Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HGH posted:

He said in his first post he really hated that one for some reason.

Whoops, I lack reading comprehension :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

HGH posted:

I figured it was just their brand of humor that rubbed them the wrong way.
Thing is I can't think of an Until Dawn LP/stream that isn't really noisy. The game really gets people talking, and since all the characters have such pronounced personalities it usually elicits some loud reactions.
Does this work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA17sy5uV2g

Is Until Dawn good? I'm curious about it and from what I've seen/heard, it looks/sounds like 80's slasher film the game. Would this be accurate at all?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beelerzebub posted:

Is Until Dawn good? I'm curious about it and from what I've seen/heard, it looks/sounds like 80's slasher film the game. Would this be accurate at all?

It is. Yeah it's a slasher flick game but it's like the first Scream movie where it has fun with itself. Plus it has some rather endearing characters for a 20-something slasher flick game. Especially Brett Dalton's character, who basically becomes Ash Williams in the back third of the game :swoon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Beelerzebub posted:

Yes, it's fantastic

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

It is. Yeah it's a slasher flick game but it's like the first Scream movie where it has fun with itself. Plus it has some rather endearing characters for a 20-something slasher flick game. Especially Brett Dalton's character, who basically becomes Ash Williams in the back third of the game :swoon:

But does he have the chainsaw arm? Because that thing was pretty groovy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

malkav11 posted:

Is there a decent non-SA LP out there for Until Dawn? There's one theoretically going here but the update pace is teetering forever on the verge of archival so I'm not sanguine that it's going to get finished. I've tried the Two Best Friends Play one and...ugh. No thank you.

SA person here streamed the entire game with some friends popping in and out*

*Or they just came in when they could. Whatever.

HGH posted:

He said in his first post he really hated that one for some reason.

It's not that hard to imagine.

Beelerzebub posted:

I just looked on their youtube channel and chipandironicus.com and it wasn't on either of those.

Oh that is just precious. :allears:

edit: Oh gently caress, I just realized I suggested the exact same thing.

Well, here's another one so I'm not superfluous.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFx-KViPXIkFNftmkbEGV3rJSa7bKHngs

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 30, 2016

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Niggurath posted:

It might be because they're endless yammering and yelling; some people aren't really looking for that.

They were pretty obnoxious, yeah.

HGH posted:

I figured it was just their brand of humor that rubbed them the wrong way.
Thing is I can't think of an Until Dawn LP/stream that isn't really noisy. The game really gets people talking, and since all the characters have such pronounced personalities it usually elicits some loud reactions.
Does this work?

The cast seems good, the stream chat blocking part of the video is a turnoff.

RareAcumen posted:

edit: Oh gently caress, I just realized I suggested the exact same thing.

Well, here's another one so I'm not superfluous.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFx-KViPXIkFNftmkbEGV3rJSa7bKHngs

This one seems like my best bet so far. I appreciate all the suggestions, though!

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
So I'm looking for something pretty specific here. I want a 'unlock everything' LP in a game like Binding of Isaac or Nuclear Throne where unlocks require you to do something impressive in the game and unlocks actually change the gameplay massively. It needs to be done by someone that's good at the game and has reset their save file for the LP though, don't wanna watch someone like NorthernLion bumbling around for 1000 episodes. (I like that too, but not what I'm after right now)

Can be any game but most roguelikes with unlocks would be ideal.

Some guy has actually speedran Binding of Isaac Real Platinum god 111%, it's 33 hours long and he did it in 1 sitting. https://www.twitch.tv/ikasperr/v/12528366

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Powerfrog posted:

Some guy has actually speedran Binding of Isaac Real Platinum god 111%, it's 33 hours long and he did it in 1 sitting. https://www.twitch.tv/ikasperr/v/12528366

I can't help you out with that, but :wtc:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Powerfrog posted:

So I'm looking for something pretty specific here. I want a 'unlock everything' LP in a game like Binding of Isaac or Nuclear Throne where unlocks require you to do something impressive in the game and unlocks actually change the gameplay massively. It needs to be done by someone that's good at the game and has reset their save file for the LP though, don't wanna watch someone like NorthernLion bumbling around for 1000 episodes. (I like that too, but not what I'm after right now)

Can be any game but most roguelikes with unlocks would be ideal.

