Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is the best place I can think to ask this, today's "No Hillary" meme seems to be "She'll start another war!". Bernie supporters seem to be saying this recently, but what the hell are they talking about? I could understand why they were starting to say they support Jill Stein, but this whole HILLARY'S WAR! thing is really confusing. I'm afraid to google it to end up Infowars or Natural News.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

This is the best place I can think to ask this, today's "No Hillary" meme seems to be "She'll start another war!". Bernie supporters seem to be saying this recently, but what the hell are they talking about? I could understand why they were starting to say they support Jill Stein, but this whole HILLARY'S WAR! thing is really confusing. I'm afraid to google it to end up Infowars or Natural News.

Clinton's foreign policy, which is actually Obama's foreign policy, will lead us to invading somewhere for undisclosed reasons.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Look into the Iranian Green Revolution - the State Department and CIA saw social media as useful tool in regime change. There's always unintended consequences and a profitable mess.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

twistedmentat posted:

Last time I asked this the answer that eventually got tracked down is that she supports funding NATO as a line against Russian aggression.

Which, you know. Isn't nearly the same thing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

twistedmentat posted:

There was a big article a little while back outlining how hawkish she's been as a Secretary of State, but I can't find it

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Commonly uttered in the Bernie thread was that she'd go to war against Iran. Being hawkish doesn't equal starting wars but you know how they are with nuance.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zophar posted:

Clinton's foreign policy, which is actually Obama's foreign policy, will lead us to invading somewhere for undisclosed reasons.

Based on some second and third hand reporting, she was slightly more hawkish than Obama as SecState, but that's fine by me. Maybe she'd eg commit more resources in Syria, or accidentally misplace a few truckloads of munitions in Ukraine.

I basically see her as a slightly worse Obama third term on most counts, and I'm a huge goddamn fan of Obama. Best President since lbj and I like to think he'd have handled Vietnam better besides. :v:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

The main thing I've seen today is that she personally created and armed an army of child soldiers in South Sudan but of course there was no source there either.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Hillary Clinton has admitted before that she is vocally more aggressive/'hawkish' on foreign affairs than Obama has been, particularly in regards to the middle east. "She'll start another war" is a disingenuous way of saying that she'll probably want to be more militarily active in the middle east.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rollofthedice posted:

Hillary Clinton has admitted before that she is vocally more aggressive/'hawkish' on foreign affairs than Obama has been, particularly in regards to the middle east. "She'll start another war" is a disingenuous way of saying that she'll probably want to be more militarily active in the middle east.

Oh, she outright said it? I must have misremembered, I thought I only heard it from the Obama Doctrine essay and other inside baseball reporting.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Gyges posted:

Seems fair, wizards have been steeling triforces since 1986.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The main things that I see get thrown at her feet is that she was very gung-ho about Libya and that she wanted a Bosnia-style no-fly zone over Syria (which would have amounted to a war declaration on Assad's SAA)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Haystack posted:

The main things that I see get thrown at her feet is that she was very gung-ho about Libya and that she wanted a Bosnia-style no-fly zone over Syria (which would have amounted to a war declaration on Assad's SAA)

I do wonder how the past 5 years would have gone if we'd managed to remove the SAA/Assad from the picture earlier. I understand the Russia part of that problem and I'm including that with the counterfactual.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh, she outright said it? I must have misremembered, I thought I only heard it from the Obama Doctrine essay and other inside baseball reporting.

She advocated for Libya and, I think, was vocally pro Syrian intervention. She was also in favor of harsher negotiating positions in the Iran deal. This doesn't in any way mean she's going to invade Iran or start an Iraq 3.0.

It should also be contextualized with the admission that Obama's been dropping bombs like a motherfucker via drones. Really, in the future US foreign intervention is likely to use far more drones than troops and bombers. No matter who is president for the foreseeable future, America is gonna be drone striking individuals on the regular. President Sanders almost certainly would have done the same.

