Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Pick your favorite tank: Reinhardt, or four guys who can't do what he can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zorodius posted:

Pick your favorite tank: Reinhardt, or four guys who can't do what he can do

I don't know what people find fun about hold M2 and slow walking for more that half a match.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I don't know what people find fun about hold M2 and slow walking for more that half a match.

Flamestrike is a fun ability, and charging people is satisfying at least.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Turtle Sandbox posted:

It's not as fun on capture maps, but I always feel like a drat hero pushing the payload with him.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Watching someone who thinks this run up to you, and then shoulder-checking them to death into the side of a van.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I am so god drat bored of route 66

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I killed five people with one Death Blossom and didn't get Play of the Game, this is bullshit

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

In ranked play people will most likely queue seeking a win. In quick play people queue to play cool dudes and get kills, or maybe to win. If I want to play genji I don't care if there's already two on my team, I'm playing genji. Why should I be concerned with victory really over my own fun?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah, in a good team, Reinhardt feels even more like what your imagination tells you a tank should be like than an MMO tank does. Advancing slowly is still advancing, and often a good Reinhardt is the only person who can make that happen. It does feel good to be leading the way forward and having everyone behind you depend on you specifically. There's never been a character like Reinhardt in an FPS before, to my knowledge. Even an Ubercharged Heavy in TF2 can't *literally* shield the people behind him. And occasionally you get to smash some squishies into jelly.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 9, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I am so god drat bored of route 66

I enjoy the beginning and end, but the middle never seems to be any fun for either team.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was playing a payload map where we had a bastion and a reinhardt on the payload. As soon as the enemy team showed up, the reinhardt ran off the payload to engage them, getting himself and the bastion killed in the process.

Why did you even sit on the payload in the first place if you were going to immediately leave :psyduck: why do people do these things?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Zombie Samurai posted:

Watching someone who thinks this run up to you, and then shoulder-checking them to death into the side of a van.

Conversely, watching a Tracer spend thirty seconds trying to bait a charge out of you while you quietly push the payload and stare her down.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm the mercy that gets sniped when you do this.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sanctum posted:

Really the reactions are purely "gently caress having 5 useless spies/snipers" on my team, has little to do with the mechanics of spy. With TF2 pubs you generally wind up with nearly useless snipers and spies filling up to one half of both teams. Because it's not 6v6 there's room for there to be useless without dramatically affecting the game, but there's a loving lot of them and it's ridiculous. When the stars align and you get some pub team with 10 combat classes it's gonna be a very short round and then teams are gonna get scrambled to redistribute the useless pub spies and snipers evenly.

The whole "im spy main" thing carries over though. I've already run into asshats that 'main' genjii and feel entitled to play him over everyone else.

I dunno about that, I'd say a bad Genji is just as useless as a bad spy would be.
The reason you don't really run into the really bad/new players is probably more because this game has some sort of actual matchmaking.

Also, anyone who thinks the spy can't be played effectively against organised groups haven't actually watched any Highlander matches. Hell, he even sees some use in 6v6 matches every now and then.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

I enjoy the beginning and end, but the middle never seems to be any fun for either team.

i get the middle parts of hollywood and route 66 confused a lot

but then again they're both western towns

the hollywood set should have been more of the sci-fi space movie instead of what feels like a cut n paste of route 66

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

I was playing a payload map where we had a bastion and a reinhardt on the payload. As soon as the enemy team showed up, the reinhardt ran off the payload to engage them, getting himself and the bastion killed in the process.

Why did you even sit on the payload in the first place if you were going to immediately leave :psyduck: why do people do these things?

Well, most of my experience with Reinhardt is I pick him and then my team picks 4 flanking DPS classes who vanish into the mist and aren't seen for the entire game, and I have to go deal with enemies at the objective myself. Maybe it was just habit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Broken Cog posted:

Also, anyone who thinks the spy can't be played effectively against organised groups haven't actually watched any Highlander matches. Hell, he even sees some use in 6v6 matches every now and then.
pretty much the best case scenario for spy in highlander is getting a lucky pick and dying in the process. much of the rest of the time he's just harassing with the revolver.

I mean the point of highlander is that it's one of each class, you can't tell me that if teams were allowed to not take a spy that they wouldn't jump at the chance to take another soldier or scout instead

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I hope sombra is a prop hunt character

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

IronicDongz posted:

pretty much the best case scenario for spy in highlander is getting a lucky pick and dying in the process. much of the rest of the time he's just harassing with the revolver.

I mean the point of highlander is that it's one of each class, you can't tell me that if teams were allowed to not take a spy that they wouldn't jump at the chance to take another soldier or scout instead
Hmm, sounds familiar. Kinda like running double Mccree, perhabs?

Edit: My point is that spy is not some class that is solely useful against bad players. He can be effective on every level, even if his job is somewhat different depending on the circumstances.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 9, 2016

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Torbjorn POTGs basically mean "You played Torbjorn." I'm not saying you did or didn't do well. Just that the game likes kill participation and having a giant separate aimbot really messes those priorities up.

