Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Factor Mystic posted:

This season feels really fresh for some reason. You'd think by now it'd be tired and done, but cast additions like Richard and Joh*h running for congress really make it compelling.

Boosting the secondary & tertiary characters is what's keeping this show so great. Dropping Jonah, Dan & Amy from the Veep staff and letting them spread their wings (even if only for a bit) has really helped lift the past few seasons. Add in Catherine and everything that's been going on with her this season and you've got a ton of wells to draw from for stories.

Edit: this season added an extra layer of vulgarity & crass onto the dialogue as well, which works well with the sense of frustration from the Meyer campaign.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Lycus posted:

And in Season 6, Jon H. is going to be a congressman, but still come by to hang around with the main cast all the time.
Yeah, I hope they actually let him beat his old teacher instead of resetting his character again after this season. Seeing the version of Jonah with some actual political clout instead of a head filled with delusion and an influential uncle would be rad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It'd be loving insane which of course is why it needs to happen.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jonah Ryan is gonna lose the election to surprise write-in candidate Jon H Ryan.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Illinois Smith posted:

oh right, I knew I forgot something

Hahaha, that was the best part of the episode. Well, except for Selina rage monster.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

"Alright! I wanted to gently caress your brains out!"

"There ya go! And now you're trying to gently caress me tonight!"

"No, I am loving you tonight."

"No, I'm gonna gently caress you!"

Have a shorter reaction gif.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is it just me or this season has drastically dropped in quality? There is no subtlety anymore and every character is more of a caricature now. Everything about Jonah is absolutely transparent and unfunny.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Paladinus posted:

Is it just me or this season has drastically dropped in quality? There is no subtlety anymore and every character is more of a caricature now. Everything about Jonah is absolutely transparent and unfunny.

Don't worry, it's just you. Jonah was never a subtile person.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Is it just me or this season has drastically dropped in quality?

So there's like no way you read the last page of posts and just wanted to post some hate, right?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Also, this might not have been intended as a joke but I find it hilarious that nobody believed Dan when he said Tom James was in bed with Purcell, but Mike of all people saying it has everyone on board.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Dave posted:

So there's like no way you read the last page of posts and just wanted to post some hate, right?

I've read two last pages before posting.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
it is just you

NEXT

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I must have just like missed all of Season 4 because i don't remember watching it at all. The loving Easter Bunny bit at Easter is loving killer.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

"Alright! I wanted to gently caress your brains out!"

"There ya go! And now you're trying to gently caress me tonight!"

"No, I am loving you tonight."

"No, I'm gonna gently caress you!"

Have a shorter reaction gif.

His time at the Millford School served him well.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, I hope they actually let him beat his old teacher instead of resetting his character again after this season. Seeing the version of Jonah with some actual political clout instead of a head filled with delusion and an influential uncle would be rad.

Speaking for the great state of New Hampshire, I can assure you that Jonah would fit right in with our current crop of clowns like :

Frank "It's Family Money" Guinta
http://bit.ly/1YatCcn

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I don't like the Jonah running for office subplot because it's so blindingly unrealistic, but I don't think the show's drastically gone downhill. It definitely leans more on caricatures than before but funny's still funny.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Paladinus posted:

I think Kent's jokes have become really obvious and he's more a shell of himself (he was introduced as being really important and influential, remember?) But Jonah is less of a caricature as he was during the Ryantology poo poo. Still is one (the two way mirror segment was cringeworthy for this reason, for instance) but not as much as he was back then. However, I think that they've done a great job with characters like Mike, Ben and Catherine. Really, those three characters alone have elevated this season higher than show has previously been. Meyers is great too, of course, but then she's always been.

