Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaggar posted:

always stored procs

we have like 200, it's a goddamn mess

stored procs getting shoved into a DataSet by some magic method left by devs past has been a surprisingly tolerable data layer to work with tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shaggar posted:

usually I use some kind of sql mapper like mybatis or dapper. mybatis is really good. dapper is mediocre and I've run into problems w/ it related to procs. worst case ontario you use sqlclient of EF function mapping tho I guess they're gonna get rid of that iirc.

Get two birds stoned at once

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
orms are great for just throwing poo poo at a database and getting basic persistence.

then the moment your app starts doing real work instead of being a toy example, you'll find yourself thinking "why the gently caress did I use an orm" but it'll be way too late to fix it.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

HoboMan posted:

it finally happened, a query so huge the optimizer crashes

i accidentally submitted a 12gb query the other day

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Jabor posted:

then the moment your app starts doing real work instead of being a toy example, you'll find yourself thinking "why the gently caress did I use an orm" but it'll be way too late to fix it.

especially if your backend team is petty enough to design a schema that's actively hostile to the orm the other team chose.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
been doing time and date related utility classes, you know "compare these to timestamps, but at a precision of 1 day", "give me the timestamp from the beginning of the year"

"what is joda time?" :doh:
"oh, we already have a dependency on joda time" :doh::doh:
"oh, java 8 introduced java.time" :doh::doh::doh:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

If you use Java 8 these help: https://github.com/ThreeTen/threeten-extra

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ugh. my boss is being demoted because higher-ups want to go buzzword chasing and he stood up to them. politics are ensuing. apparently the guy replacing him has a management philosophy of "overload everyone, the survivors are the ones you want to keep anyway". i wish i could just sit in my office and program and not worry about politics :sigh:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
get a new job

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
java.time is kicking my rear end, but kind of in a good way.

JavaScript code:
        Date date = butt.getDate();
        LocalDate localDate = LocalDate.from(date.toInstant());
Exception in thread "main" java.time.DateTimeException: Unable to obtain LocalDate from TemporalAccessor: 2016-06-09T17:24:07.376Z of type java.time.Instant

:confused: oh, it wants a timezone, fair enough.

JavaScript code:
        LocalDate localDate = LocalDate.from(date.toInstant().atZone(ZoneId.of(MY_TIMEZONE)));

System.out.printf("the date is %s", DateTimeFormatter.ISO_LOCAL_DATE_TIME.format(localDate));
Exception in thread "main" java.time.temporal.UnsupportedTemporalTypeException: Unsupported field: HourOfDay

you cheeky bastard.

JavaScript code:
        LocalDate localDate = LocalDate.from(date.toInstant().atZone(ZoneId.of(MY_TIMEZONE)));

System.out.printf("the date is %s", DateTimeFormatter.ISO_DATE.format(localDate));

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

tef posted:

get a new job

yeah uh, your main justification for putting up with terrible technical things has been "they treat me well", so if that's no longer the case it's time to move on

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
you know, all of the horrible processes and reallly bad thing to do with the project i work on, i realise i actually like my job

its too bad that the brexit vote is probably going to wreck the uk economy regardless of the outcome though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Plorkyeran posted:

yeah uh, your main justification for putting up with terrible technical things has been "they treat me well", so if that's no longer the case it's time to move on

believe me, ive been thinking about it, but im kinda stuck now because my wife is getting promoted at her job which is also in madison and right now we financially cant float the mortgage on our house if it doesnt sell right away were we to move.

i guess i could still be looking for jobs that are 100% remote but my credentials probably aren't good enough to land those. i dunno, maybe im panicking over nothing. id hate to uproot my life only to find out i really am not good enough for other programming jobs and be left with nothing.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

today i learned that my cube is next to the one for our new SEC monitor.
i learned this because yesterday i was talking about another IT person about our web app at my desk and the phrase "i don't care about controls" was uttered. i don't even remember, but it would have only been said in the context of a user or web control (you know, like a checkbox). well the SEC person assumed we were talking about SEC controls or something and filed a complaint.
i'm not allowed to talk to people at my desk anymore. :(

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

believe me, ive been thinking about it, but im kinda stuck now because my wife is getting promoted at her job which is also in madison and right now we financially cant float the mortgage on our house if it doesnt sell right away were we to move.

