Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Raerlynn posted:

"Governmental Transparency"? Really? :jerkbag:

gently caress right off. We have a literal secret court that decides if the NSA can spy on you with no oversight. An FBI that is publicly insinuating that good cybersecurity practices are something that hinders the carriage of justice, and you're worried about the email a former secretary of state had on a private server that was by all accounts light years ahead of the IT norm in the Federal government. :getout:
Yep, because other parts of the government do awful things, too, means we should just not give a poo poo when the Secretary of State does so. If she had a problem with how the State Department was handling its email policy, perhaps she, as Secretary of State could have done something about it. The IG's report indicates that she didn't even begin to try to follow established procedure, established the private server without the input of anyone at State, and that her flunkies went after anyone in State who raised the question of its use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I don't think you're going to find much care about THE EMAILS in this thread anymore. It's been done, done, and done again, like 100 times

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Not that political, but has Anderson Cooper ever actually explicitly state he's gay? Because right now on CNN, discussing their special about AIDs in the 80s, he just openly talked about coming out to his friends in high schoo.

On the topic of this special, I turned this on (it's really quite good, Tom Hanks had a hand in producing it so it's much better than your average CNN thing) and I saw Geraldo Rivera on there calling out Ronald Reagan for his lack of response to the AIDS crisis.

What the gently caress happened to him in the 30 years between then and now to turn him into the Fox News anchor we know and dislike today?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

E-mail chat is now relegated to the e-mail indictment toxx thread

e: I didn't realize that

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 10, 2016

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

emdash posted:

I don't think you're going to find much care about THE EMAILS in this thread anymore. It's been done, done, and done again, like 100 times
Definitely, but it's worth a refutation when a blind fanboy pretends that it's established fact that there's no left-wing objection to her/her staff's behavior here.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's bad but it's not horrific. I am 100% behind Obama amending information security policies to make it no longer technically allowable ish, which mysteriously happened shortly after Clinton retired from State.

But apparently what she did was already against the rules?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/clinton-broke-federal-rules-email-server-audit-finds-n580131

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

E-mail chat is now relegated to the e-mail indictment toxx thread

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

I'm pretty sure the issue is that she broke protocol and kept State Department emails on a private server, which may have been a threat to national security.

After 20 years of right-wing attacks the knee-jerk response of assuming anything negative said about Hialry Clinton is a lie seems pretty reasonable. But it seems to me like this email thing is an actual issue. I have no idea how big of an issue, because you've got one side that's hated her guts for decades and on the other side people just lying and saying "nothing happened, the FBI officially pronounced her totally great and faultless"
Holy poo poo this is literally textbook concern trolling. It's kind of beautiful.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I still don't understand the whole drat issue. She had a personal email(that she had the server herself doesn't matter from most perspectives). Was that email exclusively what she was using for work emails? Was she occasionally using it for work emails? Is this whole thing about her having the gall to have a private email account when she was the SoS? because if it was the first two then I can definitely understand people being upset. If it is the last one than people are dumb as gently caress.

According to the wikipedia page about this, she used the private server for State Department business, and a bunch of the information on it was later declared Classified.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Holy poo poo this is literally textbook concern trolling. It's kind of beautiful.

Concern trolling is meant to derail a discussion about a worthy issue. This is basically a glorified chat thread, I'm not derailing anything

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am very nearly 100% behind Operation Flying Death Robot (I have some concerns that we are a little too blase about utilizing our cost effective low risk robot assassins because they are cost effective and low risk) and I concur, I don't see her being all that much more actual-warmongering than Barack Hussein Obama, fairly awesome President.

Despite Ted Rall's mind numbingly grating obsession with drones, there still are a lot of legitimate concerns about our use of drones to blow the poo poo out of whoever. Everything from ethics concerns to even whether or not the drat things are accomplishing anything. The program accomplishing little other than killing civilians would not surprise me in the slightest.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
People only care about emails because fox news and the gop propaganda machine have been beating that particular drum. If it wasn't that it'd be Benghazi. If it wasnt that it'd be the clinton foundation. If it wasn't that it'd be blow jobs. If it wasn't that it'd be her preferred direction the tp faces. It's all bullshit non stories because the gop has nothing on Hillary worth salt. Nothing at all that isn't pots and kettles.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DemeaninDemon posted:

People only care about emails because fox news and the gop propaganda machine have been beating that particular drum. If it wasn't that it'd be Benghazi. If it wasnt that it'd be the clinton foundation. If it wasn't that it'd be blow jobs. If it wasn't that it'd be her preferred direction the tp faces. It's all bullshit non stories because the gop has nothing on Hillary worth salt. Nothing at all that isn't pots and kettles.

You know, except where the Obama administration appointed state department inspector general released a report detailing what was out of line.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

yeah, but she actually does have a poo poo opinion on what way tp should face, so that is a legit thing, especially since she is using the Clinton Foundation to spread such a poo poo opinion worldwide

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grognan posted:

You know, except where the Obama administration appointed state department inspector general released a report detailing what was out of line.

