Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Zaphod42 posted:

Some episodes I laugh at the whole time and still end up staring at a wall for a few minutes afterwards. poo poo is deep.

The closest thing I can think of to that balance was Scrubs, where they could be making poop jokes one minute and then talking about the tragic death of a beloved character the next.
R&M is both way funnier and way more real than Scrubs ever was though.

Rosanne also had some elements of that, in a more 90s Sitcome kind of way. The very first episode ends with John Goodman and Rosanne having a really loud, really hurtful argument with the kids in the next room over completely petty poo poo, and its SUPER real. Then one of their daughters runs in with a nasty gash on her hand and they switch into Team Amazing Parents mode like instantly, fix the wound in nothing flat, and once she's gone the fights over because it just wasn't that important in the grand scheme and they go have dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sanguinia posted:

Rosanne also had some elements of that, in a more 90s Sitcome kind of way. The very first episode ends with John Goodman and Rosanne having a really loud, really hurtful argument with the kids in the next room over completely petty poo poo, and its SUPER real. Then one of their daughters runs in with a nasty gash on her hand and they switch into Team Amazing Parents mode like instantly, fix the wound in nothing flat, and once she's gone the fights over because it just wasn't that important in the grand scheme and they go have dinner.

Roseanne was really fantastic. They did a lot of stuff that was great and real and that nobody else would go near.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Funkmaster General posted:

They're doing another Cable episode for season three.

Ugh.

Well, every show has to have its own Debbie Downer, I suppose. You know, the premise or skit that works great the first time, meh the second time, and probably never corrects course. I guess if you have an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of jars in an infinite lightning storm, sooner or later, a second one will capture some lightning in a jar. Maybe.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

tarlibone posted:

Ugh.

Well, every show has to have its own Debbie Downer, I suppose. You know, the premise or skit that works great the first time, meh the second time, and probably never corrects course. I guess if you have an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of jars in an infinite lightning storm, sooner or later, a second one will capture some lightning in a jar. Maybe.

Michael down your Vincents, my glipglop. The second one was good too it's just that the first one was 11/10. The third one will be good also :unsmith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fart was originally supposed to be voiced by David Bowie, but he declined.

That's really cool. Jemaine Clement was obviously doing his best Bowie impression. (And he nailed it)

crazy cloud posted:

Michael down your Vincents, my glipglop. The second one was good too it's just that the first one was 11/10. The third one will be good also :unsmith:

Yeah I don't get the hate for cable episode 2. It was still really hilarious. As long as they don't do more than one episode a season like that its not a huge deal.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 9, 2016

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
It's not that I hated Cable 2. It's just that it was a noticeable step down from Cable 1, and that was with them being self-aware that they'd nailed it the first time and joking that they weren't sure why they were doing it a 2nd time.

I compared it to that SNL skit because that's a good example of taking something hilarious and running it into the ground. I'd rather they not do that with Cable, but seeing as how the first three seasons are going to each feature one of these episodes, they're setting a precedent. I'm optimistic, but cautiously so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It's Rick & Morty's paintball episodes.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Just saw the Simpsons couch gag with Rick and Morty. "Oh, look at the baby one!" It was pretty great.

For some reason I feel it was written by the Simpsons team though. Or at least directed by the Simpsons team.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MrSlam posted:

Just saw the Simpsons couch gag with Rick and Morty. "Oh, look at the baby one!" It was pretty great.

For some reason I feel it was written by the Simpsons team though. Or at least directed by the Simpsons team.

Nope.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

prefect posted:

Roseanne was really fantastic.

It helps to pretend the last season didn't happen.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

The_Doctor posted:

It's Rick & Morty's paintball episodes.

The paintball episodes were always vastly different each season, they only followed the idea that stuff suddenly gets a lot more pretend-"serious", then it's a different genre parody.

I liked the cable episode, I don't really love them, but they're not bad. I hope the next one they'll bring something novel to it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Megaspel posted:

I liked the cable episode, I don't really love them, but they're not bad. I hope the next one they'll bring something novel to it.

Both of the cable episodes have had good stuff aside from what's on the TVs. Even if I don't care for the cable parts, the rest will probably make up for them.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

They compared the cable episodes to Treehouse of Horror. Like, it's not something they HAVE to do each season, it's something they GET to do. One of the commentators on that episode was an animator and he said they really love doing them because they are delivered the audio with no direction and get free reign to do whatever wacky poo poo they think fits.

Edit: Also Werner Herzog and Keith David both sound like fantastic people to work with. Werner asked for a second take, so he could "get the penis line just right."

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 9, 2016

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

rydiafan posted:

It helps to pretend the last season didn't happen.

I've seen people say this about a tonne of sitcoms. Seems like they always outstay their welcome

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

101 posted:

I've seen people say this about a tonne of sitcoms. Seems like they always outstay their welcome

There is a lot of money to be made from "just one more season" of a popular show.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Didn't the last season of Roseanne literally not happen, as it was just a fantasy book written by Rosanne after Dan died of a heart attack?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Wheres the rick and morty VR game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

prefect posted:

Both of the cable episodes have had good stuff aside from what's on the TVs. Even if I don't care for the cable parts, the rest will probably make up for them.

