Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rally posted:

tree boss is optional

Not worth living without killing it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Two-handing your weapon is not always a good idea. You get slightly better damage per swing but at the cost of noticeably more stamina.

Generally you want to play with the movement for 1h and 2h and see what works out, there's advantages to both for most weapons but the damage isn't often the primary consideration there.

Shielding is worse in DS3 than ever, and rolling is way better, so playing a fast dodge kinda dude is totally viable. Parrying is loads more difficult though than in Bloodborne.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For the tree you'll want a weapon that has a high/long move so you can reach the vulnerable spots, which are those jiggly white poffs. There's lumps on his groin, hand, ankle and back. I think the back one is invulnerable in stage 1 though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Grump posted:

Just started playing this game this week.

gently caress tree boss. Seriously.

Stab him in the dick

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont get grabbed by the dick

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I beat him. I just think he was really gimmicky and dumb.

SynthOrange posted:

Not worth living without killing it though.

I agree

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 10, 2016

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
man since the update dropped on ps4 the demon ruins have been DS1 blighttown level laggy, this is rough.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Million Ghosts posted:

man since the update dropped on ps4 the demon ruins have been DS1 blighttown level laggy, this is rough.

It's not an authentic Dark Souls game unless there's at least one zone that runs at 15 fps.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Archdragon Peak runs really badly for me already

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Million Ghosts posted:

Holy poo poo is that why it suddenly went laggy after I started playing this evening. For fucks sake, Fromsoft, it's doing this everywhere.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Yeah I'm on PS4 and getting absolutely garbage FPS in most areas. FROM giveth and FROM taketh away.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I hope they roll this poo poo back. Love the blighttown era FPS i'm getting now.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
it does add a fun angle to rolls when it jumps between 12 and 25 fps tho

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Tree boss can be kinda lovely unless you've invested a little bit in HP. Going to 15 rather than 10 can make a huge difference in that fight, since his attacks do a lot and the hitboxes can be a bit unpredictable. Also you can more or less dodge and ignore the hollows, since the bosses swipes will kill them by the score.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What kind of buff did claws and fist weapons get in the patch? I'd love to do a claws run since you can get them early doing the Dancer glitch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uhm didnt they also fix the dancer glitch?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AttackBacon posted:

Yeah I'm on PS4 and getting absolutely garbage FPS in most areas. FROM giveth and FROM taketh away.

Yep, it's slowing down like crazy on PS4 for me in every area. Even in the goddamn Firelink it was ridiculous and I tried unequipping my Nameless King helm and it seemed to slightly help. I don't know how a patch could gently caress up the whole game this badly.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SynthOrange posted:

Uhm didnt they also fix the dancer glitch?

Oh. Welp.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Filthy Hans posted:

Yep, it's slowing down like crazy on PS4 for me in every area. Even in the goddamn Firelink it was ridiculous and I tried unequipping my Nameless King helm and it seemed to slightly help. I don't know how a patch could gently caress up the whole game this badly.
It happend with the last big patch too lmao

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
lorien's voice acting is sooo baaaaaaaad

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't use a shield and just dodge. I never use shields in Dark Souls games because I hate them. They make some encounters easier, but now more than ever they are not a necessity.

Yeah, I am probably going to see that works out.

Sakurazuka posted:

Make sure your encumbrance is below 70% so you get the good roll, if you're not using a shield two hand your weapon for more damage. Make sure that eventually you have some sort of ranged option even if it's just for pulling enemies away from each other.

I like the knight dudes appearance, but I think someone less encumbered would be better fit.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm having a problem with my game. Whenever I start it up, it tells me that an update is available and I can't play online until I install it. But there's no update available on Steam. I've tried to restart Steam and verify my game cache, but neither of those worked.

Any ideas? I know reinstalling is a likely fix but I'd like to keep that as a last resort.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

RyokoTK posted:

Shielding is worse in DS3 than ever, and rolling is way better, so playing a fast dodge kinda dude is totally viable. Parrying is loads more difficult though than in Bloodborne.

Greatshields are significantly better than in DS2 though, probably on par with DS1 although they require more stat investment. Also when you block Nameless King you do a ninja flip so that's kinda cool. I don't know if small parry shields for parrying and blocking lovely little rat/dog/thrall attacks counts as 'shielding' but they're a pretty solid choice for pve too.

e: Not disagreeing that very aggressive and dodging is a great way to play the game though. I still think it's the easiest way to play all three souls games any time after your first run.

Viridiant posted:

I'm having a problem with my game. Whenever I start it up, it tells me that an update is available and I can't play online until I install it. But there's no update available on Steam. I've tried to restart Steam and verify my game cache, but neither of those worked.

Any ideas? I know reinstalling is a likely fix but I'd like to keep that as a last resort.

