Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Evil Fluffy posted:

Use crystals on a 3rd age LI? Even on a 2nd age that's a waste.

I would never use anything other than a first age for even my horse, but this thread is for filthy casuals so I didn't want to be rude or controlling of their decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

extra stout posted:

I would never use anything other than a first age for even my horse, but this thread is for filthy casuals so I didn't want to be rude or controlling of their decisions

Who are you calling filthy???

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I haven't been active in-game for a while due to my gaming time being used up by The Division and Overwatch, but I've been watching various LOTRO sites and Reddit to keep up with what's going on. Sounds like they're opening up server transfers again in June? People are talking about bailing from Gladden because its population is lagging quite a bit behind the other 4 servers. Landroval is 4th out of 5 in population now. I wonder if they're going to do more merges down the road if Gladden is already turning into a ghost town.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

I haven't been active in-game for a while due to my gaming time being used up by The Division and Overwatch, but I've been watching various LOTRO sites and Reddit to keep up with what's going on. Sounds like they're opening up server transfers again in June? People are talking about bailing from Gladden because its population is lagging quite a bit behind the other 4 servers. Landroval is 4th out of 5 in population now. I wonder if they're going to do more merges down the road if Gladden is already turning into a ghost town.

This seems like people not being rational, even if a server lost half it's population it'd have double what it had in December, if Landroval is really 4th and I still find a group to do the dailies within three minutes of logging in (every day for weeks now) then 4th is a very good amount of people to have.

Also this is a great week for coupons as UNISOLV will get you an item that usually costs 25-40 gold and is used for crafting tier 8 essence.

http://www.lotro.com/en/lotrostoresale

Other poo poo like BoTV is on sale too, but a slightly worse sale than last time.

edit

If you don't do the Bingo Boffin quests here is another day you must feel regret

Yes it makes the clinking sound when you walk
And yes I run low settings

extra stout fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 3, 2016

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
What makes clinking sounds? The rug?

I hope it fuckin rains tomorrow so I can catch up with Bingo instead of dying in my rl garden.

vvvvv Hahahaha, missed that. Gotta catch up and get my Scrooge McDuck floor!

alucinor fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 4, 2016

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The floor underneath the rugs looks like gold coins, so that, probably?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
gently caress my ISP, I can't stay connected worth poo poo.

Thanks to extra stout for trying to get me into the featured instance. I got locked out of the boss battle but could see the fight in the distance, it was pretty cool.

lovely weather in Far Anorian

Also finally achieved my dream of standing on top of a pukel man

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
Can you get a pukel man for your house? i haven't played for a bit but I'd do a good days work for a nice pukel man statue.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Panorama posted:

Can you get a pukel man for your house? i haven't played for a bit but I'd do a good days work for a nice pukel man statue.

Not that I've seen, though that would be really cool if they added that as a statue. The lore behind the pukel men is rather interesting.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

alucinor posted:

gently caress my ISP, I can't stay connected worth poo poo.

Thanks to extra stout for trying to get me into the featured instance. I got locked out of the boss battle but could see the fight in the distance, it was pretty cool.

lovely weather in Far Anorian

Also finally achieved my dream of standing on top of a pukel man

Thanks for posting screenshots, also it should be noted the featured instances are easy enough to do with 5 (or even 4 good players), so she still got loads of EXP and a lootbox and this is a good way to powerlevel yourself or your friends.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Yeah I ran it again today and even though I was lagging out half the time, it rolled me to 105. Cant believe how much XP it gives.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I think it's amusing how Turbine intended to have Festival Tokens be a single currency for all festivals, but that never happened and I just noticed they stealthily renamed them Yule Festival Tokens. I have basically next to no Spring Leaves but literally thousands of Yule Festival tokens. It would be nice to have the option to trade them in, even if it's at a 2/1 or 3/1 rate.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

ruffz posted:

I think it's amusing how Turbine intended to have Festival Tokens be a single currency for all festivals, but that never happened and I just noticed they stealthily renamed them Yule Festival Tokens. I have basically next to no Spring Leaves but literally thousands of Yule Festival tokens. It would be nice to have the option to trade them in, even if it's at a 2/1 or 3/1 rate.

Token Exchange barter. At the Party Tree - you can barter it for a Box of Festival Tokens. Exchange rate is variable.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

moebius2778 posted:

Token Exchange barter. At the Party Tree - you can barter it for a Box of Festival Tokens. Exchange rate is variable.

