Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Doctor Zero posted:

Thread moves fast so I don't know if everyone here has already seen something similar but I have finally perfected the D.Va Bunny Buzz Bomb technique after many seconds of trying.

omg I have to try this today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BadLlama posted:

Doesnt he only have 150?

Even worse!

(I think I was playing with a Symmetra so that makes sense).

Seriously, he's the squishiest of characters with no real way to avoid or mitigate incoming damage, having health that regens don't do poo poo if you die to a stiff breeze.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
In the right hands a Zen can discord orb and cut someone down pretty quick.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alkydere posted:

Even worse!

(I think I was playing with a Symmetra so that makes sense).

Seriously, he's the squishiest of characters with no real way to avoid or mitigate incoming damage, having health that regens don't do poo poo if you die to a stiff breeze.

Yeah usually when I hear people discussing Zen w/r/t his health it's usually under the assumption that he's being boosted by Symm so I just assumed that's what you were doing. Soz.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
This is the first game I've played where the color blind options actually change the entire game's color and not just the name tags, it's nice but turns your game into :catdrugs:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grammaton posted:

And if you're able to voice comm with your teammates, just let them know who has discord so they can focus fire and melt away enemy teams even faster.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zen on defense with symmetra+torb is actually effective, since the armor goes on under your boosted 125 hp shield. Without those health boosts he's just too squishy. He's still playable if there isn't a widow on the enemy team though.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Ahhpple posted:

The problem with this is that the best way to slow down the enemy team is not to put them behind an ice wall, but to put them back in the spawn room by killing them. Mei just doesnt kill people fast enough. At close range McCree and Reaper kill faster. At medium and long range Soldier and Widow (and McCree) kill faster. Adding a Mei to a team just decreases its damage output by too much and the icewall doesn't make up for it. Killing people is too important.

Spent ten words on ice wall in my post. I don't see how you concluded that I was ineffectually putting entire teams behind ice walls where they are mildly inconvenienced.

I'm not looking to revolutionize the pro scene with my Mei play here. I shared how I play Mei and why I think it's successful: the ability to slow targets for teammates, split pushes in two, stall objectives, etc. I said that she's in her element when she's mixing it up in a small area (like a capture point) with other squishier, more damage-oriented teammates bringing the hurt.

I also implied that heroes popular in the pro scene are good against her. Two of these heroes are "on the radar" for re-balancing. She's not a bad character. Her most threatening enemies happen to be slightly over-tuned and, thus, popular.

I'm not saying she doesn't have problems with the aforementioned Mcree or Widowmaker or situations where another character would be a better pick, but what hero doesn't?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I've been playing around with Zen off and on the past two days and he seems most viable if you've got a Reinhardt to stay behind. As long as you keep your distance, you can orb most heroes to death rather quickly. My best match had me doing a total of 11,747 damage. I'm hoping for like 25 more health in the next patch, but for now you'll have to rely on Symmetra or Tjorborn to not get boned by snipers.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Elman posted:

Nobody tell them the other roles are much more fun :ssh:

Until I find something more satisfying than killing people as Mercy I'm gonna doubt this.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Did they actually say that WIdow was going to be rebalanced?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

I just want to say that I love that Overwatch made the support role as fun and as integral to the success of the team as any other role because I loving love playing support.

amateur

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Did they actually say that WIdow was going to be rebalanced?

She's "on their radar" and they're doing some internal changes to see what they can do with her, though they haven't been more specific than that.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Where are you getting these fancy graphs

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BadLlama posted:

Where are you getting these fancy graphs

http://masteroverwatch.com/

the leaderboards/aggregate stats suck because its heavily just time played and there's no transparency in how they collect/present their data, but the personal stats are neat and well-presented

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I mean I'm fully understanding that level isn't indicative of skill whatsoever but it really is loving stupid that I can be matched in a group with 4 people under Level 10 and against a full team with no one under 40

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A - bullshit
or
B - grats you are in the top level of players, and this is like some college basketball player going to a local court and draining 3's saying "i do not get why people say this is hard, it was always easy for me"
Mei is bad, though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Grammaton posted:

Yeah, he can melt tanks incredibly fast, and that's real satisfying to do. He can also contribute pretty well on the final leg of certain payload defense maps (particularly Hollywood), since the lack of falloff on his attacks makes long hallways into great shooting galleries.

But he gets eaten alive in just about every one-on-one situation unless he has a solid distance advantage (and the other player's not a sniper). He can't escape like other supports can, and he's not built for fighting on even terms.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 9, 2016

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

seagull is the only person i've seen make Mei look really powerful which probably means she isn't

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

sarmhan posted:

Zen on defense with symmetra+torb is actually effective, since the armor goes on under your boosted 125 hp shield. Without those health boosts he's just too squishy. He's still playable if there isn't a widow on the enemy team though.

