Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He regrets a lot of things about it, namely that it's too thematically similar to Watchmen and that DC just kept trying to redo it for 30 years. I think his main regret towards Barbara is that they made it in continuity and had Barbara become a crippled victim for decades after the fact, which is not great for one of DC's 3 recognizable female heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think Moore regrets Killing Joke so much as he regrets the fact that Killing Joke became an in-continuity story that people used to set the tone which was never its intent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jude Law revealed on a talk show the other day that Singer tried to get him for Superman in Superman Returns, but Law thought he looked stupid in the costume.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think Moore regrets Killing Joke so much as he regrets the fact that Killing Joke became an in-continuity story that people used to set the tone which was never its intent.

I went off Moore when I realised he's incapable of writing a comic that doesn't involve rape at some point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I went off Moore when I realised he's incapable of writing a comic that doesn't involve rape at some point.

Alan Moore has written a lot of comics that don't involve rape so...

Edit: Like at bare minimum the dude wrote Superman, Green Lantern, and various other characters with no rape whatosever. The dude has weird things in some of his stories but it's pretty disrespectful to try to qualify him as The Rape Guy and seems to be a result of people being mad at Alan Moore for other things more than anything.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 9, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Besides, everyone knows The Rape Guy is Garth Ennis.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Or Millar

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Rape Guy is the second-worst superhero.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Highly recommend reading Top 10.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

Highly recommend reading Top 10.

Think a bit harder about what happens in the first volume

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I might need to re-read those. I remember the stuff with the corrupt cops and the traffic disaster

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Think a bit harder about what happens in the first volume

You mean the second volume, but then that's more about authority figures abusing their power and what they're doing is shown to be super, mega, ultra wrong to the point where they manipulate their leader into killing himself because they know he'll never be able to get a proper trial due to this money and influence

Or are you talking about the Goose?

But yea, when you have a character so popular as the Joker, you need to set limits on how terrible he can be. You cannot have someone you sell tshirts of being a rapist or a racist. Having him kill people is perfectly fine because we as a society have said that violence in fiction is acceptable for characters we like. It's like when the reboot of Nightmare on Elm Street had Freddy be a child killer and rapist, rather than just a killer like in the originals, because Freddy is a massively popular pop icon, but as soon as you make someone a rapist, people go "nope!". I remember people in the horror community being very upset at this because they have Freddy tattoos and shirt and don't want to be walking around with rapist on their arm.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

He regrets a lot of things about it, namely that it's too thematically similar to Watchmen and that DC just kept trying to redo it for 30 years. I think his main regret towards Barbara is that they made it in continuity and had Barbara become a crippled victim for decades after the fact, which is not great for one of DC's 3 recognizable female heroes.

Killing Joke was 1988 and Oracle (the best version of Barbara Gordon and the best hero she's been) debuted in 1989. So, uh.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Killing Joke was 1988 and Oracle (the best version of Barbara Gordon and the best hero she's been) debuted in 1989. So, uh.

How is that different from anything he said.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it's really reductionary at best to label Oracle as a "crippled victim". Unless you mean that literally, as in she's a victim and she's crippled, over figuratively as if she sat around in a wheelchair for issues on end sobbing about KJ.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was not being figurative.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like how on Arrow they made Felicity Oracle for like three episodes until Mr Terrific says "nah, here's a cure for paralysis, I made it just for you" and Felicity is like "Yes please".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

You mean the second volume

Yeah, should've said series.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I think it's really reductionary at best to label Oracle as a "crippled victim". Unless you mean that literally, as in she's a victim and she's crippled, over figuratively as if she sat around in a wheelchair for issues on end sobbing about KJ.

The wrong writer on Barbara would absolutely dwell on KJ in the worst way. Even Gail Simone, who wrote Birds of Prey for years, when Barbara came back as Batgirl in the new 52, seemed to not be able to go an issue without a Hawaiian shirt or a flying coffee mug.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

greatn posted:

I like how on Arrow they made Felicity Oracle for like three episodes until Mr Terrific says "nah, here's a cure for paralysis, I made it just for you" and Felicity is like "Yes please".

In a world with magic and bullshit technology, that's exactly how Oracle should've went down. Felicity is trash though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cyborg and Oracle are two DC characters that require a lot of handwaving to keep their defining personal problem intact.