I think Rogue Legacy might fit the bill. Most unlocks are just bought with treasure you find lying around, but after every death, you get a new character with a different class and their own weird quirks.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Aithon posted:

I think Rogue Legacy might fit the bill. Most unlocks are just bought with treasure you find lying around, but after every death, you get a new character with a different class and their own weird quirks.

The LP is also done by someone who (at the time of the LP) had the world speedrun record for the game.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Watching Smite's LP (and then 50 hours of the Nuclear Thone Tournament he hosted) is what put me in the mood for more content like this.

Heh. :(

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I watched the Giant Bomb East livestreams / archives of Until Dawn, and enjoyed them a lot. As a livestream, there is a camera pointed at the desk with the three of them, and as a GB video, they hold a conversation throughout the whole thing. While Until Dawn's atmosphere is good, I don't feel I missed out because they were talking or there was a camera; it is basically a parody that handles itself well.

Some people are really anal about the facecam/talking thing, but I've seen a lot of goon LPs that adhered to the strict goon culture about cams and commentary... and yet were annoying as poo poo. It feels like there's often a specific chemistry; A fat guy who's fun to hang out on VOIP with who has to get drunk to be "loose" for the recording session, playing foil to (annoying the poo poo out of) the up-tight guy who's actually playing and has planned the recording session out in painstaking detail.

Also... I have been a goon since before the paywall and I've never met a goon as cool as Vinny Caravella or Austin Walker. So there's that.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 31, 2016

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
The Overshare has a pretty good LP of Until Dawn. They are a bunch of Chicago improv comedians, and their banter is more humorous then the tone of the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Psychedelic Eyeball made it a ways into doing a Binding of Isaac LP before running out of steam; you can find the videos on his YouTube. There's just too much poo poo in that game to unlock (sometimes literally!) and each individual run unlocks relatively little new stuff, though, so it's not surprising he didn't finish it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jon Do posted:

I watched the Giant Bomb East livestreams / archives of Until Dawn, and enjoyed them a lot. As a livestream, there is a camera pointed at the desk with the three of them, and as a GB video, they hold a conversation throughout the whole thing. While Until Dawn's atmosphere is good, I don't feel I missed out because they were talking or there was a camera; it is basically a parody that handles itself well.

Some people are really anal about the facecam/talking thing, but I've seen a lot of goon LPs that adhered to the strict goon culture about cams and commentary... and yet were annoying as poo poo. It feels like there's often a specific chemistry; A fat guy who's fun to hang out on VOIP with who has to get drunk to be "loose" for the recording session, playing foil to (annoying the poo poo out of) the up-tight guy who's actually playing and has planned the recording session out in painstaking detail.

Also... I have been a goon since before the paywall and I've never met a goon as cool as Vinny Caravella or Austin Walker. So there's that.

I have no problem with people talking over cutscenes as long as there's subtitles. I just think they should be entertaining or at least tolerable and that was not my impression of Two Best Friends Play at all. My main problem with facecams and similar is that it obscures the game. I'm there for the game, not to watch some nerd's face move or the stream chat.

The Giant Bomb Until Dawn videos are probably great and are the first place I turned - I love both the Bombcast and the Beastcast...but I'm not a subscriber and they're subscriber-only. (Plus a cam would be a dealbreaker.)

