Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
hooray thread name change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Rufus Ping posted:

Has someone/something hosed up a firewall rule intended to punch a hole for DNS and failed to distinguish between src and dst ports

There's clearly an oversight in the firewall policies somewhere. If this were a Linux server then it would be trivial for me to sort this out in a few minutes. However, this is just a Mac Pro running El Capitan, and the user of this machine isn't the kind of person who would even know how to open Terminal let alone start mucking around with pfctl.

Which means that firewall policies that are in place are whatever Apple is doing in its PF anchors. So I thought maybe this might be documented somewhere, but I didn't find anything after Googling for a while. So I thought maybe someone here might be familiar with this.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

pf may very well be tarpitting and confusing your auditor's scanners. again, do you have any useful specifics?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ErIog posted:

I don't have a lot of information about how their scan was done. I just know it was a port scan from port 53 and also from their randomly chosen port of 21659. I was able to reproduce their findings with netcat.

Here's a snippet that shows what's happening for one of the destination ports they listed and a destination port I chose at random. As you can see, the machine is giving different information about ports depending on the source port of the request.

From most other ports, both TCP/UDP, you get what you would expect. If you scan from UDP port 53, though, then all UDP ports appear to be open.

im the udp connection refused.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

NAT-T Ice posted:

aaaaaaaa how did i overlook the moron who doesn't understand how stateless protocols work

(there is kind of a "connection refused" in UDP but it's actually Destination Host Unreachable and the response comes over ICMP)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

minivanmegafun posted:

pf may very well be tarpitting and confusing your auditor's scanners. again, do you have any useful specifics?

So I googled part of a sentence that came back in the auditor's report and found an expert sexchange with someone having the same issue come back from an auditor.

expert sexchange posted:

The following UDP port(s) responded with either an ICMP (port closed) or a UDP (port open) to our probes using a source port of 53, but they did not
respond when a random source port (5090) was used:
111 (closed), 5632 (closed), 517 (closed), 1701 (closed), 518 (closed), 3527 (closed), 123 (closed), 13 (closed), 3700 (closed), 53 (closed), 1812
(closed), 1434 (closed), 7 (closed).

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/27803187/Cisco-WRVS4400N-UDP-Filtering.html

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 10, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Good post, but can you pls fix the typo 'helf-pul'?

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
tell your auditor to PoC why a port responding to his automated scan is relevant to security of the system or gently caress off

osx has a heap of weird lovely stuff listening for network traffic

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
wouldnt you not want it responding to traffic from random ports?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Daman posted:

tell your auditor to PoC why a port responding to his automated scan is relevant to security of the system or gently caress off

I would love to. If I had my way I wouldn't be bothering with this at all, but my boss wants it dealt with because he doesn't want to deal with it. So I either need a write-up that's going to convince every single person up the chain or I can just muck around with PF to make everybody happy even though that would accomplish nothing.

That's why I thought to ask about it here. I was hoping someone could point me to a website I could link, and say, "yo, here's why, get hosed, not fixing."

:feelsshitty:

A Pinball Wizard posted:

wouldnt you not want it responding to traffic from random ports?

You'd think, but unfortunately decisions are being made based on "auditing" that treats port scans as gospel. And because of the nature of UDP, not responding is considered to be "open" by these port scanning tools.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 10, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tell your boss the auditor is much larger security fuckup than the Mac Pro is

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

ErIog posted:

That's why I thought to ask about it here. I was hoping someone could point me to a website I could link, and say, "yo, here's why, get hosed, not fixing."

:feelsshitty:

You'd think, but unfortunately decisions are being made based on "auditing" that treats port scans as gospel. And because of the nature of UDP, not responding is considered to be "open" by these port scanning tools.

tell your boss that because "port scans so often come from random ports", pf was activating "stealth mode" and thus is actually extra secure. for bonus points, reference https://www.grc.com/su/portstatusinfo.htm as an authority.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

any port in a pwn

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cheese-cube posted:

any port in a pwn

any any in a broadcast storm

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Carbon dioxide posted:

Good post, but can you pls fix the typo 'helf-pul'?

