Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

The only FF I dislike is FFVIII. Even then, it has its good moments. There are precisely two video games in existence that I hate. As some will know, Star Ocean 3 is one and the other is Metal Gear Solid 4. Other than that, I can find something nice to say about any video game I've ever played.

Wait, that's your metric? I can say something nice about Tecmo's Secret of the Stars, doesn't make it anything but poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hi, I actually don't like this series, and I never got into it because I just saw friends play it and I thought it was the most boring poo poo imaginable. I thought, Final Fantasy 7 and 8 or whatever was cool I guess, buuuut I was busy playing manly poo poo like Red Alert 2.

Anyways, I am actually interested in this new game, I saw the 50 dollar demo stream a year back by Chipcheezum, and basically what i saw was a very weird modern/fantasy version of Dragon's Dogma. Am I getting this right?

Because If so, I think it's about time for me to start here, and on the Remake of FF7, so I can see what the fuss is about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If we're including spin off titles into the mix that is a much deeper well that I don't think even Dirge of Cerberus is the bottom of. Granted most of the truly poo poo ones are feature phone games made from like 2004-2010 but Final Fantasy: All the Bravest and many of the Chocobo series games are not good and those got translated.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I think we're awfully privileged that the worst this series has to offer is mediocrity. Like I'll sit here and poo poo all over 3DS for being a busted mess that fails to live up to the already low bar set by the game it is a remake of, but it's still only mediocre at worst. The same goes for XIII-2, replacing "remake" with "sequel."

I've really gained a new appreciation of this series through my experience with Suikoden 4.

E: I'll admit that I've never played All The Bravest but from what I've heard it actually is terrible in every way so I guess the above statement doesn't hold quite as much weight. We're still doing pretty well, though!

CeallaSo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 9, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Wait, that's your metric? I can say something nice about Tecmo's Secret of the Stars, doesn't make it anything but poo poo.

What can I say? I'm a very accepting person. A game has to do a lot to really piss me off. It can bore me, it can make me think a lot of it is dumb, but to actually say "yeah, that game was total and utter poo poo"? It's gotta really work at it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

I think we're awfully privileged that the worst this series has to offer is mediocrity. Like I'll sit here and poo poo all over 3DS for being a busted mess that fails to live up to the already low bar set by the game it is a remake of, but it's still only mediocre at worst. The same goes for XIII-2, replacing "remake" with "sequel."

I've really gained a new appreciation of this series through my experience with Suikoden 4.

E: I'll admit that I've never played All The Bravest but from what I've heard it actually is terrible in every way so I guess the above statement doesn't hold quite as much weight. We're still doing pretty well, though!

All the Bravest is all of the gameplay of rubbing your cellphone screen over and over again as though you were polishing steel to a mirror sheen on strictly controlled intervals due to energy limits intermixed with real earth-currency gambling to unlock new characters. It legitimately has less gameplay than video blackjack machines, worse payouts, and has the gall to tell you to sit down and wait to play it more.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

What can I say? I'm a very accepting person. A game has to do a lot to really piss me off. It can bore me, it can make me think a lot of it is dumb, but to actually say "yeah, that game was total and utter poo poo"? It's gotta really work at it.

Well, I have a nice thing to say about Star Ocean 3. The intro cinematic was really, really cool. It might be my favorite intro cinematic to any game that ever existed. It's extremely and abruptly downhill from there though.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

bloodychill posted:

Well, I have a nice thing to say about Star Ocean 3. The intro cinematic was really, really cool. It might be my favorite intro cinematic to any game that ever existed. It's extremely and abruptly downhill from there though.

Isn't that the one with the worst JRPG protagonist name ever, FAYT LEINGOD?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

How Rude posted:

Isn't that the one with the worst JRPG protagonist name ever, FAYT LEINGOD?

And VA so stiff it makes FFX sound like a BBC radio play, the very same.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I also have a nice thing to say about Star Ocean 3: it wasn't Star Oceans 4 or 5 :v:

I have a weird nostalgic affection for SO2 but I'm also totally willing to say that no game in the series has ever really been good

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

And VA so stiff it makes FFX sound like a BBC radio play, the very same.

Since we were just talking about him, did you know Alexander O. Smith worked on this game? I've heard he has basically said that there are some turds you can't polish into gold no matter how good a localizer you are. SO3 proves that nicely and I think the voice-actors suffered because of it as well.

Also glancing at Smith's wiki page, he did the lyrics for Blue Dragon's boss theme. He really is the man.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

Since we were just talking about him, did you know Alexander O. Smith worked on this game? I've heard he has basically said that there are some turds you can't polish into gold no matter how good a localizer you are. SO3 proves that nicely and I think the voice-actors suffered because of it as well.

