Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I will only support hive's return if after one day it is removed without warning, just to put hive-wanters in their place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
With the new bee priests, we need Hive as an alternative to Orc.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Arivia posted:

FR: Replace Beogh with Beeogh: anybody can worship and be Messiah of bees.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Arivia posted:

the ancient halls of the elves, hidden below an impenetrable mass of bees

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
How does removing floors affect trunk games in process? I have a character who hasn't reached Lair yet, is it gonna be 6 floors or 8? Would it crash if I was on Lair 8 when I updated?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Dee Ehm posted:

How does removing floors affect trunk games in process? I have a character who hasn't reached Lair yet, is it gonna be 6 floors or 8? Would it crash if I was on Lair 8 when I updated?

It will be 8, the dungeon structure is determined at game start and won't change. Sometimes you get the entrances placing without their vaults ( I remember that with crypt/Tomb) but it should all stay functional.

e: you might get the new difficulty monsters, though - and not sure what will happen on lairs 7/8 if so.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 9, 2016

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
code:
  Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19-a0-585-ge40200b (webtiles) character file.

TopsideChimera the Unseen (Vine Stalker Assassin)  Turns: 31623, Time: 02:12:32

Health: 98/98      AC: 25    Str: 16    XL:     18   Next: 49%
Magic:  38/38      EV: 20    Int: 11    God:    Uskayaw [*.....]
Gold:   1441       SH:  6    Dex: 24    Spells: 0 memorised, 17 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis .    X - +5 short sword (elec)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    Q - +3 ring mail {rF+}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    +    v - +0 buckler
rPois  +          Spirit   +    R - +2 helmet {rF+}
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    d - +1 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    K - +1 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    o - +2 pair of boots
MR     +++++                    l - amulet "Ymour" {Faith *Corrode rPois MR+++ MP+9}
Stlth  +++++++...               Z - ring of stealth
                                n - ring of protection from cold

@: almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: fangs 3, rough black scales 1, regeneration 3, magic shield, antimagic bite,
no device heal 3, rot immunity
a: Stomp, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility 
So far Uskayaw stabber is going pretty well. A question though, what is better, an elec short sword or a rapier of speed, given the Vs bite?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

DO IT

also please remind me to never edit learndb again, I just got into some stupid slapfight because an idiot couldn't comprehend that constriction deals damage (he thought engulf was just silence you could move out of)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ThermosAquaticus posted:

code:
  Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19-a0-585-ge40200b (webtiles) character file.

TopsideChimera the Unseen (Vine Stalker Assassin)  Turns: 31623, Time: 02:12:32

Health: 98/98      AC: 25    Str: 16    XL:     18   Next: 49%
Magic:  38/38      EV: 20    Int: 11    God:    Uskayaw [*.....]
Gold:   1441       SH:  6    Dex: 24    Spells: 0 memorised, 17 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis .    X - +5 short sword (elec)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    Q - +3 ring mail {rF+}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    +    v - +0 buckler
rPois  +          Spirit   +    R - +2 helmet {rF+}
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    d - +1 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    K - +1 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    o - +2 pair of boots
MR     +++++                    l - amulet "Ymour" {Faith *Corrode rPois MR+++ MP+9}
Stlth  +++++++...               Z - ring of stealth
                                n - ring of protection from cold

@: almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: fangs 3, rough black scales 1, regeneration 3, magic shield, antimagic bite,
no device heal 3, rot immunity
a: Stomp, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility 
So far Uskayaw stabber is going pretty well. A question though, what is better, an elec short sword or a rapier of speed, given the Vs bite?
Probably still the elec short sword.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Elec now, speed lategame (but get a quickblade).

I tried Usk on a VsEn and it wasn't nearly as good there, I guess the god doesn't appreciate running around a bit to get mana back for your sleep spell...

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Good change on Lair.
Orc still feels a bit short, but maybe I'm the only one who likes hold tab to make Orcs disappear.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
In ten years, Dungeon Crawl SS will just be one floor with 46 possible generated themed second floors that hold the orb of zot.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

In ten years, Dungeon Crawl SS will just be one floor with 46 possible generated themed second floors that hold the orb of zot.

the canonical ultimate form of dcss is <@rX0

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

DO IT

also please remind me to never edit learndb again, I just got into some stupid slapfight because an idiot couldn't comprehend that constriction deals damage (he thought engulf was just silence you could move out of)

actually, please keep editing learndb.

(did you know that moving away from engulf takes longer than a normal move?)

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
So i just drank a potion of beneficial mutation, it said I felt fantastic for a moment, and nothing else happened.

What's going on here? I've got no mutations whatsoever, and obviously no source of mutation resistance. I thought it always gave one mutation if it could. Why have I been denied the opportunity to have a pair of antennae knock off my artifact hat of awesome?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Benemut can fail to do anything just like any other form of purple can.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

Makes as much sense as Elf being beneath Orc

e: or the greek isles, lit by the sun, being beneath a cave that plants can grow in, which is itself beneath an underground construct.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't be silly, the dungeon is all lit by magic. If any of it was lit by the sun then vampires wouldn't be playable!