i guess i could still be looking for jobs that are 100% remote but my credentials probably aren't good enough to land those. i dunno, maybe im panicking over nothing. id hate to uproot my life only to find out i really am not good enough for other programming jobs and be left with nothing.

you're very qualified and good. lots of places will hire you, you just need to find the ones that know how to dig a little deeper than x years mumps experience.

fortunately, the kinds of jobs that will be interested in hiring you despite mumps will be the kinds of jobs you want.

i would certainly hire you based on your posts alone, and red hat isn't exactly a scrub tier job. put your mumps posts in a blog and you'll have interested people, i guarantee it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it is very evident that you're a very good programmer and other people will recognize that as well

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Wheany posted:

java.time is kicking my rear end, but kind of in a good way.

JavaScript code:
        LocalDate localDate = LocalDate.from(date.toInstant());
Exception in thread "main" java.time.DateTimeException: Unable to obtain LocalDate from TemporalAccessor: 2016-06-09T17:24:07.376Z of type java.time.Instant

:confused: oh, it wants a timezone, fair enough.

JavaScript code:

System.out.printf("the date is %s", DateTimeFormatter.ISO_LOCAL_DATE_TIME.format(localDate));
Exception in thread "main" java.time.temporal.UnsupportedTemporalTypeException: Unsupported field: HourOfDay

you cheeky bastard.

JavaScript code:

System.out.printf("the date is %s", DateTimeFormatter.ISO_DATE.format(localDate));

i'm guessing that it threw the exception because you gave a LocalDate to something expecting a DATE_TIME, but i wish java's type system could catch this at compile time instead of runtime.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

put your mumps posts in a blog and you'll have interested people, i guarantee it

lol, that might be fun just for the comments alone :)

yeah, i need to chew on this situation for a bit, work through it with my fam, and definitely consider the idea of job hunting. also work through it with my boss a bit. while he's not going to be our division lead anymore, he's still going to be my direct manager, so maybe i will still be sheltered from the higher up bs. situations like this make me feel like not a real adult because i get this paralysis about "what if it doesnt work out".

i know merciful gently caress all about linux other than interacting with the shell at like a 3rd grade level to do compsci homework or session into cache, but holy poo poo was os programming a fun course so you definitely have my interest.

from all of you guys' posts it seems like most of you have job hopped somewhat. are any of you married? how did you handle the complexity of keeping your spouse's career in mind through the process? we both grew up in this area and all of our family is here so there's also the personal aspect that if i moved jobs id necessarily be tearing her away from her job and family.

sorry to use the thread as my personal therapists' office. ill stop now if its too off topic.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

sorry to use the thread as my personal therapists' office. ill stop now if its too off topic.

No this is all good stuff. I'm gonna be going into industry when I get my PhD in a year and I'll be looking at a lot of the same issues. I'm interested to see how people respond.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Condiv posted:

i'm guessing that it threw the exception because you gave a LocalDate to something expecting a DATE_TIME, but i wish java's type system could catch this at compile time instead of runtime.

yes, a LocalDate doesn't have any fields smaller than a day, and no timezone either.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I gotta figure out how to play FM music with a sound blaster

can't have a dos game without FM music

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

from all of you guys' posts it seems like most of you have job hopped somewhat. are any of you married? how did you handle the complexity of keeping your spouse's career in mind through the process? we both grew up in this area and all of our family is here so there's also the personal aspect that if i moved jobs id necessarily be tearing her away from her job and family.

i'm lucky enough to have a partner who can find work basically anywhere there's a college or uni around but we just... did it? i accepted an offer, we sold everything and hopped on a plane, she looked for work once we got here. if you're both in decently high demand fields and you move to a medium or large city you'll be fine, imo.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

yeah, i need to chew on this situation for a bit, work through it with my fam, and definitely consider the idea of job hunting. also work through it with my boss a bit. while he's not going to be our division lead anymore, he's still going to be my direct manager, so maybe i will still be sheltered from the higher up bs. situations like this make me feel like not a real adult because i get this paralysis about "what if it doesnt work out".

do keep in mind that job hunting does not require quitting first, or even mentally checking out and collecting a paycheck while not doing much actual work for a while. there's no real downside to spending a few hours each week checking out what your options are and applying to jobs that you don't think you're qualified for, and sometimes it'll turn out that they disagree. it's only when you get to the phase of actually taking days off work to go to interviews that it starts to get weird