Also with the discord orb, walking into some turrets can melt them pretty fast. I like the Zen/Sym combo. Although it's not as strong as Lucio/Mercy, it is pretty fun to have supports that can sometimes kill the enemy before they kill you.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Wow I need this Fool Junkrat skin.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Grammaton posted:

Wow I need this Fool Junkrat skin.

Why do Overwatch heroes have such poor taste in belts

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tales of Woe posted:

seagull is the only person i've seen make Mei look really powerful which probably means she isn't

And even he got wrecked pretty hard when he tried to play her earlier today.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What I learned from this website is I need to just play Soldier 76 100% of the time.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

mormonpartyboat posted:

some other poo poo I said

im just glad i dont want to play zenyatta

Salt in the wound bro. I love Zenyatta and have played him enough to develop a sixth sense for Widows. I've even gotten to the point where I can discord and counter-snipe Widows with the spacial awareness of a toaster, but decent Widows still ruin my life. WTB 25 more health PST best offer (looking at you Blizz...).

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Help Im Alive posted:

Why do Overwatch heroes have such poor taste in belts

Tetsuya Nomura's reach is long, indeed.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Verranicus posted:

This game has a very real chance of becoming first-person Hearthstone. Don't want to die to that enemy hero? Well you shouldn't have picked that hero you were using. Now go respawn as that hero's counter, and then when they switch to your new hero's counter, die and respawn as that hero's counter. Doesn't matter whether you have better aim or movement, you have to be using the right hero to have a chance against that one.

You think it's bad now? Wait until they have eventually doubled the hero count. There are only so many weapons and items and abilities that can work in a game like this without creating severe balance issues and just plain unfun mechanics.

Think about it: There are "only" 21 characters now, yet we have a stupidly OP Widow, annoying and slightly OP McCree, Mei freezing people in place and going invulnerable at will, and three characters whose non-ultimate abilities involve auto-aim weapons. If Blizzard released the game with these issues, just wait until the game has 40 heroes. How many variations on hitscan, projectile, exploding, and area-of-effect can there be without having an enormous amount of unfun?

And people keep talking about "area damage" characters being in the works. You think it's bad now to walk around a corner and get one-shot bodyshotted? Imagine walking into a room and dying just because a certain enemy hero is standing in the same room, not even moving or shooting. But it will be "okay" because that hero will have "counters," and you can avoid it by "just killing them" or "just not walking into that room" or "just picking their counter."

What, you wanted to play Rogue? LOL, noob. At least you don't have to grind to unlock cards in this game; you just have to grind past low MMR and then deal with good Widows.

Source your quotes or nice meltdown

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
The idea Mei is strong probably comes from the idea that it feels unfair when control is taken away from you and you are killed. McCree does it and we all think he's too strong and needs to be fixed. Mei does the same thing, so she must be strong too (she isn't).

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mei is trash.

<---------

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mei is good because freezing people is funny.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Mei has good skins and a strong design but she attracts a ton of creeplords so on the whole it's a wash.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Grammaton posted:

disc. orb is legitimately busted and unfun to play against and if they make that champ not die to one widow bodyshot and he springs up in every game it will be a dire day for meatboys everywhere

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

5 torbs, 1 meltdown

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lady Naga posted:

Mei has good skins and a strong design but she attracts a ton of creeplords so on the whole it's a wash.

this game attracts creeps to a degree i am entirely unfamiliar with

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Minrad posted:

5 torbs, 1 meltdown

Torb is hella gay though in a non-pejorative sense.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I am mostly dead to it at this point :sigh:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's the anime taint

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Buff discord orb so the whole team can see its marker through walls instead of just the Zenyatta who threw it.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Has anyone come across a 6 roadhog team? I played against one with some goons yesterday and even with 2 lucios and a bunch of dpsers we couldn't widdle them down fast enough to win the koth points. we lost both maps pretty badly.

I did get play of the game as lucio with 3 roadhog environmental kill though. (Nepal)

Although good on KotH in general, I wouldn't suggest doubling down on Lucio in this situation. Roadhog has very high burst damage which sucks for a heal-over-time character like Lucio and he has an easier time corralling Lucio than other characters because of his hook.

Zeni and Dva would be my suggestions for a gimmick all roadhog comp. Discord helps tremendously with securing a roadhog kill and Dva has a fairly easy time going toe-to-toe with him. Reaper and McCree are the obvious choices but would require a lot more skill then Dva or Zeni to be effective since 6 hooks means they are hosed if they don't flank effectively.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The three stat sites I know about are https://playoverwatch.com http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes and https://watcher.gg/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Buff discord orb so the whole team can see its marker through walls instead of just the Zenyatta who threw it.

things that subconsciously get bad players to cooperate like this and overtime are some of the most dangerous mechanics u can tweak in a game like this