Oh dang, didn't know that existed. Almost a 5/1 exchange rate for Yule to Spring, kinda silly. Then again I have probably 2,000 Yule tokens spread amongst 4 characters. I have barely any Spring or Summer tokens because I'm too busy trying to enjoy nice weather here during those times.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So I took my character out of the kin last night and joined another one.

My apologies, however there’s rarely anyone on in the kin and if there is it’s been very quick, “log on/log off.” I was looking for a much more active kinship and found one.

I owe you guys…3 Black Dyes and a GA run.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i just started playing again since like....2011? is there any way to consolidate all the cosmetic or house things between characters easily or does it all automatically get added to some collection or something or is it all split individually and I have to keep track of everything separately?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

MotU posted:

i just started playing again since like....2011? is there any way to consolidate all the cosmetic or house things between characters easily or does it all automatically get added to some collection or something or is it all split individually and I have to keep track of everything separately?

I'm pretty sure they recently fixed this to be a significantly smaller pain in the rear end. Some cosmetic and house items used to be bound to character, now I think they're all bound to account. There's a shared wardrobe and shared storage, which is the easiest way to consolidate everything into one spot. To get a good amount of wardrobe and storage slots requires store purchases though. They have sales every now and then on that stuff.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

CobiWann posted:

So I took my character out of the kin last night and joined another one.

My apologies, however there’s rarely anyone on in the kin and if there is it’s been very quick, “log on/log off.” I was looking for a much more active kinship and found one.

I owe you guys…3 Black Dyes and a GA run.

Talked to you in game, and sorry to hear this. Kept you on friends list of course, expect more groups and free stuff still.

Hobo are you planning on returning to the game again actively soon? If not, is the challenge thing still your only offer? Lost a few more goons this week from the kin.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Finished the slog through West Rohan. Western Gondor is much, much better.

Can I get some Recommendations for how best to use my TP in Gondor? Should I wait and save up more for Far Anorien, or should I splurge earlier in Central or Eastern Gondor?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Cnidario posted:

Can I get some Recommendations for how best to use my TP in Gondor? Should I wait and save up more for Far Anorien, or should I splurge earlier in Central or Eastern Gondor?

Congrats on making it to Gondor. It really is much more enjoyable once you come out the other side of the Paths of the Dead. What you should save for depends on the kind of player you are. If you're mostly a solo player, I think you'd do best by getting Central and Eastern Gondor. Far Anorien is 1995 TP because of the raid. If you're not planning on running it, it's kinda silly to purchase that in my opinion.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cnidario posted:

Central Gondor was really good. That's Pelargir right? Eastern Gondor is neat too, but it starts to get a bit dreary especially once you hit Osgiliath. It is a neat area since it feels super dangerous to be in, but it can be just annoying to move around considering how dense the mobs can be. While Minas Tirith was visually and in-lore pretty spectacular, the actual content wasn't as fun. Sewer levels? Come on! and you run around this sort of massive city, while pretty, it can get tiresome sort of fast.

If you're counting your coin I'd go with Central Gondor and then Eastern. I haven't done Far Anorien yet though so I can't judge on that.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I've played Lotro on and off many times since launch, but I've never been able to stick with it.

My wife and I are expecting a baby next Friday, and I have a few weeks off of work, so I'm planning on jumping back into Lotro and hitting max level (after all these years).

What would be the best/easiest class if I plan to solo pretty much start to finish? Race is inconsequential.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Both Wardens & Rune Keepers are massively overpowered atm. Minstrels, Captains, Beornings & Champions are really solid. Guardians & Hunters(my 2 favorite classes) and also Burglars are supposedly in the worst shape right now. Lore Masters are good.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bear is driving! posted:

I've played Lotro on and off many times since launch, but I've never been able to stick with it.

My wife and I are expecting a baby next Friday, and I have a few weeks off of work, so I'm planning on jumping back into Lotro and hitting max level (after all these years).

What would be the best/easiest class if I plan to solo pretty much start to finish? Race is inconsequential.

Congratulations! Please name your baby after me, I am the creator of the thread and the top tier goon still playing LoTRO, if you need to see my legendaries before you name the baby I will gladly prove this, the absolute and undeniably best answer to your question is Beorning, but you have to pay like 10 bucks to unlock it if it's not on sale. The game is however easy enough to do with other classes, but you did say best and easiest.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Warden's the best to play.

Name your baby Glorfindel.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Gondor's got a huge swan fetish, huh?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Race is actually not inconsequential, be a hobbit.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

This. Hobbits are the master race and have the best starting zone by far.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Just don't roll a human. You already are one IRL and Men have the crapiest starting area.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

extra stout posted:

Congratulations! Please name your baby after me, I am the creator of the thread and the top tier goon still playing LoTRO, if you need to see my legendaries before you name the baby I will gladly prove this, the absolute and undeniably best answer to your question is Beorning, but you have to pay like 10 bucks to unlock it if it's not on sale. The game is however easy enough to do with other classes, but you did say best and easiest.

