Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

That's incorrect. You can totally spend two focus: one for calc and one for regular focuses.

Even more to this point, you can spend focus normally multiple times on the same attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Cobbsprite posted:

In a moment of utter embarrassment that will live with me for the rest of my days, I just read "88B" as "BB-8" and wondered how BB-8 was flying a starfighter.

At least it wasn't just me :ohdear:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

lazerus06 posted:

Here is the Jump Master/Slaver combo I was going to try next:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...=New%20Squadron

Edit - Totally not my idea, found this list combing through some forums looking for ideas for a Dengar/Bossk build.

My Dengar/Bossk build was a bit different, but similar. Dengar crew card is just so good though.

This combines Dengar with the HLC mentioned above.

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Brunas posted:

I'm officially blackout tired today. Tomorrow at like 6:30 PM EST sound good to you?

I'm General Battuta on steam. Hanging out in the goon Xwing group right now.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
HAPPENING NOW
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Game: star wars x wang
password: lljk

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What's the blue ipod thing? Why is there a Raider?

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Chemmy posted:

What's the blue ipod thing? Why is there a Raider?

It's a blue ipod thing. It's built into TTS and plays extremely annoying music. Also, why wouldn't you have a raider? Or ten?

EDIT:
slightly important things happening

Brunas fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 10, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone know if the X-wing on Vassal is still updated and supported? My friend and I can't stand playing it on TTS anymore since it's way too much trouble compared to vassal.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone know if the X-wing on Vassal is still updated and supported? My friend and I can't stand playing it on TTS anymore since it's way too much trouble compared to vassal.

Yep, it's still running and much more popular than TTS

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Well, he was. Now his children are in an orphanage and it's YOUR FAULT

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Brunas posted:

Yep, it's still running and much more popular than TTS

Oh good. I don't want to deal with setting up minis and dials and poo poo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dash and Jan lost to a budget party bus, Drea madness and Palob. Blew Palob out with five hits, including a direct hit from Greedo. Drea murdered him with Protons that I couldn't get away from due to bad guessing.

I made some borrowing and next week I'm running Mad Cow Disease. Moooooo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I made some borrowing and next week I'm running Mad Cow Disease. Moooooo.

You poor unfortunate soul.

It's going to catch some people off guard, but be aware that your first engagement is probably going to be your last engagement. You want to set up a killbox and get them stuck in it. Depending on the ships you're facing, this might mean getting allt he cows into the fight together. For others, you might bring them in 2 at a time

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Good game with Finster Dexter this morning, although I feel like I kind of snatched victory from the more skilled player. Really got clowned on quite a lot by how maneuverable Dash is with the boosting and rolling and the whatnot.

Here's my week 5 list for posterity: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/514073/ps8-imperials

I only got one missile off with Tomax and I never needed Crack Shot so I'm thinking something else, maybe Adrenaline Rush or Lightning Reflexes might have been a better choice, since maybe it would have resulted in a few more shots going off. I want to like the TIE/sa but it's tough!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Brunas posted:

this needs to be big, no thumbnails for you nerds

Bad PS9 pilots (STROBE TRIGGER WARNING):

I just want everyone to know that I defended Wedge's honor against Brunas today, to good effect.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh good. I don't want to deal with setting up minis and dials and poo poo

You confuse me. TTS is super easy to setup with all the work they have put in but as was mentioned Vassal is still regularly updated and has a super big following.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I just want everyone to know that I defended Wedge's honor against Brunas today, to good effect.

:golfclap:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I want to play a Rebel list tomorrow with 1-2 T-65s, but I'm just not coming up with anything. Someone sell me on what ships to run.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Otisburg posted:

I want to play a Rebel list tomorrow with 1-2 T-65s, but I'm just not coming up with anything. Someone sell me on what ships to run.

Wes as the utility (removing tokens, stressing people) and either Wedge for power or Luke for staying alive.