If you're so sure she's going to get indicted, Toxx it

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Question.

There was that report yesterday that said that Trump doesn't plan on fundraising anymore because he thinks his name recognition will be enough to win votes. Is there any news that GOP donors will have to come out and compensate? Specifically when it comes to House races? I wouldn't think the Koch bros. would just sit around and do nothing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DemeaninDemon posted:

She is literally currently under investigation by the FBI. Even if it's for something minor that's really nothing at all, just the fact that you could run "_______ is currently being investigated by the FBI" as an accurate headline would sink any other candidate.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

She is literally currently under investigation by the FBI. Even if it's for something minor that's really nothing at all, just the fact that you could run "_______ is currently being investigated by the FBI" as an accurate headline would sink any other candidate.

It's funny how bad you are at this when you haven't even heard of Michael Grimm.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

TeenageArchipelago posted:

what she did was wrong, and in a perfect world it either should not have happened, or she should have been punished for any wrongdoing.

that said, I think that everyone should be treated the same way in issues like this. I'm pretty sure that she was not the first SoS that did this, and given the incredibly political nature of the whole issue I do think that it is necessary for her to be treated identically to how all of the other SoS's are being treated.

with that said, I still don't understand the whole drat issue. She had a personal email(that she had the server herself doesn't matter from most perspectives). Was that email exclusively what she was using for work emails? Was she occasionally using it for work emails? Is this whole thing about her having the gall to have a private email account when she was the SoS? because if it was the first two then I can definitely understand people being upset. If it is the last one than people are dumb as gently caress.
You're right that she's hardly the first to do so, and the case does show just how much the threat of cyber espionage and cyberwarfare have become a serious concern over the last decade. (an aside: I have no idea why the former word is separated and the latter is joined, but the Internet seems to confirm that it's correct—what the gently caress, English?)

Basically, she utilized the same address for all email correspondence, both personal and work-related, entirely out of reach of the various mechanisms that have been established to ensure archival and transparency until the scandal forced her to release the servers. It should be noted that her staff tried to 'wipe' the data from the server prior to release, asserting they would only wipe personal correspondence.

It demonstrates, at best, a lack of judgement. Defenders will say the decision was borne out of a history of right-wing smear-mongering, but that's a pretty weak excuse that has been derided on the part of the Left that concerns itself with such things.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Trabisnikof posted:

It's funny how bad you are at this when you haven't even heard of Michael Grimm.

Bad at what? What do you think I'm trying to do? Imagine for one moment that when I asked if there was a decent summary of the Clinton email thing I was asking a genuine question and not trying to Jedi Mind trick you all in some way

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Where is all this outrage when the Department of State's official email servers got hacked? It's strange how that seems to never get people as up in arms.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Where is all this outrage when the Department of State's official email servers got hacked? It's strange how that seems to never get people as up in arms.

You mean the unclassified system?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cybersecurity-statedept-idUSKCN0J11BR20141117

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yes, the exact same system Clinton should have used instead of her personal one. That's the joke of all this.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Bad at what? What do you think I'm trying to do? Imagine for one moment that when I asked if there was a decent summary of the Clinton email thing I was asking a genuine question and not trying to Jedi Mind trick you all in some way
"Careful son, only Commies ask questions. You're not a Commie, are ya boy?"

The kneejerk attack against honest questions that could reflect poorly on the subject is all too common amongst fanboys and ideologues.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes, the exact same system Clinton should have used instead of her personal one.

Actually no, it really isn't. Classified information goes on a separate network.

Also, knowing that a hack has taken place allows follow up on possibly compromised information. Without oversight and monitoring, there would be no way to tell if a private server got hacked or simply just left remote access on an open port.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 10, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grognan posted:

Actually no, it really isn't. Classified information goes on a separate network.

There wasn't a classified email option offered to Clinton.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, and who gives a poo poo?

Maybe you'll gain more traction next time by saying that we should repeal the PPACA or give a hot take about what actually happened in Benghazi.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

inkblot posted:

Despite Ted Rall's mind numbingly grating obsession with drones, there still are a lot of legitimate concerns about our use of drones to blow the poo poo out of whoever. Everything from ethics concerns to even whether or not the drat things are accomplishing anything. The program accomplishing little other than killing civilians would not surprise me in the slightest.

My position boils down to: if drones are being used for things we would normally use planes for, they are an unequivocal good on all counts. When they enable things we would never use a plane for, it becomes an interesting conversation but I am cautiously pro drone if the procedures involved aren't garbage.

That criterion is, admittedly, a topic of some concern.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Then she should have actually sanitized her poo poo with proper oversight instead of broadcasting in the open. They already found emails that got lost/deleted from the FOIA request from other receiving accounts with proper record keeping.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I'd love to see where you found that tidbit, as I believe the IG report found that her team set the server up without having consulted anyone about her options.