That said, I'm two episodes into the Scary Game Squad LP and it's fitting the bill fine. Probably going to stick with that.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Sorry, I should have logged out to check; they have a different image transposed over the player (not just the play arrow) for sub videos, and when I checked, it was the regular icon. I was under the impression the "playdates" were posted publicly. FWIW, premium is well worth it; they do sales for $35/y instead of 50, usually twice or more a year; once I caught on to that I haven't paid 50 since my first time.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jon Do posted:

Sorry, I should have logged out to check; they have a different image transposed over the player (not just the play arrow) for sub videos, and when I checked, it was the regular icon. I was under the impression the "playdates" were posted publicly. FWIW, premium is well worth it; they do sales for $35/y instead of 50, usually twice or more a year; once I caught on to that I haven't paid 50 since my first time.

I'm sure if you're a site regular it's worth it, but I really only listen to the two main podcasts and never visit Giant Bomb itself. I can't keep up with the LPs here I want to watch, much less an entire additional site worth of video content.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Oh, yeah, didn't mean to come off as trying to sell you, I just love those fuckers.

Has anyone got any techincally/mechanically challenging game type LP reccomendations? I love XCOM, stuff like that. I'm a big fan of informative LPs, given the right personality for the dry subject matter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jon Do posted:

Has anyone got any techincally/mechanically challenging game type LP reccomendations? I love XCOM, stuff like that. I'm a big fan of informative LPs, given the right personality for the dry subject matter.

Gods Will Be Watching, kind of? The scenarios are a lot of "keep all these plates spinning" things, and the LPer demonstrates effective tactics for each scenario to minimize the RNG screw.

DoctorKill's OoT and Majora's Mask LPs are also great technical breakdowns of famous games, and show some really weird ways to go about "playing" them. Like doing all the adult dungeons as a child and all the child dungeons as an adult, for example.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Oh, sweet, I had seen the OoT one but not the Majora's Mask. I only needed one other reminder that someone is doing a Gods Will Be Watching LP, since I never got around to playing it. Thanks!

I would recommend anyone who likes tactics games, particularly challenging, to check out Professor Booty's XCOM: Enemy Within: Long War LP. He's been going forever, and there's a ton of them, but that's a plus; it's not the narrative that drives the series, but the endlessly ramping difficulty. Long War brings multiple layers of mechanics in a way that causes complex decisionmaking. It's also too much for me to actually play.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Gods Will Be Watching, kind of? The scenarios are a lot of "keep all these plates spinning" things, and the LPer demonstrates effective tactics for each scenario to minimize the RNG screw.

I never knew how much I needed this LP in my life. Thanks.

Lately I've been really into LPs/Games where you actually have to pay attention constantly, as opposed to the stuff I usually watch which you can basically listen to as background noise.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Does anyone know of a good LP for the classic mode of Etrian Odyssey Untold? I've been playing it and I'm not quite sure I understand some of the mechanics. (By the way, it's on sale for $10 on the eshop in case anyone is interested in buying it).

Macha
Mar 6, 2016
I recommend Grey Hunter's LP of War in the Pacific: Imperial Edition.

Can the Kido Butai and the Kiddo Butai finally achieve the Greater East-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere? Or will the Yamato plow into a destroyer, sink, and somehow careen into every carrier, wiping them all out?

Tune in to find out!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

xoFcitcrA posted:

So far as I can tell, Beagle is one-of-a-kind. Though you might want to give Aavak a try. He's pleasant to listen to and tackles a lot of strategy and 4x games, as well as a few roguelikes. I haven't seen him grandmaster any particular game, but he plays strategy with a universally high level of skill even on the few occasions he goes in blind.

Thank you for this channel, I especially this one

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Acne Rain posted:

Thank you for this channel, I especially like this one

Heheh oh yeah, sometimes he posts vids of his adorable carpetsharks / catsnakes. I'd forgotten about that. :stoat:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for LP's to draw inspiration from.

Basically, either a Civ game or something similar done with multiple posters, possibly with a prize, or tournament style. I've got a cool idea for an Endless Legend / Stellaris / Civ V game with a steambux prize, but I want to see how to do it fair and balanced, so seeing other people succeed at it would help.