Mine was for hitting Q and using my shotgun though, no turret involved.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish Symmetra could build something other than a teleporter with her ult. It feels silly playing last point defense as her when your ult doesn't do much. At that point its just a distraction with barely any HP.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish Symmetra could build something other than a teleporter with her ult. It feels silly playing last point defense as her when your ult doesn't do much. At that point its just a distraction with barely any HP.

her TP can still be used as a leap forward for any slow moving heroes like bastion to ambush them from their rush into the cap by being in front of the cap but shooting them in the back~

like Volk point B, there's a gap on left that only Tracer, Genji, Pharah can reach but if you set up a tp past that, then less mobile heroes can take advantage of it, or just putting it in the room above so u can jump down onto the point for ambushing

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Rocketlex posted:

Conversely, watching a Tracer spend thirty seconds trying to bait a charge out of you while you quietly push the payload and stare her down.

any Tracer who just stares at Reinhardt with his shield up is either bad or in a bad spot (or both) since Blinking through his shield makes his life really bad

also Genji remains the no. 1 "your team will bitch at you for picking him/will blame you for losing" choice in pubs regardless of your performance - I get it less than I used to, but every so often I'll get complaints and then also show up on the post-game cards with egregious stats

Genji is real good, y'all

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MisterAlex posted:

Nice shot. Did that earn you the POTG reel?

It did! Not shown in the gif is after I suited up I stomped into the point and also gunned down a Zenyatta.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mercy kinda ruins this brawl.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I really love Zarya, can anyone explain why sometimes no matter how much I mash Shift her shield just won't pop?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you mean ult, it's because it's not on shift.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The problem isn't age no being good or bad, it's just that everyone wants to be cyborg ninja but when they play him they just suck

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Playing Reinhardt and seeing teammates actually standing behind your shield while they shoot is a good feeling. It doesn't happen often.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Efexeye posted:

I really love Zarya, can anyone explain why sometimes no matter how much I mash Shift her shield just won't pop?

Uhhhh....it's not off cooldown? It's got a cooldown of like 7 or 8 seconds so you have to be pretty sparing with when you use it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dick Trauma posted:

Playing Reinhardt and seeing teammates actually standing behind your shield while they shoot is a good feeling. It doesn't happen often.

Playing Symmetra and killing people behind his shield with orb spam is a better one.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Teikanmi posted:

The problem isn't age no being good or bad, it's just that everyone wants to be cyborg ninja but when they play him they just suck

I don't disagree, but being realistic is important too? one of my favorite exchanges in Overwatch usually goes like this:

me: we don't have a healer, does anyone mind switching
SniperX: SAYS THE GENJI LOL YOU SHOULD SWITCH
me: I'm gold medal damage/obj kills/obj time tho
SniperX: OF COURSE YOU'RE THE TOP IN THOSE CATEGORIES YOU'RE AN OFFENSE CLASS
me: yes but so is the rest of our team?
SniperX: GENJI SUCKS

if I pick Tracer or Genji on Defense and we get wrecked and my performance is terrible, sure, blame me, but if we don't have an essential role filled, you'd think someone who isn't doing great should swap - they're building ult at a slower rate, dying more often, you'd think being more frustrated? I don't know

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Internet Kraken posted:

Playing Symmetra and killing people behind his shield with orb spam is a better one.

The orb is very slow so unless I'm guarding a Bastion I move out of the way. Can't speak for those behind me though!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish that it could charge while the first Tele is still up. A flaking Tele on a point might not be so bad but if people don't really use it then there is no way to move it aside from waiting for it to get blown up and charging a new one

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I don't disagree, but being realistic is important too? one of my favorite exchanges in Overwatch usually goes like this:

me: we don't have a healer, does anyone mind switching
SniperX: SAYS THE GENJI LOL YOU SHOULD SWITCH
me: I'm gold medal damage/obj kills/obj time tho
SniperX: OF COURSE YOU'RE THE TOP IN THOSE CATEGORIES YOU'RE AN OFFENSE CLASS
me: yes but so is the rest of our team?
SniperX: GENJI SUCKS

if I pick Tracer or Genji on Defense and we get wrecked and my performance is terrible, sure, blame me, but if we don't have an essential role filled, you'd think someone who isn't doing great should swap - they're building ult at a slower rate, dying more often, you'd think being more frustrated? I don't know

This sort of implies that picking healer is like purgatory for lovely players.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Make the teleporter her E skill and have it slowly build charges once placed.

Make her ult a single target like 6 second invulnerability shield so I can maybe be useful on offense.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Make the teleporter her E skill and have it slowly build charges once placed.

Make her ult a single target like 6 second invulnerability shield so I can maybe be useful on offense.

This would kind of swing it from "situationally useful sometimes" to "goddamn essential on every comp ever"

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

all i want for symmetra is longer primary range

actually faster secondary orbs would also be nice

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Imagined posted:

This sort of implies that picking healer is like purgatory for lovely players.

which is kinda lovely of me as well, I recognize that, and there are games where - hey - the worst performing Offense player is me and nobody is naturally inclined to pick Lucio to help us win

but Lucio is easy to cruise along toward having an impactful role even if you are kinda lovely at Overwatch, which I think is by design? and I mean, like, if I want to win, I really don't want the guy doing the work on our team to stop doing his thing so he can Mercy while our lovely Offense is still poo poo, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I want Symmetra to only be able to toss out a max of 5 shields, but you can stack your shields on the same guy up to say 3 shields.