Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hisoka might bleed out if he stopped using bungee gum to seal all of his wounds before they heal, but his heart and lungs are working on their own. His big gamble was to resuscitate himself after he died, not become undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
loving incredible.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

What I don't get is Machi's there, she's willing to heal you up. Why do this sketchy bungee gum poo poo when you can be made good as new?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

What I don't get is Machi's there, she's willing to heal you up. Why do this sketchy bungee gum poo poo when you can be made good as new?

Brain damage.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Machi could patch Hisoka up after his fight with Kastro because the damage he took was pretty clean, it was just a matter of stitching his limbs back together. This time the murderclown outright lost his hand and foot aside from dying, instead of carrying his otherwise untouched arms back to Machi for a fix. I don't think she could do anything more.

What a chapter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Machi could presumably provide more permanent and better healing for hisoka in all the places that can be stitched up but she would be able to make it go away when he attacked people so fixing himself makes more sense

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Traveller posted:

Machi could patch Hisoka up after his fight with Kastro because the damage he took was pretty clean, it was just a matter of stitching his limbs back together. This time the murderclown outright lost his hand and foot aside from dying, instead of carrying his otherwise untouched arms back to Machi for a fix. I don't think she could do anything more.

What a chapter.

Machi is incredibly talented and she said she could fix him up. Maybe she could swap in parts from other people? I dunno, but there is no reason to think that she would offer something she couldn't provide.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its going to be so devastating when this batch of chapters ends without this arc finished. gently caress the boat

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Machi could probably have fixed Hisoka, but Hisoka's murderboner for the Spiders was unfortunately too large and shiny to allow that to happen.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i can't make sense of hisoka's decision there. you could make it make sense if having fresh machi nen sutures still in him would let her gain some kind of advantage over him in battle. fresh ones only obviously. or maybe he has some reason for holding up the facade to machi that he has a power that lets him heal himself

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
The real reason Hisoka refused Machi is that he started reading One Piece and wants to turn himself into a (bubble)gum-gum man

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Hisoka was in too much of a hurry to wait for her to do it, since he wanted to catch Kortopi and Shalnark before they got their Nen back from Chrollo. Also, Hisoka showed that he still considers Machi a "friend", even at this point, since all he did was bind her to the ground and taunt her, rather than kill her. She and Illumi are still the only people he gives a poo poo about beyond fueling his murderboner.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
"You must not phone, because at the most important time, it won't work. You won't be able to answer the phone either, because one time out of three, on the other end will be the god of death."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am fairly certain Hisoka refused to be healed, is because Nen Stiches would have just closed his wounds. I don't think she had replacements for his parts. Added on it's possible she could turn the power off reopening his wounds.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think it's quite clear that Hisoka refused to be healed because he was going to start spider-murderin' right loving now and that kinda put the kibosh on the whole thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

davidHalestorm posted:

Yeah, I think it's clear that Kurotopi and Shalnark does not have Nen, judging from how easily Hisoka killed both of them. Shalnark is strong enough to kill Chimera Ants, after all . Also, I think this is setting up an ironic scenario, if Hisoka targetting all of the spiders and Chrollo orders all of them to be on the boat, then Kalluto would be there, if Kurapika learns that Kalluto is Killua's brother, wouldn't he felt compelled to protect him from Hisoka ?

Chrollo doesn't steal all of someone's ability to use nen, just their abilities. Heck, just one ability at a time, from the sound of it. Kortopi died because he was ambushed by Hisoka and he's one of the weakest Troupe members whose contributions to the Troupe were primarily strategic and utilitarian, and likewise Shalnark got caught off guard and overwhelmed by someone physically his superior. Kortopi and Shalnark's advantages were denied to them here, which is exactly what Hisoka was talking about with Machi.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am fairly certain Hisoka refused to be healed, is because Nen Stiches would have just closed his wounds. I don't think she had replacements for his parts. Added on it's possible she could turn the power off reopening his wounds.

Yeah, Machi isn't a magic healer, she just puts people back together perfectly enough that they can actually heal from that, assuming they don't do things that will break the stitches. Which is exactly what Hisoka was planning to do, so.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 9, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

I think his heart got its rhythm back via nen charged CPR, he's still all kinds of hosed up but since when does that stop hisoka?

