Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Blistex posted:

TNG came up with tablets and Android phones?

:rimshot:

edit: gently caress, new page... Um, how about them Voyagers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I would kill to see a dolphin borg.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

happyhippy posted:

I would kill to see a dolphin borg.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Volcott posted:

The dolphins were a Gunbuster reference, if I recall.

One of the writers really liked anime

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
50 pages, well done everyone! Remember, page 100 is the party page!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

50 pages, well done everyone! Remember, page 100 is the party page!

Pizza or ice cream?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Cthulu Carl posted:

Pizza or ice cream?

Ice cream on pizza, my friend

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

Here's a nitpick that seemed consistent throughout every series: When they're hailing another ship/planet/etc and they don't answer immediately they just assume there's no response. It's like calling someone and hanging up after one ring. Give them a chance to answer.

I guess it was just a concession to not have 30 seconds of waiting around though.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Pizza or ice cream?

First one, then t'other.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

dojokm posted:

Here's a nitpick that seemed consistent throughout every series: When they're hailing another ship/planet/etc and they don't answer immediately they just assume there's no response. It's like calling someone and hanging up after one ring. Give them a chance to answer.

I guess it was just a concession to not have 30 seconds of waiting around though.

It always bugged me too. Especially when they are hailing a species they've never encountered before, because who's to say they even have compatible communications technology?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also, surely not every species would have universal translator technology, shouldn't they be all like "holy poo poo you speak Phalxcon?"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

criscodisco posted:

It always bugged me too. Especially when they are hailing a species they've never encountered before, because who's to say they even have compatible communications technology?

When the Skrreea came aboard DS9 and were incomprehensible there was no defined protocol to establish a basis point for the universal translator to work from. So they took them to a dress shop.

Maybe that is the protocol.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Even that space garbage recognized how lovely federation/bajoran fashions are.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Isn't it amazing how the turbolift will listen to your conversation and open the doors right when there is a natural pause

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

These people disgust me.

Death to the beads and soiled linen race.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

shadow puppet of a posted:

These people disgust me.

Death to the beads and soiled linen race.

Dude had a holo projector that could power a small town of people.
Mother fucker is one of the smartest men alive in the Federation as Starfleet couldn't do this.
So Starfleet must have let him live until he died, then descended like vultures and turned of the town to get at the tech.
The girl didn't even get to see 18.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Isn't it amazing how the turbolift will listen to your conversation and open the doors right when there is a natural pause

The biggest piece of fantasy on that whole ship is pocket doors that work.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Turbo lifts were just fast elevators right?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
They go sideways too at turbo speeds!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Think of the tubes in Futurama, then make it bigger with an elevator, and also artificial gravity on the floor.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
and can probably handle multiple cars, so really advance elevators

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Turbo lifts were just fast elevators right?

Turbo lifts remain stationary while the ship moves around them.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Germstore posted:

and can probably handle multiple cars, so really advance elevators

Yes, there's multiple cars. Think of it like a 3D grid, filling every part of the ship.

That's why every time you get off one, you're right by where you need to go. It's also why there's always one ready when you walk up to it, unless the plot dictates that you have a short, angry conversation while you wait, followed by a terse elevator ride. Then you wait.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Typical Pubbie posted:

Turbo lifts remain stationary while the ship moves around them.

:psyduck: how does that even work?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Crowsbeak posted:

I think he was just funning

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

warp bubbles. technically the entire universe moves around you.

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The implication is that the ship's computer is always listening to every conversation on the ship and profiles each person's deepest desires to create on the holodeck.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

dojokm posted:

The implication is that the ship's computer is always listening to every conversation on the ship and profiles each person's deepest desires to create on the holodeck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLiaYD1lUo

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

lmbo

Otherwise a great episode, scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Did First Contact scare the poo poo out of anyone else when they were super young?

Like I had no idea what Star Trek was really other than it wasn't Star Wars and someone took me to see First Contact in the movie theater and I can still remember being scared shitless seeing metal borg poo poo pop out of Picard's face.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Roylicious posted:

Did First Contact scare the poo poo out of anyone else when they were super young?

Yeah, had a great time tho.

Oh, and the ear bug from star trek 2.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Yeah, had a great time tho.

Oh, and the ear bug from star trek 2.

Ear bug things were great as a child for me because it made me realize where KA Applegate got the idea for the bad guys in Animorphs.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hector Beerlioz posted:

lmbo

Otherwise a great episode, scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Rynder posted:

Troi: "Computer, show me a table."

normal wooden table appears

Riker: "Make it a metal table"

terifying rape table appears

Best scene.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Cetacean ops was just an excuse for humans to continue torturing killer whales in hellish seaworld prisons and to keep any more Whale Probes at bay

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Every time my family would watch Trek II, I had to cover my eyes during the scene where he pulls the ear bugs of of that worm thing.

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

My dad is the only other person in my family who likes Star Trek but only TOS because "Picard is a wuss."

I tried to get my wife into Star Trek but she doesn't like it, as the borg say, it's futile.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

I loving love computers in Star Trek, so I always pause the episode to read all the text.

Alderaan Spaceport :mmmhmm:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

dojokm posted:

My dad is the only other person in my family who likes Star Trek but only TOS because "Picard is a wuss."

Your father is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

He should like DS9 though because Sisko is not a wuss and also hates Picard.