I didn't, but then the only translators I know anything about are Woolsey because of his interesting stories and the guy who did Trails in the Sky because of what a trial it was. I think it's definitely not all all on him here. Voice direction is important too so you can have pretty talented people who just aren't given much to work with. An example I recently noticed was Mae Whitman knocking it out of the park in Avatar:TLA and then sounding pretty stilted in Dirge of Cerberus around the same time-frame.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
On FF8 I managed to do diablo a few times as soon as you get the item by just spamming the poo poo out of magic roulette and hoping to get lucky. Took like an hour each time though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I didn't, but then the only translators I know anything about are Woolsey because of his interesting stories and the guy who did Trails in the Sky because of what a trial it was. I think it's definitely not all all on him here. Voice direction is important too so you can have pretty talented people who just aren't given much to work with. An example I recently noticed was Mae Whitman knocking it out of the park in Avatar:TLA and then sounding pretty stilted in Dirge of Cerberus around the same time-frame.

Eh, the voicework on DOC was never one of my problems with it. I am really glad Kari Wahlgren is reprising her role as Shelke for WOFF.

But yes, voice-direction and script are everything. I know many of the VAs from SO3 and they are pretty awesome in things that aren't SO3. Xenosaga Episode I and Star Ocean 3 came out roughly around the same time I think and they share a lot of the same dub VAs but it's really night and day in terms of quality. Xenosaga had a lot of problems but the English dub was never one of them.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Laslow posted:

I'm having a blast with this ROM patcher, the Final Fantasy III(US) Beyond Chaos Randomizer. Here's an idea of what to expect, from the readme(the default is randomize all, of course):

If you would like to customize your experience, here is a list of flags and what they do:
o Shuffle characters' in-battle commands.
w Generate new commands for characters, replacing old commands.
z Always have "Sprint Shoes" effect.
b Make the game more balanced by removing exploits such as Joker Doom,
Vanish/Doom, and the Evade/Mblock bug.
m Randomize enemy stats.
c Randomize palettes and names of various things.
i Randomize the stats of equippable items.
q Randomize what equipment each character can wear and character stats.
e Randomize esper spells and levelup bonuses.
t Randomize treasure, including chests, colosseum, shops, and enemy drops.
u Umaro risk. (Random character will be berserk)
l Randomize blitz inputs.
n Randomize window background colors.
f Randomize enemy formations.
s Swap character graphics around.
p Randomize the palettes of spells and weapon animations.
d Randomize final dungeon.
a Organize rages alphabetically (default)
h Organize rages by highest level first

I knew it was something special when I fired up my freshly patched ROM and the into's lightning flashes were ultra-teal. Then I died on the Whelk when I attacked it with Blaster, which is a suicide attack, apparently. It's like the FFV 4-job fiesta on bath salts.

this is amazing until you get too far in and you
- get a character with any one of the ridiculously overpowered completely zero predictability R-Ability
- roll an encounter that is locked as a back attack or pincer attack that is obnoxious to fight or one shots you
- a couple other things that can occur

and you're too far in to bother with wanting to restart. it also seems to be based off of an old version of brave new world which it applies first so several bosses like atma weapon will gently caress you up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zolthorg posted:

It looks like he's credited on Legend of Mana and the one thing i can deride that game for is no textbox ever making sense. And I don't just mean Teepo

No I know what you mean, he's also credited in Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and you can tell which parts he was responsible for translating because they are fuckin' word salad.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

No I know what you mean, he's also credited in Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and you can tell which parts he was responsible for translating because they are fuckin' word salad.

idk about chocobos dankgeon but legend of mana (greatest of all time) would probably have been more then a 1 translator affair because that game is dialogue heavy

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Well, the metric he defined refers to whether he likes or hates a game, not if it's good or lovely. They aren't exactly the same thing, and I can see where he's coming from. I don't really hate most games either, but I'd still say a lot of games are complete garbo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm with you. The only thing that would make me actively dislike a game is the inclusion of scummy business practices around the game. Mediocrity is just boring, but somebody put effort into it at some point just to make it, you know? The games that actually deserve hate are the ones made by a team of business analysts and marketers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Training posted:

I'm with you. The only thing that would make me actively dislike a game is the inclusion of scummy business practices around the game. Mediocrity is just boring, but somebody put effort into it at some point just to make it, you know? The games that actually deserve hate are the ones made by a team of business analysts and marketers.

Nah, Custers Revenge is a bad game in the sense that it is an affront to people with even a modicum of respect for other people and absolutely deserving of scorn far beyond oh man micro transactions. Games are a business and sometimes that wrecks a game mechanically but the artistic vision of a game absolutely can make a game unbelievably poo poo and downright evil either through incompetence or malicious intent.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I believe Custers Revenge is a joke by one guy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Training posted:

I believe Custers Revenge is a joke by one guy.

Not a joke at all, made by a registered and branded video game company and sold for real dollars with the company making other truly poo poo erotic games and when it went bankrupt Custers Revenge got bought by another company who preceded to edit it to make it a bit less offensive.