Yeah, I don't think he's a zombie in the sense that his nen is keeping him alive. I get the impression he just restart his heart and lungs and that Togashi is playing it fast and loose with actual physiology/medical science. Still, though, having to constantly simulate his hand and foot seems like a big problem. Even if he can technically produce a fake hand/foot with his nen, that's nen (and brain power) that can't be allocated towards fighting his opponents.

One issue I've always kind of had with some portrayals of Hisoka's ability is that it doesn't seem to actually behave like rubber/gum and instead seems to sometimes double as downright telekinesis or something. Like, it make sense for him to be able to stick it to stuff and then expand/contract it, but sometimes it seems like Hisoka can just make it take any form and move it as desired, which makes it kind of disproportionately overpowered and goes beyond just the stated properties. In this particular case he shouldn't really be capable of doing something like squeezing his heart or manipulating a hand (beyond having to attach a separate "thread" of bungee gum to each finger and then expand/contract it, which would only allow the most basic opening and closing of his hand).

I find what happened afterwards interesting otherwise, though. I'm very curious as to whether Hisoka is doing this because he's just angry, or if this was part of some "master plan." I'm leanint towards the former, because the "old" Hisoka would generally prefer fighting someone at their best and wouldn't gain much enjoyment from trying to catch them off-guard. I actually kind of like the idea of Hisoka's "I only care about fighting strong guys" facade falling apart the moment he faces someone he can't beat.

RIP Shalnark, he was one of my favorite Ryodan members. Kortopi is also a huge loss.

Butt Ghost posted:

She wouldn't be able to do anything more than seal his wounds; his fingers and various bits of missing flesh are totally gone from the explosion.

edit: One issue I had with this fight as a whole is that it didn't seem to make much sense for Chrollo to be capable of creating and stamping so many clones without Hisoka noticing him. If he's so fast and skilled that he can hide from Hisoka in such a situation, it seems like he should be capable of just defeating him in a straight-up fight. I understand thiat Hisoka was distracted by all the dolls, but 1. that wouldn't be the case until a bunch were already created and 2. there are a number of ways Hisoka could get away from them for at least a couple seconds, like jumping really high or something.

Still a fun fight, though. I just thought that Chrollo's tactics don't really make much sense if he's capable of pulling them off in the first place.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 9, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Hisoka was thinking rationally, he would have let Machi sew him up then gone off somewhere to heal himself. Then once he was back in top shape and fully accustomed to his new rubber appendages he could start picking off spiders without any warning.

Hisoka is not rational. He is crazier than ever, may have brain damage from lack of oxygen, and his supreme confidence has been smashed to pieces.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Hisoka was thinking rationally, he would have let Machi sew him up then gone off somewhere to heal himself. Then once he was back in top shape and fully accustomed to his new rubber appendages he could start picking off spiders without any warning.

Hisoka is not rational. He is crazier than ever, may have brain damage from lack of oxygen, and his supreme confidence has been smashed to pieces.

This is how I'm interpreting it, and I think it's an interesting way to go with his character. The only thing is that it seems like it should be pretty easy for the spiders to take down Hisoka if he's acting out of anger and not thinking things through rationally. Even under normal circumstances Hisoka probably wouldn't be capable of beating two of the more combat-oriented spiders at once.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This is how I'm interpreting it, and I think it's an interesting way to go with his character. The only thing is that it seems like it should be pretty easy for the spiders to take down Hisoka if he's acting out of anger and not thinking things through rationally. Even under normal circumstances Hisoka probably wouldn't be capable of beating two of the more combat-oriented spiders at once.

Hisoka dicks around a lot, but if he gets his aura on someone a fight is pretty much done. He was just never really interested in sneak attacks before now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

edit: One issue I had with this fight as a whole is that it didn't seem to make much sense for Chrollo to be capable of creating and stamping so many clones without Hisoka noticing him. If he's so fast and skilled that he can hide from Hisoka in such a situation, it seems like he should be capable of just defeating him in a straight-up fight. I understand thiat Hisoka was distracted by all the dolls, but 1. that wouldn't be the case until a bunch were already created and 2. there are a number of ways Hisoka could get away from them for at least a couple seconds, like jumping really high or something.