It is not a typo but how the CSS works

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

OSI bean dip posted:

It is not a typo but how the CSS works

I don't think he meant the hyphenation but helfpul vs helpful

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Isn't that a direct quote from one of their emails?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

git pull --helf

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
ah i see now. fixed :)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

it helps a lot that you're right, but this article is full of weird typos and grammatical errors that deprive it of the authority it should reasonably have. do you want an editor?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

NAT-T Ice posted:

lol

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

LordSaturn posted:

it helps a lot that you're right, but this article is full of weird typos and grammatical errors that deprive it of the authority it should reasonably have. do you want an editor?

pm me your e-mail address

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Soldier of Fortran posted:

tell your boss that because "port scans so often come from random ports", pf was activating "stealth mode" and thus is actually extra secure. for bonus points, reference https://www.grc.com/su/portstatusinfo.htm as an authority.

lol please don't cite steve gibson as an authority on anything other than being a dingus

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Winkle-Daddy posted:

lol please don't cite steve gibson as an authority on anything other than being a dingus

:thejoke:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I didn't know if ErIog would know it's a joke :ohdear:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The developer we hired to work on our web product (thank god I'm not working on it) my company sells just found out that our entire web-api is available without any sort of credentials. Thanks previous-poo poo developer!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ratbert90 posted:

The developer we hired to work on our web product (thank god I'm not working on it) my company sells just found out that our entire web-api is available without any sort of credentials. Thanks previous-poo poo developer!

ahahaha

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

ratbert90 posted:

if you fix this and it doesn't break anyone's workflow or product, your product is shite

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
this is really embarrassing but the first time i've ever found out about someone leaking my details (10 days ago, just catching up to thread now) was motherfucking scrum dot org

thanks for sharing my shame with the world

good thing it was a random password from keep a-

bicycle posted:

KeePass 2 Update Check, vulnerable to a MitM

https://bogner.sh/2016/03/mitm-attack-against-keepass-2s-update-check/

quote:

8.2.2016 @ 15:45: Received response from Dominik Reichl: The vulnerability will not be fixed. The indirect costs of switching to HTTPS (like lost advertisement revenue) make it a inviable solution.
Thinking of ditching keepass just because of that quote alone tbh
oh goddammit

i've long complained itt both about the site lacking https, and about them still unironically using sourceforge (though apparently the latter may not be an issue any more as they're no longer owned by DICE? though when I first noticed it was, and DICE were using a https cert for the single purpose of redirecting to http, lol). and yet i'm still dumb enough to keep using it

but yeah, finding out that a literal security product is not only avoiding https but doing so for the purpose of serving "ads" (malware) is a pretty big deal

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
also gently caress if i'd kept pulling that thread i apparently could've got a cve

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Cocoa Crispies posted:

frightfully common, and seems corollary to that single-beam german radar thing from wwii

github 404s for repos you're not authorized to see

the defcon ctf organizers do it for admin screens even though their app is open-source https://github.com/legitbs/ctf-registrar/blob/master/app/controllers/application_controller.rb#L90
i remember years ago reading some article about how login pages that have different error messages for "that account does not exist" and "that is not that account's password" have better ux but are worse for privacy, so particularly if you're an embarrassing site like ashley madison and you're letting people log in with their email address, it might be better to serve the same generic "invalid account name and/or password" error for both to avoid leaking the fact that your customers are customers at all

so maybe there could be a case for 404s in that github example. having a guessable repo name that needs to be kept secret does seem extremely edgecasey to me though, so really a 403 or whatever would still be better for ux reasons. but i guess i kind of see what they're doing?

what they're doing has nothing to do with security, they're just reusing the same error out of laziness

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Daman posted:

lol if you think auditors give a poo poo about issue relevance, [external] audits are basically blackmail where they wont sign off until you jump through hoops while they rack up an hourly rate

like, i had to run a webex so auditors could watch me run some sql (that they didn't understand) because they wouldnt trust me to just send them the output