You got it, my daughter shall henceforth be known as "Extra Stout".

I actually paid for Beorning when it first came out, I just didn't like the fact that you had to juggle bear form in fights (I was hoping I could just be a bear all the time). Maybe I'll take another crack at it. I've tried to play a Warden a few times, but I feel like it was just too many buttons and having to constantly look at a chart for combos was tiring.

Rune Keeper and Lore Master both appeal to me, and Dwarves are pretty much the master race. So maybe a Dwarven Rune Keeper.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

bear is driving! posted:

Dwarves are pretty much the master race.

Disgusting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chairchucker posted:

Counterpoint: Hobbits can't be Captains* so don't be a Hobbit.

* which, in a LOTR-following game, makes no sense considering Merry and Pippin's leadership at the end of RotK once they get to the Shire.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bear is driving! posted:

You got it, my daughter shall henceforth be known as "Extra Stout".

I actually paid for Beorning when it first came out, I just didn't like the fact that you had to juggle bear form in fights (I was hoping I could just be a bear all the time). Maybe I'll take another crack at it. I've tried to play a Warden a few times, but I feel like it was just too many buttons and having to constantly look at a chart for combos was tiring.

Rune Keeper and Lore Master both appeal to me, and Dwarves are pretty much the master race. So maybe a Dwarven Rune Keeper.

Honored, you'll get some gold and pipeweed for this if you post your name. A lot of people prefer the bear form but yeah the idea is that you're a shapeshifter who's better at some things in each form, hence switching especially during cooldowns. The joke is you can actually dps while healing in man form, then dps while healing in bear form. Bear form is just tankier and by using both you maximize your ability to abuse your unfairly good abilities with short cooldowns. Everything down to 'rush' which is the Beorning sprint is a shorter cooldown with a better result than what champions or guards or any class gets.

I think blue (tank) stays in bear the longest, but is not the most exciting. Yellow is the heal spec, which oddly enough is the hardest to kill while also self healing and healing entire groups, red is dps but almost everyone plays the mainly yellow and some red hybrid.

I'd say give it some more time for sure, it is an amazing class with probably the same number of buttons as warden but much less to memorize and a funnier, easier result.

RK and LM are both popular classes mostly for their DPS specs right now, though both will die a bit more often than I guessed you wanted to when you mentioned doing a lot of soloing. With the right pet, the right spec, the right gear, any class can grind this game except for the end game content.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm leveling up my RK currently and she's plenty strong but such a glass cannon. You have to keep your eye on your health cause it drops like a stone. LM was pretty good I found. I got mine up to 86 or something but I relied way too much on the pet, which turned the game into easy mode and I never really learned how to play it well so now I am the worst LM.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Also I should mention the Spring Festival (yes Spring) ends on the 21st, the current code for a free item in the store is ONEKEY, and the current sale is 30 percent off the monster classes/most the monster stuff.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Ohhhhh my god I just started through the Pellenor fields epic instances.

It's mostly cut scences but I don't even care, they look amazing and OMG I'M IN THE BATTLE.

Nerdgasm:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You're not a warrior about a war photo-journalist. Those are some great shots.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

alucinor posted:

Ohhhhh my god I just started through the Pellenor fields epic instances.

It's mostly cut scences but I don't even care, they look amazing and OMG I'M IN THE BATTLE.

Nerdgasm:

Do it again on high res or at least press N to turn names off or you'll be demoted

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Saturday was really fun. With a little (a lot) of help from a very well-equipped champion, 4 of us manage to blast through Tarlang's Crown before succumbing. Turns out I still need 4 of their missions for that deed :negative: but that was a lot of fun.

4 others of us then gave the a low level run of the Rift ago, but we weren't quite enough. Though it was cool to see such an area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Saturday was really fun. With a little (a lot) of help from a very well-equipped champion, 4 of us manage to blast through Tarlang's Crown before succumbing. Turns out I still need 4 of their missions for that deed :negative: but that was a lot of fun.

4 others of us then gave the a low level run of the Rift ago, but we weren't quite enough. Though it was cool to see such an area.

I think my champ is still logged there so let me know when you need help, going to be playing my bear mostly soon so I don't mind doing old content on the champ

I'll do a rift run, it's the best way to loot 50ish level BOEs of high quality, also some of them have cosmetics/designs never used again since

extra stout fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 14, 2016