Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

botany posted:

What's with the (((parentheses))) I'm seeing around people's names? Where does that come from?

some antisemitic alt-righters started doing it around the names of jews. the thinkpiece machine snapped it up and twitter users followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

berserker posted:

Reince Preibus's response is amazing, see if you can spot why:

https://twitter.com/Reince/status/740993607289688065

The .@ is a real thing in Twitterland.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks everyone. That's really loving disturbing to me, a German citizen.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Cine D would like to remind everyone that taking the views of someone who is up front about how their worldview suffers from their illness yet has some interesting ideas about a particular subject as an authority or base from which to view large amounts of other subjects ends in tragedy.

Prester certainly knows her stuff when talking about authoritarian cults, but Prester doesn't exactly have first-hand experience with Donald Trump and his mind. So just realize that yeah it's useful to hear a very in-depth understanding of how people raised in an authoritarian environment think, just as it is fun to unpack the cinematic language of the transformers movies, but that doesn't mean Trump thinks he's president or Batman vs. Superman is a good movie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Grondoth posted:

Cine D would like to remind everyone that taking the views of someone who is up front about how their worldview suffers from their illness yet has some interesting ideas about a particular subject as an authority or base from which to view large amounts of other subjects ends in tragedy.

Prester certainly knows her stuff when talking about authoritarian cults, but Prester doesn't exactly have first-hand experience with Donald Trump and his mind. So just realize that yeah it's useful to hear a very in-depth understanding of how people raised in an authoritarian environment think, just as it is fun to unpack the cinematic language of the transformers movies, but that doesn't mean Trump thinks he's president or Batman vs. Superman is a good movie.

Prester isn't SMG last I checked.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dexo posted:

If it's coming from a Republican or Alt-Right person, it is a signifying that they are a evil jew (supporter) who is controlling the media.

If it's from anyone else they are mocking them by putting them around their own names regardless of their jew status.

i don't want to live on this planet any more.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Fun fact: the APA has a standing policy that psychiatrists cannot diagnose individuals without examining them personally and then being told by the person they can make public comments about them. We can thank Fact magazine for the rule after they decided to poll psychiatrists on whether or not they thought Goldwater was fit to be president and neglected to mention in the results that the vast majority of psychiatrists failed to respond.

EDIT: Also based on my personal experience with NPDers, once they crater (as they tend to do) they tend to just pop back up someplace else that meets their ego's needs pretending everything is fine.

That said during the cratering expect some very odd behavior. Very, very odd.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 9, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Happy one year anniversary to Rep. Don Young (R-AK) who was married at the Capitol June 9, 2015. :toot:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Before this thread derails onto talking about me instead of discussing my ideas please allow me to clarify a few things. I am a diagnosed schizophrenic who was raised in a fundamentalist Christian cult and wound up homeless after severing ties with my fundamentalist family, over the years I have written a number of threads detailing my experiences. Ever since severing with my family my situation in life has improved and I have gotten my condition diagnosed and it has been stable for several years now.

I do not possess a degree nor any formal qualifications of any kind, I was kept quite isolated in the environment I was raised in, I didn't even have a Social Security number until I was 14, for example. I only have 4 years of traditional education, everything else I am pretty much self-taught except for the very Basics they were drilled into me ruthlessly in a cult School.

As it happens I have an unusual insight into the particulars of the situation we see unfolding in the GOP at present because the Colts go I was raised in was quite literally a brainwashing facility designed to turn out Christian legislators to work for the GOP, a task that it has been much more successful at than people generally realize.

Starting in March of last year I started a thread called "Decoding Authoritarians" in which I laid out a very complicated behavioral Theory to explain what we are saying in the GOP as well as a number of predictions that have since turned out to be generally correct.

I contribute to this thread in this forum as an open schizophrenic who does their best to be self-aware, but I readily concede that I am schizophrenic and fully capable of elaborately deceiving myself without even being aware of it. Although my posts often take on the tone of being an expert, this is something of an effect of the way my illness impacts my thinking rather than a claim to being the end-all-be-all experts. I'm something of an interesting hack with an unusual theory that seems to have panned out thus far, not a professional pundit / credentialed expert.

My ideas on narcissistic personality disorder stem from being raised by a clinical narcissist who used me as her source of negative Supply as result of my gender identity, as well as being abused by the narcissistic leader of the cult that my family was involved in, as well as in my later teen years through my mid-twenties being involved in an elaborate series of inter-related cults, during which time I was part of the inner circle of a very severe narcissist who wound up as a leader of several of these small cults- During which time he flaunted how he manipulated people in front of me a number of times, he attained Supply by showing off how much he could control people and cause chaos. My theories about narcissists come from reflecting on experiences I have had in a variety of complex relationships with different types of narcissists.

I would View my post as representing a very unconventional but well thought out point of view, not something that you can use outside of the forums as proof of why Trump will inevitably meltdown. ( you could however show this post to people outside the forms with a note that it's written by a self-aware schizophrenic and this is her take on things.)

Now with that said I do dislike being the topic of discussion and would prefer if we discussed my ideas and/or allowed the normal flow of the thread to continue rather than discussing me in particular

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 9, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGaSn7pwHb-/

thanks, obama

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Joementum posted:

Happy one year anniversary to Rep. Don Young (R-AK) who was married at the Capitol June 9, 2015. :toot:

I hope Speaker Boehner didn't touch him, he'll put you in the ground for that :ohdear:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

"He can't even read the timestamps. Sad."