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
re: first.last@gmailchat from like 20 pages ago, lately i've just been getting stuff from some woman who thinks i'm her teenage son (Fwd: James has detention), but i used to get internal stuff from some company or volunteer group or something, including a followup to an earlier one that had a group contact list in a word doc, correcting it because another person's email address was wrong

also my university student email account used to occasionally receive email from other students that was obviously meant for my dad who was a lecturer there in a different faculty (so i'd actually forward them to him instead of just ignoring them like i do with the gmail ones, lol). our addresses were the same except his was on the main university domain and mine on the student subdomain - an obvious mistake if you're paying attention, but i guess easy enough to make if his (non-STEM :smug:) students were only used to typing their own address on the student domain :downs: (...and which prompted me to be extra careful when i had to email my own lecturers)

hell yeah I loved wasteland 1

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hackbunny posted:

if you fix this and it doesn't break anyone's workflow or product, your product is shite

It won't and it absolutely is. We plan on completely scrapping it and rewriting in pretty soon.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jony ive aces posted:

hell yeah I loved wasteland 1

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

ratbert90 posted:

We plan on completely scrapping it and rewriting in pretty soon.

lol if i had :10bux: every time I heard that

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

jony ive aces posted:

oh goddammit

i've long complained itt both about the site lacking https, and about them still unironically using sourceforge (though apparently the latter may not be an issue any more as they're no longer owned by DICE? though when I first noticed it was, and DICE were using a https cert for the single purpose of redirecting to http, lol). and yet i'm still dumb enough to keep using it

but yeah, finding out that a literal security product is not only avoiding https but doing so for the purpose of serving "ads" (malware) is a pretty big deal
yet another reason to stick with 1.x keepass for life

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
i'm on 2.x but it's an older version with update notifications disabled v:shobon:v

burning swine
May 26, 2004

From Keepass.info:

quote:

There have been some articles about automatic KeePass updates being vulnerable. This section clarifies the situation and its resolution.

First of all, we would like to note that KeePass cannot update itself. KeePass does support checking for updates (optional; by downloading a version information file, comparing the available with the installed version number, and displaying a notification if necessary). However, it neither downloads nor installs any new version automatically. Users have to do this manually.

KeePass can be downloaded from many servers (SourceForge with its many mirror servers, FossHub, etc.). In order to make sure that the downloaded file is official, users should check whether the file is digitally signed (Authenticode; all KeePass binaries are signed, including the installer, KeePass.exe and all other EXE and DLL files). The digital signature can be checked using Windows Explorer by right-clicking the file -> 'Properties' -> tab 'Digital Signatures'. When running the installer, the UAC dialog displays the digital signature information, i.e. users who carefully read the UAC dialog do not have to inspect the file properties separately. This is recommended for all users, independent of where you download KeePass from.

The KeePass website links to SourceForge for downloading KeePass. However, even if SourceForge (or the KeePass website) is compromised and serves a malicious download, users who check the digital signature will notice the attack and will not run the malware. Note that HTTPS cannot prevent a compromise of the download server; checking the digital signature does.

The version information file is downloaded from the KeePass website over HTTP. Thus a man in the middle (someone who can intercept your connection to the KeePass website) could have returned an incorrect version information file, possibly making KeePass display a notification that a new KeePass version is available. However, the next steps (downloading and installing the new version) must be carried out by the user manually, and here users who check the digital signature will notice the attack.

Resolution. In order to prevent a man in the middle from making KeePass display incorrect version information (even though this does not imply a successful attack, see above), the version information file is now digitally signed (using RSA-2048 and SHA-512). KeePass 2.34 and higher only accept such a digitally signed version information file. Furthermore, the version information file is now downloaded over HTTPS.

I'm the oddly disjointed 5 paragraphs of explanation about why this isn't a problem, followed by "OK fine we're using signatures and https now".

The reaction to this has been nothing short of bizarre but apparently the volume of bitching got the problem solved. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

From Keepass.info:

I'm the oddly disjointed 5 paragraphs of explanation about why this isn't a problem, followed by "OK fine we're using signatures and https now".

The reaction to this has been nothing short of bizarre but apparently the volume of bitching got the problem solved. :woop:

:woop:

• Locked thread