Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Thing is lvling to max lvl now takes basically no time and there is tons of areas you would almost never see now unless you went looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Thing is lvling to max lvl now takes basically no time and there is tons of areas you would almost never see now unless you went looking.

It's biting social commentary of what the passage of time eventually will do to everything but the apex of popular contemporary culture.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So aside from the literal Thrall Moses thing that I still honestly can't believe they did, I thought it was fine. It works well enough being a fan of WoW. It was cool seeing all these places and characters in movie form. I feel like the lore things they changed didn't hurt the movie but also didn't really seem necessary so that's kind of whatever. I feel like they didn't do a great job with Medivh and could probably have stood to explain that whole thing more.

I could honestly watch an entire movie of just Gul'dan, he was easily the best part. I liked how he was animated, how he sounded, really any part with him was great. I also never realized the the bones coming out of him were actually attached to his body. I thought that was just part of his outfit all this time.

If you're not a fan of WoW/Warcraft I don't have any clue what on earth you would even get out of this movie, so the rotten tomatoes scores aren't too surprising

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Macaluso posted:

So aside from the literal Thrall Moses thing that I still honestly can't believe they did

Blizzard has been saving that from the failed cancelled adventure game, FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT!

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I saw this today - the only problem I could say I had with the film was that the beginning had too many places. Like I get cutting from orc to human but they start with a dude somewhere going to the barracks and then to the forest and then the magic tower... that could have been condensed surely.

I really liked this movie. The characters were blunt and broad but it worked for me.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Immortan posted:

Is green Paula Patton hot enough for the $10?

Paula Patton is worth all the money in the world IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYT9qqyGaaw

A review by What the Flick?! in which the head dude of Rotten Tomatoes compares Warcraft to Princess Mononoke and almost gives his co-hosts heart attacks.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Vanderdeath posted:

A review by What the Flick?! in which the head dude of Rotten Tomatoes compares Warcraft to Princess Mononoke and almost gives his co-hosts heart attacks.

I don't mind the dude making that comparison. He's not saying it's as good as a Miyazaki film.

It's the goddamn insufferable other dude that I mind. He seems like the kind of guy who says, "what do you mean, there *are* no Star Wars prequels wink wink!!!" His displeasure at this movie makes me think I might actually really like it.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Just got home from this.

As a big time WoW fan, I enjoyed it. But obviously I have at least some bias there.

A little disappointed in some of the lore changes; was really hoping to see the battle for Stormwind, but they just removed that entirely; leaving out virtually ALL of Draenor was sad, too. Was pleasantly surprised to see draenei, though!

Definitely agree the first 15-20 minutes of the movie were really strangely paced. There was so much jumping around that I was having trouble keeping up with how rapid fire everything was and how fast they were trying to establish the story. It's weird; the first 30 minutes and the rest of the movie almost felt like a different director, they felt so different.

Regardless, it was fun. I would recommend it. I took someone with me to see it who has never played any Warcraft game, and they said the same, so it's not entirely because I'm a WoW fan.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 10, 2016

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
The action sequences were fun, but any time they tried to do some character building with a character that was even partially human, it was pretty bad.

Even worse was the first 20 minutes or so when they actually got to the Alliance characters (after a pretty solid orcs invading Azeroth opening) and rapid fire introduced like 5 major characters and didn't even remotely explain who any of them were. I went with a group of 5, and one guy had never played WoW, and barely knew any of the character's names by the end of the movie.

I liked the movie, but I really wonder what all was cut.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Echoing a bunch of previous posts, I went in with really low expectations and came out enjoying things a lot more than I expected. As I said somewhere upthread, I had this pegged for a "the peaceful dudes are ignored and the warlike idiots cause the plot", and I'm pleased they did things a bit different.

I lost a lot of potential "Oh, that's THAT area!" fun because most of my playtime in WoW comes from Kalimdor stuff, so I didn't really identify places as much as I otherwise would've. I did have a "Why is Medhiv's Tower so happy and grassy? (an hour later) oh, there's the lovely zone I remember near Karazhan moment. Was the first area/fight set in The Barrens?