The reality is that while Hillary is a little more hardline than Obama in negotiations and policy, we are unlikely to be in a situation where Hillary starts a war. Most likely scenario where Hillary commits a bunch of troops is some U.N. Peacekeeping mission with actual, valid, reason for existing.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

boom boom boom posted:

that looks more like a badger

I suggest something that looks even more like a badger:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So who's had a worse week this week? Trump, or Trump surrogates?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

twistedmentat posted:

She explicitly stated in a debate that she will establish a no-fly zone in Syria, which would be viewed as an act of aggression by the Assad regime and its backers (Russia and Iran). It was especially odd as it came just shortly after the very entry of the Russian military into the country, which would not take kindly to an American attempt to establish a no-fly zone.

Assad and his regime are contemptible, but that statement caused a bit of a WTF moment in foreign policy circles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had a feeling that it was just more dumbass Sander's supporters (note, those are different from regular Sanders supporters) completely twisting reality again. The same people that have said 'well, she'll be the first presidential candidate under federal investigation!' completely ignoring the investigation is completely made up by the Republicans because they have a 25 year old vendetta against her.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Not that political, but has Anderson Cooper ever actually explicitly state he's gay? Because right now on CNN, discussing their special about AIDs in the 80s, he just openly talked about coming out to his friends in high schoo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trumps really bad no good week continues

Hundreds Claim Donald Trump Doesn't Pay His Bills in Full

I see the vetting for the General Election has begun. :getin:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Not that political, but has Anderson Cooper ever actually explicitly state he's gay? Because right now on CNN, discussing their special about AIDs in the 80s, he just openly talked about coming out to his friends in high schoo.

Yes, lots of times.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

WampaLord posted:

Yes, lots of times.

Huh, I swear I remember that being treated like the one of open secrets in the journalistic world. My mistake.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aerox posted:

The main thing I've seen today is that she personally created and armed an army of child soldiers in South Sudan but of course there was no source there either.

They're thinking of Metal Gear again. That being said, no, Hideo Kojima and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty are not acceptable sources.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

I had a feeling that it was just more dumbass Sander's supporters (note, those are different from regular Sanders supporters) completely twisting reality again. The same people that have said 'well, she'll be the first presidential candidate under federal investigation!' completely ignoring the investigation is completely made up by the Republicans because they have a 25 year old vendetta against her.

You might want to read the report that the state department inspector general published.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Boon posted:

N-no, it's on purpose, he has a plan, he's smart and cooL!!!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, the serious concerns over the security of the Secretary of State's communications, plus the various transparency mandates that government servants keep archivable records of such is just right-wing nutjobbery.

It's not like the State Department IG delivered a strong statement that it was entirely outside of procedure and should have never taken place or anything. :jerkbag:

People who whine that Clinton's 'being picked on by something so frivolous as email' are either ignorant of or don't give a gently caress about either InfoSec or governmental transparency.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Huh, I swear I remember that being treated like the one of open secrets in the journalistic world. My mistake.

It was until a few years ago.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, the serious concerns over the security of the Secretary of State's communications, plus the various transparency mandates that government servants keep archivable records of such is just right-wing nutjobbery.

It's not like the State Department IG delivered a strong statement that it was entirely outside of procedure and should have never taken place or anything. :jerkbag:

People who whine that Clinton's 'being picked on by something so frivolous as email' are either ignorant of or don't give a gently caress about either InfoSec or governmental transparency.

Funny how no one gave a gently caress about either InfoSec or governmental transparency until Hillary got caught up in maybe possibly being involved in some way that hardly anyone can properly articulate.

I bet if you showed the average person, hell even a knowledgeable person, 10 seemingly inane documents and asked them to pick out the one that is classified as 'top secret' they couldn't do it. Hell I bet if you presented someone 100 'top secret' documents and only revealed that they were classified as such after they looked them over they would be completely surprised.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 10, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Boon posted:

Trump surrogates by far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2pqX27lc-4

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

The emails are "how do I set up my dvr to record tv shows"

Nobody gives a poo poo

If it was full of vile, conniving stuff, then sure, I'd care, but it's all poo poo that doesn't matter.