My idea would include Hunger Games style voting for watchers to get involved and mix games up. (Stuff like "Give Player X 20 Mineral" \ Spawn 3 Barb Encampments on PLayer Y with least votes)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Two quick ones:

Any recommended Sniper Elite v3 lp's? I vaguely remember there was one of v2 somewhere but I'm not entirely sure it was on-site; can't find anything on the master list. If the lper is good at sniping even better, but I'll take a good lp of a not-so-good player.

I asked about 4X games a few pages back and people recommended Aavak which I've been checking, but he doesn't have anything on Endless Legend, and after I started reading Speeball's EL run I was wondering if there was anything along the lines of "let's learn" Endless Legend; I have it wishlisted for the summer sale and I'd love to get some guides.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I'm looking for fun roguelike video LPs. Not Dwarf Fortress, stuff like nethack or ADOM or stuff along those lines with someone who knows how to play well enough.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm looking for fun roguelike video LPs. Not Dwarf Fortress, stuff like nethack or ADOM or stuff along those lines with someone who knows how to play well enough.

There was a Roguelike Megathread going on a while ago. It's been completely dead for a long time, but it still hasn't fallen into the archives. There's lots of good content, including VLPs, and the OP has links to more. I've particularly enjoyed the DoomRL VLP.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Aithon posted:

There was a Roguelike Megathread going on a while ago. It's been completely dead for a long time, but it still hasn't fallen into the archives. There's lots of good content, including VLPs, and the OP has links to more. I've particularly enjoyed the DoomRL VLP.

Thread is great as a taster, but the LPs are all very short and quite unfulfilling if you're after something with more substance, it does however mention some older, fuller, LPs of roguelikes I've been working my way through watching.

Floodkiller posted:

f) There's not enough content and I want to see more roguelike LPs right now!
Good news: there have been plenty of roguelike LPs before this that you can read/watch! Here's a short list of some recent ones:
TooMuchAbstraction's Angband LP (Archives Link)
The Dungeon Crawl group LP
...and its sequel!
...and a 2012 Dungeon Crawl LP!
Smite's Rogue Legacy LP (Archives Link)
Psychadelic Eyeball's Spelunky LP
Agent355's previous roguelike megathred
...and his ADOM LP!
PurpleXVI's ToME4 LP
Bacter's Teleglitch LP
Multiple Nethack LPs

It would be cool if we could talk about actually recent roguelike LPs though, I fear that 13 month old thread being mentioned usually shuts down discussion on the subject any time the question is posed.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I was just coming to the thread to ask for some good informative LPs of bullshit hard/unfair games (inspired by rereading the Wizardry IV LP on the archive), and that Gods Will Be Watching LP looks like it'll scratch the itch nicely!

I'd still welcome any other recommendations, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

God Hand isn't bullshit hard, but it's pretty tough, and mkob might be the best player out there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is there a good Total War: Warhammer LP where they play as a non human? I'm digging the Many a True Nerd one, but it's made me super curious about the weirder races.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any good witcher 3 lp around here?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

GamesMaster - LPing in the 1990s

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
This is sort of apropos of nothing but I would really like to plug Kamoc's Dead Space thread because it's really funny and it has lots of nice touches and attention to detail.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Kurtofan posted:

Any good witcher 3 lp around here?

Well,ChristopherOdd's LP is pretty competent. He doesn't get every secret or whatever,but he actually plays attention to the story,and doesn't make TOO many cringeworthy mistakes.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

These are pretty neat :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I would like to plug SelenicMartian's Blackstone Chronicles VLP.

If you're down for some atmospheric horror that doesn't use any cheap tricks to get scares, this is a home run. Our protagonist finds himself in an old asylum that is in the process of being turned into a museum in search of his abducted son, and he has many run-ins with the wonderful world of old psychiatric treatment. And it is downright horrifying, thanks in part to some excellent voice acting.

Come on in to Blackstone Asylum and let the wonderful world of medicinal history wash over you. It's a lot more thrilling than it might sound.