Babby Thrall growling at the end was too cute for words.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I liked this movie a lot after seeing it tonight too. It's better than it has any right to be but I'm glad I wasn't let down. As it's been said a million times I loved the orcs . They were all perfect and characterized well. And the little cameos by the other warlords was nice for fans. :)

Surprisingly Garona was not cringe worthy. If anything, the way they handled all the women characters, nth background and main was great. Drama was great and had good chemistry. And all the warrior Orc women kicked rear end.

As expected tho, Fimmel dragged this thing down. He's loving terrible and just doesn't fit in. Anytime he spoke it took me right out the movie.

I think this will appeal to anyone tho - you really can go in knowing nothing of the lore. Orcs wanna break thru cause their world has gone to poo poo. Humans fight back. Done.

Great movie.

Zug! Zug! Zug! Zug!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I went to see this pile as someone's +1 and I still feel ripped off. Everything looked like poo poo and all the actors are faxing in their performances. Looking forward to the sequels!

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Sanguinia posted:

I like "mediocre," movies, and TV, and books, and every other form of entertainment. I hate the cultural meme that's festered for the last 8 or so years that everything has to be the best thing in the history of ever tour-de-force #gamechanger or a HILARIOUS TRAIN WRECK LAWL, and the ultimate crime is to be average. Average is the trenches, without average things that play it safe but because they are so safe are willing to experiment with one or two bits, truly great art would never be made if you ask me.

Sharknado and Troll 2 may be fun for a laugh, but I'm tired of hearing about them as being preferable to "mediocre," movies. I'd rather watch something I can kick back with a bowl of popcorn and ACTUALLY enjoy, even if only in parts or at an overall low level, than waste any more hours on IRONIC enjoyment of trash.

cool thoughts from the world's most boring stupid man

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Man I liked this movie way more than I thought I would. Pretty good cinematography and effects, good battles, and I even gave a poo poo about one or two characters. Definitely getting overly negative reviews, I guess being a moderate Warcraft/blizzard fan helps a lot. If I had never heard the words "kirin tor" before I'd probably have thought it was worse.

Lothar's son was the worst part of this movie. He looked like he got plucked from a corny high school football movie and placed in a suit of armor.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The movie to World of Warcraft lore was just a treat, but the movie is a huge mess.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
It's a decent movie, I liked it. It's a good blockbuster, it's not perfect, but it's compelling enough and the fantasy design/world building is the best part of it. A lot of really bad things happen to a lot of characters, it's almost surprising compared to how lukewarm the approach to this kind of stuff is in the super hero movies. The way I'd sell it is basically: here's an 80s Conan the Barbarian style movie, with state of the art CGI. It's messy, and imperfect, but it's fun. It's getting shat on a bit too much, but seeing how well it did in China, we're definitely getting a sequel. I think that if they make the next one more focussed then it'll turn out better.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

So, the best way I can describe this movie is that it is a lot like having some really good salsa, but you have to eat it with these really stale tortilla chips that have a ton of sawdust in the bag and maybe some spiders. The salsa happens to be the fighting scenes and the chips would be synonymous with the plot, and the sawdust and spiders are the general nitpicks and other flaws. So, as long as you can get past the horrible everything else, I guess the fight scenes were satisfying. I'm just going to prepare myself for the eventual Metzen hatred/romance thing between Lothar and Garona thing to start to take center stage of the upcoming movies and ruin everything though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Vintersorg posted:

Surprisingly Garona was not cringe worthy. If anything, the way they handled all the women characters, nth background and main was great. Drama was great and had good chemistry. And all the warrior Orc women kicked rear end.

Why was she chained up in the forest for Durotan to release? It makes no sense at all. Why would Gul'dan just wander there and leave her when it's just a random orc raiding party attacking humans and he wasn't anywhere around?

And to the person who wants to see more dwarfs I'm really surprised, because they looked completely awful! I don't know why they decided to make them CGI.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Going to see this on Monday; I only started playing with Cataclysm so all this RTS era stuff is new to me. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking based off what's been put out already but I think I'll enjoy it regardless. Someone mentioned a Grom cameo, what happens there?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I thought it was ok. As a Warcraft fan, I enjoyed seeing a visual representation of the story brought to life, but I have no idea how people unfamiliar with the story will take it. After the first 30 minutes or so, the pacing settles down, but there's almost no real exposition or explanation of things before that so people might spend the slower parts wondering who is who because of the opening pace. The biggest flaw isn't really the movie so much as just the general WoW story. Seeing it film really showcases how "generic fantasy" Warcraft really is.