Got another hour to go on the quoted maintenance times, I'd wait that out before doing anything.

hampig fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 10, 2016

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So what's the best way to do this Dancer glitch? I'd like to get a few characters done before I patch.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I played DS2 with no shield but the bloodborne engine has made enemies much more varied and more unpredictable. It's a Git Gud issue but I just can't live without a blocking shield because mobs like Lothric Knights throw shield bashes behind them faster than I can recover and attack after a roll :sigh:

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Viridiant posted:

Update just hit steam, so yeah then just wait out the maintenance time.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Relin posted:

lorien's voice acting is sooo baaaaaaaad

I mean the guy can only moan, what do you want?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

I mean the guy can only moan, what do you want?

Singing Lorien :colbert:

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Is it just me or is NG+ really easy? Only Dancer and NK gave me any trouble.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Is it just me or is NG+ really easy? Only Dancer and NK gave me any trouble.
NG+ absolutely is easymode in DS3. I did NG++ for the Rings and while some spots were as hard as the first time around (the way up the Catacomb's roof foor example), because NOW enemies hit hard enough to three-hit me again and I didn't level anymore, bosses still were no problem, as I could have a fully developed and "perfectly" statted build with +10 weapons, as well as experience of all traps, of course. Especially the latter part is just not true for DS2 NG+ and beyond, which is a big part of the experience.

I did have a bit more trouble in NG++ with a Miracle build, even starting out with all miracles and poo poo upgraded, because now enemies started to have juuuust enough health to survive even a Sunlight Spear (sometimes even point-blank), and that's a bit of a problem. For NG+, it would have oneshot everything up until the end of the game for sure, and that's a huge boon.

Bleed build aka %health damage? lol

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Am I missing something or can you execute some weapon L2 combos even without FP? For example, the Glaive/Halberd spin move works without any FP.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Smol posted:

Am I missing something or can you execute some weapon L2 combos even without FP? For example, the Glaive/Halberd spin move works without any FP.

Yeah but their strength, speed and recovery time out of it are quite affected.
Notice you dont get the white trail effect on a no FP offensive weapon art.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

MZ posted:

So what's the best way to do this Dancer glitch? I'd like to get a few characters done before I patch.

You kill the swordmaster next to firelink by shooting 300 arrows/firebombs in his face or w/e. Go to Vordt and summon swordguy. Have him murder the knights with you and go to dancer.
Have the dancer smash him to bits and immediately exit game to menu. Load game, summon Sword who now has a tiny hitbox and go back to dancer.

Climb into Lothric Castle and run in to get another 10k souls from the corpse behind the knight.

Rip if they fix this bug today

SgtArseCandle
Sep 28, 2009

Smol posted:

You can usually (always?) execute them, but usually they cause less damage and become parryable.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Humans Among Us posted:

You kill the swordmaster next to firelink by shooting 300 arrows/firebombs in his face or w/e. Go to Vordt and summon swordguy. Have him murder the knights with you and go to dancer.
Have the dancer smash him to bits and immediately exit game to menu. Load game, summon Sword who now has a tiny hitbox and go back to dancer.

Climb into Lothric Castle and run in to get another 10k souls from the corpse behind the knight.

Rip if they fix this bug today

Yeah bummed that it's apparently getting patched out today. (has anyone confirmed?)

Some other things to know:

- Vordt must still be alive in your world, but you CAN assist others with him
- to initiate the Dancer fight, you must murder the lady who gives you the Lothric Banner and the Blue Sentinels covenant item - you don't miss out on any other dialogue/content from doing this, assuming you exhaust it while she's giving you those items. She will drop the Basin of Vows, and when you walk towards the altar behind her, the Dancer fight will start.
- Dodge well. Chances are that Dancer will one-shot a low level character. Watch carefully to know when you can quit. She can usually kill Sword Master in two hits. If she's slow sometimes he will heal in between tho.

You can actually have the quit menu open but the button will be disabled until Sword Master dies. Use it as soon as it becomes available.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So are those Rosaria's guts or is she cradling a grub man cocoon?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Maybe I'm imagining it but it feels like the scythe's sour spot has been removed.

Edit: Actually I don't think it was removed, but the penalty's a lot lighter than it used to be. Hitting with the shaft seemed to do about 80% of normal damage.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 10, 2016

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

So are those Rosaria's guts or is she cradling a grub man cocoon?

She cradling a grub. She's actually a normal looking, giant lady.

People think the grub is one of the three archdeacons, Klimt, because it's said he attended to Rosaria herself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you use a password, can you summon a friend across high SL/weapon upgrade ranges using a red sign just like you can with a white sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Friendo and I are on Nameless King. I know, optional. But we wanna kill the man. Seems very much a "git gud til you make it" sort of fight. I'm a squishy pyromancer with a Moonlight Greatword though. Any hot tips? Particularly about avoiding that lightning strike. Nailing the dodge on that is tough to learn when it one-shots you. :( And that's with resistances. I guess I just need to pump more vigor?