Still a fun fight, though. I just thought that Chrollo's tactics don't really make much sense if he's capable of pulling them off in the first place.

Chrollo probably made most of the copies before the fight started.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Chrollo didn't make all of those clones during the fight. The majority of the audience were clones he made beforehand. That was the point of the revelation that things which have the stamps never disappear, Hisoka thought Chrollo was limited in the number of clones he could use and control at once, but he actually wasn't. Hisoka had no way of knowing how much of the audience were clones until Chrollo ordered them all to attack with the PA.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Chrollo was never interested in having a fair fight, he just wanted to completely crush Hisoka without giving him any chance at winning. I thought that he might want to steal bungie gum, but that was not the case. So, killing a bunch of people and ordering the copies to attend would be easy enough and it isn't like Chrollo has any sense of honor or fair play.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ytlaya posted:

One issue I've always kind of had with some portrayals of Hisoka's ability is that it doesn't seem to actually behave like rubber/gum and instead seems to sometimes double as downright telekinesis or something. Like, it make sense for him to be able to stick it to stuff and then expand/contract it, but sometimes it seems like Hisoka can just make it take any form and move it as desired, which makes it kind of disproportionately overpowered and goes beyond just the stated properties. In this particular case he shouldn't really be capable of doing something like squeezing his heart or manipulating a hand (beyond having to attach a separate "thread" of bungee gum to each finger and then expand/contract it, which would only allow the most basic opening and closing of his hand).

I totally understand where you're coming from, but a basic transmuter ability is to shape and manipulate the shape of the aura, so creating a hand-shape of aura, and moving it around as a hand is probably fairly simple for someone as skilled as Hisoka. Then he gives his aura the properties of gum in order to stick texture suprise with it. It does make sense, it's just a bit... mental?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Ytlaya posted:

Eh I see it like he changed the rules of his game, but not lost his head to anger. He did find the fight exciting, but at the same time it wasn't "pure".
For him, the fight continues.
I think Franklin might be the only one to stand a chance to be very honest, all the other guys can be scoped out and dealt with, provided Hisoka gets a good 1v1

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't know, I think it's actually important that he doesn't wait until he's in top shape to murder some of the spiders. It seems like he went after and is going after ones he finds particularly problematic to fight against given chrollo's powers. By the time the message spreads that Hisoka is after them, he wants those problems to be gone and to probably have all the spiders gather together or do something else strange as a response so he can finish it. I don't get the feeling hisoka is planning on sustaining this for a long time and getting healthy again.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Begemot posted:

Chrollo didn't make all of those clones during the fight. The majority of the audience were clones he made beforehand. That was the point of the revelation that things which have the stamps never disappear, Hisoka thought Chrollo was limited in the number of clones he could use and control at once, but he actually wasn't. Hisoka had no way of knowing how much of the audience were clones until Chrollo ordered them all to attack with the PA.

I'm certain he did make the clones during the fight. There was even a panel or two showing audience members being surprised to suddenly have a copy of them next to them. But once they have been hit with Sun/Moon they will persist and it explains why not all the audience members weren't tagged with bomb stamps.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

At the end Hisoka says there's 10 more to go... That means they found a replacement for either Paku or Uvo but not both, right? So there's one spider we haven't seen yet. I'm assuming it's a new character but I suppose there's a possibility we might know them. I'm reminded of the guy we saw drawing what looked like a spider tattoo in the background of one of the panels with Tsereidnich, but I think the next chapter had that as part of a larger pattern on some flesh hanging on his wall.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I hope murder zombie Hisoka eventually gets animated

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

I'm certain he did make the clones during the fight. There was even a panel or two showing audience members being surprised to suddenly have a copy of them next to them. But once they have been hit with Sun/Moon they will persist and it explains why not all the audience members weren't tagged with bomb stamps.