Batman got paralyzed once too, it lasted a whoooooooole year.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah, should've said series.

I try to ignore the second series. There was just the first and the 49rs.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's established pretty firmly in Batman Beyond that Barbara and Bruce hooked up and that is what drove Dick Grayson away and at least strongly implied they did it while Dick and Barbara were together. (There's a comic that made that last bit canonical but it isn't in the show so you're free to ignore it.) So yeah, that's in the actual show.

:gonk:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Cyborg and Oracle are two DC characters that require a lot of handwaving to keep their defining personal problem intact.

Batman got paralyzed once too, it lasted a whoooooooole year.

Eh, I admit, I really strongly dislike the argument of "There was a magic thing in this one story that solved a problem, ergo we should remove all disabled characters from our universe" or whatever. Yeah, it's unrealistic. So is Peter Parker being broke or whatever. It's better to have representations than for literally every single superhero to be a genius supermodel with perfect health and infinite riches.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but Barbara was actually offered some of them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Killing Joke may have been ambiguous ,but isn't that comic where the guy sort of saves the Joker or whatever featured Joker straight up raping someone. I don't think it's The Man who Laughs though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Brian Azzarello's Joker. I believe that's the whole breadth of Joker rape comics.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Why.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think that was one of the genetic tests that determined Peter was the clone and Ben Reilly the original.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Clone Saga ruined everything, this is just another part

Remember that part of the goal of this whole thing was to have an unmarried Spider-Man. Which gets brought up years later when they decided to do One More Day.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Joker is still considered a villain, right ? A bad guy? THE bad guy most of the time. He murders people constantly. He's a terrorist.

How is adding rape to the list of horrible poo poo Joker does every day as a matter of course detracting from the central tenant of "The Joker is a loving Psychopath Who Must Be Stopped?"

I'm not even saying The Killing Joke involved a rape scene. Been forever since I've read it. But even it did, is that a bridge to far for a guy we're supposed to hate and who commits horrible crimes because HE thinks it's funny to see people suffer?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Read this as Batman saying he'll have to congratulate his own penis and it's 1000% better.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ImpAtom posted:

It's established pretty firmly in Batman Beyond that Barbara and Bruce hooked up and that is what drove Dick Grayson away and at least strongly implied they did it while Dick and Barbara were together. (There's a comic that made that last bit canonical but it isn't in the show so you're free to ignore it.) So yeah, that's in the actual show.

Because of that and Terry being Bruce's sperm jacked son I just prefer to ignore Batman Beyond entirely.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
E: ^^^ That happened in JLU.

BiggerBoat posted:

The Joker is still considered a villain, right ? A bad guy? THE bad guy most of the time. He murders people constantly. He's a terrorist.

How is adding rape to the list of horrible poo poo Joker does every day as a matter of course detracting from the central tenant of "The Joker is a loving Psychopath Who Must Be Stopped?"

I'm not even saying The Killing Joke involved a rape scene. Been forever since I've read it. But even it did, is that a bridge to far for a guy we're supposed to hate and who commits horrible crimes because HE thinks it's funny to see people suffer?

Some of us remember a time when the Joker wasn't a slasher movie villain. We miss those days.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

JT Smiley posted:

Because of that and Terry being Bruce's sperm jacked son I just prefer to ignore Batman Beyond entirely.

That part was actually in JLU though

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This association of Killing Joke with Slasher Joker is weird, because the comic is explicitly about how Joker is a sad, pathetic man desperately trying to prove that there's some meaning to his suffering.

It's the most sympathetic he'll ever be except for that one scene from Grant Morrison's Justice League where he briefly turns sane (I think it even made a visual reference to KJ).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 10, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The main criticism is that a lot of authors use rape/sexual assault in their work for shock value. Which sadly is true in some cases.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Rape is not something you should use as shorthand for bad guy the way we use murder. We still have serious social problems about sexual assault and its perception and using it for a cartoonish villain pretty much trivializes the experience of real victims. I can't believe someone has to explain something this basic to you.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

If it helps I heard they were putting extra scenes with Barbera in the movie to address her role in the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

We're not supposed to hate the Joker to the extent that we stop buying his comics. That's where the line is.

• Locked thread