Other options: Porkins with PTL, R5-D8 and IA for fun, Tarn with R7 and IA for a cheap-o, or the classic Rookie Pilot with Protons, Guidance Chimps, and R2.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Herux posted:

You confuse me. TTS is super easy to setup with all the work they have put in but as was mentioned Vassal is still regularly updated and has a super big following.

Vassal is much easier and doesn't require constant slaving of dials, weird bugs, physically rolling dice, inputting commands, and other weird necessities. Just put some squares on the table and right click everything. It saves so much time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The cold calculations of a computer that spits out a number is no substitute for rolling dice, digital or real.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Otisburg posted:

Biggs as well is always good. Kind of hard to go wrong with him.

I would want to try that Wes/Biggs/Corran list the guy won Utah regionals with, lots of T-65s and an Ewing to boot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Luke Skywalker (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wes Jansen (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R3-A2 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Tycho Celchu (26)
A-wing Test Pilot (0)
Push the Limit (3)
Rage (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Proton Rockets (3)

Total: 100

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Strobe posted:

Luke Skywalker (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wes Jansen (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R3-A2 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Tycho Celchu (26)
A-wing Test Pilot (0)
Push the Limit (3)
Rage (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Proton Rockets (3)

Total: 100

I like this. I will run this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Otisburg posted:

I like this. I will run this.

I have a real hard time spending mid-30s on an A-Wing. :(

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Hey all - long-time 40k player finally hopping on the X-Wing wagon. Only played a few games so far, mostly teaching my brother and friends, and not yet up to the 100pt level (mostly still using the starter box contents).

My brother was fielding a TIE Bomber last night, and I wanted some input from you all on using the bombs. Any tricks to getting maximum utility out of them? Can you confirm that the bomb token is taken off the field at the end of the turn, regardless of whether it was triggered/detonated? Seems tricky to pull off properly.

The highlight of last night's game was twice using the Y-Wing's ion cannon to cause his TIE Interceptor to crash into asteroids. Supremely satisfying. (And ignore that stray evade token, I don' know why it's on the mat. Well aware it's not a viable Y-Wing action.)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BuffaloChicken posted:

My brother was fielding a TIE Bomber last night, and I wanted some input from you all on using the bombs. Any tricks to getting maximum utility out of them? Can you confirm that the bomb token is taken off the field at the end of the turn, regardless of whether it was triggered/detonated? Seems tricky to pull off properly.

There are two types of bombs

Bombs dropped when you reveal your dial, such as Seismic Charges. These detonate at the end of the activation phase (after everyone moves/does action, before anyone shoots). Always.

Then there are mines, such as Proximity Mines and Connor Nets. These require an Action to drop, and they stay on the board until something forces them to detonate (usually something running into them).

In neither case are the bombs removed at the end of the turn.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

I have a real hard time spending mid-30s on an A-Wing. :(

It's a mid-30s point A-wing that's going to lay five hits on some poor tokenless rear end in a top hat on the third or four turn of the game. Should be fun.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

There are two types of bombs

Bombs dropped when you reveal your dial, such as Seismic Charges. These detonate at the end of the activation phase (after everyone moves/does action, before anyone shoots). Always.

Then there are mines, such as Proximity Mines and Connor Nets. These require an Action to drop, and they stay on the board until something forces them to detonate (usually something running into them).

In neither case are the bombs removed at the end of the turn.
Sorry, meant activation phase. Used the term "turn" too loosely. Appreciate the quick response. Two other questions, and apologies again if my phrasing isn't yet 100% on point. Hopefully the meaning comes across and you can skip getting caught on semantics.

1) The bomb cards included with the TIE Bomber show a bomb icon, but I don't see that corresponding icon on the TIE Bomber pilot cards' equipment slots. I assume the TIE Bombers can take the bombs, but what am I missing? How are they equipped?

2) Can TIE Bombers take Proximity Mines and Connor Nets? Where are those cards acquired?