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Man, this just raises so many questions. How the hell do you not see a road blocked off for a motorcade? How do the police not properly block off a street? Did Obama peer out the window and think a dumpy white guy on a citibike tried to assassinate him?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
e: double post

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Joementum posted:

Right now, in the Senate, John McCain and Lindsey Graham are melting down and yelling at Mike Lee for introducing an amendment because they say it will kill people.

The amendment Lee's offering states that US citizens arrested inside the US on terrorism charges are guaranteed due process and judicial review.

Did you type that right Joe, do I actually agree with Mike Lee on something?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I can't even believe this election. It has everything.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Man, this just raises so many questions. How the hell do you not see a road blocked off for a motorcade? How do the police not properly block off a street? Did Obama peer out the window and think a dumpy white guy on a citibike tried to assassinate him?

Looked propertly blocked off to me, as evidenced by the bike dude not making it past the cops. :v:

I bet that guy is glad he didn't have a bike with saddle bags.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Spun Dog posted:

Did you type that right Joe, do I actually agree with Mike Lee on something?

Here's his press release on the amendment: http://www.lee.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/speeches?ID=6A3F6B15-D409-4BE5-87CB-9FB04FC12292

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Doesn't seem like there is much objectionable about this. Classic broken clock scenario.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Oh well, I thought I was awesome

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Huh.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just a reminder that this movie just came out and may still be playing in your local art house theater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ4FIGnJknk

This looks excellent, but I don't see any reason to watch it in a theater.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

blue squares posted:

This looks excellent, but I don't see any reason to watch it in a theater.

Fair enough. I don't know what the digital distribution schedule looks like for it, so I don't know how long you'll have to wait or which service you'll have to use to watch it at home. :shrug:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

A note on this photo: All the empty glasses belong to Boehner.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The manspreading is real.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

sean10mm posted:

Prester isn't SMG last I checked.

It's not SMG, it's a pot-shot as Terry von Feleday, who wrote a very good and insightful defence of the Transformers movie series, and has a history of (treated and managed) mental illness.

It's also a dumb analogy because amateur film criticism is nothing like amateur psychoanalysis.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"I've always thought," said Rainsford, "that the Cape buffalo is the most dangerous of all big game."

For a moment the general did not reply; he was smiling his curious red-lipped smile. Then he said slowly, "No. You are wrong, sir. The Cape buffalo is not the most dangerous big game." He sipped his wine. "Here in my preserve on this island," he said in the same slow tone, "I hunt more dangerous game."

Rainsford expressed his surprise. "Is there big game on this island?"

The general nodded. "The biggest."

"Really?"

"Oh, it isn't here naturally, of course. I have to stock the island."

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

The Online Hate Symbol Database is really interesting. Never knew that ACAB was a skinhead thing. Plus the KKK stole the Triforce.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Internet Webguy posted:

Plus the KKK stole the Triforce.

So did a sorority.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Not all skinheads are nazi assholes
https://youtu.be/LX5chjCjDkg

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I was watching MSNBC cut away from a Bernie speech to a Warren speech (a good metaphor) and holy poo poo is she crushing it.

The speech is about GOP obstructionism and attacks on the judiciary. Also Trump.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Boon posted:

So I was watching MSNBC cut away from a Bernie speech to a Warren speech (a good metaphor) and holy poo poo is she crushing it.

The speech is about GOP obstructionism and attacks on the judiciary. Also Trump.

:agreed: God drat she is amazing, wish she would have ran.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't remember what she started out talking about but now she's just ripping into Trump.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Can I please get that graph that shows every possible electoral outcome based on polls and has only one tiny bar on the trump side? I know I saved it but I cannot find it.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Defenestration posted:

Can I please get that graph that shows every possible electoral outcome based on polls and has only one tiny bar on the trump side? I know I saved it but I cannot find it.

s'on the front page dawg

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/05/31/state-poll-snapshot-clinton-336-trump-202-ev-meta-margin-4-2/#more-15796

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Defenestration posted:

Beaten already I see by the preview, but the site it's from is here: http://election.princeton.edu/

Edit: Oh you linked the site too. Well, how about that weather, eh?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Internet Webguy posted:

Plus the KKK stole the Triforce.

Seems fair, wizards have been steeling triforces since 1986.

Winkie01 posted:

:agreed: God drat she is amazing, wish she would have ran.

She's far more valuable to the country in the Senate, holding Schumer's feet to the fire.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 10, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/06/08/california-end-of-life-brittany-maynard/85598064/

Does someone want to tell the Mormons and Catholics that we do this all the time? Its called war?

Doesn't make it right.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gyges posted:

Seems fair, wizards have been steeling triforces since 1986.

She's far more valuable to the country in the Senate, holding Schumer's feet to the fire.

That said, she could be a Biden quality VP. Her troll-fu game is strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For reference, this is now her most retweeted tweet ever. The previous record was for 135,000, which this blew past in about an hour and a half. It's 4:42 PM EST and we're at 177,416 so far. Trump's got 14,182.

would have been great if his retweets stopped at 14,088

• Locked thread