It's "bad" but not really worth caring about compared to actually important issues.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trumps really bad no good week continues

Hundreds Claim Donald Trump Doesn't Pay His Bills in Full

I see the vetting for the General Election has begun. :getin:

god drat is the republican party bad

not a single loving bit of oppo work done by any of them and wouldn't you know what happens like just when clinton starts to clinch?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Funny how no one gave a gently caress about either InfoSec or governmental transparency until Hillary got caught up in maybe possibly being involved in some way that hardly anyone can properly articulate.

The general public is only aware of things that manage to make it into the headlines. Plenty of people have decried failures of both (on the left and the right) since the dawn of time.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

you're thinking shep smith

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Cugel the Clever posted:

"Governmental Transparency"? Really? :jerkbag:

gently caress right off. We have a literal secret court that decides if the NSA can spy on you with no oversight. An FBI that is publicly insinuating that good cybersecurity practices are something that hinders the carriage of justice, and you're worried about the email a former secretary of state had on a private server that was by all accounts light years ahead of the IT norm in the Federal government. :getout:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I want everybody to think back on how the GOP idiots had like 8 months to dig up stuff on Trump and only came up with 1 Trump U one liner, basically, and nothing else

"Strongest field of candidates ever"

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

god drat is the republican party bad

not a single loving bit of oppo work done by any of them and wouldn't you know what happens like just when clinton starts to clinch?

Rubio and Cruz didn't start oppo on Trump until February

This on a guy who didn't do any on himself AT ALL

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

quote =/= edit

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

FTFY

Anyone have refutation for the point made about her giving a speech on economic inequality in a $12k jacket? Was the meme accurate?

Oh he's a just a lovely concern troll

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm pretty sure the issue is that she broke protocol and kept State Department emails on a private server, which may have been a threat to national security.

After 20 years of right-wing attacks the knee-jerk response of assuming anything negative said about Hialry Clinton is a lie seems pretty reasonable. But it seems to me like this email thing is an actual issue. I have no idea how big of an issue, because you've got one side that's hated her guts for decades and on the other side people just lying and saying "nothing happened, the FBI officially pronounced her totally great and faultless"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

She advocated for Libya and, I think, was vocally pro Syrian intervention. She was also in favor of harsher negotiating positions in the Iran deal. This doesn't in any way mean she's going to invade Iran or start an Iraq 3.0.

It should also be contextualized with the admission that Obama's been dropping bombs like a motherfucker via drones. Really, in the future US foreign intervention is likely to use far more drones than troops and bombers. No matter who is president for the foreseeable future, America is gonna be drone striking individuals on the regular. President Sanders almost certainly would have done the same.

The reality is that while Hillary is a little more hardline than Obama in negotiations and policy, we are unlikely to be in a situation where Hillary starts a war. Most likely scenario where Hillary commits a bunch of troops is some U.N. Peacekeeping mission with actual, valid, reason for existing.

I am very nearly 100% behind Operation Flying Death Robot (I have some concerns that we are a little too blase about utilizing our cost effective low risk robot assassins because they are cost effective and low risk) and I concur, I don't see her being all that much more actual-warmongering than Barack Hussein Obama, fairly awesome President.

poo poo, her husband's major war (and I expect she will have a similar advisor team) was a pretty solid humanitarian-ish intervention against a notably shitheaded regime. I haven't read any serious arguments against protecting Kosovo, and the only arguments against the wider bombing of Serbia boil down to it not being necessary to the overall objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I'm pretty sure the issue is that she broke protocol and kept State Department emails on a private server, which may have been a threat to national security.

After 20 years of right-wing attacks the knee-jerk response of assuming anything negative said about Hialry Clinton is a lie seems pretty reasonable. But it seems to me like this email thing is an actual issue. I have no idea how big of an issue, because you've got one side that's hated her guts for decades and on the other side people just lying and saying "nothing happened, the FBI officially pronounced her totally great and faultless"

It's bad but it's not horrific. I am 100% behind Obama amending information security policies to make it no longer technically allowable ish, which mysteriously happened shortly after Clinton retired from State.

• Locked thread