Thanks in advance for any answers... want to make sure this newest ship is being used effectively and correctly! I'll take some time to look over the cards again when I can, as everything is rather packed away at the moment.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The last icon on the TIE bomber's available upgrades is the bomb, isn't it?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BuffaloChicken posted:

2) Can TIE Bombers take Proximity Mines and Connor Nets? Where are those cards acquired?

Yeah, they can take any bombs/mines with the 'seismic charge' bomb icon, as mentioned above. The Connor Net cards and templates are available through the K-Wing and Ghost expansion packs, while the Proxy Mine templates and cards are available via the Slave 1 and IG-2000 (Aggressor) expansions.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 10, 2016

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
In case it isn't clear, I highlighted the bomb icon on the TIE Bomber's pilot card and the one on Seismic Charges for you:

Been trying to get a little more use out of bombers myself, hasn't been easy!

I guess sort of ironically you can only equip one bomb on a Bomber, unless you also equip Extra Munitions (which takes a torpedo slot and comes with the TIE Punisher)

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Well, that's embarrassing. I just pulled everything out again to check and, sure enough, the bomb icon is right there. Only excuse I have is that it was 2am and we were perhaps a few more drinks in at that point than I realized. Thanks for pointing this obvious thing out to my blind, idiot self!

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, they can take any bombs/mines with the 'seismic charge' bomb icon, as mentioned above. The Connor Net cards and templates are available through the K-Wing and Ghost expansion packs, while the Proxy Mine templates and cards are available via the Slave 1 and IG-2000 (Aggressor) expansions.
Appreciate the direction towards where to pick those cards/templates up. Shame that Scum ships can't be made available to Rebel/Imperial forces as hired hands - my brother loves Slave 1, and I always had a soft spot for the Virago. Someday he may pick that faction up, but I already feel like we have a wealth of options to explore with our tiny Rebel and Imperial forces.

I'm sure I'll be back with more dumb questions soon!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The Slave 1 expansion is Imperial, actually. The scum version comes in Most Wanted.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BuffaloChicken posted:

Shame that Scum ships can't be made available to Rebel/Imperial forces as hired hands - my brother loves Slave 1, and I always had a soft spot for the Virago.

Well, good news for your brother if he plays Imps, the default version of Slave 1 is Imperial and still perfectly legal to play that way. Running him as Scum requires you to purchase the alternate cardboard from the Most Wanted pack.

E:

General Battuta posted:

The Slave 1 expansion is Imperial, actually. The scum version comes in Most Wanted.

:arghfist:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Otisburg posted:

Well, good news for your brother if he plays Imps, the default version of Slave 1 is Imperial and still perfectly legal to play that way. Running him as Scum requires you to purchase the alternate cardboard from the Most Wanted pack.
:swoon:

Time to surprise him, then! Cheers!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BuffaloChicken posted:

Appreciate the direction towards where to pick those cards/templates up. Shame that Scum ships can't be made available to Rebel/Imperial forces as hired hands - my brother loves Slave 1, and I always had a soft spot for the Virago. Someday he may pick that faction up, but I already feel like we have a wealth of options to explore with our tiny Rebel and Imperial forces.

I'm sure I'll be back with more dumb questions soon!

No worries! One good site to find out what packs you can get which upgrades, pilots, etc. in is the X-Wing Wikia page - you can even search for individual cards, rather than just by expansions/ships.

And remember, the only dumb question is the one left unasked!

EDIT: Also, to expand on what I've already said, some builders (most popular ones being X-Wing YASB and UK squad builder allow you to filter cards by expansion, too.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 10, 2016

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

One good site to find out what packs you can get which upgrades, pilots, etc. in is the X-Wing Wikia page - you can even search for individual cards, rather than just by expansions/ships.
Fantastic resource! Just sent to my brother, as he really enjoyed the game but all the ships/rules/cards are with me. I know he's been hankering to do some reading before we get together for our next game, so this will be a big help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm beginning to think that Jukevader/Jukes of Earl is a legitimately Good List.

• Locked thread