Edit:

Grognan posted:

Then she should have actually sanitized her poo poo with proper oversight instead of broadcasting in the open. They already found emails that got lost/deleted from the FOIA request from other receiving accounts with proper record keeping.
This, too. She was the Secretary of State. If she had a concern about the system's security at the time, it would have been her obligation to do something about it.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the only arguments against the wider bombing of Serbia boil down to it not being necessary to the overall objective.

I don't know much about that, but bombing a bunch of people when it's not necessary seems pretty bad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The ig report is a very reasonable argument. I guess I should have said "technically LEGAL", because from point one Obama would have been totally reasonable to fire her / request her resignation / advise her to knock that poo poo off as his employee.

He did not, and he also did not adjust procedural recommendations until after she left. I am not sure I feel good things about this.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr Interweb posted:

Question.

There was that report yesterday that said that Trump doesn't plan on fundraising anymore because he thinks his name recognition will be enough to win votes. Is there any news that GOP donors will have to come out and compensate? Specifically when it comes to House races? I wouldn't think the Koch bros. would just sit around and do nothing.

It's probably better for the down ticket since, theoretically at least, Trump won't be sucking up donation money. Money given to the Presidential candidate only trickles down the ticket like Reaganomics anyway.

The most likely reason Trumps is saying this is because 1)he doesn't like fundraising and only does the fun parts of running for President, 2)he's being told quite frequently by the big money donors to gently caress off, 3)donations given to his campaign the traditional way are way harded to graft on out and into his pockets than hat sales, 4)he really is dumb enough to think all he needs is rallies and media attention to win.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Yoshifan823 posted:

On the topic of this special, I turned this on (it's really quite good, Tom Hanks had a hand in producing it so it's much better than your average CNN thing) and I saw Geraldo Rivera on there calling out Ronald Reagan for his lack of response to the AIDS crisis.

What the gently caress happened to him in the 30 years between then and now to turn him into the Fox News anchor we know and dislike today?

9/11 turned Frank Miller into five thousand shades of crazy so maybe that. Or was the segment from that from before or after he screwed up trying to find Jimmy Hoffa's body, cause I think that broke his brain a bit, too.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I have a hard time believing this. I get that it isn't unbelievable that this isn't just a two decades old witch hunt or another Benghazi. But given all that does someone have a decent narration of where the email issue stands? I have yet to find anything that isn't a biased mess.

Edit: And just to be sure I checked the front page, there isn't anything. So could something (maybe some!) links be posted on the first page to some decent articles on this?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GladRagKraken posted:

I don't know much about that, but bombing a bunch of people when it's not necessary seems pretty bad.

I concur, but that instance becomes a very funky conversation. If I were adequately convinced of that argument I would frown on Team Bill going beyond the call of duty. I am not convinced it is valid, but I do not dismiss it out of hand (unlike "we should have let Milosevic purge Kosovo").

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

downout posted:

I have a hard time believing this. I get that it isn't unbelievable that this isn't just a two decades old witch hunt or another Benghazi. But given all that does someone have a decent narration of where the email issue stands? I have yet to find anything that isn't a biased mess.

https://oig.state.gov/system/files/esp-16-03.pdf

OIG report details how SoS from the W years through Kerry's appointment did things. Goes into requirements, best practices and how the internal review went. It is dry reading but welcome to an actual federal report instead of fox news blabbering.

From when I handled classified material, unclassified is stuff that is inconsequential. Anything above that is handled on an entirely separate network that is completely disconnected from anything else. Top secret gets another, different network. SAP is so far above that poo poo that I don't even know about that.

Leakage by accidentally crossing SIPR material over to unclassified networks was hammered in day one as something not to do because that's where a lot of oops leaks originated. They also detail that you don't hide that poo poo if you gently caress up and to come forward with it because poo poo happens, and they need to deal with the consequences of where that information might've gone to.

Hillary didn't have a classified option because she never tried to get one.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 10, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

downout posted:

There's the wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_email_controversy

The first sentence of that is

quote:

The Hillary Clinton email controversy began in March 2015, when it became publicly known that Hillary Clinton, during her tenure as United States Secretary of State, had exclusively used her family's private email server for official communications, rather than official State Department email accounts maintained on federal servers.

Wchich pretty strongly implies that there were federal serves she could've used, So I don't know what Trabisnikof is talking about

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yep, because other parts of the government do awful things, too, means we should just not give a poo poo when the Secretary of State does so.
You seem to be giving away an awful lot of poo poo in this thread though. Where was your shitposting when Bush admin officials did exactly the same thing according to basically the same regulations and policies? Where was you shitposting when we had warrantless wiretapping? After the Snowden leaks?

Basically if you're going to clutter up this thread with this poo poo, it seems you should be cluttering up a lot of other threads with a lot more poo poo. Have you got enough poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
None of investigations would have happened if the gop weren't out head hunting. None of it. Get that through your thick rear end posting finger.

• Locked thread