What really bugs me more than anything is that, while it's ok, it could have been great with just a few very minor changes. Slowing down the opening to actually explain a couple things would have done wonders. A different DP would have fixed a lot of the visual issues. As it is, the film looks very cartoon-y and very low budget despite the orcs being pretty cool. The costumes, landscapes, and everything else are just so drat bright and overly saturated that it really shows how fake the non-CGI things are. It's a weird reversal where the CGI looks so much more impressive than the actual sets.

Khadgar was cool. Garona was cool. I didn't mind Fimmel since I like him in Vikings, but it's not like they gave him much to work with since one scene has him being cool warrior and then the next he has to have a heartfelt moment to try and force emotion into the film. It's very whiplash-y.

Overall, I didn't hate it. It's a good background movie. But it was definitely a wasted opportunity that has glimpses of something that could have been so much better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did they put real draenei in or just the renamed eredar looking things.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
The best thing about Lothar is the whole plot with his son. His son was such an unimportant character that I didn't realize that he was Lothar's son until the scene where he dies. And then he gets drunk as gently caress and smooches Garona even though there teally wasn't any sexual tension between the two until that?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Groovelord Neato posted:

did they put real draenei in or just the renamed eredar looking things.

If you're asking if they look like the Broken or if they look like how Draenei look now, obviously they look like they do now. You don't see them very much though. You see a girl Draenei breifly begging for her life or son in a cage but besides that you only see blue hands reaching out of cages

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Willias posted:

The best thing about Lothar is the whole plot with his son. His son was such an unimportant character that I didn't realize that he was Lothar's son

Well also Lothar is about 30 and his son is 20. I got that it was his son (I think he explicitly says it) but it was bizzare anyway.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I loved the first paragraph of the New York Times review of this film:

quote:

Probably the best way to experience “Warcraft,” a generally amusing and sometimes visually arresting absurdity, is stoned. If watching the big screen through a cannabis cloud isn’t your idea of a good movie time, though, I suggest that you do what I did and just go with the incoherent flow. You may not grasp who the Bluto-like creatures with simian arms and woolly mammoth tusks are or why they seem permanently engorged with rage. But there’s more to movies than narrative coherency, as anyone who has sampled the cinema of Michael Bay or certain art films well knows.

Probably the best way to see the movie, fan or not

edit: I might note that in the video above the guy who liked it saw it after a few drinks, and the uptight-seeming folks who didn't like it saw it cold-sober

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 10, 2016

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

kaworu posted:

edit: I might note that in the video above the guy who liked it saw it after a few drinks, and the uptight-seeming folks who didn't like it saw it cold-sober

Might be something to that. If you're expecting the kind of Lord of the Rings self seriousness then the film isn't going to work for you. Its goofy. Our showing was mostly empty but you wouldn't have known it when the guard got sheeped or when baby Thrall showed his guns / growled fiercely

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Opening scenes with CGI pregnant orc cuddling is some primo 420 watch, true.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If there is a sequel, I hope it is about stopping gold farmers.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Not Operator posted:

Thank christ it had an aisle seat.

Can you imagine going to see a movie and sitting next to someone's gently caress doll?

At least it's going to be silent during the film.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I uh just watched this movie. It was a mess. At least to me who is familiar with the story it was a watchable mess. But these are my issues with the movie:

It's definitely a movie best watched if you turn your brain off. Which sure, is the number one rule for summer blockbusters, but this is where this movie is weird. This movie has such a weird pacing. It feels at times like it's trying really hard to be something more than a generic blockbuster action movie, probably Duncan Jones' touch, but the pieces don't fit. There are times the pacing of the movie reminds me of 80s B movies. With really slow scenes, no soundtrack, trying to milk screen time. And at the same time the movie goes by super fast, there's a lot of content and not enough time to familiarize with these characters.

The special effects were some of the worst CGI I've seen in recent times and definitely the worst CGI I've seen in such a high budget movie. I think people were nitpicking the scenes a few pages back and it's really bad. The scenes the humans are in somehow look faker than the scenes with the Orcs. At least the Orcs you just accept it's all CGI and move on. The green screen with the humans fell super flat. At times Khadgar reminded me of the first D&D movie.