he didn't make all of the clones, or even anything close to a large percentage of them, during the fight.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I don't know, I think it's actually important that he doesn't wait until he's in top shape to murder some of the spiders. It seems like he went after and is going after ones he finds particularly problematic to fight against given chrollo's powers. By the time the message spreads that Hisoka is after them, he wants those problems to be gone and to probably have all the spiders gather together or do something else strange as a response so he can finish it. I don't get the feeling hisoka is planning on sustaining this for a long time and getting healthy again.
Yeah, I definitely agree with this line of thinking, and given that the two just walked away from seeing Hisoka's corpse, they're probably even more susceptible to being ambushed than they already were without their main powers.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

rubber...and gum :ughh:

Edit: Actually this is fine as long as he dies for real during this arc

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 10, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hisoka back when he was fake Troupe member was ranked 3rd in terms of physical strength. So he is superior to a good deal of them on the purely physical part. (Shalnark and Kortopi being low at 10th place and 13th place.) Combined with his versitle power this makes him very dangerous to the Phantom Troupe.

Of the remaining troupe members. I would say Phinks, Feitan, Franklin, Nobunaga and Machi are the main fighters, and anyone of them let alone two would probably give him a hard time (So long as they don't get caught off guard like Machi). Shizuku, Kalluto and Bonolenov (Maybe we have not seem too much of what he can do.) are probably no match for him in combat.

Hisoka would have to approach this very carefully if he wants to take them all down.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, it depends with Bonolenov, I'd say. He was able to control the fight with the ant we saw, but Hisoka's specifically trying to avoid that sort of thing here. He doesn't know every Troupe member's abilities (this was established back in Yorknew, he could only share so much with Kurapika), so depending on if he is or isn't aware of what Bonolenov does that could affect their hypothetical battle a lot. He can't let himself get pulled into Bonolenov's rhythm.

Feitan, Phinks, and Franklin are definitely up there in terms of ones to not gently caress around with, though. Particularly Feitan; if Hisoka can't kill him outright he can pull out some serious bullshit, so that's a fight that needs to be ended quickly.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

One issue I've always kind of had with some portrayals of Hisoka's ability is that it doesn't seem to actually behave like rubber/gum and instead seems to sometimes double as downright telekinesis or something. Like, it make sense for him to be able to stick it to stuff and then expand/contract it, but sometimes it seems like Hisoka can just make it take any form and move it as desired, which makes it kind of disproportionately overpowered and goes beyond just the stated properties. In this particular case he shouldn't really be capable of doing something like [spoiler]squeezing his heart or manipulating a hand (beyond having to attach a separate "thread" of bungee gum to each finger and then expand/contract it, which would only allow the most basic opening and closing of his hand).

Shape manipulation is actually one of the basic techniques used to train Transformation. Remember when Gon and Killua had to make numbers out of their nen? Same principle.

E: oh someone already answered. oh well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Well, it depends with Bonolenov, I'd say. He was able to control the fight with the ant we saw, but Hisoka's specifically trying to avoid that sort of thing here. He doesn't know every Troupe member's abilities (this was established back in Yorknew, he could only share so much with Kurapika), so depending on if he is or isn't aware of what Bonolenov does that could affect their hypothetical battle a lot. He can't let himself get pulled into Bonolenov's rhythm.

Feitan, Phinks, and Franklin are definitely up there in terms of ones to not gently caress around with, though. Particularly Feitan; if Hisoka can't kill him outright he can pull out some serious bullshit, so that's a fight that needs to be ended quickly.

Feitan and Phinks have always liked to hang with each other as well. Even If Hisoka was capable of getting the drop on both of them and take one out he would be left a difficult opponent. Feiten as you mentioned is very dangerous in a fight of decent length, and Phinks the only Troupe member that is physically superior to Hisoka. As they will no doubt be on guard after this I don't see how Hisoka could take them both on.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Chrollo should know immediately that those two are dead; the phone should disappear and the page in his book with the copy ability should be blank.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Anyone else think that Togashi is starting to wrap things up? The spiders were a giant hanging plot thread and now it looks like they will be stuck on a boat with a bunch of nen beasts, pro hunters and two people dedicated to killing them. I dunno, it just doesn't feel like they weren't originally going to be part of this arc.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Lpzie posted:

Chrollo should know immediately that those two are dead; the phone should disappear and the page in his book with the copy ability should be blank.

He probably wouldn't have guess it was Hisoka, just yet. But won't be long before he finds Machi so he'll know anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lpzie posted:

It is a real phone.