and all of this extra bullshit. It's far better to just pay Slack a few hundred or thousand bucks a year to have it taken care of for you.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The thing that struck me as odd with Slack is that everything is logged on their servers which must mean a potential bonanza for any litigation discoveries. I read that was their model anyway, somewhere.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

priznat posted:

The thing that struck me as odd with Slack is that everything is logged on their servers which must mean a potential bonanza for any litigation discoveries. I read that was their model anyway, somewhere.

Unlimited permanent retention is actually an add-on that they sell for companies that need that level of compliance (Google for work, office 365 etc also sell that specifically as a premium feature for the same reason)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I always figured that even for normal accounts, Google just keeps everything you've deleted until they need the disk space again.

Or do they actually zero out the space your files were in after you've "permanently deleted them"?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I always figured that even for normal accounts, Google just keeps everything you've deleted until they need the disk space again.

Or do they actually zero out the space your files were in after you've "permanently deleted them"?

https://apps.google.com/products/vault/

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

IRC was created by nerds and academics so that nerds and academics from various organizations, universities, companies, and mothers' basements could talk to each other anonymously with various levels of security if one was so inclined. It is an open protocol that supports the development of a multitude of tools that can fit the needs of the various people I just mentioned.

Slack was created for companies that need all their employees to communicate fast and easily with each other with a baseline level of security. There is really no need to go to more depth over why it became more popular than IRC in the corporate world. We could have some discussions about how weird it is that people use it to talk with their own family, but other than that there is nothing weird about slack being so popular.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rexides posted:

IRC was created by nerds and academics so that nerds and academics from various organizations, universities, companies, and mothers' basements could talk to each other anonymously with various levels of security if one was so inclined.

Well, kinda. The various levels of security it was designed for way back in the 80s were 'None', because noone worried about such things back then. I guess a few support SSL connections now, but that's pretty recent and otherwise it's all wide-open plain text.

However, lol at the suggestion you'd hire a guy to run an IRC server full-time. You can set one up in about five minutes and it really doesn't need much maintenance or resources assuming you're not trying to get, like, all of IBM's employees on there.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 9, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

feedmegin posted:

Well, kinda. The various levels of security it was designed for way back in the 80s were 'None', because noone worried about such things back then. I guess a few support SSL connections now, but that's pretty recent and otherwise it's all wide-open plain text.

However, lol at the suggestion you'd hire a guy to run an IRC server full-time. You can set one up in about five minutes and it really doesn't need much maintenance or resources assuming you're not trying to get, like, all of IBM's employees on there.

And if it breaks?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Veskit posted:

And if it breaks?

Then you spend another 5 minutes restarting it. Or stick it on a VM and roll back to a working snapshot if something's gone wrong. IRC servers are just not heavyweight enterprise-style pieces of software with lots of configuration or lots of moving parts to go wrong. You don't need to spend much time maintaining them at the sort of scale your average company would use.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Then you spend another 5 minutes restarting it. Or stick it on a VM and roll back to a working snapshot if something's gone wrong. IRC servers are just not heavyweight enterprise-style pieces of software with lots of configuration or lots of moving parts to go wrong. You don't need to spend much time maintaining them at the sort of scale your average company would use.

Except you can't just roll it back because compliance and auditing dictates you retain every message regarding work that flows through a company channel.

This is why companies are happy to outsource this stuff to people like slack.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you think IRC is a viable business communication solution you are deep in a bubble.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

blunt posted:

Except you can't just roll it back because compliance and auditing dictates you retain every message regarding work that flows through a company channel.

Exactly this. No one pays Slack to run a chat service, as evidenced by the fact that they literally give that functionality away for free. You pay when you need more out of it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Who in the magic gently caress do you think is doing this?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

God drat people like you are why project managers like me have jobs.

blunt posted:

Didn't know it was a requirement. Makes sense though, especially when you're indited and they have to go through slack to get any info

The Dave posted:

If you think IRC is a viable business communication solution you are deep in a bubble.

The Dave posted:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
This thread is loving unreadable for non-nerds

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I'm in TVIV and here is 2 and a half pages of reading all about hip new communication platforms Goons don't understand.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

extravadanza posted:

I'm in TVIV and here is 2 and a half pages of reading all about hip new communication platforms Goons don't understand.

I mean, given where we're talking it kind of makes sense how they could have a dated sense of communication, but jesus the gently caress christ they have no idea who works. Like, have you guys ever gone to work with people who may or may not understand computers in general? Like, your parents?

You have to set up computer poo poo for your parents to use and then you go yeah just execute these unix commands and open up IRC to talk in these channels about... Nothing? Also find that super important message that Julia said because she's being a bitch and pretending like you never told her that she had htis thing due.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Pron on VHS posted:

It's just like the Game of Thrones thread :spergin: about real life sword fighting techniques and armor styles.

Or The Expanse thread going on about physics and gravity.

Or the Mr Robot thread talking about the accuracy of the techniques used and commands shown on screen.

Which is kind of the point I think.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

blunt posted:

No see, you can just write a few scripts (after you meet with compliance several times to get their requirements) to implement the logging you need!

Sure, we'll have to have multiple meetings about structuring the IRC server, and IT will have to train the employees about how it works because it's made for nerds, not Carol in accounting. But think about it: we can just have Gary maintain the internal server in between his other tasks. It's practically free!

Congratulations: you now have company chat without spending the few hundred bucks for a slack subscription. And it only costs tens of thousands of dollars in salaries and company time to get it running!

Oh shoot, the server is down and Gary is on vacation? Uh, just use email in the meantime, I guess.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Last Chance posted:

Thiss is Too Hard for most normies. The command line itself is just too large of a barrier.

Enough time has gone by that typing a command in to tell a computer to" change directory" is completely alien to most people. No one is used to "commanding" operations from a computer (unless it's something like Siri or voice commanded).

Because why would I do that when I can see the directory as a folder right in front of my eyes, ready to be clicked, touched, whatever?

lol, you are so far down the rabbit hole that you think moving a folder involves a command line.

The only thing PP needs is a select file button. At most you should also be able to drag a folder or file into the icon and it auto running, as the guy you quoted say. Just a simple green colored interface with one or two large buttons.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

extravadanza posted:

I'm in TVIV and here is 2 and a half pages of reading all about medieval sword fighting techniques Goons don't understand.
:qqsay:

extravadanza posted:

I'm in TVIV and here is 2 and a half pages of reading all about physics and gravity that Goons don't understand.

extravadanza posted:

I'm in TVIV and here is 2 and a half pages of reading all about tor exit nodes and encryption that Goons don't understand.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Some people watch SV for the slapstick comedy and nudity, not for the nerd references. Whatever floats your boat. :shrug:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NERDY stuff in my SILICON VALLEY THREAD???????????? It's more likely than you think.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

waitwhatno posted:

Some people watch SV for the slapstick comedy and nudity, not for the nerd references. Whatever floats your boat. :shrug:

Nudity? :psyduck:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Are you not watching the Director's Cut episodes where Jared hangs dong?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The guy fucks.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Oh new posts. Clicks thread. More stuff not about the show.

I was against it before, but loving close the thread until Sunday please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

The Mandingo posted:

Oh new posts. Clicks thread. More stuff not about the show.

I was against it before, but loving close the thread until Sunday please.

how hard is it not to click on the thread until Sunday

• Locked thread