I don't need the sex poo poo though, its HBO and all but the stuff with Selena's ex-husband fell flat in season 1, the Purcell poo poo fell flat this season and the Tom James sex parts fell flat this season and last season.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

I think Kent's jokes have become really obvious and he's more a shell of himself (he was introduced as being really important and influential, remember?) But Jonah is less of a caricature as he was during the Ryantology poo poo. Still is one (the two way mirror segment was cringeworthy for this reason, for instance) but not as much as he was back then. However, I think that they've done a great job with characters like Mike, Ben and Catherine. Really, those three characters alone have elevated this season higher than show has previously been. Meyers is great too, of course, but then she's always been.

I don't need the sex poo poo though, its HBO and all but the stuff with Selena's ex-husband fell flat in season 1, the Purcell poo poo fell flat this season and the Tom James sex parts fell flat this season and last season.

I like the sex stuff. Sex scandals and politics go hand in hand. It's not gratuitous nudity like other HBO shows. Also, your opinion is wrong as the Tom James parts have been killer.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't need the sex poo poo though, its HBO and all but
what is this the GoT thread?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I dug the first few episodes pretty much from the word go, but a few friends voiced concerns.

The double header of Mom and Cuntgate shut everyone up.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vegetable posted:

I don't like the Jonah running for office subplot because it's so blindingly unrealistic, but I don't think the show's drastically gone downhill. It definitely leans more on caricatures than before but funny's still funny.

Yeah, the jokes are funny, that's why I still watch the show. It's just I'm not sure I like the direction they are going with a more straightforward type of comedy.

Cliff Racer posted:

Fair point. I actually completely forgot about the Ryantology subplot. Maybe it's more noticeable this time around because the main plot also got slightly more outlandish, I don't know. As for sex parts, they are maybe over-relying on them this season, but I didn't think the Charlie Baird arc was that bad, for example.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A couple of seasons ago Selina was loving her fitness instructor, so the Charlie Baird thing didn't even stand out to me.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

And then her on again off again thing with Andrew. This whole complaint with sex in the show is super weird.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

This whole complaint with sex in the show is super weird.
It's all a combo of people looking for reasons the show may or may not have jumped the shark + reasons the show may or may not be worse due to Iannucci's absence.

Spoiler alert: It's still great.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jonah's campaign site now has music :allears: Plus a few new videos, including this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvDYVWrRNDU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The best part about those campaign videos is how they linger just a split-second too long at the end and makes Jonah look like a serial killer.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GobiasIndustries posted:

Jonah's campaign site now has music :allears: Plus a few new videos, including this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvDYVWrRNDU

"And I see myself in these children."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIbzUnhTp4

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I would be disappointed if there was not any sex scandals.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Illinois Smith posted:

It's all a combo of people looking for reasons the show may or may not have jumped the shark + reasons the show may or may not be worse due to Iannucci's absence.

Spoiler alert: It's still great.

As far as I am aware I am the only one who complained about the sex in the show--- and I think it always sucked.

Except for the fitness instructor stuff, which was hilarious.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Binged trough 5 Seasons in a week. This is motherfucking comedy gold. Did not mind the sex parts nor the one-view Mirror scene. It just keeps on being 100% hilarious in episode after episode.
Seriously one of the best tv series i have ever seen.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Also rewatching the whole series, and Jonah isn't going to stop as a congressman...he's been building his revenge

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Zsinjeh posted:

Also rewatching the whole series, and Jonah isn't going to stop as a congressman...he's been building his revenge

2022's not an election year!

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Wait til he gets held back by a minor driving ticket.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

victorious posted:

2022's not an election year!
Well then I'll CHANGE IT!!!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't care if it's unrealistic, Jonah needs to end up in a position of power

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I'm both laughing and being :smith: about them going out drunk to throw cum at Jonahs door.

You know what, gently caress it Jonah, you have my vote for congressman.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So if Jonah wins he's totally gonna end up being the deciding vote on Selina winning right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

So if Jonah wins he's totally gonna end up being the deciding vote on Selina winning right?
I haven't thought of it but you are probably right.

• Locked thread