Yeah don't forget that cable 2 spent more time on Jerry's penis than it did on the actual television.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

They compared the cable episodes to Treehouse of Horror. Like, it's not something they HAVE to do each season, it's something they GET to do.

Bob's Burgers has a similar episode for the past three seasons. It's a "the kid's tell stories" anthology episode and IMO it's usually the weakest.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MrSlam posted:

Bob's Burgers has a similar episode for the past three seasons. It's a "the kid's tell stories" anthology episode and IMO it's usually the weakest.

You mean the ones like with the White Talkers? You're crazy. Shut your crazy face. Idiot.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

You mean the ones like with the White Talkers? You're crazy. Shut your crazy face. Idiot.

"Bobdor third wheel." Drops to his death

The good thing about Bob's Burgers though is that even the episodes I like the least are still really enjoyable. Moreso than most other television.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Man, I don't give a gently caress about what Gaben thinks about Rick and Morty

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would be okay if the next Cable episode is just audio of Roiland at a party yelling nonsense for 2 hours. That man is insane and should just be let loose.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think we shouldn't judge the cable episode before we see it. There's only been two so far, and even though I thought the most ofskits in the second one weren't as good as the skits in the first one the B story about Jerry's penis was amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Octopus man is the best thing on this show.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

lil' bits

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

eat some loving poo poo you stupid loving bitch!

just kiddin.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I wonder how many drinks he had before that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

On the commentary, he said he was completely wasted, and it was the last thing they recorded for the episode. Which is what it felt like, and why it's the best.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Didn't the last season of Roseanne literally not happen, as it was just a fantasy book written by Rosanne after Dan died of a heart attack?

If I remember correctly, the last two or three seasons of that show went completely off the rails -- Roseanne won the lottery and they spent a while being rich and having stupid rich adventures, and then Dan had a heart attack and died, and then the series finale(?) tried to retroactively gently caress over the rest of the show, as it turns out none of it was ever real, and it was all just Roseanne writing books or TV or something based on her life, except she changed some stuff around to fit better, like her daughters' husbands were actually reversed in real life, so all of the relationships we watched never really happened, and Dan died much earlier, and her sister was a lesbian, or was always a lesbian... I forget, and I'm not going to Google it because, like they just said, it's better to pretend the last season never happened.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

I wonder how many drinks he had before that.

Yeah I was gonna say, that feels like the drunkest take on the show yet.

Man vs Car and How they're made: Plumbuses both come close but Octopus Man is the most off-take. But I love that R&M totally includes rough takes like that which normal shows would edit.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Okay my favorite detail from the commentary is that when they play Hurt in the end of the finale it was supposed to be a cover with the words dirt and hurt replaced with Squanch.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

My empire of squanch? loving gross.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay my favorite detail from the commentary is that when they play Hurt in the end of the finale it was supposed to be a cover with the words dirt and hurt replaced with Squanch.

Holy poo poo that would have been amazing.

I liked the ending to season 2, but that cover would have made it even squanchier.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Holy poo poo that would have been amazing.

I liked the ending to season 2, but that cover would have made it even squanchier.

They also said that in its earliest form the episode was just set on squanch planet (no wedding) and the word squanch appeared in every sentence uttered by every character. The squanchy version of the song makes more sense in that context, although apparently the only thing that held them back from doing it even in the current form of the episode was licensing issues. I would have thought you could cover something like that under fair use by claiming parody, but I guess not.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Phenotype posted:

If I remember correctly, the last two or three seasons of that show went completely off the rails -- Roseanne won the lottery and they spent a while being rich and having stupid rich adventures, and then Dan had a heart attack and died, and then the series finale(?) tried to retroactively gently caress over the rest of the show, as it turns out none of it was ever real, and it was all just Roseanne writing books or TV or something based on her life, except she changed some stuff around to fit better, like her daughters' husbands were actually reversed in real life, so all of the relationships we watched never really happened, and Dan died much earlier, and her sister was a lesbian, or was always a lesbian... I forget, and I'm not going to Google it because, like they just said, it's better to pretend the last season never happened.

why the gently caress do you know so much about roasenna, a show in the wasteland of mid 90s tv?

whats your thoughts on cousin balky?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

why the gently caress do you know so much about Roseanne, a show in the wasteland of mid 90s tv?

You had to be there. Without the internet you end up watching an unhealthy a great amount of TV.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jesus, just imagine if this had been his last acting role. Like you scroll down to the bottom of his imdb page and see FART

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

KoRMaK posted:

whats your thoughts on cousin balky?

I don't appreciate your implied disdain for Perfect Strangers, that show is a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KoRMaK posted:

why the gently caress do you know so much about roasenna, a show in the wasteland of mid 90s tv?

Roseanne started in 1988.

• Locked thread