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i handled it by being the trailing spouse and talking currentjob into letting me go remote

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ugh. my boss is being demoted because higher-ups want to go buzzword chasing and he stood up to them. politics are ensuing. apparently the guy replacing him has a management philosophy of "overload everyone, the survivors are the ones you want to keep anyway". i wish i could just sit in my office and program and not worry about politics :sigh:

arent yall a big enough place you can move laterally?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fritz posted:

arent yall a big enough place you can move laterally?

theoretically, yes. for me there's more roadblocks because of how i got into my job. to be approved to move from jr to full dev (i'm not actually called a dev, i have the made up title *application support engineer* ) i have to stay where i am for a full year and then get good reviews form my team lead. ive known my current team lead for 4 years, since i was a technical writer, and he respects me a lot. moving to another team would gently caress with that timeline. once i actually get the title upgrade and start making my six figgies, ya i can pretty much ask to move wherever interests me within the company.

i think the hardest part right now is that my wife's being fast tracked to become a lead sales rep at her company and that's a pretty tough world to break into as a woman with a degree in poetry. once you're in, you can go anywhere, but she's sort of right at the most fragile part of that process. basically this news from my tl came at the worst possible time :v:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ITT we realize that LeftistMuslimObama works for our former employer

keep your head down, think it through, and talk to people

I have complicated ideas about telecommute-only jobs you'd be good at, but nothing I can point to at this time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

do keep in mind that job hunting does not require quitting first, or even mentally checking out and collecting a paycheck while not doing much actual work for a while.

on the flipside some aspects of this totally own

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Wheany posted:

yes, a LocalDate doesn't have any fields smaller than a day, and no timezone either.

just dot complete to victory, from is to keep the type system open for extension (without breaking immutablity by letting idiots inherit and override things)

code:
date.toInstant().atZone(ZoneId.of(WHATEVER)).toLocalDate();

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Bloody posted:

on the flipside some aspects of this totally own

only if you're sure you're actually going to leave. if you coast for a while and then realize you don't actually have any better opportunities it's pretty hard to re-engage.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it is very evident that you're a very good programmer and other people will recognize that as well

yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tbqh i don't know much about programming specifically i know enough to recognize that LMO is extremely good at something wackadoo and that is an excellent signifier that you are real good and will be a good hire

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you're very qualified and good. lots of places will hire you, you just need to find the ones that know how to dig a little deeper than x years mumps experience.

fortunately, the kinds of jobs that will be interested in hiring you despite mumps will be the kinds of jobs you want.

i would certainly hire you based on your posts alone, and red hat isn't exactly a scrub tier job. put your mumps posts in a blog and you'll have interested people, i guarantee it

basically this yeah

simble
May 11, 2004

is elixir a cool and good language? i've been reading about it and it looks like a cool and good language

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

simble posted:

is elixir a cool and good language? i've been reading about it and it looks like a cool and good language

idk if it's as cool and good as you're av but it's p deece i guess?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
the best thing about LMO getting a new job is the inevitable "oops i used a btree to do something that definitely didnt need to be a btree" moments they're gonna post in the terrible programmer thread while they sweat through mumps withdrawals

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Corla Plankun posted:

the best thing about LMO getting a new job is the inevitable "oops i used a btree to do something that definitely didnt need to be a btree" moments they're gonna post in the terrible programmer thread while they sweat through mumps withdrawals

i didn't know i was looking forward to this but now i am

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, remember how I said to send me your résumé?

send me your résumé.

résumé, sned.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

hi,

even if something did come up you would shoot it down

most job openings are "we want a magical unicorn" and eventually they settle for slobs like you and I, warts and all

so, go write a cv, and try to make it not look as if you've just got your foot in the door

less a "look at the things you don't have to teach me to use" but "look at the scars and wounds i have recieved from trying to do a thing"

then, ask around. lotta places are good on remote but bad on timezones, they'll pick someone like you over someone in EU

i'm saying that if you don't believe you can land a remote gig then you will pretty much sabotage any chance you get

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

simble posted:

for the time being it's trendy and probably has a decent community but it really could just turn into another dsl hellhole. at the least you'd get a foray into otp by using it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

really depends if you want to work with like 75-90% ex ruby devs (strictly on the erlang side of things)

• Locked thread