Edit: if we stick just with SE games there is The Third Birthday which makes other m look tasteful and dignified in addition to being well thought out and plotted.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 9, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
There's a line with the business thing too because games are a business in addition to being entertainment/art/etc. Treating them that way isn't always bad. Sometimes, the question "but is this game actually fun and good so that we can sell it?" can actually come from the more business-minded people when the designers and coders are still "stuck" inside their vision for the game. The pessimistic behaviorism stuff that has become a big part of game monetization is almost uniformly scummy though, I won't disagree with that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Jesus Christ, confusion in FFX-2 makes you use random items out of your inventory! (random in this case meaning probably the most valuable thing you currently have) Just no! I reject this design choice! This is horrible! How can I hoard all the elixirs if the game's gonna make me "randomly" waste them?
This is hurting me in a very deep part of my soul. And this game moves super fast for an ATB system too, meaning you probably won't actually have time to both notice and cure the confusion before at least one action gets queued up.

Well, at least this is actually the first thing I honestly dislike about this game after about 8 hours of play, so maybe I can deal with my crippling item hoarding tendencies for the rest of the games' sake.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Jesus Christ, confusion in FFX-2 makes you use random items out of your inventory! (random in this case meaning probably the most valuable thing you currently have) Just no! I reject this design choice! This is horrible! How can I hoard all the elixirs if the game's gonna make me "randomly" waste them?
This is hurting me in a very deep part of my soul. And this game moves super fast for an ATB system too, meaning you probably won't actually have time to both notice and cure the confusion before at least one action gets queued up.

Well, at least this is actually the first thing I honestly dislike about this game after about 8 hours of play, so maybe I can deal with my crippling item hoarding tendencies for the rest of the games' sake.

This might be kind of spoilers but you get a dressphere in the game which not only has abilities like Rikku's Mix from FFX but can use them at any time, but also have an ability that lets them use items without expending any of them and you can do this infinitely. This includes Elixirs, though it takes a whopping 999 AP to learn. So don't worry too much about randomly wasting items.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The game is trying to warn you. Use your items before they're gone forever. It's a plead for help.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've played through FFX-2 1.5 times and never knew about that

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hoarding is a standard and time honored RPG tradition dating all the way back to the days of Galaga and its rip off, Galaxia. It is an essential part of being a RPG player. Little baby RPG players simulate the hoarding motions without even knowing what they mean.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I had 99 megalixirs by the time I reached X-2's optional superboss so I used them like a regular consumable every turn + it felt extremely good

I think that's the only time I've ever used megalixirs in a Final Fantasy

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just wanted to say that I just started FFX-2 and while I'm totally on board with turning this into a J-Pop game with the opening concert, I grabbed a Japanese voice patch to see how it sounded (I'd heard parts of the games in English through LPs before) and 'Yuna' singing sounds absolutely nothing like her VA at all lol.

How is it in English?

E: They line up as Rikku->Yuna->Paine when posing but they're called YuRiPa instead of RiYuPa? 0/10 trash game :colbert:

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 9, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It sounds fine, but Hedy Burress is definitely not the one singing.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I might take it as a hint that it's not Yuna singing there (if I understood the fight correctly anyway, I wasn't paying much attention to when the imposter came along) but that might be giving too much credit. Probably just wanted a decent vocalist for the opening performance of the whole game!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's another song Yuna does later where it's actually her this time and yeah, it's pretty transparent they just wanted a good vocalist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There are times that they hire a second VA just for singing. Gundam SEED had a singer with two VA's as well.

Yuna's english singer is Jade Villalon.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah, I know that's not uncommon but the voice just sounded absolutely nothing like her (to me anyway) and generally you try to make the singer at least somewhat able to pass for the VA, right?

I will commend Yuna on her choice of upgrading from lame staff to guns which earns this game a + from me, instantly considering taking that away when I see the disaster that is Ms. Imposter's regular outfit. Letting it slide since it's not a party-member having a fashion faux-pas that large. Although Rikku could do with some more clothes.

E: Ah, the weapons change with the outfits huh. Makes sense. I'm still gonna jot Yuna down as gun-toting though.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tae posted:

There are times that they hire a second VA just for singing. Gundam SEED had a singer with two VA's as well.

Yuna's english singer is Jade Villalon.

Jade was actually a serviceable pop star at that time, I liked her albums.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

there's a mod for that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Amppelix posted:

i can't think of any items that i'd consider valuable enough to really care if they get used, considering your jobs do everything items do better

course, i kinda forget items exist in any game except FF5 cause of Mix, and FFX for the same reason

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh wait X-2 has a alchemist doesn't it, i forget off-hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Barudak posted:

Nah, Custers Revenge is a bad game in the sense that it is an affront to people with even a modicum of respect for other people and absolutely deserving of scorn far beyond oh man micro transactions. Games are a business and sometimes that wrecks a game mechanically but the artistic vision of a game absolutely can make a game unbelievably poo poo and downright evil either through incompetence or malicious intent.

I really do believe that Custers Revenge is the Godwin of video game design discussion.

Aside, should I DL the demo for FF15? I'm going to get it regardless, but I don't know if I want to get that taste in my mouth this early or wait until I can follow the hype up with actually getting the game.