EDIT: Can Lugonu brand a ranged weapon with distortion?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 10, 2016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
All the branch entrances are magical stable portals, duh. Some of them are collapsing which is why ya' got the timed ones. Also no one ever visits wherever the hell the portals take you to.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Internet Kraken posted:

Nope.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't be silly, the dungeon is all lit by magic. If any of it was lit by the sun then vampires wouldn't be playable!

Only TSO gets to break the rules for that.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

resistentialism posted:

Only TSO gets to break the rules for that.

But no longer can that holy triple crossbow fire bolts of penetration to kill seven demons at once in Hell.

RIP in peace, Holy Wave Gun. Never forget.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Probably for the best given I already have a lajatang of distortion and not having a reliable backup weapon is bad when you don't want something to teleport away.

But man I would kill for a triple crossbow on this guy;

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/InternetKraken.txt

Things would die so much easier with one. I could probably get one in Pan off a demonspawn but I don't have a rMut amulet either :smith:

EDIT: Yessssss thread bitching worked :getin:

quote:

the +11 triple crossbow of the Beast {speed, Str+4}

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 10, 2016

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
drat, that's beastly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Yessssss thread bitching worked :getin:
I'm pretty sure that's an actual machine gun at that point.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Good change on Lair.
Orc still feels a bit short, but maybe I'm the only one who likes hold tab to make Orcs disappear.

What I miss about the lower number of orc floors is it feels like less gold, though maybe it isn't? I dunno.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

honestly, lair was probably the last remaining branch that felt like it had way too much filler. 8 floors is a lot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Why do all the hell branches have like 7 floors then? That seems even more pointless.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Good change on Lair.

I like that too :smith: I'm kind of sad kill all the orcs branch is mostly dead.

PleasingFungus posted:

As someone who only plays tiles, help me decipher that: up stairs, player, a rune?, no idea??, the orb?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Arivia posted:

Why do all the hell branches have like 7 floors then? That seems even more pointless.

Hell has 7 floors because they're all empty and never have loot on the ground except for the last one; they're each a gauntlet of trying to get to the last floor through hell effects and having to start over completely if you feel like you need to go take a breather.

Hell is pretty all right as it is imo

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Hell is a boring slog, which fits perfectly with the rest of extended being a boring slog.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Arivia posted:

eh, true. i'm not a fan of hell in general. it could be streamlined quite a bit more.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Hell has 7 floors because they're all empty and never have loot on the ground except for the last one; they're each a gauntlet of trying to get to the last floor through hell effects and having to start over completely if you feel like you need to go take a breather.

That sure sounds like hell. :rimshot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It will just be named Dungeon Crawl. The two levels will be Stone:1 and Soup:1 and no one will remember why.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I autoexplore every nook of every floor of hell.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

As someone who only plays tiles, help me decipher that: up stairs, player, a rune?, no idea??, the orb?

rat and orb guardian are the ones you missed

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Just started a Spriggan Enchanter. First dungeon floor I find ring of wizardry, ring of magical power, amulet of regeneration and 4 curare needles.

I'm gonna die

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Johnny Joestar posted:

eh, true. i'm not a fan of hell in general. it could be streamlined quite a bit more.

There is actually a fairly recent plan posted on the dev wiki which IMO sounds great and I hope it comes to fruition, it includes cutting the number of runes to 11 along with having only one of Hell or Pan available during a single game and adding a new holy-themed branch called Purgatory with a new rune to keep the number of runes equal.

e: links

https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:dungeon:hell-pan_roulette
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:dungeon:branch:propose:purgatory

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 10, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well, finally got this done. A good send off for 0.17, given I got that absurd triple crossbow and twoshot orbs of fire with silver bolts with it. Not gonna get to do that again.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20160610-053414.txt

Really though, I'm not sure if I'm gonna do extend again. I mean I feel like I want too with my characters but its just not really fun anymore. Its way too much of a slog, and the changes made in 0.18 have only made that worse with the exception of the abyss. Hell and Pan just feel so mentally draining with how repetitive they get. I really wish someone would go and improve them so extended is fun for me again.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Hell is pretty all right as it is imo

I completely disagree. Its the most boring trash imaginable. The problem is of those 7 floors, only the last one is ever fun. The first 6 are just boring scavenger hunts for the downstairs. They only become difficult when the RNG feels malevolent and drops a ton of strong monsters on top of you. Or decides to be cheeky and petrify you in front of hellions. Or gives you red glow because gently caress you. I'm not a fan of hell RNG.

The last floors of each branch can actually be enjoyable but getting to them is such a loving slog sometimes because you have to cut through wave after wave of endless chaff.

lordfrikk posted:

There is actually a fairly recent plan posted on the dev wiki which IMO sounds great and I hope it comes to fruition, it includes cutting the number of runes to 11 along with having only one of Hell or Pan available during a single game and adding a new holy-themed branch called Purgatory with a new rune to keep the number of runes equal.

Yeah that sounds terrible. How about instead of cutting more branches they make them fun to play instead? I like parts of Pan and Hell, there's just too much bullshit you have to go through to get to the enjoyable parts. The solution is obvious; get rid of the time waste, focus on the actual difficult portions. Make it less about wading through a bunch of lovely enemies across a ton of floors and more about tough fights on smaller floors.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randomise Abyss portals so that you don't know if it's exist, ascent, or descent.

• Locked thread