With all its flaws I can't say I didn't enjoy it to some extent, but it feels like a poorly executed movie with a decent premise rather than a well executed blockbuster. I can't help but feel like it could have been so much more.

Edit: Also I'd really like to see the feedback from people who watched this movie and never played Warcraft. Even to me a lot of things were very confusing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What was so confusing tho? I think your knowledge of the lore and then thinking other people won't understand is clouding your judgement.

I seriously don't think the movie is confusing or hard to follow at all.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vintersorg posted:

What was so confusing tho? I think your knowledge of the lore and then thinking other people won't understand is clouding your judgement.

I seriously don't think the movie is confusing or hard to follow at all.

No, I'm not projecting. I was left with some specific questions, like:

What is Garona exactly? The movie doesn't make it clear whether she's a half-human like in the original WC, a half-draenei like it was retconned, or something else.
Who is the woman that appears to Khadgar? Maybe I missed or misheard some key dialogue that explains it, and I don't remember her from WC1. She reminds me of the ghost girl from the Tomb Raider movie that has pretty much no explanation.
What is Medivh's pool for exactly and why does he need to go to it all the time. Does it heal him? Is it his life support? Is it the thing that's corrupting him?

I imagine they all make sense and have answers, but upon a first viewing I didn't really get them. The broad strokes of the story are pretty simple though, yes. A lot of the critics say they felt overwhelmed by the amount of information, hence why I'm curious about how people who didn't play any of the Warcrafts feel.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Elentor posted:

No, I'm not projecting. I was left with some specific questions, like:

What is Garona exactly? The movie doesn't make it clear whether she's a half-human like in the original WC, a half-draenei like it was retconned, or something else.
Who is the woman that appears to Khadgar? Maybe I missed or misheard some key dialogue that explains it, and I don't remember her from WC1. She reminds me of the ghost girl from the Tomb Raider movie that has pretty much no explanation.
What is Medivh's pool for exactly and why does he need to go to it all the time. Does it heal him? Is it his life support? Is it the thing that's corrupting him?

I imagine they all make sense and have answers, but upon a first viewing I didn't really get them. The broad strokes of the story are pretty simple though, yes. A lot of the critics say they felt overwhelmed by the amount of information, hence why I'm curious about how people who didn't play any of the Warcrafts feel.

1) Medivh is the one who summoned the orcs to azeroth. He also told a story about how he met a strong alien woman who loved him. Hint, Hint.
2) No idea, although from my knowledge of warcraft lore I'm betting either Medivh or Khadgars mother
3) Its a magic pool. Fel Magic is the thing corrupting him, and its doing it because he used fel magic to get the orcs to azeroth

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrFlibble posted:

1) Medivh is the one who summoned the orcs to azeroth. He also told a story about how he met a strong alien woman who loved him. Hint, Hint.
2) No idea, although from my knowledge of warcraft lore I'm betting either Medivh or Khadgars mother
3) Its a magic pool. Fel Magic is the thing corrupting him, and its doing it because he used fel magic to get the orcs to azeroth

Oh, I must have missed 1, I really don't remember that.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

MrFlibble posted:

No:1 makes sense. I was wondering how blue Heroin addict looking aliens + Orcs makes a green human

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone tell me how this is as a standalone fantasy movie without relating it to the games in the slightest

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Someone tell me how this is as a standalone fantasy movie without relating it to the games in the slightest

Well, a lot of the draw is that you're seeing a movie version of a game you're a fan of, but overall it's a decent romp of a standalone fantasy.

One thing I forgot I liked: the Alliance realizing they can't fight these giant green motherfuckers with their swords very well, so they just whip out the shotguns on them.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So yesterday when I saw it I got back very late and only posted a quick thing. After about a day to think on it I have a few more things to say.

I saw all of the LOTR films during the first week of release, same with the Hobbit films.

I think I enjoyed Warcraft more than any of them. I think Warcraft works as a complete film better than any of them individually. The only bad scene that sticks out in my memory is Garona and Lothar after his son died but even that kind of works.

I understand why its not for everyone - after the film I was talking to one of my brothers friends and the conversation was so nerdy I kept an eye out to make sure no one came within earshot. But going in I expected a disaster and I am shocked at how much I enjoyed it.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

I thought it was Aegwynn but they called her something different. Apparently it is a character from the Warcraft Manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
It's just a naaru, isn't it?

• Locked thread